INEC, NCoS To Engage National Assembly On Framework For Inmate Voting

The Independent National Electoral Commission (INEC) has said it will work with the Nigerian Correctional Service (NCoS) and other stakeholders to engage the National Assembly for a clear legal provision on the voting rights of inmates in correctional facilities across the country. Chairman of the Commission, Prof. Mahmood Yakubu, gave the assurance when the Controller General of NCoS, Sylvester Ndidi Nwakuche mni, paid him a courtesy visit at the Commission’s headquarters in Abuja on Friday, 8th August 2025. Prof. Yakubu explained that the matter of inmate voting must be addressed within the framework of the law, noting that elections are governed strictly by legal provisions. He stressed that the ongoing electoral reform process presents an important opportunity to clarify and strengthen the legal basis for extending the franchise to inmates in line with constitutional and international human rights standards. He underscored the need to resolve ambiguities in Section 12(1)(e) of the Electoral Act 2022, which limits registration to Nigerian citizens “not subject to any legal incapacity to vote under any law, rule or regulations in force in Nigeria.” He said: “There are various interpretations as to whether this provision relates to inmates on death row, those serving life sentences, or those convicted of treason. Our immediate task is to engage with the National Assembly for a clear legal provision on inmate voting. Thereafter, we can address the specific issues that may arise in the course of implementation.” Prof. Yakubu recalled that INEC had previously held extensive engagements with the correctional service to consider modalities for inmate voting. These included the setting up of a joint technical committee to review operational issues, the sharing of data on the locations and categories of federal correctional facilities nationwide, and an assessment of how voter registration, polling unit creation, and voter education could be carried out within such facilities. The Commission had also in the interest of transparency, raised questions about access for election observers, the media, and political parties, including whether campaigns could be conducted in correctional facilities and polling agents appointed on election day. The INEC Chairman referenced landmark judicial decisions on the matter, notably the Federal High Court ruling in Benin on 16th December 2014 and the subsequent Court of Appeal decision of 7th December 2018, affirming the right of five plaintiffs awaiting trial to vote in elections. The courts held that, under Article 25 of the International Covenant on Civil and Political Rights (1966) and Section 25 of the Nigerian Constitution, awaiting-trial inmates retain their voting rights provided they assert the choice voluntarily. He further noted that inmate voting is already a reality in other countries, including Ghana, Kenya, and South Africa, where Nigerian election observers have witnessed the process firsthand. The INEC Chairman commended civil society organisations, particularly the Carmelite Prisoners’ Interest Organization (CAPIO), for sustained advocacy on inmate voting, and welcomed what he described as the positive disposition of the joint committees of the Senate and House of Representatives on Electoral Matters toward inclusivity in Nigeria’s democratic process. Earlier in his remarks, Mr Nwakuche said his visit was both to pay respect to the INEC Chairman and to formally raise the issue of extending voting rights to inmates. He described inmates as a community that may have been underserved and unnoticed despite their potential contributions to national development. He disclosed that the service currently holds over 81,000 inmates, 66 percent of whom are awaiting trial and are therefore presumed innocent under the law. He argued that incarceration alone should not extinguish their civic rights, citing both court rulings and a recent resolution of the National Assembly in support of inmate voting. “I’m here, Chairman, to see how we can work together, even if it is not now but in the nearest future, to grant these inmates the right to vote. What are the things needed from our side as correctional officers? What are the things needed from your side? We must ensure that these people are not denied their rights,” he said. Mr. Nwakuche also emphasised that inmate voting is not only about rights, but also about the dignity of citizenship and the principles of inclusivity in a democracy. Responding, Prof. Yakubu reassured the NCoS boss that the Commission shares the same determination to extend the franchise to eligible inmates, adding that the meeting had reaffirmed the resolve to pursue the necessary legal and operational measures to make inmate voting a reality in Nigeria.

