Tinubu Embarks on Working Visist to Paris

President Bola Ahmed Tinubu will depart for Paris, France, today on a short working visit. During the visit, the President will appraise his administration’s midterm performance and assess key milestones. He will also use the retreat to review the progress of ongoing reforms and engage in strategic planning ahead of his administration’s second anniversary. This period of reflection will inform plans to deepen ongoing reforms and accelerate national development priorities in the coming year. Recent economic strides reinforce the President’s commitment to these efforts, as evidenced by the Central Bank of Nigeria reporting a significant increase in net foreign exchange reserves to $23.11 billion—a testament to the administration’s fiscal reforms since 2023 when net reserves were $3.99 billion. While away, President Tinubu will remain fully engaged with his team and continue to oversee governance activities. He will return to Nigeria in about a fortnight.

Read More

Efe Ajagba: I’ll Beat Bakole, Then Bring Me Usyk, Dubois

Efe Ajagba is confident that his ‘power’ and ‘skills’ can topple Oleksandr Usyk or Daniel Dubois. The Nigerian hopes to stake his claim for a world heavyweight title fight when he takes on Martin Bakole on the Saul “Canelo” Alvarez vs William Scull undercard in Saudi Arabia on May 4. Ajagba goes into the Bakole fight in good form, having won his last five fights since being defeated by Frank Sanchez in October 2021, and admits his long-term goal is a title challenge against unified champion Usyk or IBF title holder Dubois. “I’m not overstepping. I’m just focused on Martin Bakole first,” Ajagba told Sky Sports. “After that, when I get the victory, that’s when I’m going to step up to fight who I want to fight next. Whether it’s Usyk or Dubois. “I have the abilities, I have the skills, I have the power, everything to become a heavyweight champion.” Bakole’s last fight came when he stepped in at two days’ notice to fight Joseph Parker after Dubois withdrew due to illness, but the Congolese contender suffered a second round knockout loss. Despite the manner of Bakole’s crushing defeat, Ajagba insists he is still wary of the threat posed by his opponent, who has beaten the likes of Jared Anderson, Tony Yoka and Carlos Takam. When asked about whether the defeat to Parker would have dented Bakole’s confidence, Ajagba said: “To me, in my opinion, I don’t think so. “I’m not going to take that knockout that he has [against Parker] to myself. I’m going to have more confidence to fight Martin Bakole. “I’m preparing for [the best of] him.”

Read More

Okonjo-Iweala, Sen. Natasha, Others Bag Arise News Awards

World Trade Organisation (WTO) Director-General, Dr. Ngozi Okonjo-Iweala, Senator Natasha Akpoti-Uduaghan and other bagged Arise News Women Making Impact awards in Lagos on Monday. The General Council of the World Trade Organization (WTO) agreed on 29 November by consensus to reappoint Iweala as Director-General for a second four-year term, set to begin on 1 September 2025. This decision reflects broad recognition of her exceptional leadership and strategic vision for the future of the WTO. The reappointment process, initiated on 8 October 2024, was overseen by Ambassador Petter Ølberg of Norway, Chair of the General Council. With no additional nominations submitted by the 8 November deadline, Dr. Okonjo-Iweala stood as the sole candidate. The process was conducted in a fully open and transparent manner, adhering to the WTO’s “Procedures for the Appointment of Directors-General” (WT/L/509). Similarly, Natasha Akpoti-Uduaghan, who was suspended for six months after submitting a petition was among the awardees. Akpoti-Uduaghan said she was being punished for speaking out against the system and that she now feared for her and her two-year-old’s safety as her security detail had been stripped. “The Nigerian Senate operates like a cult. The Senate president runs the Senate like a dictator, not a democrat. There is no freedom of speech, there is no freedom of expression and anyone who dares to go against him gets cut to size,” the 45-year-old said in the first TV interview since her suspension. Akpoti-Uduaghan, who represents the opposition Peoples Democratic Party (PDP), alleged that the sexual harassment started in 2023, when she visited Akpabio’s country home with her husband. She said the Akpabio “squeezed her hand suggestively” and said “I will make an opportunity for us to come here and have a good moment”. Akpoti-Uduaghan one of four female senators in a parliament of 109 members and she is also the first female senator in her state. Akpoti-Uduaghan told the BBC that she no longer had access to security as a result of the suspension.

