Osimhen opens up on Galatasaray move 

Victor Osimhen has expressed his satisfaction with his decision to join Galatasaray on loan from Napoli. Despite receiving offers from other clubs, Osimhen chose Galatasaray due to the club’s ambition and the convincing approach from the coach. He was drawn to the opportunity to play alongside experienced players like Mauro Icardi and contribute to the team’s success. “I had plans to stay there and wait for three or four months and leave in January, but I think for me it was fair also to stay there because I wouldn’t let anyone decide for me,” Osimhen told TRT Spor, from the Galatasaray training centre. “It was important for me to stay there since I didn’t get the deserved move that I really preferred. “When I received the call from the Galatasaray coach, it was really convincing. He said what he wanted to do this season and what he wanted to achieve. I could see what he had set for himself as a man, a coach, and a father. I think I fit in this plan and coming to a team with already a lot of quality players with great ambition, as a footballer it was easy to come. “When I came I could see how serious Galatasaray are as a club. For me it was the right decision, but also for my family and my daughter. Coming to a city like Istanbul, one of the best in the world. It was easy. So far so good, I’m really happy about my decision. I want to contribute and win something important here.” Osimhen has quickly adapted to Galatasaray, scoring two goals and providing four assists in his first four games. He has formed a good partnership with Icardi and is focused on helping the team achieve their goals. Osimhen’s decision to join Galatasaray was influenced by several factors, including the club’s prestige, the opportunity to play in a major league, and the personal recommendation from his idol, Didier Drogba. “I would like to thank Galatasaray fans as I remember how they welcomed me,” he added. “I am not a player who puts myself before the team. My ambition was to add and contribute to the quality the team already has,” continued the Nigerian forward.” There were fears that Osimhen would struggle to adapt at Galatasaray playing with another big personality like Mauro Icardi, but the opening games suggest otherwise. “I have great respect for Icardi and what he’s done for football and Galatasaray,” he said. “He’s a big legend here. We’ve seen how me and him can work well on the pitch. But for me, I don’t care about being the best scorer in the league. I want to score, assist and help the team when I have the chance, [help] in defence and attack, just like the coach needs me to do, but collective success is what’s paramount.” Osimhen already has two goals and four assists in four games for the Lions and has firmly established himself as a fan favourite. Galatasaray play Antalyaspor next away from home on Saturday 19 October, Osimhen is expected to return after recovering from a small injury.

