Nigeria Gave Intelligence, Greenlight For US Terror Airstrike — Foreign Affairs Minister

Nigeria’s Minister of Foreign Affairs, Yusuf Tuggar, has disclosed that Nigeria supplied the intelligence that led to the recent United States airstrike on terrorist targets in the country and also gave formal clearance before the operation was carried out. Tuggar made the revelation on Friday during an interview on Channels Television, a day after the US confirmed it had conducted the strike as part of its counter-terrorism operations. He explained that the strike was the product of ongoing security collaboration between Nigeria and the United States and had no religious undertone. “It’s Nigeria that provided the intelligence. I was on the phone yesterday for 19 minutes with Secretary of State Marco Rubio of the United States. We spoke extensively, and we agreed that I was going to speak with President Tinubu for President Tinubu to give the go-ahead,” Tuggar said. “And I did speak with him and it was agreed also that the statements that would follow would be statements that would show clearly that it is a strike against terrorism and that it is part of the ongoing joint operations between Nigeria and collaboration between Nigeria and the United States.” The minister said Nigeria has consistently sought stronger partnerships with the US and other countries to tackle terrorism, describing the strike as evidence of the Tinubu administration’s commitment to security. “Nigeria has remained consistent in its approach, which is to work with all partners that are committed to the fight against terrorism, irrespective of what religion, who the victims are, whether they are Muslims or Christians, and irrespective of what type of terrorism, be it terrorism being carried out in the name of one religion or the other, or indeed even banditry. So this is an ongoing process.” He added, “We have been working closely with the Americans. This is what we’ve always been hoping for: to work with the Americans, work with other countries to combat terrorism, to stop the death of innocent Nigerians. So this is a vindication of the Tinubu administration. “For those who thought that there was some foot-dragging or the government wasn’t doing enough, it is a clear indication that we are committed and we are prepared to work with all countries.” Tuggar stressed that the operation had nothing to do with religion, noting that its sole objective was the protection of lives. “It is not to do with religion, it is to do with protecting Nigerians and the innocent lives of either Nigerians or non-Nigerians. This was clear. We spoke twice. “We spoke for 19 minutes before the strike, and then we spoke again for another five minutes before it went on.” The US President, Donald Trump, had earlier confirmed that American forces carried out an airstrike targeting suspected terrorist elements in Nigeria.

Read More

Ogun Police Arrest Eight Yoruba Nation Agitators Over Christmas Day Road Block, Assault On Officers

The Ogun State Police Command has arrested eight people following a Christmas Day disturbance in Sango-Ota linked to the Democratic Republic of the Yoruba group. The suspects face charges including unlawful assembly, obstruction of traffic, and assault on police officers. The incident occurred on December 25 at Temidire Junction and the Under-Bridge area, where members of the group allegedly blocked roads, set bonfires, and disrupted traffic. DSP Oluseyi Babaseyi, the Police Public Relations Officer, confirmed the arrests in a statement on Friday. Babaseyi said, “On 25th December 2025, Christmas Day, a group agitating under the aegis of ‘Democratic Republic of the Yoruba’ unlawfully barricaded roads, set bonfires, disrupted traffic, and attacked police officers deployed to maintain law and order.” Police quickly mobilised to the area, dispersing the group and arresting Adewale Sosanya, 48; Opeyemi Oladotun, 31; Zara Gabriel, 22; Ajoke Gabriel, 19; Adewale Adebomojo, 48; Yusuf Tanimowo, 40; Olurotimi Ademola, 52; and Toyin Gabriel, 40. Items recovered from the suspects included a Toyota Dyna used to transport them, two broadcast speakers, a carton of flags, shirts with agitation inscriptions, and banners displaying their messages. The suspects will be arraigned in court after investigations are completed. CP Lanre Ogunlowo assured residents of the police’s commitment to maintaining security, warning that attacks on officers would be met with firm action. He urged the public to report suspicious activities through the Ogun State Police emergency lines.

Read More

Omoyele Sowore Condemns US Military Strikes In Nigeria, Urges Strong Local Leadership

Activist and political commentator Omoyele Sowore has criticized the recent U.S. military strikes in Nigeria, insisting that the country’s security can only be guaranteed by capable Nigerian leadership, not foreign powers Sowore shared his reaction on X following reports that U.S. President Donald Trump and U.S. Secretary of War Pete Hegseth authorized attacks on suspected terrorist groups in Nigeria on Christmas Day. “Although the Nigerian government claims it was aware and describes the operation as a joint effort with vague ‘international partners,’ it is clear that the strikes occurred without the genuine authority or informed consent of the weak individuals masquerading as government under President Bola Tinubu,” he said. He also criticized the U.S., noting that the strikes, reportedly targeting a village in Sokoto, reflect a lack of understanding and concern for Nigeria and its citizens. “It is deeply troubling that Nigeria, Africa’s most populous nation, lacks competent and sovereign leadership to protect its people and territory,” Sowore added, warning that the country has effectively become a bystander while its sovereignty is undermined. He stressed that only “true, tested, and informed leadership” within Nigeria can adequately safeguard its citizens, cautioning against dependence on foreign powers or “imperiled, jaundiced neoconservatives operating from Washington, D.C.” Sowore’s comments have reignited debates over foreign military involvement in Nigeria and the nation’s ability to independently tackle its security challenges.