Read More
Nigerian Boxer Collapses and Dies in Ghana Pro League Match.

How Nigerian Boxer Segun Olanrewaju Died in Ghana

Facts have begin to emerge on the real reasons behind the death of Nigerian boxer Gabriel Oluwasegun Olanrewaju popularly known as Success. The late boxer slumped and died in Round Three, according to the Nigeria Boxing Board of Control, Secretary General Remi Aboderin was on his way back to Nigeria but chose to return for the bout that claimed his life. “Segun (Olanrewaju) got our approval to fight in Ghana, a fight that was proposed to take place on a Friday. Unfortunately, they did weigh-in on Thursday and he was found to be overweight and they told him the person he was to fight was not his weight. “They said to do this, they would increase his purse with another $500, which he said was too small, and due to that, there was no agreement. “Saturday morning, they (Nigerian contigents) were on their way back to Lagos, they had even left Accra and were at Aflao border when Segun said to the coach that followed him, that’s Diran Alamu, that it was not going to be easy returning home; he left Nigeria with no money and he had debts to pay and needed money. “He called the Ghanaians and see if another fight was coming up and told them he was now ready to collect the additional $500 as discussed because he felt it would not pay him if he returned home without money. “So, they called the matchmaker, who informed him that there was a fight on Saturday night and that they could put the fight for that Saturday, but we didn’t give him the approval for that, and this is where the Ghana Boxing Association (GBA) erred. “So, he turned back and went back to Ghana because he needed the money; he owed a lot of people money,” the NBBofC secretary explained.

Read More

Tinubu Extends Immigration Comptroller-General’s Tenure

President Bola Ahmed Tinubu has approved an extension of Mrs. Kemi Nanna Nandap’s tenure as the Comptroller-General of the Nigeria Immigration Service (NIS) through December 31, 2026. Mrs Nandap began her career in the Nigeria Immigration Service on October 9, 1989. Tinubu appointed her as Comptroller-General on March 1, 2024, to serve till August 31, 2025. Under her leadership, the Nigeria Immigration Service has witnessed significant advancements in its core mandate, with notable improvements in border management, modernisation of immigration processes and national security measures. Tinubu commended the Comptroller-General for her exemplary leadership and urged her to continue dedicating herself to the Service’s strategic priorities, which align with his administration’s Renewed Hope Agenda. The President reaffirmed his administration’s commitment to supporting the Nigeria Immigration Service in fulfilling its mandate to protect Nigeria’s territorial integrity and promote safe, legal, and orderly migration.

Read More

Peter Obi Greets Muslims At Eid-el-Fitr Celebrations

Presidential candidate of Labour Party in the 2023 General Elections, Mr. Peter Obi has enjoined Muslims faithful to embrace the true essence of Eid—the spirit of giving, kindness, and solidarity as they celebrates Eid-el-Fitr. The former Anambra State Governor also urged them to extend a helping hand to the less privileged, support one another, and work together to build a just, equitable, and prosperous Nigeria. “My dear Muslim brothers and sisters, “I rejoice with you today as you mark the completion of the holy month of Ramadan. This period of fasting, prayer, and spiritual renewal has not only strengthened your faith but also reminded us all of the enduring values of sacrifice, discipline, and love for one another. “As you celebrate this Eid-el-Fitr, I encourage you to carry forward the lessons of Ramadan—compassion, humility, and service to humanity. Let us seize this moment to renew our collective commitment to peace, unity, and the progress of our dear nation, Nigeria. “At this critical time in our history, when many of our people face economic hardship, insecurity, and uncertainty, we must embrace the true essence of Eid—the spirit of giving, kindness, and solidarity. Let us extend a helping hand to the less privileged, support one another, and work together to build a just, equitable, and prosperous Nigeria. “I pray that Almighty Allah accepts your sacrifices, grants you His boundless blessings, and brings peace and prosperity to our beloved country. May this season usher in renewed hope and strength for us all. “Eid Mubarak to you and your families!”

