Tinubu places limitations on Ministers 

President Bola Tinubu has restricted Ministers, Ministers of State, and Heads of Agencies of the Federal Government to a maximum of three vehicles in their official convoys. No additional vehicles will be assigned to them for movement. The cost-cutting measure was announced on Thursday in a statement signed by the President. In January this year, President Tinubu took significant steps to reduce government expenditure by reducing his entourage on foreign trips from 50 to 20 officials. For local trips, he reduced it to 25 officials. He similarly reduced the Vice President’s entourage to five officials on foreign trips and 15 for local trips. In the directive issued today, President Tinubu also ordered all ministers, ministers of state, and heads of agencies to have at most five security personnel attached to them. The security team will comprise four police officers and one Department of State Services (DSS) officer. No additional security personnel will be assigned, he ordered. Tinubu instructed the National Security Adviser to engage with the Military, Paramilitary and Security Agencies to determine a suitable reduction in their vehicle and security personnel deployment. All affected officials are expected to comply with these new measures immediately, underscoring the urgency and seriousness of these changes.

Read More

Subsidy: Tinubu reels out gains in governance

Here are the gains Nigeria has achieved and what the President Tinubu-led government has been able to actualize from the removal of Fuel Subsidy among other ongoing reforms in the country… Economic Gains: Investment Gains: Transparency and Accountability Gains: Energy Sector Gains: Social Gains: Environmental Gains: Overall: These gains demonstrate the positive impact of fuel subsidy removal on Nigeria’s economy, energy sector, and society. It has been a challenging year so far, but it must be said that so much progress has been made in the bid to reposition the economy for a sustainable future.

