New Tax Reforms to Begin January 1, 2026, Says Taiwo Oyedele

Taiwo Oyedele, Chairman of the Presidential Fiscal Policy and Tax Reforms Committee, has confirmed that Nigeria’s new tax reforms will be implemented starting January 1, 2026. Speaking to journalists after the National Tax Policy Implementation Committee (NTPIC), chaired by Joseph Tegbe, visited President Bola Tinubu in Lagos, Oyedele explained that the reforms aim to ease the tax burden on Nigerians and stimulate economic growth. He said, “The implementation of the two remaining new tax laws will proceed as scheduled on January 1, 2026. These reforms are designed to provide relief to the Nigerian people. “About 98 per cent of workers will either pay no PAYE tax or reduced amounts; small businesses, representing 97 per cent of the sector, will be exempted from corporate income tax, VAT, and withholding tax, while larger companies will see a reduction in their tax obligations. “The goal is to foster economic growth, inclusivity, and shared prosperity. We are pleased with the progress and look forward to the reforms taking effect at the start of the new year.”

Read More

Nigerian Air Force C-130 Aircraft NAF 913 Arrives Safely in Lisbon After Burkina Faso Incident

The Nigerian Air Force has confirmed the safe arrival of its C-130 aircraft, NAF 913, at a maintenance facility in Lisbon, Portugal. The aircraft and its crew had previously been detained by Burkina Faso on December 8 over alleged airspace violations, which the country described as a breach of its sovereignty. The personnel were released about 10 days later following diplomatic talks led by Nigeria’s Minister of Foreign Affairs, Yusuf Tuggar, who met with Burkina Faso President Ibrahim Traoré and officials of his administration. In a statement on Friday, NAF spokesperson Air Commodore Ehimen Ejodame said the ferry flight to Lisbon was completed according to an updated flight plan and established aviation safety procedures. “The Nigerian Air Force confirms that its C-130 aircraft (NAF 913) arrived safely at the maintenance facility, OGMA, in Lisbon, Portugal today, 26 December 2025,” the statement read. “The aircraft transited Banjul and Casablanca and arrived without incident, marking the final phase of the movement for scheduled depot maintenance. All personnel are safe and in high spirits. “The Nigerian Air Force appreciates the cooperation of host authorities during the transit and reaffirms its commitment to the highest standards of safety, professionalism, and operational accountability.”

Read More

SGF George Akume Officially Weds Former Ooni of Ife’s Wife, Queen Zaynab

Senator George Akume, the Secretary to the Government of the Federation, has officially married Queen Zaynab Ngohemba, the former wife of the Ooni of Ife, Oba Adeyeye Enitan Ogunwusi. The union was announced on Friday by Abraham Double-d Dajoh, a member of the Dajoh family, through a celebratory post on Facebook. The family, based in Mbakor, Benue State, described the marriage as “beautiful” and “uncommon,” formally welcoming Queen Zaynab into their fold. In the post, the Dajoh family shared their joy, writing: “We, the entire Dajoh Family, happily join our daddy, uncle, and brother, His Excellency, The Secretary To The Government Of The Federation, Sen. George Akume Jugu Dajoh, in welcoming his new and uncommon wife, Queen Zaynab Ngohemba-George Akume Dajoh, into the Dajoh family.” The statement also thanked supporters of the SGF and encouraged them to continue their loyalty, saying: “We appreciate and thank the fans and supporters of Sen. Akume for always standing by him. We enjoin everyone to continue to support his Excellency even in this beautiful union with Queen Zaynab.” Queen Zaynab, formerly known as Olori Wuraola during her 17-month marriage to the Ooni of Ife, which ended in 2017, was ceremonially welcomed into her new home in Mbakor with cultural reverence. The family highlighted the importance of their Tiv roots and the significance of Benue State, saying: “Welcome to Benue State, the Food Basket of the Nation; welcome to Mbakor, the seat of leadership of the Tiv nation; and welcome to the Dajoh family, the home of your darling husband. Welcome home, Queen Zaynab.” The announcement also coincided with the festive season, with the family extending holiday greetings: “We wish you all a happy Christmas Celebration and a Prosperous New Year.” Senator Akume, a former Governor of Benue State and a prominent figure in President Bola Tinubu’s administration, has sparked nationwide attention with his marriage to Queen Zaynab, a well-known humanitarian and former royal. When contacted, Akume’s spokesman, Yomi Odunuga, confirmed the marriage, clarifying that it is over a year old. He also dispelled claims that the wedding took place on December 24 in Gboko, explaining that the couple’s appearance at a Christmas event led to the misunderstanding.

