Tyson Fury announces retirement from boxing

Boxing great Tyson Fury has announced his retirement from the sport following consecutive defeats to unified heavyweight champion Oleksandr Usyk. Talk of either an Usyk trilogy or a fight against Anthony Joshua surrounded the immediate future of the ‘Gypsy King’, but the 36-year-old has instead opted to retire, putting an end to an iconic career. “Hi everybody, I’m going to make this short and sweet,” said Fury in a video posted to Instagram. “I’d like to announce my retirement from boxing, it’s been a blast. I’ve loved every single minute of it. “I’m going to end with this, Dick Turpin wore a mask. God bless everybody, see you on the other side.” Fury went toe-to-toe with Usyk for the first time in Riyadh in May last year. He suffered his maiden professional defeat via split decision, a victory which granted the Ukrainian undisputed status. Fury sought revenge on his heavyweight counterpart when the pair locked horns in a rematch in December, but Usyk again emerged victorious via unanimous decision. The Englishman was frustrated by the scoring, having felt that he had done enough to win the rematch, saying Usyk received a “bit of a Christmas gift from the judges”. And when pushed to reveal future plans following the Saudi Arabia showdown, Fury was non-committal. “I’m having some time off,” he said. “I might do, I might not. Who knows? We’ll talk about that next year.” The back-to-back defeats saw speculation mount over Fury’s next move, with a fight against fellow Briton Joshua hotly tipped for 2025. Speaking at The Ring Magazine Awards last week, Joshua himself encouraged the bout, saying: “It has to happen this year.” Fury initially announced he would retire in 2022 following victory over Dillian Whyte, but U-turned on the decision, returning to action to defeat Derek Chisora in December that year. He then went on to defeat Francis Ngannou via split decision in October 2023, before taking on the Usyk double-header the following year. Fury’s retirement brings an end to a glittering career in the ring, which saw him claim WBA, IBF, WBO, and IBO heavyweight titles after ending Wladimir Klitschko’s long-standing dominance in the heavyweight division with victory over the Ukrainian in 2015. He would soon go on to vacate the titles as he temporarily stepped away from the sport – and he returned to the ring in 2018 with victory over Sefer Seferi. Among his iconic fights, an epic trilogy with Deontay Wilder stands out. The pair fought out a thrilling draw in 2018, before Fury went on to claim back-to-back knockout victories over the American in 2020 and 2021. Fury retired with an imperious record of 34 victories to just two defeats, both coming against Usyk. The Englishman retires having never suffered defeat via knockout.

Read More

Anthony Joshua presents autographed glove to Tinubu

Two-time heavyweight champion Anthony Joshua on Wednesday paid a courtesy visit to President Bola Ahmed Tinubu at his residence in Lagos. The British-born Nigerian pugilist, who had on Monday visited the Ogun State Governor Prince Dapo Abiodun, this time took an autographed glove to Mr. President. “I just had the honour of hosting our very own Anthony Joshua, a true champion and worthy ambassador of Nigeria. “Anthony Joshua’s dedication and achievements continue to inspire millions daily. Thank you for the autographed glove—it is a symbol of perseverance and excellence. A symbol of what Nigerians are known for. “We are Nigeria. Proudly Nigerian,” the President wrote on his X handle.

Read More

Ogun to build Anthony Joshua Indoor Boxing Centre

The Ogun State Governor Prince Dapo Abiodun has revealed plans to build an ultra modern boxing centre in honour of boxing heavyweight and son of the State, Anthony Joshua. Prince Abiodun disclosed via his X handle on Tuesday. The Governor wrote; “We are thrilled to announce our administration’s plans to construct a state-of-the-art Anthony Joshua Indoor Boxing Ring in Abeokuta, a testament to our commitment to promoting sports development in Ogun State. “During a visit to our office by two-time world heavyweight boxing champion Anthony Joshua, we proudly confirmed him as our official sports ambassador. We also invited him to light the Gateway Games National Sports Festival torch, now scheduled for May next year. “This initiative goes hand in hand with our extensive efforts to refurbish and reconstruct sporting facilities across the state in preparation for hosting the festival. Sports, being a unifying force, will not only inspire our youth but also spotlight Ogun State as a hub for talent and excellence. “We have urged Anthony Joshua to collaborate with our Director General of the National Sports Commission and the Commissioner for Sports Development to organize boxing tournaments leading up to the festival. His involvement will motivate aspiring athletes and contribute significantly to the growth of sports in Ogun State. “Anthony Joshua’s achievements on the global stage bring pride to Ogun State, and we are committed to supporting him while celebrating the immense talents that put our state on the world map. “Together, we are building a legacy of excellence in sports.”