Read More

Stop misusing DSS, proxies to silence us, SERAP tells Tinubu govt

Socio-Economic Rights and Accountability Project (SERAP) has urged President Bola Tinubu and his government “to stop the ‘weaponization’ of the country’s security agencies to target Nigerians simply for the peaceful exercise of their human rights, and to direct the Department of State Services (DSS) to immediately withdraw the baseless defamation lawsuit by their proxies against our organization and management staff.” Two named DSS officials last week filed a defamation lawsuit against SERAP, following allegations by the organization regarding the recent invasion of its Abuja office by some officials of the security agency. In the open letter dated 19 October 2024 and signed by SERAP deputy director Kolawole Oluwadare, the organisation said: “We are seriously concerned that your government seems to be weaponizing the DSS and misusing defamation laws as a tool of repression and to target those who defend human rights.” SERAP said, “Rather than addressing the allegations of widespread corruption in the oil sector and the worsening economic situation in the country, and reducing the cost of governance, your government is targeting those who campaign for actions in these areas.” The letter, read in part: “We would be grateful if the recommended measures are immediately taken following the receipt and/or publication of this letter. “If the lawsuit is not immediately withdrawn, we will be prepared to defend our organization and management staff in court, and to join your government and DSS in the lawsuit. This may include calling witnesses to ensure justice, end impunity for rights abuses, and achieve legitimate public interests in this matter. “We have since 2004 pursued several public interest cases against the governments of former presidents Olusegun Obasanjo, Umaru Musa Yar’Adua, Goodluck Jonathan and Muhammadu Buhari. This is the first time any government will weaponize the country’s security agencies to intimidate and target our organization. “The defamation lawsuit is brought by two named DSS officials but their names are unknown to our organization. The lawsuit by these officials is apparently instigated and sponsored by the DSS under your watch. “It is critical for human rights defenders, activists, journalists and other citizens to be able to organize and freely exercise their human rights without the threat of baseless lawsuits by your government or its security agencies and/or their proxies. “Weaponizing the security agencies to intimidate, harass and silence human rights defenders, activists, journalists and other civil society actors will weaken representative democracy, deepen impunity and undermine the rule of law. “Rather misusing the security agencies to crackdown on human rights defenders, activists, journalists and other civil society actors, your government ought to take steps to thoroughly, independently, impartially, transparently and effectively investigate the allegations raised by SERAP. “We are disappointed that your government has so far failed to respond to our recommendations calling on you to direct the Nigerian National Petroleum Company Limited (NNPCL) to immediately reverse the apparently illegal and unconstitutional increase in the pump price of petrol across its retail outlets. “Your government has also failed to probe the allegations of corruption and mismanagement in the NNPC, including the spending of the reported $300 million ‘bailout funds’ collected from the Federal Government in August 2024, and the $6 billion debt it owes suppliers, despite allegedly failing to remit oil revenues to the treasury and to prosecute suspected perpetrators. “Your government also continues to refuse to obey several court judgments obtained by SERAP, including those which ordered the Federal Government to disclose the details of the agreement with X, formerly Twitter, to assess whether the agreement complies with the exercise of Nigerians’ human rights online and to account for payments of N729 billion to 24.3 million poor Nigerians for six months. “SERAP had on 9 September 2024 also called on you and your government to direct the DSS to end the intimidation and harassment of our organization and our staff members. “Our call followed the invasion of our Abuja office by some officials of the DSS. SERAP was subsequently served with a defamation lawsuit with number CV/4547/24. “The country under your government has witnessed an escalating crackdown on human rights, particularly the rights to freedom of expression, peaceful assembly, association and media freedom, as well as socio-economic rights. “The judicial harassment of those who peacefully defend human rights is entirely inconsistent and incompatible with the letter and spirit of the Nigerian Constitution 1999 [as amended] and the country’s international human rights obligations. “Under your government, human rights defenders, activists, journalists and other civil society actors such as the leadership of the Nigerian Labour Congress (NLC) continue to face harassment, intimidation, and arbitrary detention simply for carrying out their legitimate work. “The judicial harassment of SERAP by your government and its agencies shows hostility towards civil society actors defending the rights of other citizens, criticizing human rights violations, and challenging a culture of impunity for perpetrators. “SERAP therefore urges your government to end the intimidation, harassment and threats against our organization and management staff and other human rights defenders, activists as well as journalists and other civil society actors, including intimidation, through baseless legal processes. “SERAP strives to ensure that our human rights and anticorruption work meet the highest standards of analytical rigor devoid of politics. Our work is driven solely by the fundamental principles of justice, impartiality, solidarity and universality of human rights. SERAP believes that no government is beyond scrutiny and accountability. “SERAP’s non-partisan work in the field of human rights and anticorruption has been widely recognized nationally and internationally. Our organization received the Wole Soyinka Anti-Corruption Defender Award in 2014, and was nominated for the UN Civil Society Award and Ford Foundation’s Jubilee Transparency Award. SERAP was also nominated for the 2024 Columbia Global Freedom of Expression Prizes. “Our organization’s calls on your government regarding the persistent increases in fuel prices and allegations of corruption in the NNPC are based on the constitutional and international responsibilities of your government to Nigerians who are victims of corruption, and your constitutional oath of office. “SERAP believes that it is through action like this that any…

Read More

Shettima embarks on 2-day visit to Sweden

The Vice President, Senator Kashim Shettima, will depart Abuja for Sweden on a 2-day visit to represent Nigeria in bilateral engagements with the Scandinavian nation. At the instance of President Bola Ahmed Tinubu, the Vice President, during the working visit, will engage in high-level bilateral talks with key government officials, including a meeting with Crown Princess Victoria of Sweden and the Swedish Prime Minister. Senator Shettima will use the visit to explore opportunities for strengthened collaboration between Nigeria and Sweden in areas such as ICT, innovation, education, digitalisation, sustainable transport, mining, and agriculture. He will also meet with key stakeholders in both the Government and Private Sector. The Vice President will also meet with Norrsken, a Stockholm-based venture capital impact investor, which recently launched Norrsken22, a USD 205 million tech investment fund for Africa. Norrsken22 is a technology growth fund, backed by over 30 prominent unicorn founders, partnering with exceptional entrepreneurs building Africa’s next tech giants. The meeting with Norrsken will provide insights into how Nigerian entrepreneurs can benefit from this fund and further strengthen the technology ecosystem in Nigeria. Notably, 40% of the investments from Norrsken22 are expected to be allocated to Nigerian technology entrepreneurs. Twelve (12) Nigerian private sector companies that are doing business with Sweden are going independently as a private sector bloc. While in Sweden, VP Shettima is also expected to articulate Nigeria’s economic vision and the reforms being undertaken by the administration to create a business-friendly environment in Nigeria for investors. The myriad of opportunities that abound in Africa’s largest economy will also be showcased. The Vice President is expected back in the country on Saturday.