Read More

Police Arrest Two Banditry and Kidnapping Kingpins Linked to Crimes Across Four States

Operatives of the Force Intelligence Department of the Nigeria Police Force have recorded a major breakthrough with the arrest of two suspected bandits and kidnapping leaders linked to violent crimes across Katsina, Zamfara, Niger and Kwara States. The arrests were disclosed in a statement released on Friday by the Force Public Relations Officer, CSP Benjamin Hundeyin. He said the operation was carried out on December 19, 2025, by the Force Intelligence Department–Intelligence Response Team, working in collaboration with the Kwara State Police Command. The suspects were apprehended during a covert operation along the Komen–Masallaci axis of Kaiama Local Government Area in Kwara State. They were identified as Abubakar Usman, also known as Siddi’m, aged 26, and Shehu Mohammadu, also known as Gide’m, aged 30. Both were arrested in Komen–Masallaci village. Police revealed that Abubakar Usman had recently been identified as the individual seen in a viral video circulating on social media, where he was allegedly displaying firearms and large sums of money. Items recovered from the suspects include a brand new red Honda Ace 125 motorcycle valued at ₦1.85 million, which investigators said was bought with ransom proceeds, ₦500,000 in cash believed to be unspent ransom money, and an AK-47 rifle with a magazine loaded with 20 rounds of live ammunition. Preliminary investigations indicate that the suspects are members of a dangerous banditry and kidnapping syndicate responsible for attacks across several states. Further findings also suggest that the group supplies arms and ammunition to other armed criminal gangs. The police said both suspects are cooperating with investigators to help track down other members of the network and recover additional weapons. The Inspector-General of Police, Kayode Adeolu Egbetokun, praised the operatives involved for their professionalism and dedication, and reassured Nigerians of the Force’s commitment to dismantling criminal networks and strengthening national security. He also urged the public to continue providing timely and credible information to support ongoing police operations.

Read More

Chinua Soludo Spreads Christmas Cheer by Paying Hospital Bills for Patients in Anambra

Chinua Soludo, son of Anambra State Governor Professor Chukwuma Soludo, brightened the holiday season for patients in the state by paying off hospital bills at three medical facilities on Christmas Day. His visits included St. Joseph’s Hospital in Adazi Nnukwu (Anaocha LGA), General Hospital in Nnobi (Idemili South LGA), and General Hospital in Ekwulobia (Aguata LGA). At St. Joseph’s Hospital, he cleared the bills of more than five patients, including a woman who had been held after discharge; her ₦933,500 bill was fully settled. In Nnobi, he paid over ₦120,000 for a patient treated for acute malaria, allowing them to return home and celebrate Christmas with family. The goodwill extended to Ekwulobia General Hospital, where 10 women received help with their medical expenses and transportation, ensuring they could safely enjoy the holiday with their loved ones. Families and beneficiaries expressed profound gratitude, praying for blessings and protection for Soludo, and describing his gesture as a rare example of compassion and generosity. This is not the first time Chinua Soludo has carried out such charitable acts. Last year, he visited Chukwuemeka Odumegwu Ojukwu Teaching Hospital in Awka, where he settled the bills of dozens of patients, further solidifying his reputation for philanthropy.

Read More

Sokoto Residents Report Alleged Drone Strikes By US

Residents of Tangaza and Tambuwal Local Government Areas in Sokoto State have reported what they believe were drone strikes on their communities, allegedly conducted by the United States military. An ARISE News correspondent gathered that one incident occurred in Jabo District of Tambuwal, a community previously untouched by insecurity. Locals said panic erupted when they spotted an object resembling a small aircraft approaching the area. One resident said they noticed the object while seated in their home. The reported strike left a large crater, and fire was seen at the site, but no houses were damaged and no injuries were recorded. Residents also recovered metal fragments, which they plan to hand over to authorities for investigation. In Tangaza, similar attacks were reported on suspected hideouts of the Lakurawa group. A local government official, who requested anonymity, said the strikes took place between 10 p.m. and midnight in Warriya and Alkasim villages. He added that the full impact, including potential civilian casualties, is yet to be determined. “Security operatives are expected to visit the affected areas in the morning to verify what happened,” he said. Despite these claims, several sources, including local authorities, stated that no airstrikes were recorded in eastern Sokoto State, a region long affected by banditry. Efforts to reach DSP Ahmad Rufa’i, spokesperson for the Sokoto State Police Command, for comment were unsuccessful.