Read More

Anthony Joshua visits Ogun State Governor

British-born Nigerian heavyweight boxer, Anthony Joshua has paid courtesy visit to the Ogun State Governor Prince Dapo Abiodun. Joshua, an indigene of Ogun State is currently in Nigeria on holidays. In a video posted on X formerly Twitter, Joshua prostrated for the Ogun State helmsman, while both men exchanged pleasantries. “Today, we had the distinct honour of welcoming Anthony Joshua, the world-acclaimed boxing champion and a proud son of Ogun State, to our office during his courtesy visit. “Anthony Joshua’s remarkable achievements in the world of boxing continue to inspire not only the people of Ogun State but also millions across the globe. His dedication, discipline, and unwavering commitment to excellence are values we hold dear as a state. “This visit is a testament to the bond we share as a people and our collective pride in the success stories that emerge from Ogun State. We remain committed to supporting our talents and creating an environment that nurtures greatness in all spheres of life. “Together, we celebrate Anthony Joshua’s accomplishments and look forward to more victories as he continues to make Ogun State proud,” Governor Abiodun posted on his X handle. Meanwhile, Matchroom Boxing head Eddie Hearn has revealed the boxer will fight twice in the coming year. Joshua’s last fight came in September when he faced rising prospect Daniel Dubois in a bid to become a three-time world heavyweight champion. The 35-year-old entered the clash off the back of four impressive victories, including a vicious second-round KO of former UFC heavyweight king Francis Ngannou in March. Ultimately though Dubois would hand AJ the fourth defeat of his professional career by stopping Joshua in the fifth round and defending his IBF title in the process. Joshua had been expected to rematch Dubois in early 2025 before he was convinced to recover from injuries and seek a return later in the year. Instead, Dubois will defend his title against perennial contender Joseph Parker in February on the undercard of the undisputed light heavyweight rematch between Dmitry Bivol and Artur Beterbiev. Asked when fans can expect AJ’s return to the ring, Hearn revealed plans are tentatively in place. ‘In May or June,’ Hearn told iFL TV. ‘He’s not in full training yet. He’s probably ready to resume training in January.’ After Tyson Fury was defeated by Oleksandr Usyk for a second time earlier this month, Hearn championed the idea of a long-awaited showdown between the Gypsy King and Joshua. While he again hinted that the all-British showdown could finally take place in 2025, Hearn insisted that they would not rush into any future plans. He continued: ‘At the moment, you’ve got the Dubois fight on February 22nd. ‘And you’ve got to see what Fury wants to do. We’re not in a terrible rush. AJ will fight twice in 2025. Once in the summer and once in the winter. ‘If we can’t make the Dubois fight and if Fury doesn’t want to fight, then you have to make the decision to fight somebody, or do you wait for those fights? ‘I can’t speak on behalf of AJ, for who he’s prepared to fight. But what I know is the focus is Daniel Dubois or Tyson Fury. ‘Of course, Joshua’s done it all. If he gets Fury on his resume, he’s boxed virtually everybody of his era.’

Read More

Anthony Joshua splashes £150m on property 

Anthony Joshua’s huge property spending has been revealed as the heavyweight boxing superstar continues to invest in London’s real estate, according to reports. The 34-year-old has maintained a low-profile since being brutally knocked out by Daniel Dubois in a shock defeat, but away from the sport is an active property developer. Huge investment in boxing largely bankrolled by Saudi Arabia’s interest in the sport has led to fighters such as Joshua lining their pockets with overwhelming riches and the Englishman is being smart with his cash. Joshua has become known as ‘The Landlord’ in his inner circle due to his growing property portfolio that was boosted by the addition of a £30million spend on a huge commercial venture last year. Now it has been revealed that Joshua has spent a total of £150m in just the last 18 months on building his real estate stock, as reported by The Sun. The British household name appears to be securing his future beyond his boxing career and has ambitions to continue throwing his weight around in the industry as he targets new revenue streams. A pal of AJ’s told the publication that he ‘wants to buy up the board’ when referencing the boxer’s fascination for Monopoly and ‘is inundated with investment opportunities but he doesn’t rush into anything.’ Joshua is believed to boast a net worth in excess of £100m after more than decade of multi-million fights and sponsorship deals and the position he finds himself in is impressive given where he started. Along with his real estate investment, the former two-time heavyweight world champion also boasts a garage worth around £1m that includes a £150,000 Range Rover SVO – which was custom made with his name inscribed in the tread plates – and a £93,000 white Jaguar XJR.  He also forked out £600,000 on a luxurious Rolls Royce Phantom stretch, a £146,000 Mercedes v8 BiTurbo and a relatively ‘modest’ Audi A3 S-Line. AJ is also a shrewd investor in start-up projects, donates to charitable organisations, is attempting to build his own promotion company and is a key part of the celebrity team that became stakeholders in F1 team Alpine.  Joshua could add further millions to his profile if a rematch is agreed with Dubois after the knockout defeat against his younger opponent last month. Promoter Eddie Hearn revealed earlier in the week that Joshua is keen to get back in the ring as a matter of urgency, stating: ‘My initial thought after the fight was, ‘Let’s just chill out, maybe wait for the result of Fury-Usyk’. ‘AJ’s reaction was quite a bit different. He is leaning towards the rematch.’

