Alleged N33.8bn: I received N777m on Mamman`s behalf, spent it on his instructions -Witness

The Tenth Prosecution Witness , PW10, Mifbahu Idris in the trial of former Minister of Power, Saleh Mamman on Wednesday, February 19, 2025 told a Federal High Court, Abuja, presided over by Justice James Omotosho how he received the sum of N777,538 (Seven Hundred and Seventy-seven Million, Five Hundred and Thirty-eight Thousand Naira) in cash and transfers from bureau de change operators between 2019 and 2021 on the instructions of the defendant who also directed how they were spent. Idris, nephew and special assistant to Mamman, while been cross- examined by defence counsel, Femi Atteh, SAN, disclosed while reading his extra-judicial statement to the EFCC on April 17, 2023 that the sum were wired from different accounts owned and operated by Maina Goje and Abdulahi Suleiman who are bureau de change operators, which he allegedly disbursed to friends, family members, associates and for payment for household utilities on the instructions of Mamman. Earlier on Tuesday, February 18, 2025, the witness had during his examination-in-chief led by prosecution counsel, Rotimi Oyedepo, SAN, testified that Mamman was his uncle and that he worked with him for two years in the Federal Ministry of Power, Abuja and that he also knew Mr Abubakar Bida, who works in the ministry too. According to him, “there was a day Abubakar Bida called me on phone, he introduced himself to me that Engineer Saleh Mamman said he should call me and that he will be calling me from time to time to meet one Maina Goje. He told me to go and meet Goje. Whenever I meet him, sometimes he will give me cash or transfer money, and he will say that this is for Oga. I will bring it to Saleh Mamman and hand it over to him. The cash can be in dollars and sometimes naira. He will say keep it with you, I will be telling you how to spend it. Sometimes, I use the money to buy foodstuffs, electricity units or send to his associates, friends and family based on his directives. I usually bring the money to his house.“ Testifying further, he said `I usually receive money from Maina Goje and Abdulahi Suleiman based on the instructions using Saleh’s Mammans name. It was Mustapha Abubakar that asked me to collect the money on behalf of Saleh Mamman which I spent based on instructions. It was Maina Goje that introduced me to Abdulahi Suleiman. Sometimes I will receive the money in my account or cash, sometimes in naira, sometimes in dollars,” he said. He confirmed his statement of account with GTB marked exhibit PWq, when it was shown to him and confirmed receiving N10million through it on August 26, 2021. He also confirmed receiving the sum of N10million through the same account on April 1, 2023, from Sharifiddin Global Enterprises on behalf of Saleh Mammah and he allegedly spent the money based on the defendant`s instructions. He also confirmed receiving money from FirstKlaz’s Construction Projects, Mintage Nigeria Limited, Spinhills Biz International, Fulest Utility Concepts and Silverlines Adventures which are accounts owned and operated by the bureau de change operators, Maina Goje and Abdullahi Suleiman. He further confirmed from his account statement that he received the sum of N10million on August 26, 2021, N10 million on April 16, 2022, and N1million from Silverline on April 10, 2022. Furthermore, he disclosed that he received another N1 million, on May 22, 2022, another N1million from Suleiman Abdulahi on May 7, 2022, another NImillion from Silverline Adventures all of which he said he spent on the instruction of the defendant. The witness further confirmed that he refunded the sum of N190million to the EFCC, which he said was given to him by Mamman. The Eleventh Prosecution Witness, (PW11), Goje Maina, while also giving his testimony narrated how he delivered cash to the former minister in his Maitama, Abuja`s residence . ” I used to carry cash to the minister`s house in Maitama and sometimes Mifbahu will come and collect the money. I can’t remember the number of times I have taken the money there, but there is a boy there that they gave me his number. Anytime I get there, the boy will come and I will open my car and give him the cash. The money sometimes was N20million, N25million or N30million or I will give him dollars in an envelope like $100,000 dollars. Mustapha Bida has never complained that they did not get the money,” he said The matter was adjourned till March 4, 5,17 and 18 2025 for continuation of trial. Mamman is being prosecuted by the Economic and Financial Crimes Commission, EFCC on a 12-count charge, bordering on conspiracy to commit money laundering to the tune of N33,804,830,503.73 (Thirty-Three Billion, Eight Hundred and Four Million, Eight Hundred and Thirty Thousand, Five Hundred and Three Naira, Seventy-Three Kobo).

Read More

Alleged N110b fraud: Why Yahaya Bello’s accomplice sought refund on property – Witness

