Akpabio Files N200bn Defamation Suit Against Senator Natasha Over Harassment Allegation

Senate President Godswill Akpabio has approached the Federal Capital Territory High Court with a N200 billion defamation suit against Senator Natasha Akpoti-Uduaghan over her public allegation that he sexually harassed her. The suit, filed alongside Motion No. M/12725/2025, demands massive financial compensation, nationwide public apologies, and the total removal of all digital content linked to the accusation. Akpoti-Uduaghan confirmed receipt of the court papers on Thursday. “Today being the 5th day of December, 2025, I’m in receipt of the newly instituted 200 billion naira suit against me by Senator Godswill Akpabio claiming defamation on sexual harassment.” She said she welcomed the legal battle, pointing out that the Senate Committee on Ethics and Privileges had earlier declined to entertain her petition. “Now, I am glad that Sen. Akpabio has brought this up because the Senate Committee on Ethics and Privileges failed to grant me audience in this issue relying on the fact that Godswill Akpabio’s wife had instituted a defamatory case against me. Therefore they couldn’t attend to a matter already in court.” Court documents reveal that Akpabio accused the Kogi Central lawmaker of repeatedly granting media interviews and making online and broadcast statements portraying him as a public office holder who exploited his position for sexual gratification. He argued that the allegations were widely circulated and consumed by millions, leading to severe embarrassment, emotional trauma and long-term reputational damage. Among the reliefs sought are total retractions across all platforms where the claims appeared, complete deletion of related online materials, repeated public apology broadcasts across major media outlets, and the full N200 billion in damages. Attempts to serve the senator directly were reportedly unsuccessful, prompting Akpabio to seek permission for substituted service through an ex parte application filed in December. Justice Kekemeke granted the request, authorising the service of court documents through the Clerk of the National Assembly or any staff within the Clerk’s office at the Three Arms Zone, Abuja. The court order partly reads: “AN ORDER of the Honourable Court granting leave to the Claimant/Applicant to serve the Originating Processes… by delivering same to the Clerk of the National Assembly, or any staff in the office of the Clerk of the National Assembly… AN ORDER …deeming the said mode of service of the processes on the Defendant as good and proper service.” Akpoti-Uduaghan also explained that Senate rules initially prevented her from heading to court over the allegation. “Albeit, I couldn’t proceed to court because by senate rules, I must still present my case before the Ethics committee (same committee that recommended my illegal suspension).” She insisted the lawsuit now opens the door for her to formally prove her claims. “Alas, I now have a chance to prove how I was sexually harassed and how my refusal to give into his demands unleashed series of unprovoked and unprecedented attacks on my person.” She ended with: “See you in court Godswill Akpabio. Senator Natasha H Akpoti Uduaghan, Kogi Central.” The matter, listed as Suit No. FCT/HC/CV/3356/2025, is expected to move to full trial in the coming weeks and is already drawing intense national attention due to the political weight of both parties involved.

Read More

FULL LIST: Rivers PDP Lawmakers Who Have Not Defected to APC

Following the mass defection of 17 lawmakers from the People’s Democratic Party (PDP) to the All Progressives Congress (APC) on the floor of the Rivers State House of Assembly, the following ten PDP members remain loyal to the party: # Name of Legislator Constituency 1 Hon. Mrs. Emilia Lucky-Amadi Obio/Akpor 2 Hon. Justina Emeji Emohua 3 Hon. Ignatius Onwuka Etche I 4 Hon. Mrs. Barile Nwakor Khana I 5 Hon. Mrs. Ezekwe Nkemjika Ogba–Egbema/Ndoni II 6 Hon. Queen Owuma Tony-Williams Ahoada East I 7 Hon. Lemchi Nyeche Ikwerre 8 Hon. Sylvanus Nwankwo Omuma 9 Hon. Iderima John Dominic Abua/Odual 10 Hon. Mgbar Bernard Tai In a recent session, these 10 lawmakers reportedly selected party officers and administered new oaths of office for positions including Minority Leader, Deputy Majority Leader, Minority Whip, and Deputy Minority Whip — reaffirming their commitment to the PDP. Seventeen other members had defected to the APC earlier, prompting the House to adopt a resolution recognising the auditorium of the legislature quarters as the official chamber of the Rivers State House of Assembly.

Read More

DSS Arrests Doctor Allegedly Supplying Drugs to Kidnappers in Kwara

The Department of State Services (DSS) has arrested a medical doctor allegedly responsible for supplying drugs to kidnapping gangs operating across parts of Kwara State. The suspect, whose identity remained unconfirmed as of press time, was reportedly intercepted in the Jebba area following intelligence that medical supplies were being moved from Sokoto to treat wounded bandits hiding in forests within the state. Security sources revealed that several members of the criminal groups recently sustained gunshot injuries during confrontations with security forces. “We are advising improved security measures in health facilities in thickly forested areas which the kidnappers may target,” a security official warned. Confirming the development, the Chief Press Secretary to the Governor of Kwara State, Rafiu Ajakaye, described the arrest as a significant breakthrough in the ongoing fight against banditry. “This is a major stride by the DSS. It reinforces the fact that security agencies are closing in on these criminals and blocking the support systems that enable their operations,” he said. Ajakaye added that the state government will continue to intensify collaboration with security agencies to shut down all channels aiding kidnappers and their networks.

