Aliko Dangote Becomes First African To Reach $30 Billion Net Worth

Dangote Issues Seven-Day Ultimatum To Kaduna Businessman Over Alleged Libel

President of Dangote Group, Dr Aliko Dangote, has issued a seven-day ultimatum to Kaduna-based businessman Kailani Mohammed to retract statements he described as libellous, warning that failure to comply would prompt a N100 billion lawsuit. The directive was conveyed in a letter delivered by Dangote’s lawyer, Senior Advocate of Nigeria Dr Ogwu James Onoja of Onoja Law Firm, Abuja. Dangote demanded a public explanation, full retraction, and an unreserved apology after Mohammed accused him of engaging in “unclean business” in Port Harcourt, Rivers State, during the 1980s. The letter, dated December 20, 2025, stated that Mohammed’s remarks had defamed Dangote, tarnished his reputation, and questioned the legitimacy of his wealth as Africa’s richest man. Mohammed reportedly made the comments during a TrustTV news interview on December 17, 2025, in response to a petition he submitted against Dr Farouk Ahmed to the Independent Corrupt Practices and Other Related Offences Commission (ICPC). The letter, titled “Demand for public explanation, retraction and unreserved public apology on your libellous publication against Alhaji Aliko Dangote, GCON,” was signed by Dr Ogwu James Onoja, SAN, and serves as formal notice of potential legal action should Mohammed fail to comply within the stipulated seven-day period.

Read More

Nicki Minaj Explains Why She Spoke Out About Persecution Of Christians In Nigeria

Nicki Minaj has explained why she chose to speak out about the reported persecution of Christians in Nigeria, citing her personal ties to the country and reports of violence against worshippers. The rapper addressed the issue during a surprise appearance at AmericaFest on Sunday, responding to a question from Erika Kirk, widow of Charlie Kirk. When asked what inspired her to speak up, Minaj pointed to her connection to Nigeria and concerns over attacks on religious communities. “Nigeria is a place I’ve always loved. Someone very dear to me, my pastor, is Nigerian, and I have lots of Nigerian barbs. So hearing that people are being kidnapped while they’re in church, people are being killed, brutalised, all because of their religion — that should spark outrage,” she said. She added, “We’re not backing down anymore. We are not going to be silenced by the bullies anymore. We will speak up for Christians wherever they are in this world.” Minaj also reflected on the global importance of religious freedom, pointing out that many people take the right to worship for granted. “We take for granted that there, right now in this world, are people who cannot worship God as they please, where they please. Every time we pray in fellowship, we have to remember the people that are right now in this world hiding to pray in fellowship, and we have to pray for them,” she said. The rapper has previously expressed concern over the situation in Nigeria, including reacting to a post by former US President Donald Trump on October 31 in which he wrote that “Christianity is facing an existential threat in Nigeria.” Minaj responded on November 1, saying, “Reading this made me feel a deep sense of gratitude. We live in a country where we can freely worship God. No group should ever be persecuted for practising their religion.” PUNCH Online reports that Minaj also drew attention last month to the treatment of Christians in Nigeria during a collaboration with US Ambassador to the United Nations, Mike Waltz. At AmericaFest, she praised Trump and Vice President JD Vance as leaders who understand the concerns of ordinary Americans. During the event, Minaj noted that Christians also face challenges in the United States, stressing that leadership plays a crucial role in protecting religious freedom. “Christians have been persecuted right here in our country in different ways. So when we talk about Nigeria and other countries, know that prior administrations saw nothing wrong with that, and that’s what was wrong with them,” she said. The Nigerian government, however, has repeatedly rejected claims of a coordinated or systematic persecution of Christians. Authorities maintain that insecurity affects Nigerians of all faiths and that the country’s security challenges are complex, not the result of a state-backed campaign against any particular religion.

Read More

42 Nigerians Deported From Ghana’s Ashanti Region Over Criminal Offences

At least 42 Nigerians have been deported from Ghana’s Ashanti Region following court rulings over alleged prostitution, fraud, and other criminal activities. The Ashanti Regional Minister, Frank Amoakohene, disclosed the development on Thursday, December 18, 2025, in a Facebook post. He said the deportations also included 13 Cameroonians, three Ivorians, three Burkinabe, and seven nationals from Benin, bringing the total number of foreign nationals affected to 68. According to Amoakohene, the deportations followed court decisions involving Q-Net, prostitution, and other offences. He commended the Ghana Immigration Service for enforcing the country’s immigration laws with professionalism, while respecting due process and human dignity, and highlighted the agency’s collaboration with courts and security forces in maintaining public safety and law and order. The move comes amid heightened scrutiny of Nigerians abroad. In late November, at least 50 Nigerians were arrested in India during one of the largest coordinated crackdowns on a transnational drug network. The operation, led by Delhi Police in collaboration with the Telangana Police’s EAGLE unit, involved months of intelligence gathering and simultaneous raids across major cities. The raids targeted a cartel involved in trafficking methamphetamine and cocaine, as well as hawala-based money-laundering operations. The recent actions in Ghana and India highlight ongoing international efforts to tackle criminal activities involving foreign nationals, including Nigerians.

