Christopher Musa Pledges Investigation Into Troop Withdrawal Before Kebbi School Abduction

Christopher Musa, the nominee for Nigeria’s Minister of Defence, has promised to investigate the withdrawal of troops prior to the attack on Government Comprehensive Girls Secondary School in Maga, Danko Wasagu Local Government Area. Speaking during his Senate ministerial screening on Wednesday, General Musa said that if confirmed, he would set up a committee to look into the killing of Brigadier General Musa Uba. The remarks follow reports that troops reportedly abandoned their posts before 25 schoolgirls were abducted on November 17, an incident that sparked nationwide outrage. Musa also condemned the recent capture and killing of a brigade commander by terrorists in Borno State, assuring lawmakers that a detailed investigation would be carried out. “It is very unfortunate and painful. Nigerians should be assured that we will not allow terrorists to operate freely. We will pursue them fully, working closely with all security agencies and government departments. The Armed Forces have procedures, and we will ensure strict oversight of their operations,” he said. He added that acts of negligence or cowardice within the military would not be tolerated, emphasizing the need for professionalism and pledging stronger oversight to ensure prompt and decisive action during security operations.

Read More

US Stops Immigration And Citizenship Processing For 19 Countries Over Security Concerns

The US government has suspended the processing of immigration and citizenship applications for nationals of 19 countries, including Afghanistan, Yemen and Haiti, according to an internal memo made public on Tuesday, in what officials describe as a major escalation of its migration crackdown. The decision affects both green card and naturalisation applications for countries already facing travel restrictions announced by President Donald Trump in June. Other nations impacted include Venezuela, Sudan and Somalia. The memo pointed to growing security concerns following last week’s shooting that left one National Guard soldier dead and another injured. The prime suspect, identified as an Afghan national who entered the US during the 2021 evacuation after the Taliban takeover, pleaded not guilty to murder charges on Tuesday. US authorities said the pause is aimed at strengthening vetting procedures. The document stressed the role of the US Citizenship and Immigration Services in blocking potential security threats and ensuring that screening processes place American safety first, citing the recent attack as an example of the risks linked to rushed approvals. On November 26, Trump announced plans to “permanently pause migration from all Third World Countries to allow the US system to fully recover.” Homeland Security Secretary Kristi Noem also pushed for tougher action, calling for broader bans on more countries. “I just met with the President. I am recommending a full travel ban on every damn country that’s been flooding our nation with killers, leeches, and entitlement junkies.” In addition to the newly affected countries, existing travel restrictions already cover Burundi, Chad, the Republic of Congo, Cuba, Equatorial Guinea, Eritrea, Iran, Laos, Libya, Myanmar, Sierra Leone, Togo and Turkmenistan. Meanwhile, reports emerged of a planned large-scale immigration enforcement operation in Minnesota targeting Somali immigrants, a move that has sparked strong opposition from local leaders. Minneapolis Mayor Jacob Frey insisted that the city’s support for the Somali community and all immigrants remains “rock solid and unwavering,” adding that state police would not cooperate with the operation.

Read More

Senate Confirms General Christopher Musa As New Defence Minister

The Senate on Wednesday approved General Christopher Musa as Nigeria’s new Minister of Defence after completing his screening session. Lawmakers began the exercise shortly after Senate President Godswill Akpabio read President Bola Ahmed Tinubu’s request, which sought Musa’s confirmation to replace Mohammed Badaru. Badaru stepped down on Monday, citing health-related concerns. Musa’s nomination was forwarded to the Senate on Tuesday, with Tinubu expressing confidence in his ability to reinforce the nation’s security structure and revamp the ministry at a time when insecurity continues to escalate across the country. Earlier reports indicated that the Senate had already commenced Musa’s screening on Wednesday in response to the President’s nomination.

