NMDPRA Boss Farouk Ahmed Denies Issuing Response To Dangote’s Allegations

Farouk Ahmed, CEO of the Nigerian Midstream and Downstream Petroleum Regulatory Authority (NMDPRA), has denied issuing a statement circulating under his name in response to allegations made by Aliko Dangote, president and CEO of Dangote Industries Limited. In a disclaimer released on Wednesday, Ahmed said the statement did not originate from him. He acknowledged being aware of the allegations and the public reaction but emphasized that he had chosen not to respond publicly. “My attention has been drawn to a purported response I was said to have made on the recent allegations against my person. I hereby state categorically that the so-called statement did not emanate from me,” he said. Ahmed described the claims against him and his family as “wild and spurious” but said he would not engage in public disputes. “Thankfully, the person behind the allegations has taken it to a formal investigative institution. I believe that would provide an opportunity to dispassionately distill the issues and to clear my name,” he added. Dangote had accused Ahmed of economic sabotage and alleged that NMDPRA leadership was frustrating domestic refining by issuing import licences for petroleum products.

Read More

Four Injured As Airplane Crashes At Owerri Airport

Four people are receiving medical care after a Skypower Express plane crashed at Sam Mbakwe International Cargo Airport in Owerri, Imo State. The aircraft, a Cessna 172 registered as 5N-ASR, reportedly somersaulted on the runway. According to the Nigerian Safety Investigation Bureau (NSIB), the plane had taken off from Kaduna International Airport heading to Port Harcourt International Airport when the crew declared an emergency mid-flight and diverted to Owerri. NSIB Director of Public Affairs and Family Assistance, Mrs. Bimbo Oladeji, confirmed that all four occupants survived the crash. She said airport emergency teams responded promptly, no post-crash fire occurred, and flight operations at the airport continued normally. Efforts are ongoing to remove the damaged plane from the runway to allow a full assessment of the wreckage. NSIB Director-General, Captain Alex Badeh Jr., said the agency has begun its investigation and is coordinating with relevant authorities. He expressed relief that there were no fatalities and promised updates as the inquiry progresses.

Read More

DSS Detains Osun Cleric After Pro-Palestine Demonstration

The Department of State Services (DSS) has arrested Daood Imran Molaasan, an Islamic cleric from Osun State, after a pro-Palestine protest in the area. Molaasan, leader of the Ta’awunu Muslimeen group, was reportedly taken into custody following the circulation of a video showing him and his followers calling for the liberation of Palestine, which they described as under Israeli occupation. The video showed members of the group marching through Iwo while carrying the Palestinian flag. It quickly went viral on social media, drawing a mix of reactions, with some expressing support for the Palestinian cause and others raising security concerns. Ta’awunu Muslimeen, an Islamic movement focused on religious teachings and global Muslim issues, has previously held similar demonstrations, including a rally in 2018. During the recent march, participants pledged allegiance to the Qur’an and Sunnah. Some aspects of the protest, including coordinated arm gestures, were criticised by observers who likened them to Nazi-style salutes, while the presence of children chanting strong religious slogans heightened concerns. The DSS has yet to release an official statement or confirm any charges against Molaasan.

Read More

Tinubu Meets NLC Leaders In Last-Minute Move To Stop Nationwide Protest

President Bola Tinubu met behind closed doors with the leadership of the Nigeria Labour Congress on Tuesday night in a bid to halt the nationwide protest scheduled to begin today. The meeting, held at the State House in Abuja, was led on the labour side by NLC President Joe Ajaero. After the talks, Ajaero avoided giving a definite answer on whether the protest would still take place, saying the decision would be taken collectively by the union. “If I’m insisting, I’m not insisting. I will communicate to you. It is not an organisation that one person rules. Let’s go back now. You have a meeting of labour and the governor’s forum. We’ll go back to the drawing board and digest all that Mr President said to us, and move forward from there.” He added that the NLC leadership would reconvene early on Wednesday to review the outcome of the engagement with the President. “We came for consultation with the president, and we are finished. So, we have to go back to our meeting and then continue tomorrow. By tomorrow, we will get the outcome.” The labour union is expected to announce later on Wednesday whether it will proceed with the planned protest. The meeting was also attended by the Chairman of the APC Governors’ Forum, Hope Uzodimma, Edo State Governor Monday Okpebholo, Kebbi State Governor Nasir Idris, and the Minister of State for Labour, Nkeiruka Onyejeocha.

