Juventus sacks manager Thiago Motta

Juventus have sacked head coach Thiago Motta less than a season into his tenure and moved quickly to line up his replacement. Motta, 42, was officially informed of his dismissal by the club’s hierarchy on Sunday after a nightmare run of results and has been replaced by Igor Tudor. Tudor, whose last managerial role came at Serie A rivals Lazio, will take charge for the rest of the season with Champions League qualification crucial in determining whether his deal is extended. He will oversee his first training session on Monday. Juventus crashed out of the Champions League and both the Coppa Italia and Supercoppa Italiana this season, and recently suffered a 4-0 humbling at the hands of title contenders Atalanta, their heaviest home defeat since 1967. Motta’s last match at the helm proved to be the 3-0 loss at eighth-placed Fiorentina, a result that left the Old Lady in fifth, one point adrift of fourth.

Read More

Ondo Governor sacks commissioners, special advisers

Ondo State Governor Lucky Aiyedatiwa, has dissolved the State Executive Council with immediate effect. Aiyedatiwa, however, exempted two members of the cabinet from the dissolution “due to the critical nature of their duties.” A statement by his Chief Press Secretary, Ebenezer Adeniyan, listed the two cabinet members as the Attorney General and Commissioner for Justice, Dr. Kayode Ajulo, and the Commissioner for Finance, Mrs. Omowunmi Isaac. The statement directed all affected cabinet members to hand over all government properties in their care to the accounting officers of their respective ministries. Aiyedatiwa thanked the EXCO members for their service and contributions to the development of the state under his administration and wished them well in their future endeavours.

Read More

Everton sacks manager Sean Dyche

Premier League strugglers Everton sacked manager Sean Dyche on Thursday, just hours before their FA Cup third-round tie against Peterborough. Speculation about Dyche’s future had intensified with reports suggesting Everton’s new owners, the US-based Friedkin Group, were talking to potential successors since completing a £400 million ($492 million) takeover last month. Everton said in a statement Dyche had been “relieved of his duties as senior men’s first-team manager with immediate effect” after two years in charge, with the process to appoint a new boss under way. The Toffees are once again battling to avoid relegation from the Premier League after winning just one of their past 11 games, with that sole success coming against fellow drop candidates Wolves in December. Everton Under-18s head coach Leighton Baines and club captain Seamus Coleman will take charge against third-tier Peterborough on an interim basis while the Liverpool side seek a permanent replacement for Dyche. Former Manchester United and Chelsea boss Jose Mourinho, currently in charge of Turkish club Fenerbahce, has recently been linked with Everton. Mourinho has experience of working with the Friedkin Group at Roma, although the Italian club sacked him just under a year ago. David Moyes, who managed Everton between 2002 and 2013, ex-England coach Gareth Southgate, Brentford boss Thomas Frank and Bournemouth manager Andoni Iraola are also among the reported contenders to succeed Dyche. Everton have won only three times in 19 league matches this season and are languishing in 16th place, with only one point separating them from the relegation zone. Asked earlier this week if the club were considering his position, Dyche’s answer suggested he knew the sack could be looming. “To be clear, it should be,” the former Burnley boss said. “At the end of the day, if you’re a business of this size, succession planning should surely be part of their diligence. I’ve got no problem with that at all. “I think the noise has grown very powerful here. It does. But we’ve had it before. “The players haven’t lacked effort but it’s obviously affecting them because you can see it in their performances.” Dyche took charge at Everton in January 2023 and kept them in the top-flight despite numerous issues, including last season’s points deduction for breaching Premier League rules on profit and sustainability. They finished 17th in Dyche’s first season, avoiding the drop with a victory against Bournemouth on the last day, and came 15th last term, extending their streak of being ever-present in English football’s top-flight since 1954. But chief among Everton’s problems under the 53-year-old Englishman were a lack of entertainment and a paucity of goals. Everton’s tally of just 15 this season is the second worst in the Premier League, behind only bottom of the table Southampton’s 12.

Read More

Championship strugglers fire Wayne Rooney

Former Manchester United star Wayne Rooney stepped down as Plymouth manager on Tuesday after just seven months in charge of the Championship strugglers. Rooney leaves with Plymouth rooted to the bottom of the second tier following Sunday’s 2-0 defeat at relegation rivals Oxford. Plymouth sit four points from safety after winning just four times and losing 13 of their 23 league games following Rooney’s appointment in May. Plymouth have been thrashed 6-1 by Norwich and lost 4-0 against both Bristol City and Coventry in recent weeks to heap the pressure on the former England captain. “I would like to take this opportunity to thank the board of Plymouth,” said Rooney. “Thanks also to all the staff who made me feel welcome and who make the club such a special place, the players and fans for their efforts and support during my time as head coach and I wish them all the best for the future. “To the Green Army thanks for making the games at Home Park so special, they are memories that we will share forever. “Plymouth Argyle will always hold a special place in my heart, and I will continue to look out for and take interest in their results.” A statement on the club website added: “Plymouth Argyle can confirm that the club and head coach Wayne Rooney have mutually agreed to part ways with immediate effect. “We would like to thank Wayne and his team for all their efforts and wish them well for the future.” It is 39-year-old Rooney’s latest managerial flop. He was sacked by Birmingham after only 15 games in charge last season. Birmingham were eventually relegated from the Championship after Rooney’s exit. Rooney was also unable to keep Derby in the Championship after the club were hit with hefty points deductions when they went into administration and breached Football League accounting rules. He earned plaudits at Derby for keeping them in the survival battle until the end of the season but quit the Rams in the aftermath of their relegation in 2022. Rooney also had a spell as DC United manager in the United States before returning to England. Feted as one of the greatest players of his generation, Rooney is Manchester United’s all-time leading goalscorer and also held that record with England for eight years before it was broken by Harry Kane in 2023. He won five Premier League titles, the Champions League, Europa League, FA Cup and League Cup in a glittering 13-year spell with United that ended in 2017.

Read More