Read More

Sokoto Village Residents Ordered To Pay N20 Million Levy By Bandits To Avoid Deadly Attacks

Residents of Bakale village in Kilgori district, Yabo Local Government Area, Sokoto State, have been told to pay a N20 million levy to avoid deadly attacks from an armed group. An audio recording obtained by our reporter captures the group’s leader instructing the village head to call a meeting and inform the community about the demand. In the recording, the bandit asked the village head about compliance with a previous directive, saying, “Did you meet with them? Did they agree to obey your command?” After the head confirmed, the bandit ordered him to summon residents again and announce the fresh N20 million levy. “We don’t want to attack you. That is why we decided to impose this levy. If you pay, you will continue to live in peace. We will prevent any group from attacking your community or abducting your people. But if you fail to pay, we will attack, kill, and kidnap,” the bandit warned. A community leader, speaking anonymously, confirmed that similar levies have been imposed on neighbouring villages. Affected settlements across Kilgori and Torankawa districts include Bazar, Alkalije, Gari, Bakale, Dagel, Adarawa, Kwaidaza, Kilgori Runji, Tudu, Tile, Kibiyare, and Barmadu. Levies reportedly range from N3 million to N20 million, depending on the size of the community. The source also revealed that six people were killed in Alkalije and four in Tile during attacks two weeks ago. Attempts to get a response from the Sokoto State Police Command were unsuccessful, with spokesperson DSP Ahmad Rufa’i not responding to multiple calls.

Read More

Lagos Moves To Remove Korope From Highways As Lekki–Epe Bus Reform Begins

Lagos State Government has announced a phased plan to remove korope buses from major highways as part of a wider effort to modernise public transportation and improve safety across the state. The update was shared during a stakeholder meeting held ahead of the launch of the Lekki–Epe Bus Reform Scheme, which will officially begin operations on December 8, 2025. Officials from the Ministry of Transportation, LAMATA, and informal transport operators met to finalize preparations for the first rollout. The new scheme will introduce fully regulated bus services along major corridors such as Ajah–CMS (Marina)/Obalende, Ajah–Oshodi, Ajah–Berger, and Ajah–Iyana Ipaja, with future extensions planned for Epe. According to LAMATA’s Head of Corporate Communication, Kolawole Ojelabi, Special Adviser on Transportation Sola Giwa explained that the long-term goal is to remove unsafe, unregulated vehicles from the busiest routes and replace them with a coordinated, modernised system designed to enhance comfort and safety for commuters. Giwa noted that the state intends to move korope buses off major highways and redirect them to feeder and community routes under the First and Last Mile scheme. He stressed that many poorly maintained buses will be systematically cleared from the road network as improvements roll out across other corridors. Under the new structure, existing regulated operators will continue stage-carriage services, while a cooperative under the NURTW, known as Oneness, has been approved to operate express services between Ajah, Oshodi, and Berger. Buses under the reform will carry Lagos State’s blue-and-white official colours, QR codes for verification, unique identification numbers, and TAP (Touch and Pay) stickers. Drivers will wear Ministry of Transportation badges to enhance accountability. A fleet of 229 medium- and high-capacity buses will operate in the first phase, with all fare payments restricted to the Cowry card system. Giwa warned that any operator or passenger engaging in cash transactions along the corridor will face arrest and prosecution.

Read More

CBN Lifts Cash Deposit Limit, Increases Weekly Withdrawal Cap To N500,000

The Central Bank of Nigeria (CBN) has removed the cap on cash deposits and increased the weekly cash withdrawal limit across all channels to N500,000 for individuals, up from N100,000. The circular announcing the changes, titled “Revised Cash-Related Policies,” was signed by Dr. Rita Sike, Director of the Financial Policy & Regulation Department. According to the CBN, the policy revisions aim to reduce the rising cost of cash management, enhance security, and curb money laundering risks associated with Nigeria’s heavy reliance on cash. The bank noted that previous measures were designed to reduce cash usage and promote electronic payments, but updates were necessary to reflect current realities. Key changes, effective January 1, 2026, include the removal of the cumulative deposit limit, with fees on excess deposits abolished. The cumulative weekly withdrawal limit has been raised to N500,000 for individuals and N5 million for corporates. Withdrawals exceeding these limits will attract excess withdrawal fees. The prior special monthly authorisation allowing individuals to withdraw N5 million and corporates N10 million has been discontinued. For ATM withdrawals, daily limits remain at N100,000 per customer, with a maximum of N500,000 weekly, which counts toward the overall weekly withdrawal cap. Excess withdrawals will incur charges of 3 percent for individuals and 5 percent for corporates, split 40 percent to the CBN and 60 percent to the operating bank. Banks have also been directed to ensure ATMs are loaded with all currency denominations. The existing N100,000 limit on over-the-counter encashment of third-party cheques remains, and such withdrawals will count toward the weekly cumulative limit. Banks are required to submit monthly reports to relevant supervisory departments. Exemptions apply to revenue-generating accounts of federal, state, and local governments, as well as accounts of microfinance and primary mortgage banks. However, exemptions previously granted to embassies, diplomatic missions, and aid-donor agencies have been removed.

