NFF Selects Participants for First Batch of CAF B-License Coaching Course

Participants in the first batch of the CAF B-License Coaching Course that will run between April and August 2025 have been identified and contacted by the Technical Department of the Nigeria Football Federation. “Those who will take part in the first batch have been selected and contacted. All applicants are advised to check their mails, including junk and spam sections, as time-sensitive information is attached,” NFF Technical Director, Coach Augustine Eguavoen told thenff.com. The four-month course, part of NFF’s strategic effort to build the capacity of coaches across the country, will be done in modules. It will run between 7th April and 25th August 2025. Successful applicants for the second and third batches will be selected and contacted in the coming weeks. Registration for the programme closed at midnight on Tuesday, 25th February, with Eguavoen informing thenff.com that response was impressive. The program is for both men and women. It can be recalled that the NFF organized a CAF C-License course (exclusively for women, and the first-ever) between the months of July and September last year. There were 30 participants, amongst them a good number of former Nigeria international players.

Read More

Kenya Probes Goalkeeper Match-Fixing Allegation

Kenya opened a match-fixing investigation Thursday following allegations that a national team goalkeeper helped rig an Africa Cup of Nations qualifier. The Football Kenya Federation (FKF) confirmed it was aware of videos circulating online involving goalkeeper Patrick Matasi which raised concern about the possibility of match manipulation. “FKF upholds the integrity of football and has launched an official investigation, in collaboration with FIFA, CAF, and other relevant authorities,” the Kenya football board said in a statement. “We reaffirm our zero-tolerance policy on match manipulation and are committed to safeguarding the credibility of our competition.” The secretly filmed online amateur video seen by AFP shows an unnamed man talking to Matasi over a plan to fix a match in return for cash. The former AFC Leopards and Tusker goalkeeper, who also had a playing stint with Ethiopian side Coffee Sports Club, played in Kenya’s 4-1 loss to former African champions Cameroon in a 2025 AFCON qualifier in Yaounde last October. The defeat dimmed Kenya’s hopes of qualifying for the finals in Morocco, and led to the resignation of the team’s coach Engin Firat. Matasi was dropped from the team by the new coach Benni McCarthy and did not feature in the recent 2026 World Cup qualifiers against Gambia and Gabon. Kenyan football has been hit by the dark shadow of match-fixing malpractices in the recent past with 14 players and two coaches suspended by the FKF in January 2023 following a tip-off about cheating in the national league. In February 2020, FIFA banned four Kenyan-based players — one for life — over an “international conspiracy” to fix league matches. Five Kenyan referees were also later suspended over the same scandal. The Kenya Institute of Public Policy Research and Analysis, an independent think tank, warned that match-fixing had infiltrated multiple levels of Kenyan football from grassroots competitions to the professional leagues. “This has left a trail of disillusionment among fans and undermined the integrity of football and could lead to loss of public trust and confidence in the football industry,” the organization said in a January 2024 report.

Read More

CAF Launches Registration For Young Reporters Workshop In Ghana

The Confederation of African Football (CAF) has opened applications to register for the Young Reporters Workshop that will be run alongside the CAF African Schools Football Championship continental finals in Accra, Ghana from 21-26 April, 2025. CAF, in partnership with CANAL+ University, is seeking candidates under the age of 25 to take part in the workshop and develop their journalistic skills to become the future voices of football on the African continent. Participants will benefit from masterclasses held by renowned CANAL+ journalist Charles Mbuya and the chance to put their learnings into practice at the CAF African Schools Football Championship continental finals. Candidates hoping to be part of the workshop must send a covering letter motivating why they have a passion for football journalism, their resume and a text article, audio clip or video as a sample of their work to youngreporter@cafonline.com. The registration process will close on 4 April, 2025. CAF and CANAL+ INTERNATIONAL, under the banner of CANAL+ University, entered into a strategic partnership in January to develop training programmes in the field of sports journalism for young African talent. The Young Reporters Workshop has been a key development programme at the CAF African Schools Football Championship since the competition was first played in 2022. The Young Reporters Workshop is one of several development programmes that will be held at the continental finals. Other capacity-building initiatives include: CAF D License Coaching Course, CAF Safeguarding workshops, Safety and Security workshops, Young Medical Officers Programme and Young Referee Programme.