Read More

NLC condemns increase in petroleum pump price 

The Nigeria Labour Congress (NLC) has condemned the increase in the price of Premium Motor Spirit (PMS) by the Nigerian National Petroleum Company Limited (NNPC Ltd).  NLC President, Comrade Joe Ajero stated this in a statement issued on Wednesday.  The statement reads; “We are dismayed by the latest increase in the pump price of petrol.  “It looks like the only thing this government is known for is increase in the pump price of petrol without commensurate capacity of Nigerians or mitigatory measures. “Even following the logic of market forces , we find it an aberration that a private company (NNPCL) is the one fixing prices and projecting itself as a hegemonic monopoly. “We challenge the government to go to the drawing board and present us with a blueprint for an inclusive economic growth and national development instead of this spasmodic ad hocism and palliative policy. “It needs no stating the fact that the latest wave of increase has grossly altered the calculations of Nigerians once again at a time they were reluctantly coming to terms with their new realities. “It will further deepen poverty as production capacities dip, more jobs lost with multidimensional negative effects. “In light of this, we urge the government to immediately reverse this rate hike as previous increases did not produce any good result. People only got poorer. “But more fundamentally, the government should be bold enough to tell Nigerians in advance the destination it wants to take the country.” The Nigerian National Petroleum Company Limited (NNPC Ltd) on Wednesday increased the price of Premium Motor Spirit (PMS), otherwise known as Petrol of fuel from N855 to N998 per litre. It was gathered that the increment has been initiated across all NNPC Ltd filling stations. The new development is a 12.7% or N113 increase from the initial price.

Read More

FG launches portal for youth access 2000 CNG tricycles

Federal Government has launched the Portal to enable youth access the 2,000 Compressed Natural Gas (CNG) tricycles to improve transportation infrastructure and foster economic growth. The Minister of State, Federal Ministry of Youth Development, Comrade Ayodele Olawande unveiled  the Porter   in collaboration with the Presidential CNG Initiative (PI-CNG) and National Commercial Tricycle and Motorcycle Owners & Riders Association (NATOMORAS) at his office in Abuja. While launching the Portal, Comrade Olawande explained that  it is dedicated to fostering transparency in the enrollment of youth into the Presidential CNG Initiative within the transportation sector.  He explained that the portal empowers youth from all regions of Nigeria to register and be connected with aggregators or owners who are directly involved in the programme.  The Minister said; “this aligns with President Bola Ahmed Tinubu’s vision for all government programmes and initiatives to provide equal opportunities to people of all backgrounds, regardless of wealth or social status.” He stressed that young individuals in the country will not require any influential connections to benefit from the Ministry of Youth Development’s programmes, adding that the launching of the Youth portal  reaffirms the commitment to ensuring that all the initiatives and programmes are equally accessible to everyone.  The Minister encouraged all young people working in the commercial transportation sector or those interested in joining the sector to take advantage of the benefits provided through the Presidential Initiative on CNG, noting that the initiative is a significant component of the President’s palliative programme. The Minister further explained that there are two ways to accessing the CNG Portal for tricycles; youthcng.ng, pci.gov.ng/tricycle. The Representative of the Presidential CNG Initiatives, Mr. Tosin Coker, in his remarks disclosed that partnering with the Ministry and NATOMORAS will create opportunities for many youths. He stated that the youth have the chance to gain employment by becoming partners with aggregators through the launched scheme. He added that they will have the option to own these tricycles if they desire.  He expressed his appreciation to the Ministry for taking the lead and to the aggregators for supporting the initiative. Earlier, the Chairman of NATOMORAS, Alhaji Sani Hassan, noted that the launch of the portal is historic for their association and its members across the country. He expressed gratitude to God for the opportunity to witness and participate in the launch of the important portal, which he said will provide opportunities for all members.  He assured the Minister of the Association ‘s full commitment to mobilize and educate their members to be actively involved in the programme and to ensure that they make the most of the opportunity.