Read More
MC Oluomo Urges Tinubu, Keyamo to Lift Flight Ban on Fuji Legend KWAM 1

MC Oluomo Urges Tinubu, Keyamo to Lift Flight Ban on Fuji Legend KWAM 1

President of the National Union of Road Transport Workers (NURTW), Musiliu Ayinde Akinsanya, popularly known as MC Oluomo, has appealed to President Bola Tinubu and Minister of Aviation and Aerospace Development, Festus Keyamo, to lift the six-month flight ban imposed on Fuji music icon, Wasiu Ayinde Marshal (KWAM 1). The Nigerian Civil Aviation Authority (NCAA) sanctioned KWAM 1 after the Federal Airports Authority of Nigeria (FAAN) accused him of breaching aviation rules during boarding for a ValueJet flight (VK 201) from Abuja to Lagos. FAAN spokesperson Obiageli Orah alleged that the 68-year-old musician brought alcohol on board — an act prohibited on domestic flights — sparking an altercation with a flight attendant. The NCAA subsequently placed him on a no-fly list and petitioned the Attorney-General of the Federation, Lateef Fagbemi, and Inspector-General of Police, Kayode Egbetokun, for prosecution. NCAA’s Director of Consumer Protection, Michael Achimugu, confirmed the six-month ban, which also affected pilot Oluranti Ogoyi. In an Instagram statement, MC Oluomo likened KWAM 1 to “a prodigal son” who had acknowledged his mistake, apologised, and shown readiness to make amends. “To His Excellency, President Bola Ahmed Tinubu, I humbly appeal for mercy towards Alhaji Wasiu Ayinde Marshal. I also urge NCAA DG Capt. Chris Najomo and Minister Festus Keyamo to temper justice with mercy and lift the ban imposed on K1 and the pilot,” MC Oluomo said. He extended apologies on behalf of the Fuji star to ValueJet CEO Kunle Soname, the airline’s staff, the pilot, and the public, urging authorities to consider KWAM 1’s five-decade contribution to Nigerian music and Yoruba cultural heritage. The appeal comes two days after KWAM 1 personally apologised for the incident, describing it as “unfortunate” and expressing regret over the altercation. Minister Festus Keyamo has, however, condemned the singer’s conduct as “unacceptable,” calling it “a temporary loss of sanity and control on both sides” and warning that such lapses could have led to tragedy.

Read More
Selection Committee Opens Applications for Nigeria’s 98th Oscars Entry

Selection Committee Opens Applications for Nigeria’s 98th Oscars Entry

The Nigerian Official Selection Committee (NOSC) has announced the official opening of submissions for Nigeria’s entry in the Best International Feature Film (IFF) category at the 98th Academy Awards. Recognised by the Academy of Motion Picture Arts and Sciences (AMPAS), the NOSC is the only body authorised to select the country’s official entry in the category. The chosen film will represent Nigeria at the Oscars on Sunday, March 15, 2026, in Los Angeles, competing for one of cinema’s most prestigious honours. In a statement to TVC News entertainment correspondent Theophilus Elamah, the NOSC revealed that Nigerian filmmakers can submit qualifying films between August 13 and September 12, 2025, through the official NOSC portal. Eligibility criteria include: The NOSC urged Nigerian filmmakers to take advantage of the opportunity to showcase the nation’s creativity and storytelling on the global stage.

Read More

Court Adjourns as Owo Terror Attack Suspects Plead Not Guilty

Five defendants have pleaded not guilty to charges of carrying out the June 5, 2022 terrorist attack at St Francis Catholic Church in Owo, Ondo State. The suspects were arraigned before Justice Emeka Nwite of the Federal High Court, Abuja, by the Federal Government on Monday. After their pleas were taken, the prosecution counsel requested that the defendants be remanded in the custody of the Department of State Services (DSS) pending the commencement of their trial. The defence counsel raised no objection but asked the court to instruct the DSS to allow the accused access to their legal team and family members. In response, the prosecution assured the court that the DSS would comply with the law and grant the defendants the necessary access. Justice Nwite adjourned the case to August 19, 2025, ordering that the defendants remain in DSS custody until trial begins. The Owo church massacre, which left dozens dead and many injured, remains one of Nigeria’s deadliest attacks in recent years, sparking national and international outrage.

