Aliko Dangote Becomes First African To Reach $30 Billion Net Worth

Aliko Dangote Announces Nationwide Petrol Price Reduction to ₦739 Per Litre

Aliko Dangote, Founder and President of Dangote Group, has announced that petrol prices will drop to ₦739 per litre across Nigeria, with the initial implementation set for MRS stations in Lagos starting Tuesday. At a press briefing at the Lekki Refinery on Sunday, Dangote revealed that the refinery had earlier reduced its gantry price from ₦828 to ₦699 per litre. He assured the public that the new ₦739 per litre pump price would be strictly enforced and criticised attempts to manipulate fuel prices. “From Tuesday, MRS will sell petrol at ₦739 per litre. We will ensure this price is implemented. Anyone with trucks can purchase at ₦699. Those trying to maintain high prices to sabotage the government, we will resist. ₦970 per litre is not acceptable,” Dangote told journalists. He noted that some filling stations were deliberately keeping prices high despite the reduction. “I was told marketers were advised to maintain high prices, but with this initiative at MRS stations, particularly in Lagos, the ₦970 per litre rate will no longer exist,” he said. Dangote encouraged members of the Independent Petroleum Marketers Association of Nigeria (IPMAN) and other buyers to purchase fuel at the lower gantry price. “We have invited anyone who can buy 10 trucks to do so at ₦699. Using all available resources, we aim to reduce prices nationwide. Within a week to 10 days, delivery will be possible, and for December and January, petrol should not sell above ₦740 per litre,” he added. He also questioned the steep pump prices, pointing out that transporting petrol from the refinery costs no more than ₦15 per litre. “Freight within Lagos is only ₦10 to ₦15, which should bring the price to about ₦715. Selling at ₦900 is unjustifiable. Consumers should get the real price,” he said. Dangote further criticised the Nigerian Midstream and Downstream Petroleum Regulatory Authority (NMDPRA) for issuing 47 import licences for over 7.5 billion litres of petrol for the first quarter of 2026, arguing that it discourages local investment and threatens modular refineries. “These modular refineries are nearly collapsing, and none of them is profitable,” he warned.

Read More

Aide Confirms Former Head of State Yakubu Gowon Is Alive, Debunks Death Rumours

A close aide to former Nigerian Head of State, General Yakubu Gowon (retd.), has dismissed recent reports suggesting that the elder statesman has passed away. In a statement released on Sunday, Mr. Adeyeye Ajayi described the rumours circulating on social media as false and misleading, urging the public to disregard them. Ajayi confirmed that General Gowon is alive, in good health, and remains active in national affairs. He continues to attend public events and contributes to discussions on peace, national unity, and Nigeria’s development. The aide also cautioned against spreading unverified information, noting that such claims can cause unnecessary worry and emotional distress. He encouraged Nigerians to verify news through credible sources before sharing it.

Read More

Lagos State Tenancy Bill 2025 Seeks to End Illegal Evictions and Strengthen Tenant Protections

The Lagos State Government has unveiled the Lagos State Tenancy and Recovery of Premises Bill 2025 (Draft), aimed at protecting tenants from harassment and illegal evictions. Under the proposed law, it will be a criminal offence for landlords to evict tenants without a court order or resort to self-help measures such as cutting utilities or dismantling parts of a property. Section 10 of the bill requires landlords to respect tenants’ peaceful enjoyment of their homes, explicitly forbidding actions like removing roofs, cutting off electricity or water, or otherwise interfering with the property. Section 43 makes it an offence for anyone who forcibly ejects a tenant, threatens or intimidates them, or damages property to facilitate eviction without a court order. Convictions could attract a fine of at least N1 million, up to six months in custody, or a combination of both. The provision responds to recurring reports of landlords locking out tenants, breaking into homes, or using thugs during disputes. The bill also addresses arbitrary rent increases. Section 33 allows courts to review rent hikes, taking into account local rental levels, evidence from both parties, and any special circumstances. Landlords are barred from evicting tenants while these cases are pending, offering protection against sudden and excessive rent surges, which can range from 50–200% without notice. Tenants can request the court to declare a rent increase unreasonable. The court will evaluate comparative rents, witness testimonies, and other relevant factors, and may adjust the rent to a fair amount. Eviction is prohibited while the application is under review. The bill also streamlines dispute resolution and strengthens transparency. Sections 20–24 introduce faster legal procedures, including originating summons, hearings within 14 days, weekend or virtual sittings, and mediation capped at 30 days. Section 12 requires landlords to provide semi-annual accounts of service charges and security deposits, which must be refunded unless damages are documented. Section 7 reaffirms tenants’ rights to privacy, peaceful enjoyment, access to common areas, and compensation for approved improvements. Overall, the Lagos Tenancy Bill 2025 seeks to modernise tenancy laws, protect tenants, and ensure fair practices in rental housing across the state.

Read More

Armed Bandits Attack First ECWA Church in Ayetoro Kiri, Kill One and Abduct Worshippers

Armed bandits launched an attack on the First ECWA Church in Ayetoro Kiri, Kabba/Bunu Local Government Area of Kogi State early Sunday, December 14, 2025, leaving one person dead and several worshippers reportedly kidnapped. The deceased, identified only as Jayjay, was killed during the assault. The total number of abducted worshippers has not yet been confirmed, as security operatives and local authorities continue their assessment. This attack comes amid rising insecurity in Okun land, following a similar incident on November 30, 2025, when armed men raided a Cherubim and Seraphim Church in Ejiba, Yagba West Local Government Area. During that attack, the cleric Orlando and several worshippers were abducted. The assailants initially demanded a ₦500 million ransom, later reducing it to ₦200 million, giving families a two-day deadline and warning of unspecified consequences if the demand was not met. Residents also recalled that Ayetoro Kiri faced an earlier threat about three weeks ago when armed assailants attempted to raid a local school. On that occasion, the community vigilante group successfully repelled the attackers, preventing any casualties or abductions. The latest church attack has intensified fears among locals, who are urging the Kogi State Government and security agencies to step up efforts to protect lives and prevent further incidents.