Read More

US Lawmakers Urged To Press Nigeria To Abolish Sharia Law And Dissolve Hisbah Groups

United States lawmakers were urged on Tuesday to exert stronger pressure on the Nigerian government to abolish Sharia law in the northern states where it is enforced and to dismantle the Hisbah religious enforcement groups. Experts warned that these institutions continue to fuel systematic persecution of Christians and other minority communities. Speaking at a joint House briefing convened following President Donald Trump’s directive and Nigeria’s designation as a Country of Particular Concern, Dr. Ebenezer Obadare of the Council on Foreign Relations said extremist groups—including Boko Haram, the Islamic State West Africa Province (ISWAP), and radicalised Fulani militias—exploit Sharia frameworks and Hisbah operatives to spread extremist ideology, force religious conversions, and carry out attacks with little resistance. Obadare recommended a two-pronged approach for the United States: working closely with the Nigerian military to neutralise Boko Haram while simultaneously urging President Bola Tinubu to declare Sharia unconstitutional in the twelve northern states that adopted it in 2000 and to disband Hisbah groups across the region. He noted that international pressure can be effective. Since Nigeria’s CPC designation and Trump’s warning of possible unilateral action against Boko Haram, Tinubu has authorised airstrikes on insurgent positions, approved the recruitment of 30,000 additional police officers, and declared a national security emergency. Despite these measures, Obadare stressed that they remain insufficient and that sustained engagement from Washington is essential. The bipartisan briefing, led by Appropriations Vice Chair Mario Díaz-Balart and attended by members of the House Foreign Affairs Committee, emphasised that the Nigerian government has largely failed to confront what lawmakers described as religious cleansing in the north and Middle Belt. Witnesses cited incidents including the November 22 kidnapping of pupils and teachers from St. Mary’s Catholic School in Papiri, Niger State, ongoing prosecutions under blasphemy laws, and repeated mass killings, rejecting claims that the crisis is solely about land and resource disputes. Obadare argued that the root of the problem lies in unchecked jihadist violence, with Boko Haram’s campaign to dismantle the Nigerian state and impose an Islamic order continuing to threaten national stability. He concluded that defeating the insurgent groups must be the top priority for any meaningful solution.

Read More

38 Church Worshippers Rescued And Reunited With Families In Ekiti LGA, Kwara

Thirty-eight church worshippers abducted in Eruku, Ekiti Local Government Area of Kwara State, have been safely returned to their families following a successful rescue operation. The worshippers were kidnapped on November 18, 2025, during a special thanksgiving service at CAC Oke Isegun, Eruku. The attack resulted in the deaths of three people, while another sustained gunshot injuries. In a statement on Tuesday night, Dada Sunday, Chief Press Secretary to the Ekiti LGA Chairman, confirmed that the rescued worshippers were formally handed over to Chairman Awelewa Olawale Gabriel in Ilorin by Governor AbdulRahman AbdulRazaq. The operation involved a joint effort by federal and state security agencies. Awelewa, speaking as he received the victims, thanked President Bola Tinubu, Governor AbdulRazaq, the National Security Adviser, and all security agencies for their swift intervention. “We are grateful for the comprehensive medical care and support provided to the abductees after their rescue,” he said, assuring residents that the administration would continue to prioritise security across all wards of Ekiti LGA. “We will leave no stone unturned in protecting lives and property through a robust security network.” The worshippers arrived in Eruku around 6:30 pm on Tuesday, greeted by jubilant relatives and community members. The Owa of Eruku also praised the coordinated rescue efforts, thanking government officials and security agencies for ensuring the safe return of the victims. The abduction highlights the ongoing security challenges in Kwara’s border communities, particularly in Ekiti LGA, which has faced multiple incidents of kidnappings in recent years.

Read More