Read More

Bobrisky: Minister vows to sanction erring Correctional Service Officers 

The Minister of Interior, Dr. Olubunmi Tunji-Ojo has assured Nigerians of the Federal Government’s commitment to holistic reform the Correctional Service.  He made this assurance at the official launch of the report on the  National Assessment of the situation of Children and Young Adults Deprived of Liberty on Tuesday in Abuja. He stated that the Nigeria Correctional Service Act of 2019 mandates that issues on juvenile deliquesce be addressed through reforms, rehabilitation, reintegration of offenders into the society.   “I’m passionate about giving inmates, especially children and young adults, a second chance, as I strongly believe that a minor action of a minor should not be a major setback for his future,” he said.  He decried the high number of correctional centres across the country as against the ratio of inmates to the population saying,  “there are certain questions we need to ask ourselves; like do we need 256 Correctional centres in Nigeria? When you do the ratio of inmates to the population, Nigeria is one of the least. We have 84,000 inmates in a country of about 200 million people, so why should we have 256 correctional centres? How many armed correctional guards do we have to secure the 256 centres? We need to ask ourselves these questions “.  The Minister said that in the Bobrisky case,  it is not going to be business as usual. “We are resolute. By next week the committee will be ready with the report. My concern is not about Bobrisky, but about my officers. If any officer is found wanting, he must face the penalty.” He reiterated that beyond a name change from prisons to corrections, the administration of President Bola Ahmed Tinubu is committed to taking all necessary measures to reform the Correctional Service into a hub for rehabilitation, reformation, and redemption.  “The correctional service cannot continue to be a point of disgrace to the Nigerian Government.We will not allow the actions of a few to destroy the integrity of the generality of the institution,” Tunji-Ojo said. Adding that, the committee will be expanded to address such issues when they arise in future. “We will expand the committee because when the crisis calls it is an opportunity for reform.” While appreciating the efforts of all contributors to the report, Tunji-Ojo assured the public that the government will carefully pay attention to all issues raised, and ensure that sustainable solutions be sought.  He further assured UNICEF of his ministry’s support in addressing issues relating to juvenile justice.  In attendance were key stakeholders and partners including officials of the Ministry of Justice, National Assembly, Prisoner’s Rehabilitation and Welfare Action (PRAWA), UNICEF, Nigerian Bar Association, British High Commission, US Embassy, European Union, NBS_Nigeria, Nigerian Police Force and National Human Rights Commission, amongst others.

Read More

FG approves airstrip for Canaanland- Bishop Oyedepo

The Federal Government has reportedly approved the contruction of an airstrip for Faith Tabernacle, Canaanland, Bishop David Oyedepo of the Living Faith Ministries has said. Oyedepo made this disclosure to members of his congregation at his church’s Tehillah Night Special Edition in Canaanland, Otta, Ogun State. Announcing the new development, the clergy said he can now move to anywhere from his church premises without having to get to the airport first. He also reminded members of the congrefation that they working in purpose with the plan of God for them following the development. The Bishop said, “I am sure you will be glad to know that Federal Government has approved an airstrip for Canaanland. “You are working in the center of God’s plan, so that I don’t need to fly an helicopter to the airport. I can leave from here to where ever I am going,” Oyedepo said.

Read More