Read More

Sheikh Ahmad Gumi Claims Foreign Powers Are Backing Terrorist Groups In Nigeria

Islamic scholar Sheikh Ahmad Gumi has claimed that foreign powers are backing terrorist groups responsible for the rising insecurity in Nigeria. In an interview with BBC Hausa Service, Gumi said recent attack patterns across the country suggest external support for armed groups, noting that the situation contradicts earlier signs of improvement in national security. He cited the Abuja–Kaduna highway, once considered highly dangerous for commuters, which had become safer in recent months before the latest surge in violence. He also highlighted farmers in Birnin Gwari, Kaduna State, who had returned to their farmlands after previously abandoning them due to persistent threats, indicating a temporary improvement in security. Gumi urged the Nigerian government to intensify intelligence gathering, strengthen diplomatic efforts, and investigate all foreign links that may be contributing to the country’s insecurity.

Read More

Edo Governor Sacks Fred Itua, Appoints Dr. Ebojele Akhere Patrick As New Chief Press Secretary

Edo State Governor Monday Okpebholo has replaced Fred Itua as Chief Press Secretary, appointing Dr. Ebojele Akhere Patrick as his successor. According to a statement from the Secretary to the State Government, Musa Ikhilor, Itua will complete the handover and await a new assignment to be announced later. The statement expressed gratitude to Itua for his service and contributions. Dr. Ebojele is described as an accomplished journalist, public administrator, researcher, and lecturer with extensive experience in media, public affairs, and academia. His appointment, the statement noted, reflects the administration’s commitment to improving communication with the people of Edo State and ensuring clear, transparent, and effective dissemination of government policies and activities. Dr. Ebojele’s journalism career includes serving as Edo/Delta Correspondent for Channels Television, as well as holding positions with New Nigerian Newspaper, Champion Newspaper, and Comet Newspapers. He will now take over from Itua as the state’s Chief Press Secretary.

Read More
Senate Steps In To End ASUU Strike, Sets Meeting With Education Minister And NUC

Senate Raises Alarm Over Ogijo Lead-Poisoning Crisis

The Senate has raised serious concerns over a rapidly worsening lead-poisoning crisis in Ogijo, a densely populated community on the border of Ikorodu, Lagos, and Ogun East Senatorial District. Lawmakers described the situation as a severe environmental and public-health emergency threatening thousands of lives. The motion, jointly sponsored by Senators Mukhail Adetokunbo Abiru (Lagos East) and Gbenga Daniel (Ogun East), was brought under Matters of Urgent Public Importance, citing Orders 41 and 51 of the Senate Standing Orders, 2023 (as amended). Senators highlighted verified reports showing extreme lead contamination from multiple used lead-acid battery recycling factories that have operated in the area for years. Residents have reportedly suffered persistent headaches, abdominal pain, memory loss, seizures, and developmental delays in children—symptoms associated with chronic lead exposure. The chamber noted that the Federal Government has already begun intervention. The Minister of State for Labour and Employment, Nkeiruka Onyejeocha, shut down seven battery-recycling factories and temporarily halted lead-ingot exports pending safety investigations. Lawmakers expressed concern that despite years of community complaints, the factories continued operating, releasing toxic fumes and dust into homes, markets, and playgrounds. “It is regrettable that smelter furnaces continued discharging toxic fumes directly into surrounding neighborhoods. While some factory operators deny wrongdoing, community exposure remains extreme,” the Senate said. The chamber commended the proactive efforts of Lagos and Ogun State governments, including early inspections, public-awareness campaigns, and collaboration with federal authorities. Independent tests commissioned by The Examination and The New York Times confirmed severe contamination in residents’ blood samples and surrounding soil, with some soil showing lead levels up to 186 times the global safety limit. Senators also expressed alarm that lead processed in Ogijo has already entered international supply chains, reaching global battery and automobile manufacturers who either ignored the findings or relied on assurances from Nigerian suppliers. Citing Sections 14(2)(b) and 20 of the 1999 Constitution, the Senate emphasized the government’s responsibility to protect citizens’ welfare and ensure a safe environment. Following deliberations, the Senate resolved to commend the Federal Government and Lagos and Ogun state governments for their swift actions in shutting down non-compliant factories. Lawmakers called for continued enforcement, including factory closures, export suspensions, prosecution of violators, and strengthened industrial safety monitoring. The chamber directed the Federal Ministry of Health and the Nigeria Centre for Disease Control (NCDC) to deploy emergency medical teams to Ogijo to provide free toxicology screenings, blood-lead management, chelation therapy, and ongoing treatment for affected residents. The Federal Ministry of Environment and NESREA were instructed to carry out comprehensive environmental remediation, mapping soil, groundwater, air, and household dust contamination. The Senate also mandated the Federal Ministry of Solid Minerals and relevant regulatory agencies to enforce strict compliance standards for battery-recycling and lead-processing operations nationwide. It further recommended establishing a National Lead Poisoning Response and Remediation Task Force under NEMA and directed the Committee on Legislative Compliance to monitor progress and report back within six weeks. Describing the Ogijo crisis as a preventable tragedy, the Senate called on the nation to treat it as a wake-up call on industrial pollution, regulatory lapses, and the urgent need to protect vulnerable communities from hazardous waste.