Read More

Mo Salah Slams UEFA Over Tribute to Palestinian Pele Without Mentioning Cause of Death

Liverpool forward Mohamed Salah has criticised UEFA for omitting details about the death of former Palestinian football star Suleiman al Obeid, widely known as the “Palestinian Pele,” in its tribute post. The Palestine Football Association said al Obeid, 41, was killed on Wednesday by an Israeli airstrike targeting civilians while waiting for humanitarian aid in the southern Gaza Strip. In a short post on X (formerly Twitter) on Friday, UEFA described al Obeid as “a talent who gave hope to countless children, even in the darkest of times” — but made no mention of how he died. Salah, an Egyptian international and one of the most influential Arab athletes in the world, responded publicly: “Can you tell us how he died, where, and why?” UEFA has told Sky Sports it will not comment on Salah’s remarks. Al Obeid, born in Gaza City, played for clubs across Gaza and the West Bank and was a key figure in Palestinian football for years. The Palestine FA’s tribute noted that he is survived by his wife, two sons, and three daughters. The criticism comes amid rising concerns over civilian casualties in Gaza. According to the United Nations, more than 1,000 people have been killed near aid distribution points and convoys in Gaza since late May, when the Gaza Humanitarian Foundation — a US and Israel-backed aid system — began operations. Salah has previously called for increased humanitarian aid access to Gaza during the ongoing conflict, which is approaching its two-year mark.

Read More
FG Issues Red Flood Alert to 15 Northern States, Warns of 5 Days of Heavy Rainfall

FG Issues Red Flood Alert to 15 Northern States, Warns of 5 Days of Heavy Rainfall

By Kamal Yalwa August 11, 2025 The Federal Government has placed 15 northern states on red flood alert, warning residents in high-risk areas to take immediate precautions to safeguard lives and property. In a circular issued in Abuja, the Ministry of Environment’s National Flood Early Warning Centre said possible flooding is expected between August 10 and 14, 2025 due to forecasts of heavy rainfall. The statement, signed by Usman Abdullahi Bokani, Director of the Erosion, Flood and Coastal Zone Management Department, listed the affected states as: Adamawa, Bauchi, Nasarawa, Kaduna, Katsina, Kebbi, Kano, Niger, Taraba, Jigawa, Yobe, Zamfara, Sokoto, Borno, and Kwara. Kebbi State tops the list with the highest number of flagged flood-prone locations — 10 towns including Kamba, Kangiwa, Kalgo, Ribah, Sakaba, Saminaka, Gwandu, Jega, and Birnin Kebbi. Bokani urged residents to act swiftly by relocating from flood-prone zones where necessary. He also called on local authorities and state emergency management agencies to intensify efforts to protect vulnerable communities. If you want, I can also make a short breaking-news version of this for social media updates with key points and hashtags to drive engagement.

Read More
Governor Oyebanji Dissolves Ekiti State Executive Council

Governor Oyebanji Dissolves Ekiti State Executive Council

By Kamal Yalwa: August 11, 2025 The Governor of Ekiti State, Biodun Oyebanji, has announced the dissolution of the State Executive Council with immediate effect. In a statement signed by the Secretary to the State Government, Habibat Adubiaro, and released on Sunday evening, all affected Commissioners and Special Advisers have been directed to hand over to the Permanent Secretary or the most senior civil servant in their respective ministries, departments, and agencies (MDAs). Governor Oyebanji thanked the outgoing members for their service and wished them success in their future endeavours. The dissolution, however, does not affect: In addition, all Directors General who are members of the State Executive Council will retain their positions, including:

Read More