Labour Party Rules Out Automatic Tickets, Says Peter Obi Must Compete In 2027 Primaries

The Labour Party has declared that no aspirant will receive an automatic ticket for the 2027 general elections, saying even former presidential candidate Peter Obi must participate in competitive primaries if he decides to return to the party. Obiora Ifoh, the party’s National Publicity Secretary, made the statement in an interview with The Punch, amid growing uncertainty over Obi’s political plans and tensions between him and the Julius Abure-led LP leadership. Ifoh emphasized that the party is open to reconciliation with Obi and other aggrieved members but insisted that its democratic processes will not be compromised. “We have answered this question several times. The Labour Party has consistently said that tickets will be determined at the party’s convention. The NEC has made its position clear regarding our presidential candidacy. Every candidate must emerge through a democratically convened convention. There is no automatic ticket for anyone, whether presidential, governorship, or chairmanship aspirants,” he said. He also noted that Obi has largely kept his distance from the party leadership over the past year. “Obi’s position in the Labour Party can only be answered by him. Nobody can speak for him. Whether he is in the ADC or Labour Party, he is the only one who can answer that. Over the last year, he has not really engaged with the current leadership, and we take it as it is. Many others have also not been actively involved,” Ifoh added. Addressing why the recent NEC meeting did not tackle the Obi issue, Ifoh explained that it focused on launching congresses and primaries. “The NEC meeting was dedicated to starting our congresses, which we have conducted successfully. Did you see some of our viral videos and pictures? In Abia State, there was a court injunction, which we respected. Primaries in Ekiti State have been completed, and similar exercises will soon follow in Osun. INEC has been working with us, monitoring the process and providing key codes to upload our candidates. Everything is progressing well, and we are confident of achieving our objectives by 2027,” he said.

Read More

All Taxable Nigerians Must Have TIN To Operate Bank Accounts From January 2026, Says FG

The federal government has announced that all taxable Nigerians will be required to have a Tax Identification Number (TIN) to operate bank accounts, as part of new tax reforms set to take effect on January 1, 2026. Taiwo Oyedele, chairman of the Presidential Committee on Fiscal Policy and Tax Reforms, shared the update in a post on his X account on Thursday. He explained that Section 4 of the Nigerian Tax Administration Act (NTAA), which comes into force in 2026, mandates that all taxable persons must register for a tax ID. However, Oyedele clarified that students and dependents are exempt from this requirement. He also noted that while the policy has been in place since the Finance Act of 2020, the NTAA now provides a legal framework for its full implementation. Individuals and businesses that already have TINs will not need to obtain a new one. “Yes, but with some exemptions. A section of the NTAA requires a taxable person to register and obtain a tax ID. A taxable person is anyone who earns income through trade, business, or any economic activity. Banks must therefore request a tax ID from taxable persons. Individuals who do not earn income, such as students and dependents, do not need a tax ID. Any taxable entity without a tax ID may face challenges operating their bank account in the near future,” Oyedele stated.

Read More
Petrol Price Hits ₦945/Litre at NNPC Stations Amid Soaring Global Oil Prices Petrol Price Hits ₦945/Litre at NNPC Stations Amid Soaring Global Oil Prices

Dangote Refinery Cuts Petrol Price To N699 Per Litre, Slashing N129 From Benchmark

The Dangote Petroleum Refinery has reduced its petrol gantry price again, bringing the ex-depot rate down from N828 to N699 per litre. Data from Petroleumprice.ng on Friday showed that the refinery cut the Premium Motor Spirit benchmark by N129 per litre, a 15.58 per cent reduction. An anonymous refinery official confirmed the move to PUNCH Online, saying, “The refinery has reduced petrol gantry price to N699 per litre.” The new rate, effective December 11, 2025, marks the 20th petrol price adjustment by the refinery this year. The reduction comes shortly after Chairman Aliko Dangote reaffirmed his commitment to keeping domestic fuel prices “reasonable and competitive,” despite global price fluctuations and ongoing smuggling along Nigeria’s borders. Dangote, speaking after a closed-door meeting with President Bola Tinubu on December 6, explained that the price drop is part of efforts to compete with imported fuel. He noted that while smuggling has lessened, it remains an issue because Nigerian fuel costs about 55 per cent less than in neighboring countries. He added that petroleum products would continue to be sold at fair prices, stressing that the $20 billion refinery is a long-term investment. Following the Dangote refinery’s adjustment, several private depots also lowered their prices. Sigmund Depot reduced its ex-depot price by N4 to N824 per litre, Bulk Strategic cut N3, and TechnoOil implemented a N15 drop. Other depots, including A.A. Rano, NIPCO, and Aiteo, made slight reductions in response to the new pricing benchmark.

Read More

Supreme Court Restores Death Sentence For Maryam Sanda After Overriding Tinubu’s Pardon

The Supreme Court has voided the presidential pardon earlier granted to Abuja housewife Maryam Sanda, restoring the death sentence she received in 2020 for k!lling her husband, Bilyaminu Bello, during a domestic dispute. President Bola Tinubu had previously commuted her sentence to 12 years’ imprisonment on compassionate grounds. But in a split 4–1 ruling delivered on Friday, the Supreme Court reinstated the original death verdict, agreeing with the Court of Appeal and the FCT High Court, which both upheld the conviction. The court dismissed Sanda’s appeal in its entirety, ruling that all issues she raised lacked merit. Delivering the lead judgment, Justice Moore Adumein held that prosecutors had proved the case beyond reasonable doubt, and faulted the Executive for attempting to grant a pardon while the matter was still under appeal.