Read More

Luton Town signs Victor Moses

English Championship side Luton Town have announced the signing of free agent Victor Moses on a permanent contract, subject to international clearance. The 33-year-old former Nigeria international has most recently been playing his football in Russia with Spartak Moscow, who he joined in 2021 after a successful loan spell from Chelsea in the 2020/21 campaign. Born in Kaduna, Nigeria, Victor came to the UK as a boy and played for England from Under-16 to U21 while coming through the ranks at Crystal Palace, where he made 69 appearances and scored 11 goals for the then-Championship club. He stepped up to the Premier League with a £2.5m move to Wigan Athletic in January 2010, netting nine times in 80 appearances before Chelsea paid £9m to sign him in the summer of 2012. Moses was part of the squad that won the Europa League in 2012/13, but spent much of his nine years as a Chelsea player out on loan, playing for European giants Liverpool and Inter Milan, as well as domestically for West Ham and Stoke and in Turkey with Fenerbahce. In his time at Stamford Bridge, he made 128 appearances for the Blues, scoring 18 goals, and won the Premier League and FA Cup in successive years in 2017 and 2018, before moving permanently to Spartak for £4.5m in 2021, where he also won the Russian Cup. Manager Rob Edwards said: “Victor is one we’ve been talking to for quite a while. He trained with us last week and played 60 minutes in a behind closed doors game, and we made a decision because we think he’s able to come in and help us. “He gives us more strength in depth and versatility, because he’s someone who can play both sides or as a number ten. “He’s played for so many different clubs in different ways and shapes, and under different managers, so he’s tactically aware. We think he’s someone who can provide some really good competition for us. “I don’t want to put too much pressure on him and expect too much too soon. He’s not going to come in and start the games straight away. He’s got to get used to what we do and how we play, but he’s fit, he’s able to come in and affect it now, and he definitely makes the squad stronger.” Including 38 caps for Nigeria and 29 for the England age groups, Victor’s career spans almost 550 matches, 84 goals, and boasts appearances in two World Cups, the Africa Cup of Nations, Champions League and Europa League, a tournament in which he played in the 2019/20 final for Inter Milan, losing 3-2 to Sevilla. “He’s someone who we can learn from as well,” adds Rob. “He’s won a Premier League title under Antionio Conte playing in a similar sort of role to what we ask some of our lads to do, so we’ll be able to pick his brains. “He’s had a fantastic career, been there and done it. He’s got an amazing CV. But alongside that he’s a really good lad, a quiet, unassuming, down to earth person. “What tells you about his humility is that he’s been willing to come in, basically on trial with us, to show how hungry he is to play for Luton Town. We are really excited about working with him.” Victor was equally excited after putting pen to paper and claiming squad number seven with the Hatters. “I’m looking forward to it,” said Victor in his first interview with LTFC+. “I had a few offers from Europe, but I said to my agent that I set my mind on staying over here, and here we are. I’m very pleased and honoured to be at this club and I just can’t wait to get going. “I spoke to Rob before I came, I spoke to the directors and they told me the plan and the history of the club, and I just want to be part of the success. “I want to come here and enjoy my football, work hard for the club and for the team, and get back to where we belong in the Premier League.”

Read More

Mikel admits role in Osimhen’s transfer

John Obi Mikel has revealed he played a key role in trying to get Victor Osimhen to Chelsea. The Napoli and Nigeria striker was heavily linked to the goal-shy Premier League side for much of the summer transfer window, but ended up joining Galatasaray on loan. Given Osimhen’s role in ending Napoli’s 33-year wait for a league title as Serie A’s top scorer in the 2022/23 campaign, it seemed rather remarkable that he landed in the Turkish Super Lig which is ranked as the tenth best in Europe. But as former Blue Mikel revealed, it wasn’t for the want of trying from either Chelsea or Osimhen. “I mean, a lot happened, and I think it’s an open secret that I was involved in the deal,” he said on his Obi One Podcast. “I was involved in trying to make sure that I get Victor to the club. A lot happened, it was very interesting, because I think I hear a lot of people saying this and saying that about Victor and and how greedy he is and stuff like that. “I just want to categorically say it here that I know the kid since from the very first day he joined the national team, my relationship with him has been very, very good. And since then we’ve kept in contact and been friends. “I know what he’s capable of, and I just want to say that is absolutely not true. Victor is not a greedy boy. He only wants to get what he deserves. And that’s not a problem. “He wasn’t asking for all that bulls*** [£500,000 per-week]. I know what happened. I was there, in the midst of everything. So I can tell everybody that that is definitely not true. “He’s not a greedy boy, he just wants to play football and get what he deserves, a player knowing what he’s worth and asking to be paid what he’s worth is not a problem.” Osimhen was heavily-linked to both Chelsea and Saudi Pro League side Al Ahli during the final days of the transfer window, and talkSPORT understands that he rejected the latter approach. Meanwhile, personal terms are understood to have held things up for the Blues, something Mikel alluded to while suggesting that the deal may not be over. “We were very very close to getting this deal done but there were slight issues and problems that we couldn’t get over the line,” Mikel said. “Of course the medical couldn’t be done even if the deal got done. “I know exactly where we stopped and exactly where we are with the deal, if eventually in January we have to pick it up again I know exactly where we are and where we have to start from. “I was the guy right in the middle of everything and there were a couple of days where I didn’t sleep.”

