Parents Of Niger Schoolchildren Abducted From St. Mary Protest Government Inaction
Parents of children abducted from St. Mary Catholic Schools in Papiri, Agwarra LGA of Niger State, protested on Saturday, accusing the state government of inaction eight days after the attack. More than 200 parents gathered at the school to register their names and those of their missing children, many travelling long distances on motorcycles to participate.
The school was attacked on 21 November, when gunmen kidnapped over 300 pupils and 12 teachers, days after 26 schoolgirls were abducted in another part of the state. About 50 students escaped after two days, but most remain in captivity.
Despite assurances that special security teams had been deployed, parents said no state officials had contacted them. They carried placards reading “Bring Back Our Girls,” “Is Education a Crime?” and “Our Children Are Still in Captivity,” accusing the government of silence and neglect.
Stephen Okafor, the school’s Director of Communication, said the registration exercise was ordered by the state government and noted that the turnout shows the abduction is real. Cleric Linus Arege added that 215 parents and guardians had been documented under the supervision of Agwarra Local Government officials and the Catholic Diocese.
Joseph Dimas, whose son Julius, a JSS 2 student, is still missing, criticised the government for initially denying the abduction. Emmanuel Ejeh, whose older children graduated from the school without incident, said he never expected such an attack.
Bishop Bulus Yohanna of the Kontagora Diocese, proprietor of the school, appealed for prayers and expressed hope that the abducted students and staff would be rescued soon, noting the challenge of mobilising parents from more than 50 communities. Principal Felicia Gyam dismissed claims of prior warnings, and Headmistress Blessing Amodu described the ordeal as emotionally draining, urging authorities to step up rescue efforts.
Attempts to reach the Niger State Government were unsuccessful, as messages sent to the Governor’s Chief Press Secretary, Bologi Ibrahim, had not been answered.
