Tyson Fury takes up ‘new job’ weeks after quitting boxing

Tyson Fury appears to be enjoying the retirement life by training his wife Paris at a local gym in Lancashire. Last month, the 36-year-old announced his decision to walk away from the sport of boxing following back-to-back defeats to Oleksandr Usyk. “Hi everybody, I’m going to make this short and sweet,” he said to the camera. “I’d like to announce my retirement from boxing. It’s been a blast, I’ve loved every single minute of it. I’m going to end with this. Dick Turpin wore a mask. God bless everybody, see you on the other side. Get up!” Fury was recently seen taking his family to Disneyland Paris. Tyson, his wife Paris, and their seven kids spent the day at the park, enjoying the rides and attractions. Paris shared photos from their trip on social media, showing the family having a great time. Tyson was seen pushing his youngest child in a stroller, smiling as they explored the park together. Paris captioned the wholesome post: “If you can dream it, you can do it” Walt Disney.” For now, it seems as if the ‘Gypsy King’ is happy with his decision and it looks as if he has taken up a new job, being Paris’ personal trainer. In a story uploaded to his official Instagram page, Fury, along with wife Paris, were working out at the Salt Ayre Leisure Centre in Lancaster, Lancashire. The pair were seemingly warming up on the treadmills before Fury asked his wife: “How’re you feeling, babe?,” to which she immediately replied: “Tired.” Fury continued: “Tired, on your warm up?! Training her right up I am. What a sort she’s going to be when I train her right up! How’re you feeling?” Paris jokingly replied back: “You’re as daft as a brush.” The ‘Gypsy King’ concluded: “Daft as a brush? Please, that’s a compliment, daft as a brush. Of course I am!” It’s fair to say that the British heavyweight star was looking rather lean in the video amid talks of a potential showdown with rival Anthony Joshua despite being fulled retired. Derek Chisora, a former foe of the ‘Gypsy King’ believes the 36-year-old will make yet another return to the ring to take on ‘AJ.’ His comments came after ‘Del Boy’ sensationally toppled Otto Wallin in his penultimate fight on Saturday night. Fury’s long-time promoter Frank Warren recently revealed that the former heavyweight star is set to make some ‘serious announcements’ soon. Speaking on the Seconds Out YouTube channel, he said: “Didn’t even discuss it with him,” the 72-year-old said of the Brit returning to the ring. He later added: “He’s enjoying himself. He’s had a hard, hard year last year. Tough fights, three training camps… tough times. Missed his family, missed his kids.” Warren revealed he wouldn’t encourage Fury to fight again before adding that the former world champion is set to reveal a big announcement. “I wouldn’t encourage him to fight again,” he continued. “But if he does fight again, who knows, he may do it again. If he does that’s up to him. What I know he’s going to be doing is making some serious announcements about things he is doing outside of the ring that are exciting. I’m not going to say what they are, but they are bloody exciting. Everybody’s going to love it.”

Read More

Ronaldo turns 40, sets retirement timeline

Cristiano Ronaldo has hinted he has no plans to retire for at least another couple of years yet. The Portugal superstar – who declared himself as the greatest football of all-time – celebrated his landmark 40th birthday on Wednesday. But the ever-modest Real Madrid and Manchester United icon has shown no signs of slowing down in Saudi Arabia, where he continues to shine at Al-Nassr. The GOAT is closing in on his 1,000th career goal and is just 33 appearances shy of an astonishing 250 caps for his country. Ronaldo has also set his sights on playing in the 2026 World Cup and despite his Al-Nassr contract expiring this summer, the five-time Ballon d’Or winner is determined to push his limits even further. He said: “I could quit the sport today and I wouldn’t regret anything, but it would be a shame because I’m still very good. I would leave myself saying ‘I can still make a difference for another year or two’, that’s why I live very much in the present and I can’t think long term.” When Ronaldo does eventually decide to call time on his majestic career, the Madeira-born legend ruled out any prospect moving into management – instead revealing his intention to become a football club owner. In an interview with Spanish television station La Sexta, the Euro 2016 winner added: “Owning a club makes more sense. I don’t think my personality is well suited to being a coach. Almost impossible. I have been in football all my life… and being a coach is more complicated than being a player. “That is something that makes more sense. It is not something I rule out, if there is a good business. I do not have a club in my head, football is very momentary.”