Read More

CAF Awards U20 AFCON 2025 Hosting Rights To Egypt

The Confederation African Football (CAF) has awarded the Egyptian Football Association (EFA) and Egyptian Government the rights to host the CAF Under-20 Africa Cup of Nations 2025. This is subsequent to CAF having been informed by the Fédération Ivoirienne de Football (FIF) and the Government of Côte d’Ivoire that due to unforeseen circumstances, they are unable to host the CAF Under-20 Africa Cup of Nations 2025. The Egyptian Football Association and the Egyptian Government had previously submitted a bid to host the CAF Under-20 Africa Cup of Nations 2025. The opening match of the CAF Under-20 Africa Cup of Nations 2025 will be played on Sunday, 27 April 2025 and the Final on 18 May 2025.

Read More

Zimbabwe peg back Nigeria in 2026 FIFA World Cup race

Nigeria’s hopes of reaching the 2026 FIFA World Cup finals suffered a setback on Tuesday after the Warriors of Zimbabwe scored a last-minute equalizer in their Matchday 6 encounter at the Godswill Akpabio Stadium in Uyo. The result meant the Super Eagles are still stuck in fourth place in group C, as leaders South Africa put daylight between themselves and the rest of the pack with a matured 2-0 win over Benin Republic in Abidjan, that took them to 13 points. Benin Republic’s Cheetahs and Rwanda’s Amavubi are both on eight points, one more than the Super Eagles, with four rounds of matches left, to be played over the months of September and October. Usual suspect Victor James Osimhen, playing his 40th match for the Nigeria senior team, scored to put Nigeria in front after 73 minutes, making hay from Olaoluwa Aina’s cross from the left that escaped every Zimbabwean player in the defence. With robust confidence and a positive spirit from their win over Rwanda in Kigali on Friday, Nigeria launched onslaught after onslaught particularly through the left side of the Zimbabwean defence, with Simon Moses always in good flow, but goalkeeper Washington Arubi thwarted their forays and kept his team in the game. Three minutes after Osimhen’s goal, the visitors could have scored as Khama Billiat broke from the left and the Super Eagles were only saved by the crossbar. Substitute Tawanda Chireda would eventually find the leveller on the dot of 90 minutes, as the Warriors swept past the Nigeria rearguard and he cleverly poked past goalkeeper Stanley Nwabali from close range.

Read More

W/Cup qualifier: Chelle unleashes Osimhen, Lookman on Zimbabwe

Super Eagles’ manager Eric Chelle has unleashed Victor Osimhen and Ademola Lookmon in the starting line up for today’s World Cup qualifying tie against the Brave Warriors of Zimbabwe. Stanley Nwabili retains his place in goal while Ola Aina, William Troost-Ekong, Calvin Bassey, Bright Osayi-Samuel with cover. Wilfred Ndidi, Moses Simon while Samuel Chukwueze, Alex Iwobi, Ademola Lookman, Victor Osimhen hunt for goal for the former African Champions. The substitutes are; Amas Obasogie, Kayode Bankole, Igoh Ogbu, Torunigha, Bruno Onyemaechi, Alhasan Yusuf Abdullahi, Frank Onyedika, Joe Aribo, Papa Daniel, Sodiq Sadiq, Tolu Akorodare, Victor Boniface.

Read More

NFF to give out 500 jerseys, confirms match tickets will be sold on Tuesday

The General Secretary of NFF, Dr Mohammed Sanusi, has confirmed that the first 500 persons to buy match tickets for Tuesday’s 2026 FIFA World Cup qualifying match between Nigeria and Zimbabwe at the Godswill Akpabio Stadium, Uyo will get a Super Eagles’ home jersey. “We are calling on Nigerians to come out in large numbers to support the Super Eagles on Tuesday. The team needs the support. When we played Rwanda in Kigali on Friday, the Rwandans filled up the Amahoro Stadium to its full capacity. Let our people also come out in throngs and cheer the Eagles. “We are also appealing to fans to come to the stadium in Nigerian colours. Let us fill up the stadium in green and white colours, and drum and dance to support the team.” The NFF has also confirmed that match tickets will be available for sale on match day, with the VIP tickets going for N3000 and the regular seats for the sum of N1000 each.

Read More

World Cup qualifier: Eritrean referees for Nigeria, Zimbabwe clash

World football-governing body, FIFA has appointed Eritrean official Teklu Mogos Tsegay as referee, with his compatriots as assistant referee 1, assistant referee 2 and fourth official. Ghanaian Prosper Harrison Addo will be the commissioner while Paulin Ilboudo from Burkina Faso will serve as referee assessor. Leaders South Africa, on 10 points, square up to second-placed Benin Republic, on eight points, at the Stade Félix Houphouet-Boigny in Abidjan in a match starting simultaneously with that of Uyo. Lesotho, now in fifth place following their defeat by South Africa on Friday, will tackle Rwanda’s Amavubi at Kigali’s Amahoro Stadium in the last match of group C.

Read More