Read More

US Adds Nigeria To Partial Travel Restriction List As Trump Expands Entry Controls

President Donald Trump has approved a new Proclamation expanding US travel restrictions, with citizens of 15 additional countries now subject to partial entry limitations as part of stricter security measures. The decision, taken on Tuesday, is aimed at reinforcing travel screening and national security standards. The countries newly placed under partial restrictions are Angola, Antigua and Barbuda, Benin, Côte d’Ivoire, Dominica, Gabon, The Gambia, Malawi, Mauritania, Nigeria, Senegal, Tanzania, Tonga, Zambia and Zimbabwe. The Proclamation retains full travel restrictions on 12 countries earlier identified as high risk. These are Afghanistan, Burma, Chad, the Republic of the Congo, Equatorial Guinea, Eritrea, Haiti, Iran, Libya, Somalia, Sudan and Yemen. In addition, five more countries have been moved into the full restriction category following updated security assessments. They are Burkina Faso, Mali, Niger, South Sudan and Syria, along with individuals travelling on documents issued by the Palestinian Authority. Laos and Sierra Leone, previously under partial limits, have also been upgraded to full restrictions, while partial measures remain in effect for Burundi, Cuba, Togo and Venezuela. The order removes non-immigrant visa restrictions on Turkmenistan, with US authorities citing improved cooperation with Washington, although immigrant visa limits for its citizens remain unchanged. Exemptions under the Proclamation apply to lawful permanent residents, existing visa holders, certain visa categories including diplomats and athletes, and individuals whose entry is considered to be in the national interest of the United States.

Read More

Alaafin Of Oyo To Confer Okanlomo Title On Seyi Tinubu And Obaloyin Title On Yari

His Imperial Majesty, Oba Abimbola Akeem Owoade I, the Alaafin of Oyo, is set to install Barrister Oluwaseyi Abiodun Tinubu as the Okanlomo of Yorubaland on Sunday, December 21, 2025. Seyi Tinubu, the son of President Bola Ahmed Tinubu, will be honoured alongside Senator Abdulaziz Abubakar Yari, who will receive the title of Obaloyin of Yorubaland during the same ceremony. The event, hosted at the Alaafin’s Palace in Oyo, is expected to attract traditional rulers, political leaders, cultural stakeholders, and dignitaries from across Yorubaland and beyond, reflecting the significance of the titles and the stature of the honourees. Palace sources said the installation demonstrates the Alaafin’s commitment to recognising individuals who have made notable contributions to societal development while promoting Yoruba culture, values, and unity.

Read More

Federal University Lokoja Names Professor Gbenga Ibileye As New Vice-Chancellor

The Federal University, Lokoja, has named Professor Gbenga Ibileye as its fourth substantive Vice-Chancellor. The appointment was confirmed on Tuesday by Pro-Chancellor and Governing Council Chairman, Professor Zubairu Abdullahi, who said, “Professor Ibileye emerged tops, first out of the best three candidates.” Professor Ibileye will succeed Professor Olayemi Akinwumi, whose five-year term concludes in February 2026. Born on June 7, 1966, in Kogi State, Professor Ibileye is a distinguished academic with extensive leadership experience. He earned his PhD in English Language from Ahmadu Bello University in 2002 and has served as Professor and Provost of the College of Postgraduate Studies at the university since 2012. He has also held several key administrative roles, including Acting Vice-Chancellor, Chairman of the Strategic Planning Committee, and Pioneer Director of General Studies. His research interests cover Discourse Analysis, Pragmatics, Legal and Forensic Linguistics, and Applied Linguistics, with a focus on Political Discourse, Media Analysis, Constitutional Language, and Communication in Leadership. He has authored multiple publications, including Current Trends in Discourse Analysis and the English Teacher’s Guide Series 1–6. Professor Ibileye’s contributions have earned him numerous accolades, including the Distinguished Pragmatician Award (2025), Noble Prize for Education (2024), and Hall of Fame Induction (2023).

Read More

Governor Bago Sacks 30 Special Advisers To Restructure Niger State Administration

Niger State Governor Mohammed Bago has relieved 30 special advisers of their appointments as part of efforts to restructure and streamline governance in the state. The announcement was made on Tuesday by the Governor’s Chief Press Secretary, Bologi Ibrahim, who explained that the decision is intended to enhance efficiency and effectiveness under the governor’s New Niger agenda. Although details on new appointments or reassignments were not disclosed, the move is part of a broader plan to reorganize key portfolios for better service delivery. Governor Bago reportedly made the announcement during his first Council meeting with newly sworn-in commissioners at the council chamber in Government House, Minna. Bologi noted, “The termination of their appointments was to allow the governor to rejig and reposition their portfolios with a view to making them more effective and efficient in line with his New Niger agenda.” He added that the governor thanked the advisers for their contributions to the administration’s progress and wished them success in their future endeavors.

Read More