Read More

Autistic Teen Artist Inspires Nigeria’s Youth To Make A Difference

Kanyeyachukwu Tagbo-Okeke, affectionately known as Kanye, has become a beacon of inspiration for Nigeria’s youth. The 15-year-old autistic artist is set to unveil what is expected to be the world’s largest art canvas by an individual on April 2, 2025, World Autism Awareness Day, at Eagles Square in Abuja. Kanye’s journey began at the tender age of two when he first showed a proclivity towards art. Despite facing challenges associated with autism, Kanye has flourished as an artist, earning accolades and the nickname “Young Picasso” for his exceptional abstract paintings. The young prodigy’s attempt at breaking the Guinness World Record started in November. 2024, as part of the Zeebah Foundation’s ‘Impossibility Is A Myth’ project. This initiative not only showcases Kanye’s extraordinary talent but also aims to raise funds for a state-of-the-art autism resource center in Abuja, highlighting the need for greater support and inclusion for individuals with autism. Kanye’s story aligns with MTN Nigeria’s recent “Go Make A Difference” (Go M.A.D) campaign, which encourages Nigerians to take bold steps and create positive impacts in their communities. Onyinye Ikenna-Emeka, MTN’s Chief Marketing Officer, emphasised how Kanye embodies the Go M.A.D philosophy: “MTN’s mission is to connect people all over the world. Kanye is connecting art lovers, and people all over the world as well. He is a true icon, breaking barriers and proving that nothing is impossible”. The unveiling event will be attended by key dignitaries, including FCT Minister Nyesom Wike, and Minister of Arts, Culture, Tourism and the Creative Economy, Hannatu Musawa. This high-profile support underscores the significance of Kanye’s achievement and its potential to inspire change. Kanye’s father, Tagbo Okeke, stressed that this record attempt goes beyond personal achievement. “We started this awareness campaign to tell parents that no child should be left behind, that they are Fabulous, Autistic and Talented,” he said. The family’s efforts, including opening a gallery in Abuja where art therapy workshops are conducted, demonstrate their commitment to supporting others on the autism spectrum. As Nigeria’s youth witness Kanye’s remarkable journey, many are inspired to make their own difference, regardless of the challenges they face. Kanye’s story proves that with determination, support, and the right tools – such as those provided by initiatives like MTN’s Go M.A.D campaign – young Nigerians can achieve extraordinary feats and create meaningful change in their communities. Kanye’s upcoming unveiling of his monumental artwork is not just a personal triumph; it’s a powerful statement about inclusion, perseverance, and the limitless potential of Nigeria’s youth to make a difference.

Read More

Eid-el-Fitr: SWAN Congratulates Muslims On Successful Ramadan, Sallah Celebration

The Sports Writers Association of Nigeria (SWAN) has felicitated with Muslim faithful across the country on the successful completion of Ramadan and the celebration of Eid-el-Fitr. SWAN President, Mr. Isaiah Benjamin, through the Association’s Secretary-General, Amb. Ikenna Okonkwo, on Sunday, said the sallah celebration signifies greater exploits ahead while calling for sustained prayers and commitment to peaceful coexistence in Nigeria. “Let’s continue to be our brother’s keepers. Islam is known for peace and harmony. It has been a dedicated Holy month of prayers and devotion. It is now incumbent on all to extend the good deeds, kindness, and pious hearts beyond this period as commanded by Allah and exemplified by prophet Muhammad (S A.W),” he said. President Benjamin wished Muslims a fresh moment of joy and ecstasy in greater fulfillment. He said, “As Muslims celebrate the joyous occasion of Eid Al-Fitr, we extend our warmest wishes to all our Muslim brothers and sisters, mostly within the sporting media and the entire sports fraternity. “May this season of love, gratitude, and togetherness bring you abundant blessings, prosperity, and fulfillment. “Eid Mubarak! May this celebration open doors to greater opportunities for all of us now and always.” The President of SWAN also said, “Just as Eid symbolises new beginnings and blessings, SWAN remains committed to fresh heights of excellence and renewed vigour in leading a robust sports developmental path in Nigeria and beyond.”

Read More