Read More

I Won’t Join APC, I’m Committed to PDP – Senator Natasha Akpoti-Uduaghan Ahead of 2027 Elections

Senator Natasha Akpoti-Uduaghan of Kogi Central has confirmed that she has been approached several times by officials from the Presidency and some colleagues to join the ruling All Progressives Congress (APC), but she has consistently declined, affirming her commitment to the Peoples Democratic Party (PDP). Speaking on the Mic On Podcast with Seun Okinbaloye, she explained that joining the APC is not an option for her. “I was in APC briefly at the start of everything. Why should I go and join APC? I don’t have to follow the bandwagon or succumb to threats or cajolery. I’ve been approached many times, even as recently as yesterday someone joked, ‘We’re still expecting, we would love to have you.’ But I love my space, I love my peace, and I’m okay with my party now,” she said. Akpoti-Uduaghan also revealed she is considering running for the Senate again in 2027, with discussions ongoing within her party. She addressed speculations about a possible contest against former Kogi Governor Yahaya Bello, saying she is unafraid. “If I decide to contest after consulting my family, constituents, and party, and I am on the ballot against Yahaya Bello, then I would say, bring it on. I am not scared of him. He was a sitting governor and used all his powers against me, yet I defeated his candidate in 2023,” she said. The senator, a first-term lawmaker in the 10th Assembly, represents Kogi Central, the same district Bello hails from. She won her seat in 2023 under the PDP after a tribunal in Lokoja overturned the initial victory of APC candidate Abubakar Sadiku-Ohere, declaring her the winner with 54,074 votes against Ohere’s 51,291. While she intends to run under the PDP again, Akpoti-Uduaghan said she could consider switching parties if the PDP fails to resolve its ongoing leadership crisis. “If I decide to contest in 2027 and the PDP hasn’t resolved its crisis, I would need just a month to choose a platform, and my supporters will move with me,” she added.

Read More

FG Bans Student Transfers Into SS3 Nationwide From 2026/2027 Session

The education ministry has announced a ban on the transfer of students into SS3 in both public and private secondary schools nationwide. The policy, outlined in a statement released on Sunday, will come into force from the 2026/2027 academic session. According to the ministry, the decision is aimed at addressing the “increasing incidence of examination malpractice” that has continued to weaken the credibility of Nigeria’s education system. Boriowo Folasade, director of press and public relations, explained that the move was prompted by rising concerns over the use of “so-called special centres” during external examinations. Under the new directive, student admissions and transfers will only be permitted into SS1 and SS2 from the 2026/2027 session. The ministry said this is intended to “discourage last-minute movement of students for examination-related advantages.” Folasade noted that the policy would also improve academic supervision, ensure continuity in teaching and learning, and allow schools to properly track students’ progress. School owners, principals and administrators across the country have been instructed to fully adhere to the directive. The ministry cautioned that any breach of the policy would attract sanctions in line with existing education regulations and guidelines.

Read More

Bishop David Oyedepo Vows To Stay Clear Of Politics, Says Not Even $1 Billion Can Change His Calling

Bishop David Oyedepo, founder of Living Faith Church Worldwide, has declared that he will not engage in partisan politics, emphasizing that no sum of money, including $1 billion, could sway him from his divine mission. Speaking at the impartation service of Shiloh, the church’s annual convocation at Faith Tabernacle, Canaanland, Ota, Ogun State, Oyedepo urged believers to stay committed to their God-given callings, highlighting that true influence and impact come from remaining within one’s purpose. “Partisan politics is off my calling. If you give me $1 billion to join politics, I won’t, because it’s off my course,” he stated. Citing Romans 8:19, the cleric said the world is in desperate need of solutions from individuals who understand and remain faithful to their divine assignments. “In 2015, I warned the church that trouble was coming. Didn’t trouble come?” he asked. “The world is groaning in darkness, but the world is waiting for the manifestation of the children of God.” He further explained that those called by God would play crucial roles in tackling national challenges, drawing inspiration from biblical figures. “The army of God is about to emerge to proffer solutions to national crises in the order of Joseph and Daniel,” Oyedepo said. Shiloh, which began on Tuesday, December 9, will run through Sunday, December 14, featuring sessions focused on teaching, prayer, and impartation for attendees.

Read More

Delta Governor Sheriff Francis Joins Ushers at Shiloh 2025, Sparks Reactions Online

A video currently trending online shows Delta State Governor Sheriff Francis taking on ushering duties at Shiloh 2025. The annual event, which began on Tuesday, December 9, will run through Sunday, December 14. In the clip, the governor is seen wearing a suit while carrying out ushering tasks, a scene that has sparked a mix of reactions across social media. Also visible in the video is a young man, similarly dressed in a suit, standing behind Governor Francis as the choir continues its performance. Delta Governor Sheriff Francis Orohwedor Oborevwori spotted as he works as an Usher at Shiloh 2025 in church pic.twitter.com/NP4KUulW0O — 👑𝙧𝙚𝙖𝙡_𝙜𝙤𝙤𝙙𝙣𝙚𝙬𝙨🌴🥥🇳🇬 𝕏 (@olisagoodnews) December 13, 2025

Read More