Read More

Ogun Governor Dapo Abiodun Gifts 2025 SUVs To 20 Local Government Chairmen

Ogun State Governor, Dapo Abiodun, on Thursday presented brand-new 2025 Toyota Corolla Cross SUVs to the chairmen of the state’s 20 local government areas, adding a festive highlight to the Christmas season. The presentation took place in Abeokuta, with the chairmen expressing gratitude for the governor’s gesture. Represented by the Commissioner for Local Government and Chieftaincy Affairs, Hon. Ganiyu Hamzat, Governor Abiodun said the vehicles were provided to improve efficiency and strengthen governance at the grassroots level. He praised the chairmen for their partnership in delivering the dividends of democracy and reaffirmed his administration’s commitment to supporting local governments in driving socio-economic development. “Our administration understands the challenges faced at the grassroots and the obstacles in delivering essential services,” the governor said. “These vehicles are meant to facilitate swift and effective outreach, ensuring that rural communities experience good governance without impediments.” Folashade Adeyemo, Ogun State Chairman of the Association of Local Governments of Nigeria and Chairperson of Odeda Local Government, spoke on behalf of the beneficiaries, describing the gift as a timely boost to the Yuletide celebrations. She commended Governor Abiodun for his achievements in education, housing, healthcare, and road infrastructure, saying his ISEYA mantra has raised the state’s development profile. “This gesture makes Christmas even more memorable,” Adeyemo said. “It will enhance efficiency, allowing local governments to reach remote communities, monitor projects, and engage more effectively with the people.” Dr. Rotimiolu Akinlesi, Permanent Secretary in the Ministry of Local Government and Chieftaincy Affairs, also lauded the governor for the SUVs, emphasizing that the gesture would further strengthen grassroots governance. He urged chairmen to match the state government’s support with dedicated service to their communities. The initiative comes amid ongoing challenges facing local governments in Nigeria, particularly regarding autonomy and financial independence. Despite a Supreme Court ruling last October directing state governments to grant local governments greater autonomy, many remain dependent on state governments, limiting effective grassroots service delivery and development.

Read More

Odumeje Says He Celebrates ‘Chrismarity’ Not Christmas

Controversial cleric Odumeje has clarified that he does not take part in traditional Christmas celebrations. Speaking to his congregation while dressed in a Christmas-themed outfit, Odumeje said he observes what he calls “Chrismarity” rather than Christmas. He explained that the term Christmas, in his view, resembles performing a mass, whereas “Chrismarity” reflects a more Christlike celebration. “I am not celebrating Christmas, but I am celebrating Chrismarity. That is Christly. That is enjoyment. Christmas is like just doing mass. But Chrismarity is everything. It is Christlike. Merry Christmas!” he stated.   View this post on Instagram  

Read More

Sheikh Ahmad Gumi Urges FG To Suspend US Military Cooperation Over Airstrikes

Islamic scholar Sheikh Ahmad Gumi has called on the Federal Government to immediately halt all military collaboration with the United States following reports of US airstrikes in Nigeria. In a statement posted on his Facebook page on Friday, Gumi warned that American involvement could exacerbate the country’s security challenges and undermine national sovereignty. He stressed that while Islam permits fighting terrorism, such operations should be carried out by parties with “clean hands,” arguing that the US lacks the moral authority due to its global military record. Gumi criticised Nigeria for allowing foreign powers to participate in its counterterrorism efforts, saying such interventions often lead to civilian casualties and serve hidden political agendas. “Terrorists do not truly fight terrorists; they may only kill innocent people and have ulterior motives behind the drama of fighting ‘terror’,” he said. The cleric further cautioned that permitting Nigeria to become a battleground could draw anti-US forces into the country, worsening instability. He also warned that framing US actions as protecting Christians could heighten religious tensions. Gumi emphasised that airstrikes alone cannot defeat terrorism and called for robust, well-coordinated ground operations, which he said Nigeria has sufficient personnel to conduct. He suggested that if Nigeria seeks foreign military assistance, countries like China, Turkey, and Pakistan would be more suitable partners.

Read More

Ooni Of Ife Pays Christmas Day Visit To President Tinubu In Lagos

Ooni of Ife, Oba Adeyeye Enitan Ogunwusi, paid a visit to President Bola Ahmed Tinubu and First Lady, Senator Oluremi Tinubu, at the President’s residence in Lagos on Thursday, December 25, 2025. The visit took place on Christmas Day and was described as cordial, reflecting the close ties between the traditional ruler and the First Family. While details of their discussion were not disclosed, the meeting was seen as part of ongoing engagements between traditional institutions and the nation’s political leadership. The visit highlighted the importance of collaboration and mutual respect between cultural authorities and the federal government, particularly on issues related to unity, heritage, and national progress.

Read More

Presidency Denies Reports Of Gbajabiamila’s Removal As Chief Of Staff

The Presidency has refuted claims that President Bola Ahmed Tinubu has removed Femi Gbajabiamila as Chief of Staff and appointed his Principal Private Secretary, Hakeem Muri-Okunola, as a replacement. The rebuttal followed the spread of several social media posts alleging a shake-up within the President’s inner circle, with some of the claims attributed to unnamed “insider” sources. In a statement released on Thursday, the President’s Special Adviser on Information and Strategy, Bayo Onanuga, dismissed the reports as false and misleading, urging Nigerians to ignore them. “The attention of the Presidency has been drawn to a viral falsehood circulating on social media suggesting that President Bola Ahmed Tinubu has replaced his Chief of Staff, Hon. Femi Gbajabiamila, with his Principal Private Secretary, Hakeem Muri-Okunola. There is absolutely no truth to this story. We advise Nigerians to disregard it entirely. “The Chief of Staff remains in his position. The Principal Private Secretary likewise remains in his role. Hakeem Muri-Okunola has not replaced Femi Gbajabiamila as Chief of Staff.” According to the Presidency, the story was deliberately fabricated by individuals peddling fake news to stir confusion and sow discord within the administration. Onanuga further warned media organisations and social media users against spreading unverified information, stressing the need for proper fact-checking and responsible reporting before publishing or sharing claims.

Read More