Tyson Fury takes up ‘new job’ weeks after quitting boxing

Tyson Fury appears to be enjoying the retirement life by training his wife Paris at a local gym in Lancashire. Last month, the 36-year-old announced his decision to walk away from the sport of boxing following back-to-back defeats to Oleksandr Usyk. “Hi everybody, I’m going to make this short and sweet,” he said to the camera. “I’d like to announce my retirement from boxing. It’s been a blast, I’ve loved every single minute of it. I’m going to end with this. Dick Turpin wore a mask. God bless everybody, see you on the other side. Get up!” Fury was recently seen taking his family to Disneyland Paris. Tyson, his wife Paris, and their seven kids spent the day at the park, enjoying the rides and attractions. Paris shared photos from their trip on social media, showing the family having a great time. Tyson was seen pushing his youngest child in a stroller, smiling as they explored the park together. Paris captioned the wholesome post: “If you can dream it, you can do it” Walt Disney.” For now, it seems as if the ‘Gypsy King’ is happy with his decision and it looks as if he has taken up a new job, being Paris’ personal trainer. In a story uploaded to his official Instagram page, Fury, along with wife Paris, were working out at the Salt Ayre Leisure Centre in Lancaster, Lancashire. The pair were seemingly warming up on the treadmills before Fury asked his wife: “How’re you feeling, babe?,” to which she immediately replied: “Tired.” Fury continued: “Tired, on your warm up?! Training her right up I am. What a sort she’s going to be when I train her right up! How’re you feeling?” Paris jokingly replied back: “You’re as daft as a brush.” The ‘Gypsy King’ concluded: “Daft as a brush? Please, that’s a compliment, daft as a brush. Of course I am!” It’s fair to say that the British heavyweight star was looking rather lean in the video amid talks of a potential showdown with rival Anthony Joshua despite being fulled retired. Derek Chisora, a former foe of the ‘Gypsy King’ believes the 36-year-old will make yet another return to the ring to take on ‘AJ.’ His comments came after ‘Del Boy’ sensationally toppled Otto Wallin in his penultimate fight on Saturday night. Fury’s long-time promoter Frank Warren recently revealed that the former heavyweight star is set to make some ‘serious announcements’ soon. Speaking on the Seconds Out YouTube channel, he said: “Didn’t even discuss it with him,” the 72-year-old said of the Brit returning to the ring. He later added: “He’s enjoying himself. He’s had a hard, hard year last year. Tough fights, three training camps… tough times. Missed his family, missed his kids.” Warren revealed he wouldn’t encourage Fury to fight again before adding that the former world champion is set to reveal a big announcement. “I wouldn’t encourage him to fight again,” he continued. “But if he does fight again, who knows, he may do it again. If he does that’s up to him. What I know he’s going to be doing is making some serious announcements about things he is doing outside of the ring that are exciting. I’m not going to say what they are, but they are bloody exciting. Everybody’s going to love it.”

Read More

Tyson Fury announces retirement from boxing

Boxing great Tyson Fury has announced his retirement from the sport following consecutive defeats to unified heavyweight champion Oleksandr Usyk. Talk of either an Usyk trilogy or a fight against Anthony Joshua surrounded the immediate future of the ‘Gypsy King’, but the 36-year-old has instead opted to retire, putting an end to an iconic career. “Hi everybody, I’m going to make this short and sweet,” said Fury in a video posted to Instagram. “I’d like to announce my retirement from boxing, it’s been a blast. I’ve loved every single minute of it. “I’m going to end with this, Dick Turpin wore a mask. God bless everybody, see you on the other side.” Fury went toe-to-toe with Usyk for the first time in Riyadh in May last year. He suffered his maiden professional defeat via split decision, a victory which granted the Ukrainian undisputed status. Fury sought revenge on his heavyweight counterpart when the pair locked horns in a rematch in December, but Usyk again emerged victorious via unanimous decision. The Englishman was frustrated by the scoring, having felt that he had done enough to win the rematch, saying Usyk received a “bit of a Christmas gift from the judges”. And when pushed to reveal future plans following the Saudi Arabia showdown, Fury was non-committal. “I’m having some time off,” he said. “I might do, I might not. Who knows? We’ll talk about that next year.” The back-to-back defeats saw speculation mount over Fury’s next move, with a fight against fellow Briton Joshua hotly tipped for 2025. Speaking at The Ring Magazine Awards last week, Joshua himself encouraged the bout, saying: “It has to happen this year.” Fury initially announced he would retire in 2022 following victory over Dillian Whyte, but U-turned on the decision, returning to action to defeat Derek Chisora in December that year. He then went on to defeat Francis Ngannou via split decision in October 2023, before taking on the Usyk double-header the following year. Fury’s retirement brings an end to a glittering career in the ring, which saw him claim WBA, IBF, WBO, and IBO heavyweight titles after ending Wladimir Klitschko’s long-standing dominance in the heavyweight division with victory over the Ukrainian in 2015. He would soon go on to vacate the titles as he temporarily stepped away from the sport – and he returned to the ring in 2018 with victory over Sefer Seferi. Among his iconic fights, an epic trilogy with Deontay Wilder stands out. The pair fought out a thrilling draw in 2018, before Fury went on to claim back-to-back knockout victories over the American in 2020 and 2021. Fury retired with an imperious record of 34 victories to just two defeats, both coming against Usyk. The Englishman retires having never suffered defeat via knockout.