Read More

PSC approves retirement of Senior Police Officers above 60 years

The Police Service Commission has approved the immediate retirement of Senior Police Officers who have spent more than 35 years in service and those above 60 years of age. The Commission at its 24th plenary meeting of 27th and 28th September 2017 had approved that the Force entrants should have their date of appointment in the Force against the date of their enlistment. The Commission has passionately revisted their decision and has come to the conclusion that the said decision in its intent and purpose contradicted the principle of merger of service in the Public service and it is in violation of Public Service Rule No 020908 ( i & ii) which provides for retirement on attainment of 35 years in service or 60 years of age. Accordingly, the Commission at its 1st extra ordinary meeting of the 6th Management Board held today, Friday, 31st January 2025, approved the immediate retirement of those officers who have spent more than 35 years in service and those above 60 years of age. The Commission Chairman, DIG Hashimu Argungu, rtd, mni, presided over the extraordinary Meeting and had Justice Adamu Paul Galumje, retired Justice of the Supreme Court and Hon Commissioner representing the Judiciary; DIG Taiwo Lakanu rtd, fdc, Honourable Commissioner representing the Police and Chief Onyemuchi Nnamani, Secretary to the Commission in attendance. The Commission’s decision has been conveyed to the Inspector General of Police for implementation.

Read More

Tyson Fury announces retirement from boxing

Boxing great Tyson Fury has announced his retirement from the sport following consecutive defeats to unified heavyweight champion Oleksandr Usyk. Talk of either an Usyk trilogy or a fight against Anthony Joshua surrounded the immediate future of the ‘Gypsy King’, but the 36-year-old has instead opted to retire, putting an end to an iconic career. “Hi everybody, I’m going to make this short and sweet,” said Fury in a video posted to Instagram. “I’d like to announce my retirement from boxing, it’s been a blast. I’ve loved every single minute of it. “I’m going to end with this, Dick Turpin wore a mask. God bless everybody, see you on the other side.” Fury went toe-to-toe with Usyk for the first time in Riyadh in May last year. He suffered his maiden professional defeat via split decision, a victory which granted the Ukrainian undisputed status. Fury sought revenge on his heavyweight counterpart when the pair locked horns in a rematch in December, but Usyk again emerged victorious via unanimous decision. The Englishman was frustrated by the scoring, having felt that he had done enough to win the rematch, saying Usyk received a “bit of a Christmas gift from the judges”. And when pushed to reveal future plans following the Saudi Arabia showdown, Fury was non-committal. “I’m having some time off,” he said. “I might do, I might not. Who knows? We’ll talk about that next year.” The back-to-back defeats saw speculation mount over Fury’s next move, with a fight against fellow Briton Joshua hotly tipped for 2025. Speaking at The Ring Magazine Awards last week, Joshua himself encouraged the bout, saying: “It has to happen this year.” Fury initially announced he would retire in 2022 following victory over Dillian Whyte, but U-turned on the decision, returning to action to defeat Derek Chisora in December that year. He then went on to defeat Francis Ngannou via split decision in October 2023, before taking on the Usyk double-header the following year. Fury’s retirement brings an end to a glittering career in the ring, which saw him claim WBA, IBF, WBO, and IBO heavyweight titles after ending Wladimir Klitschko’s long-standing dominance in the heavyweight division with victory over the Ukrainian in 2015. He would soon go on to vacate the titles as he temporarily stepped away from the sport – and he returned to the ring in 2018 with victory over Sefer Seferi. Among his iconic fights, an epic trilogy with Deontay Wilder stands out. The pair fought out a thrilling draw in 2018, before Fury went on to claim back-to-back knockout victories over the American in 2020 and 2021. Fury retired with an imperious record of 34 victories to just two defeats, both coming against Usyk. The Englishman retires having never suffered defeat via knockout.