Read More

Zidane hints at Man Utd job

Zinedine Zidane has admitted he is open to a long-awaited return to management after speculation linking him to Manchester United resurfaced. Zidane has been without a job since leaving Real Madrid for the second time in May 2021. The 52-year-old Frenchman has been linked with several roles in the past three years, including United, Bayern Munich and the national team jobs at United States, Brazil and Algeria, but is still biding his time. He sparked rumours that he could be preparing for a return to the dugout this week when he was spotted attending a training session at Real Betis. It comes amid pressure on Erik ten Hag at United following a poor start to the season, just months after the club’s new leadership team openly courted other managers. Thomas Tuchel, Graham Potter and Gareth Southgate were among those considered by Sir Jim Ratcliffe and his advisors, while L’Equipe stated that Zidane was also interested in taking over from Ten Hag. In the end, Ten Hag was given a stay of execution, but the Dutchman remains on shaky ground after the 3-0 thrashing by Liverpool at Old Trafford. At the premiere of a film about his former Juventus manager Marcelo Lippi in February, Zidane was asked if he would return to coaching. He replied: “Why not, anything can happen. Now I’m doing other things, but we’ll see. I’d certainly like to return to the bench.” Zidane has only ever managed at Real Madrid so far in his coaching career, but was incredibly successful over his two spells at the club. The former midfielder won two La Liga titles and three Champions League titles before walking away at the end of the 2020/21 campaign. He has taken an unusually long time out since then, but his ethos is clear: he will only return for the right opportunity. “Never say never,” Zidane told L’Equipe in 2022. “Especially when you are a coach today. If I go back to a club, it is to win. I say this with all modesty. That’s why I can’t just go anywhere. “For other reasons, too. Certain conditions make things more difficult. When someone says to me, ‘Do you want to go to Manchester [United]?’ I understand English but I don’t fully master it. “I know there are coaches who go to clubs without speaking the language, but I work differently. To win, many elements come into play. It’s a global context. I know what I need to win. Of course, I might not always win, but I know that you need to have this, this and this. And I want to do everything on my side to optimise my chances of victory.”

Read More

Osimhen: Onyekuru lured me to Galatasaray 

African footballer of the Year Victor Osimhen has revealed that Henry Onyekuru furnished him with necessary information before agreeing to Galatasaray move.  The Nigeria striker has joined in a straight loan from Napoli with a break clause for January. He said upon signing his contract: “When I heard about Galatasaray’s interest, it was an easy decision for me. I knew how big Galatasaray was and how much of a family club it was. They have an incredible fan base. “Henry Onyekuru is my friend and he played for Galatasaray, he told me how big the club, the fans and the people here are.  “So it was an easy decision for me. When I landed at the airport, the fans welcomed me with so much emotion that I felt very happy.  “These things are important for a player. I want to do everything I can for them.  “I can’t wait to start this project. I’m very excited.” On a reunion with former Napoli teammate Dries Mertens, he continued: “Dries Mertens was always with me when I played in Italy. He became a big brother to me. He is a person I respect a lot, I am excited to be teammates with him again.  “I can’t wait to meet my teammates as soon as possible. I was already watching Galatasaray games. “I follow Mertens to see how he plays since he came here. I was following his development as a person and as a footballer.  “The interactions of the players with the fans when they score goals and win games are also exciting. Now I hope our fans will support me after every goal. I can’t wait. “I say hello to the Galatasaray fans, Osimhen is here. Thank you very much for welcoming me at the airport. It was a great welcome.”

Read More

Osimhen opts for Gala’s number 45 shirt 

Reigning African footballer of the Year, Victor Osimhen has reportedly opted to wear No. 45 shirt at Galatasaray for the 2024-25 campaign. Italy-based transfer expert Fabrizio Romano revealed this on his social media handle on Wednesday.  Osimhen was not short of traditional options when it came to squad numbers that he could have chosen. Most notably, the number seven shirt is currently vacant. During the 2018-19 season, Osimhen wore that number with Belgian side Charleroi, where he netted 20 goals from 36 appearances in all competitions. Osimhen has spent the last day or so in Turkey with Galatasaray officially showcasing his arrival and time in the country on their social media pages.

Read More