Read More

Anthony Joshua desperately want Dubois rematch 

Anthony Joshua still wants an immediate rematch with Daniel Dubois. Dubois smashed Joshua into defeat with a stunning fifth-round knockout in their IBF world heavyweight title fight at Wembley Stadium last month. It was an astonishing upset that demolished the hopes of Joshua fighting the winner of the Oleksandr Usyk-Tyson Fury rematch for the undisputed heavyweight world championship in 2025. But rather than wait to finally take on his great rival Fury, former champion Joshua could choose to face Dubois once again in his next fight, as soon as February. Joshua’s promoter Eddie Hearn told Sky Sports: “My initial thought after the fight was let’s just chill out, maybe wait for Fury-Usyk. “AJ’s reaction was quite a bit different. Obviously out of pride you always want to take the rematch. But it’s a little bit more calculated than that. “It’s more like, well, what happens if Usyk-Fury doesn’t happen? What if someone gets injured, and even if it does happen they’re not going to fight again until July, August? Then I’m out the ring for nearly a year and I want to be active.” Joshua could always fight someone outside of that top three of Usyk, Fury and Dubois, with heavyweights like Deontay Wilder or Dillian Whyte under consideration. But Hearn explained Joshua’s current thinking, saying: “I want to win the world heavyweight title, and I’ve got a shot there to win the world heavyweight title in my hand. “Obviously it’s a dangerous fight but I can’t box any worse than I did.” The promoter added that he “would expect the fighter to say I want the instant rematch” but Hearn insisted: “When you start actually thinking about it, I don’t think there’s a bad decision to make. “I know that he is leaning towards the rematch because he wants to win the world heavyweight title. Versus fighting Wilder, waiting for Fury and then you’ve got all next year bubbling around not really fighting for the world heavyweight title.” Joshua isn’t expected to have many more fights in his whole career. “It could be one, it could be five. If he beats Dubois, probably another two or three. If he loses to Dubois, he’s in a real tough position,” Hearn said. “People keep saying the Fury fight’s still there. But if they both keep losing? It will always be there but at the same time, at what value? That depends on how they do.” But Joshua is still likely to take that gamble. “If it’s solely down to AJ, which it will be at the end of the day,” Hearn said, “I think it’s going to be very hard to talk him out of taking the rematch.”

Read More

British boxing board suspends Anthony Joshua

Anthony Joshua’s suspension by the British Boxing Board of Control until October 19 is due to his knockout defeat against Daniel Dubois. The former heavyweight champion is placed on a standard practice suspension of between 28 and 45 days, as any boxer is once they suffered such a loss. In Joshua’s case, the BBBofC opted for the 28-day minimum suspension. BBBofC rule 5.8 section C states, “Any contest [wheresoever it takes place] being stopped by the Referee [other than by reason of disqualification], or the retirement of a Boxer, or by a Boxer being counted out in a contest; then the license of such Boxer shall be automatically suspended for a period of 28 or 45 clear days or more at the discretion of the Board’s Senior Medical Officer present at the tournament. “At the completion of the period of suspension, no Boxer shall return to the ring until he has been certified fit to box by a doctor who may be appointed by the Board or at their discretion by an Area Council. “Written certificates of fitness to box again must be received at the Registered offices of the Company at least 24 hours prior to the Boxer’s next contest.” Joshua will be free to return to action as soon as possible. However, AJ is not expected to fight again until at least spring 2025. Joshua could battle Tyson Fury or opt for a rematch with Dubois on Pay Per View, and his team could be changed following a bad defeat. The 2012 Olympic champion was dropped four times by Dubois and taken out in five painful rounds in the fourth loss of his career and the second via stoppage. Andy Ruiz Jr. did similarly to Dubois in 2019, as Joshua tumbled down the heavyweight rankings and found himself out of the top five for the first time since 2016.

Read More

Anthony Joshua plans to activate rematch clause against Dubois 

Eddie Hearn has revealed the identity of Anthony Joshua’s next opponent in the wake of his shock knockout by Daniel Dubois. Joshua was knocked out in the fifth round at Wembley in front of 96,000 fans at Wembley by the 27-year-old Brit. Dubois retained his IBF heavyweight title with an impressive victory, knocking down his challenger four times. Despite the disappointing outcome on Saturday and suggestions in some quarters that he should retire, Joshua is already looking ahead to his next fight. After the fight Hearn was asked about what the next steps are for Joshua, 34.  Hearn disclosed that there is a rematch clause for Joshua to face Dubois again and added that it is likely to be activated.  Speaking to DAZN, Hearn said: ‘I’m sure he’ll exercise that rematch clause, I think that’s a given. He’ll need a rest and it’s a dangerous fight. This guy’s growing in confidence all the time.  ‘He’ll believe he can hurt Dubois. He’ll believe he can beat him, but full credit to Daniel Dubois, he deserves all the credit tonight. It was a great performance from Daniel.’  Following his defeat, Joshua admitted that he wanted to ‘kick off’ in the ring. He said: ‘Credit to him and his team. We rolled the dice of success, but we came up short. ‘You know I’m ready to kick off in the ring, but I’m going to keep my cool, keep very professional, and give respect to my opponent. ‘I’m always saying to myself I’m a fighter for life… We keep rolling the dice. ‘I had a sharp opponent, a fast opponent and a lot of mistakes from my end, but that’s the game.’

Read More