Read More

Andres Iniesta quits football at 40

Legendary former Barcelona and Spain midfielder Andres Iniesta has confirmed his retirement from football aged 40. Iniesta, who scored the winning goal against the Netherlands in the 2010 FIFA World Cup final, burst onto the scene in the early 2000s, establishing himself as a core part of Barcelona’s midfield alongside long-term running buddy Xavi. He became one of the world’s best players, owing to his supreme technical ability, and was rewarded for his talent with endless success at both club and international level. A four-time Champions League and nine-time La Liga winner with Barcelona, Iniesta won the 2008 and 2012 European Championship with Spain, sandwiched either side of an unforgettable 2010 World Cup campaign that saw him break Dutch hearts with a late extra-time winner. Many felt his displays at club and international level would lead to the 2010 Ballon d’Or, but Barcelona teammate Lionel Messi pipped both Iniesta and Xavi to the award – he also finished in third place two years later. Iniesta departed Barcelona in 2018 but continued his career in Japan with Vissel Kobe, staying there for five years before joining Emirates Club, based in the United Arab Emirates, for a season. In an emotional announcement confirming he is stepping away from the game, Iniesta said: “I never thought this day would come. I never imagined it. All these tears we have shed these days are tears of emotion, of pride. They are not tears of sadness. They are tears of that boy from Fuentealbilla, who had the dream of being a footballer and we achieved it after a lot of work, sacrifice… of never giving up, essential values ​​in my life. “I feel very proud of this journey, with all the people who have accompanied me.” He continued: “I feel very happy to have achieved my dream. My sporting career has been like a fairy tale because I have experienced the best at a professional level. Let’s go through it. It starts on the track in my town, at school, and with all the trips to Albacete. My first steps were there. “I remember that stage as very happy. I remember watching Alba in the First Division. Although I never played professionally for Alba, I have always had two teams: Albacete and Barça. My land is in my heart.” “The journey of my life is Fuentealbilla-Barcelona. I am lucky to have the four people who made that trip with me. My parents, my grandfather and I. It is very nice that today we are together again at such a special moment. That journey involves everything: work, sacrifice, humility… La Masia changed me forever. It is the best place where I could be to enhance the values ​​that must be had in life. And I am grateful to all the people, teachers, teammates… it is a stage that undoubtedly marked our lives. “Coming to Barca was a dream, which I focused on to fulfil. That effort, coming to Barcelona at 12 years old with everything that meant, could not divert my focus from what I had. I arrived at the best place to fulfill my dreams that lay ahead.”

Read More

Anthony Joshua issues statement on retirement

Anthony Joshua still believes he can become a three-time heavyweight champion despite being knocked out by Daniel Dubois. Joshua was attempting to win a world title for the third time when he challenged Dubois at Wembley on Saturday night – but he was dropped three times before being stopped in the fifth round. Joshua then insisted he would not retire after suffering his fourth career defeat – and has now said he is confident he can still win back his crown. “We came up short but we’ve got to look at all the positives,” he said in a video posted to social media. “That’s the mindset and that’s the perspective we’ve got to have; a positive one always. Look at what we’ve achieved in the last 11 years, its phenomenal and i want to thank every single one you who has been riding with me. “What a rollercoaster journey, but you know what the problem is, it’s far from over yet. We’ve done it once, we’ve done it twice and doing it a third time hasnt been easy bit its something I can achieve, it’s about making the right steps forward, working hard and improving. It’s got to come from the heart more than anything. It can’t come from any external voices or influences; it’s got to come form the heart. “It’s only been a day but when I sit back and think, i know I’ve got a lot of heart. Thanks for your support, thanks for being on this rollercoaster journey with me. Keep your seatbelt tight because deep, deep, deep down in here I know I’ve got a lot more to bring to the game and long may it continue.” Joshua has a clause in his contract which would allow him to force a rematch with Dubois. And the champion’s promoter Frank Warren is open to a sequel. “I haven’t got a problem with a rematch. If they want to do it, if the terms are all okay and we’ll sit down and talk about it,” he told talkSPORT. “But it’s all too soon to say who he’s going to be fighting next. He needs to now savour the moment. He had some stick in the past from a couple of professionals. Fellow professionals which I thought was a liberty. He’s shown now what he’s all about. He gritted his teeth in that fight. He gritted his teeth in the two fights previous to that when he was an underdog in each of them. Went in with three undefeated fighters, one after the other ranked fighters. He’s had four fights this year against and four of those fights are all world rank, including one champion and one two time former world champion. How many fighters have done that?”

Read More