Read More

Primate Elijah Ayodele Denies Attempting to Extort Minister Bayo Adelabu

Primate Elijah Ayodele, leader of INRI Evangelical Spiritual Church, on Friday denied allegations by Minister of Power Bayo Adelabu that he tried to extort N150 million from him. Adelabu had reportedly petitioned the Department of State Services (DSS), claiming that Ayodele asked him to buy about 1,000 trumpets costing up to N150 million. The minister also alleged that when he refused, Ayodele prophesied that he would not become governor of Oyo State. In a statement released through his media aide, Osho Oluwatosin, Ayodele said he never demanded money from Adelabu. He explained that the request for the trumpets was meant for Adelabu’s spiritual benefit, and that it was the minister who asked about the cost. Ayodele said he only suggested that someone from Adelabu’s team verify the prices at the market. He added that Adelabu, along with his personal assistant and another associate, applied pressure because of his strong ambition to secure the governorship ticket in Oyo State. “I didn’t ask Bayo Adelabu for money. I only told him to send someone to check the price of the trumpets while someone from my side confirms it. He, his assistant, and the person he sent pressured me because of his desperation for the governorship,” Ayodele said. Ayodele said he informed Adelabu that the party would not grant him the governorship ticket but suggested he could seek God’s mercy by buying the musical instruments—not for the church, but for spiritual purposes. Adelabu reportedly refused. “I told him they wouldn’t give him the governorship ticket, but if he wanted it, he could seek God’s mercy by buying the instruments for God, not for my church. He said he couldn’t do it, and that was the end of it,” Ayodele explained. The cleric added that he had long spoken publicly about Adelabu’s ambition and maintained that divine intervention would be necessary for him to become governor. He stressed that his subsequent prophecies were unrelated to the musical instruments. “I have said for years that he won’t become governor. That is why he came to me. I never spoke to him before he sent people to request spiritual help. I do not make prophecies for money, and my statements after our discussion are not because he refused to buy the trumpets,” Ayodele said.

Read More

EFCC Bail Denied for Chris Ngige, Former Minister Remanded in Kuje Prison

A Federal Capital Territory High Court sitting in Gwarimpa, Abuja, on Friday rejected an oral bail application for former Minister of Labour, Dr. Chris Nwabueze Ngige, and ordered his remand at Kuje Prison until December 15. Ngige, a former governor of Anambra State, was arraigned the same day by the Economic and Financial Crimes Commission (EFCC) on an eight-count charge of corrupt practices. He pleaded not guilty to all the allegations. His lawyer, Senior Advocate of Nigeria Patrick Ikwueto, attempted to argue a formal bail application, but EFCC counsel, Sylvanus Tahir, SAN, opposed it, saying he had only just been served and needed time to respond. Justice Maryam Aliyu Hassan also turned down an oral application for bail, directing that the formal application be heard on Monday, December 15, while Ngige remains in custody. The charges, filed under case number FCT/HC/CR/726/2025, allege that Ngige committed offences while serving as Minister of Labour between September 2015 and May 2023. The eight counts include: Count 1: Awarding seven contracts worth 366,470,920.68 naira to Cezimo Nigeria Limited. Count 2: Granting eight contracts totaling 583,682,686.00 naira to Zitacom Nigeria Limited. Count 3: Conferring eight contracts valued at 362,043,163.16 naira to Jeff & Xris Limited. Count 4: Awarding four contracts worth 668,138,141.00 naira to Olde English Consolidated Limited. Count 5: Granting four contracts totaling 161,604,625.00 naira to Shale Atlantic Intercontinental Services Limited. The first five counts are alleged violations of Section 19 of the Corrupt Practices and Other Related Offences Act, 2000. Counts six to eight accuse Ngige of corruptly accepting gifts: Count 6: 38,650,000 naira from Cezimo Nigeria Limited via his campaign organisation. Count 7: 55,003,000 naira from Zitacom Nigeria Limited through his scholarship scheme. Count 8: 26,130,000 naira from Jeff & Xris Limited via the same scholarship scheme. These counts allegedly contravene Sections 17(a) and 17(c) of the Corrupt Practices and Other Related Offences Act, 2000. Ngige will remain in EFCC custody pending the hearing of his formal bail application on December 15.

Read More

Julius Malema Praises Nigeria’s Culture and Cuisine, Says He’d Choose Jollof Rice Over U.S. Visit

South African politician Julius Malema has stirred online attention with his latest remarks celebrating Nigeria’s culture and cuisine. In a humorous comment, Malema said that if the United States denied him entry, he would happily visit Nigeria instead, adding, “I’ll go to Nigeria where they’ll feed me jollof rice and pepper soup.” The statement has been widely praised on social media, with many seeing it as a call to embrace African pride and appreciate the continent’s rich resources. Malema’s lighthearted approach to diplomacy has earned him admiration online, with netizens applauding his confidence and appreciation for African culture.

Read More

EFCC Arraigns Chris Ngige Over Alleged Contract Fraud, Ex-Minister Pleads Not Guilty

Former Labour Minister Chris Ngige was arraigned on Friday by the Economic and Financial Crimes Commission (EFCC) over alleged contract fraud. Ngige, who also served as governor of Anambra State, faced an eight-count charge before a Federal Capital Territory High Court in Gwarimpa. He pleaded not guilty to all the charges. The EFCC’s charge, dated October 31, claims that Ngige used his positions in government to grant undue advantages by awarding multiple contracts to associates and companies linked to him. Ngige was governor of Anambra State from 2003 to 2006 and held the position of Minister of Labour and Productivity from 2015 to 2023. On December 11, his media aide, Fred Chukwuelobe, confirmed that Ngige remained in EFCC custody, dispelling rumours that the ex-governor had been kidnapped.

Read More