Read More

Nnamdi Kanu Moves To Be Transferred From Sokoto Prison To Pursue Appeal

Nnamdi Kanu, leader of the Indigenous People of Biafra (IPOB), has filed a new application at the Federal High Court in Abuja requesting a transfer from the Sokoto Correctional Centre. Kanu, who was recently sentenced to life imprisonment on terrorism charges, submitted the motion ex parte, which he personally signed. The application was formally presented to the court on Thursday by his younger brother, Prince Emmanuel Kanu. In the motion, Kanu argued that his current detention in Sokoto, over 700 kilometres from Abuja, would hinder his ability to personally pursue his constitutional right to appeal the conviction. He stated that preparing the notice and record of appeal requires his presence at the registry of the Federal High Court and the Court of Appeal in Abuja. Kanu further explained that all individuals essential to assisting him with his appeal, including family members, associates, and legal consultants, are based in Abuja. He stressed that remaining in Sokoto would make it practically impossible to coordinate with them, creating exceptional hardship and potentially undermining his right to appeal. The IPOB leader maintained that continued detention far from the capital amounts to a violation of Section 36 of the 1999 Constitution of the Federal Republic of Nigeria (as amended), which guarantees the right to a fair hearing.

Read More

Appeal Court Upholds Ban On VIO From Stopping Motorists Or Seizing Vehicles

The Court of Appeal in Abuja on Thursday upheld an earlier judgment that prohibits the Directorate of Road Traffic Services (DRTS) and Vehicle Inspection Officers (VIOs) from stopping motorists, seizing vehicles, or imposing fines on road users. In a unanimous ruling, a three-man panel dismissed the appeal filed by the VIO, describing it as lacking merit. The lead judgment, delivered by Justice Oyejoju Oyewumi, confirmed that there was no justification to overturn the Federal High Court’s decision of October 16, 2024, which had declared the actions of VIO officials against motorists unlawful. The original ruling was delivered by Justice Nkeonye Maha of the Federal High Court, who held that no existing law grants VIO officials the power to stop, impound, confiscate vehicles, or impose fines on motorists. The case, filed as a fundamental rights enforcement suit marked FHC/ABJ/CS/1695/2023, was instituted by public interest lawyer, Abubakar Marshal. He told the court that VIO operatives forcefully stopped him in the Jabi area of Abuja on December 12, 2023, and unlawfully confiscated his vehicle. Marshal asked the court to declare the actions of the officers illegal, oppressive, and a gross violation of his fundamental rights. In her judgment, Justice Maha granted all the reliefs sought and restrained the DRTS, its agents, and assigns from further impounding vehicles or imposing fines on motorists, describing such practices as unlawful and oppressive. The court also issued a perpetual injunction barring any future violation of Nigerians’ rights to freedom of movement, presumption of innocence, and the right to own property. Justice Maha ruled that only a court of competent jurisdiction has the authority to impose sanctions or fines on motorists. She further held that the respondents violated the applicant’s constitutional right to property under Section 42 of the 1999 Constitution (as amended) and Article 14 of the African Charter on Human and Peoples’ Rights. The judge stressed that the respondents lacked statutory powers to impound vehicles or impose fines, noting that their actions breached the rights to fair hearing, freedom of movement, and presumption of innocence guaranteed under Sections 6(6)(b), 36(1), 36(8), 36(12), 41 and 42 of the Constitution, as well as relevant provisions of the African Charter. Marshal, who was represented by a legal team led by Femi Falana (SAN), had demanded N500 million in damages and a public apology in three national newspapers. However, the court awarded him N2.5 million in damages. Those sued in the case included the DRTS, its Director, the Abuja Area Commander identified as Mr Leo, the team leader, Mr Solomon Onoja, and the Minister of the Federal Capital Territory. Following the judgment, the respondents challenged the decision at the Court of Appeal, but the appellate court dismissed their appeal on Thursday, thereby affirming the earlier ruling in its entirety.

Read More