Read More

Tyson Fury bans his ‘distracting’ dad from Usyk re-match

John Fury will not be in his son Tyson’s corner for Saturday’s world heavyweight title showdown against Oleksandr Usyk, the Gypsy King’s trainer has confirmed. Tyson, 36, is bidding to bounce back after losing to the Ukrainian by split decision back in May, with Usyk becoming the first undisputed heavyweight champion since 1999 following his triumph in Saudi Arabia. The Gypsy King’s father John, 59, was criticised by several fans for his behaviour in the build-up to May’s fight, having been left bloodied after headbutting a member of Usyk’s camp. John was left bleeding from his forehead after he launched the attack in the lobby of the Riyadh Hilton Hotel in Saudi Arabia. Footage that quickly circulated on social media showed Fury Snr lashing out with his head towards Stanislav Stepchuk, who was wearing Usyk’s team tracksuit. He then had to be restrained after security stepped in to prevent any further confrontation. After the fight, fans suggested that John’s presence in the corner distracted Tyson from tactical advice being offered by his coach Andy Lee and trainer SugarHill Steward. Now, SugarHill has confirmed that Tyson’s father will not be present in the corner for Saturday’s showpiece. ‘Tyson is just ready right now, along with myself,’ the trainer said. ‘He has always has a silly demeanour, playing around, but this is a different side of him and he is 100 per cent ready.’ When asked exactly who will be in the corner, SugarHill replied: ‘Just myself, Andy Lee and the cutman, pretty much that’s it.’ Meanwhile, Lee admitted there we perhaps too many voices in Tyson’s corner last time. He added: ‘Last time the corner was hectic, especially towards the end of the fight. There were three different voices in there, SugarHill, John and me. ‘I can understand, from a dad’s point of view, he was trying to protect his son. But SugarHill was trying to win the fight. I was told Tyson was two rounds down and I had to communicate that to him.’ Tyson is determined to avenge his sole professional defeat — and perhaps has decided that his father’s exclusion from the corner will help him focus. The Gypsy King revealed earlier this week that he has not spoken to his wife Paris in three months after locking himself away for his training camp. Promoter Frank Warren has explained the thinking behind Tyson shutting himself off from the outside world ahead of this weekend’s heavyweight showdown. ‘His mind just needs to be Usyk,’ Warren exclusively told Mail Sport. Attempting to get into the mind of the Gypsy King, he added: ‘This is what I’ve got to do. I don’t want to be distracted. ‘I don’t want to know if there’s a problem at home. I don’t know if I’ve got a business problem. All I want to do is focus on this. This is what I want. I need to win this fight. ‘It’s not about the belts, it’s about beating the guy who got the decision in the last fight in a very, very close fight, a split decision. He needs and feels he’s got to do this to win that. ‘I’ve got to sacrifice, I’ve got to be in that mood, I’ve got to be in that mindset, I’ve got to focus on this is what it is. And I’m not going to be deviated, no one’s going to distract me. Blinkers on, that’s it. And that’s where he’s at.’ Earlier this month, Tyson vowed to take his rematch against Usyk more seriously this time, admitting he did too much ‘clowning’ during the last bout. He said: ‘I’ll just throw more this time. Keep hitting him in the face more often than I did last time. ‘I’m just going to box smart, box clever and if I catch him, get him out of there. ‘retty similar to what I did last time. ‘A little bit less clowning around and a bit more focus and that’s it, really. ‘I did more clowning than anybody in any high-level fight’s ever done. ‘It’s taken my focus away as well, so maybe a little less clowning and more focus on the actual victory. I was messing around too much in there.’

Read More

Joshua, Tyson Fury, Usyk battle for British Boxing Award

Anthony Joshua, Tyson Fury and Okeksandr Usyk have been shortlisted for the British Boxing Awards next month. The awards ceremony will host some of the biggest names in British boxing and the celebrity world on November 8 in London as it celebrates the achievements in the sport. It is the first time that all levels of British boxing, from the grassroots gym volunteers to the international superstars, will be recognised at one flagship event. Former Team GB and professional boxing star Nicola Adams has been named as the host for the event, with some breakthrough stars also bidding to win some of the awards on offer. Now, the shortlist has been revealed for the awards up for grabs, with the categories sweeping through multiple levels of the sport. In some of the top awards, Joshua and Fury are among those shortlised to win Male British Boxer of the Year, as well as the likes of Jack Catterall, Callum Smith and Lawrence Okolie. Also in the running for the award are Chris Billam-Smith, Liam Smith, Joshua Buatsi, Nick Ball and Chris Eubank Jnr. In the Women’s Award, Katie Taylor is the lead name, with the likes of Natasha Jones, Savannah Marshall and Chantelle Cameron also hopeful. The other names on the list include Caroline Dubois, Ellie Scotney and Sandy Ryan. Usyk comes into the conversation in the International Boxing Champion of the Year category, with Joshua, Fury and Deontay Wilder also shortlisted. Canelo Alvarez, Billam-Smith and Imane Khelif are also on the list.   There are plenty more commendations up for grabs in the Grassroots Boxing Hero, Out of the Ring Award, Best Brand of the Year, Inspirational Role Model and a Lifetime Achievement Award categories. Michael Buffer and Lennox Lewis are both shortlisted in the British Boxing Broadcaster or Journalist category, while Lewis is again mentioned, alongside the likes of Amir Khan and David Haye in the Insprational Role Model shortlist. Khan and Frank Bruno are shortlisted for the Out of the Ring Award for their work with their foundations, and Misfits make the Business of the Year shortlist alongside the likes of Queensberry and Matchroom – Frank Warren and Eddie Hearn are also sortlisted for the Promoter of the Year Awards. ‘This is an incredible shortlist,’ host Adams said following the announcement. ‘The British Boxing Awards is shining a light on the people and organisations contributing to the phenomenal growth of the sport. Boxing champions, both in and out of the ring, will be recognised. ‘This is a major first for the sport in the UK and I am incredibly excited to be hosting this event. It is going to be a special night. Good luck to all of the nominees.’

Read More