Read More

Sheikh Gumi Urges Nigerians to Embrace Peaceful Coexistence With Herdsmen to Prevent Security Risks

Sheikh Ahmad Gumi has urged Nigerians to foster peaceful relations with herdsmen, warning that seeing them as enemies could worsen the country’s security challenges. In a video making rounds on social media, the Islamic cleric emphasized that herdsmen are a vital part of Nigerian society and should be treated as neighbours rather than adversaries. He cautioned that any animosity toward them could be exploited by individuals or groups seeking to destabilize communities. Gumi noted that unresolved tensions between herders and local populations risk being manipulated by actors who benefit from conflict. He stressed that learning to live together peacefully is key to safeguarding national unity and preventing insecurity. He stated: “Herdsmen are going nowhere. They are part of us, and we are part of them. We must learn to live together. They’re our neighbours, so we should never allow them to be our enemies. If we make that mistake, we’re finished, because our real enemies will use them against us.” “Herdsmen are going nowhere. They are part of us, and we are part of them. We must learn to live together and should never become enemies with them.” — Sheikh Gumi pic.twitter.com/i4Bbu6pgC6 — CHUKS 🍥 (@ChuksEricE) December 26, 2025

Read More

Panic In Kwara As Explosions Rock Offa Hours After US Airstrikes In Nigeria

Residents of Offa, Kwara State, were thrown into fear late Thursday night after explosions shook parts of the town, destroying property and raising security concerns, just hours after the United States carried out airstrikes on ISIS targets in northwest Nigeria. The blasts reportedly occurred around midnight on Christmas Day at two separate locations. Witnesses told The PUNCH that the first explosion affected buildings near the Eid praying ground, while a second occurred close to Solid Worth Hotel, about a five-minute walk from the first site. An undetonated device was reportedly discovered at the second location, prompting heightened security measures. The exact source and nature of the explosions were still unclear at the time of reporting. Confirming the incident, Chief Press Secretary to the Executive Chairman of Offa Local Government, Abiola Azeez Babatunde, said the council was aware of online reports about the explosions. “The Offa Local Government has taken note of reports circulating regarding a suspected ordnance-related incident that occurred in the precinct of Offa Yidi Praying Ground on December 25, 2025. The affected areas have been cordoned off by security agencies to allow for thorough investigation,” Babatunde said. He added that the Local Government Chairman, Suleiman Olatunji Omituntun, visited the scene immediately to assess the situation firsthand. “The Executive Chairman, Hon. Suleiman Olatunji Omituntun, visited the location immediately after the incident to assess the situation. Residents are urged to remain calm, vigilant, and law-abiding while security agencies carry out their investigations,” the statement added. A security source, who spoke on condition of anonymity, told The PUNCH that the objects that struck buildings in Offa were components from a missile, not conventional explosives. “There was an airstrike by the US in collaboration with the Nigerian government against terrorists in Sokoto. The operation involved more than a dozen Tomahawk cruise missiles launched from a US warship in the Gulf of Guinea. What was found in Offa is not a bomb but a component of a missile that was launched,” the source said. The explosions came shortly after US President Donald Trump confirmed airstrikes targeting ISIS positions in northwest Nigeria, particularly Sokoto State. While there is no official link between the US strikes and the Offa incident, the timing has heightened public anxiety, with residents calling for increased security and clarification from authorities. The Kwara State Police Public Relations Officer, SP Adetoun Ejire-Adeyemi, confirmed the incident, stating that investigations are ongoing. “Discrete investigations are ongoing to reveal exactly what happened. Please be patient,” she said. Offa is located roughly 540 to 550 kilometres from Sokoto. As of Friday morning, no casualties had been reported, and the state government and security agencies have yet to release a detailed statement on the explosions.

Read More