The trial of a former Kogi State governor, Yahya Adoza Bello, alongside Umar Shuaibu Oricha and Abdulsalami Hudu continued on Wednesday, January 29, 2025, before Justice Maryanne Anenih of the Federal Capital Territory High Court with the First Prosecution Witness, (PW1), Fabian Nwaora informing the court, that Yahaya Bello’s accomplice, Shehu Bello, opted for a refund from EFAB Property Limited, the sum of N550 million (Five Hundred and Fifty Million Naira) he paid for a property when he learned that the said property has come under the investigation of the Economic and Financial Crimes Commission, EFCC and linked to Yahaya Bello. The witness, Chairman of EFAB Property Limited, further disclosed that the property Shehu Bello bought was located at No.1 Ikogosi Street, Maitama, Abuja. Led in evidence by prosecution counsel, Kemi Pinheiro, SAN, he narrated that “We put up a property for sale with a signboard of EFAB Property. That was in 2020. Shehu Bello came to my office and asked for the property. We discussed the price and we agreed on N550 million. He said he was going to come back the next day, I told him I was not going to be around on that day, then I introduced him to my General Manager (GM), Segun Adeleke. They both exchanged phone numbers. When I came back after one week, the GM reported to me that Shehu Bello had purchased the property. He brought the document for me to see on behalf of EFAB. The name on the agreement was Dr. Bello Ohiani not Shehu Bello. We signed and gave them back to sign and return a copy to us, no copy was returned. “After three years, Shehu Bello came back to me and said that the property was under investigation from the EFCC, he returned all the documents that I gave to him and said he would like to get his money back. I discussed it with my lawyer and he said since it was under investigation, they know that the EFCC will invite us,” he said. The witness further informed the court that they were invited by the EFCC to make statements and that his company, EFAB Property Limited was told by the Commission to pay in the money it received for the property to the EFCC’s account since the property was under investigation. “After writing the statement, the EFCC said the house was under investigation and that we should return the entire money to the EFCC account. They gave us the account number, we returned N400million, then the second batch we returned N150million. The house was marked, but when we returned the money, the EFCC said we can take over the house, since we have returned the money to them,” he said.

Read More

Emefiele’s CBN new Naira notes different from President’s approval, Witness tells Court

The trial of former Central Bank of Nigeria, CBN, Governor Godwin Emefiele continued on Thursday, November 14, 2024, at the Federal Capital Territory, FCT, High Court in Maitama, with a  fifth prosecution witness, Kingsley Obiora, former CBN Deputy Governor in charge of policy, disclosing that the new naira notes printed and released into circulation under Emefiele’s leadership did not match the President’s approval.

Read More

Alleged 3.1bn Fraud: How I delivered $15.8m Cash to Suswam in his Residence – Witness

Abubakar Umar, the Sixth Prosecution Witness, PW6, in the trial of former governor of Benue State, Gabriel Suswam has narrated before the Federal High Court, Maitama, Abuja and presided over by Justice Peter Lifu how in 2014, he converted the sum of N3.1 billion, wired to him by Suswam as governor and delivered its equivalent of $15.8m in cash to him at his Maitama, Abuja residence. Suswan, alongside his then Commissioner of Finance, Omodachi Okolobia are facing 11-count amended charges of money laundering to the tune of N3.1 billion, being part of the proceeds from the sales of the state government’s shares held on its behalf by the Benue Investment and Property Company Limited, sold through Elixir Securities Limited and Elixir Investment Partners Limited. During the court’s proceedings, the witness, a bureau de change operator and CEO of Fanffash Resources, who has been testifying on the matter since 2018, first, before Justice A.R Mohammed and later Justice Okon Abang, disclosed that the total sum of N3.1 billion was transferred to him by Suswam, through a proxy in tranches with the first tranche of N413 million hitting his account on August 8, 2014 and the remaining, coming in subsequently to sum up to N3.1billion. Umar, while being led in evidence by prosecution counsel, Rotimi Jacobs, SAN, affirmed that the proxy who did the naira transfers to him was a woman. According to the witness, he had to change a total sum of N3.1billion to dollars, which he said amounted to $15.8 million at the rate of N197 to a dollar and delivered it to Suswam in his Maitama, Abuja residence. “One day in 2014, when I was in the office, the former governor of Benue State asked me to meet him in his house in Maitama, Abuja. I went and met him in the house together with one fair woman. He asked me to give the woman my account number. I gave the woman my Zenith Bank account number. The woman said she’ll send money into that account. “On the 8th of August 2014, N413 million was transferred to my account. Based on this, I called the former governor and he told me to change the money to dollars and I asked him to give me time to do that. Three days after I bought the dollar equivalent, I called the former governor and informed him that the money was ready. He now asked me to take the money to his house in Maitama, near Jumat Mosque. I now told him that he should inform the security at the gate that I was coming, if not they’ll not allow me access into the gate. I took a cab to the house, and after I arrived at the house, I knocked at the gate and they opened. I told them my name. They opened the first and second gates and I sat in the waiting room where he came and met me. I now brought out the money which we both confirmed to be the equivalent of the  N413 million. The exchange rate then was N197”, he said Testifying further, he said, “On the 12th of September 2014, N637 million was transferred to my account.  After N637million was transferred to my account, after like 40 minutes N363million was also transferred into my account. On 13th October 2014, N630,008,050, (Six Hundred and Thirty Million, Eight Thousand and Fifty Naira) was also transferred to my account. On 17th October 2014 N1,068,000,000 (One Billion, Sixty-eight Million) was transferred to my account. It is the woman that was directed by the former governor to do the transfers. The total money transferred to my account was N3billion”. The witness who stated that he was neither arrested by the EFCC for giving any testimony in favor of the defendant, nor threatened by the Commission to give evidence against the defendant, further disclosed that he did not have receipts for the transactions, so also no record book for them, stating that he buys dollars from his fellow retailers and only records based on discretion. Justice Lifu adjourned the matter till October 4, 2024, for continuation of trial.

Read More