Read More

Akpabio Takes Kogi Senator Akpoti-Uduaghan Suspension Dispute To Supreme Court

Senate President Godswill Akpabio has escalated the legal dispute over the suspension of Kogi Central Senator Natasha Akpoti-Uduaghan to the Supreme Court. Court documents dated December 1, 2025, obtained on Sunday, confirm that Akpabio has filed the appeal following a Court of Appeal ruling that struck out the Federal Government’s brief in the case. The Abuja Division of the appellate court had deemed the brief incompetent, citing multiple violations of procedural rules, including incorrect font size and line spacing, exceeding the 35-page limit, and failing to seek leave of court to depart from the rules. The Notice of Appeal itself was also found defective. The court held that these breaches were substantive, undermining the appeal’s validity. Although Akpabio publicly described the appellate court’s action as “illegal,” records indicate the decision was firmly grounded in law. Dissatisfied with the outcome, the Senate President has now asked the Supreme Court to overturn the judgment and allow him to refile the brief in compliance with procedural requirements. The move has drawn attention, with legal and political observers describing it as unusual for a Senate President to personally pursue a case. Sources in the National Assembly suggest Akpabio has been closely following the proceedings, raising concerns among sections of the legal community. The case is further complicated by a history of political tension between Akpabio and Akpoti-Uduaghan. The first-term senator is known for her outspoken criticism of Senate leadership, which insiders say has unsettled the Senate President. A National Assembly source noted: “This matter has clearly moved beyond the courtroom. It has become a political contest for relevance and dominance.” Within ruling party circles, some believe influential figures expect Akpabio to curb Akpoti-Uduaghan’s rising profile. In his Supreme Court appeal, Akpabio contends that the Court of Appeal violated his right to a fair hearing by refusing to grant leave to regularise the defective brief or exceed the page limit. He is seeking to nullify the November 28, 2025, proceedings and refile the brief properly. Akpoti-Uduaghan’s lawyers confirmed being served with the appeal, describing it as a desperate attempt to overturn a lawful decision. One counsel said: “Yes, we have been served. But this is just another needless misadventure that will lead to nowhere.” The senator was suspended for six months in March 2025 after protesting the relocation of her seat during plenary, accusing Akpabio of targeting her and calling him a “dictator.” Although the suspension ended in September, she could not immediately return due to ongoing legal challenges and resistance from Senate leadership. She later resumed office with officials of the Sergeant-at-Arms, insisting she had “no apology to tender.” With both sides now set to appear before the Supreme Court, the dispute has once again captured national attention, highlighting the intersection of law and politics in the ongoing conflict between the Senate leadership and the Kogi Central senator.

Read More

FG Plans To Generate Over N150bn Annually From Vehicle Recycling By 2026

The Federal Government is preparing to unlock significant revenue from Nigeria’s vehicle recycling space, with projections showing the sector could generate more than N150bn annually from 2026 under new automotive industry reforms. The National Automotive Design and Development Council made this known on Sunday, with its Director-General, Joseph Osanipin, confirming that an End-of-Life Vehicle programme approved by the government will drive the initiative. Osanipin said the policy is designed to regulate the disposal and recycling of vehicles that have outlived their usefulness, converting a long-standing environmental and safety challenge into an organised economic system. “In developed countries, when you buy a new vehicle, during registration, you make a payment towards the disposal of that vehicle when it reaches the end of its life. When it gets to the end of its life, somebody has to be responsible for the disposal.” He explained that Nigeria will adopt a similar approach by introducing a small charge during vehicle registration to support proper recycling and environmentally safe disposal, acknowledging that the idea may face resistance at first. Osanipin noted that Nigeria already operates a vibrant informal market for used vehicle parts, commonly known as the Belgian parts market, driven largely by concerns about the durability of new components. He said findings by the council showed that more than 85 per cent of parts from end-of-life vehicles remain reusable or recyclable, providing a strong base for a structured circular economy. “If someone has an alternative, instead of abandoning vehicles by the roadside, you can turn them in and still make something out of them. The circular economy associated with this will be worth billions of naira every year, if well managed.” He added that the formal recycling framework would also create thousands of jobs across dismantling, refurbishment, logistics and component resale. The announcement comes amid a recovery in Nigeria’s vehicle import market. Data shows that passenger vehicle imports climbed to about N1.01tn in the first nine months of 2025, up from roughly N894bn recorded during the same period in 2024, reflecting renewed demand as foreign exchange conditions improved. Statistics from the National Bureau of Statistics indicated that the rebound gathered momentum in the third quarter of the year, outweighing weaker activity earlier in 2025. While the recovery highlights the strength of the fairly used vehicle segment, it also exposes ongoing challenges such as high landing costs and reliance on imports. As part of the reforms, the council plans to introduce mandatory pre-export certification for all used vehicles shipped to Nigeria from 2026, a move aimed at stopping the inflow of rusted and end-of-life vehicles. Osanipin said Nigeria’s absence of such requirements had made it attractive to exporters seeking to offload unroadworthy vehicles. “We will ensure that importers are held responsible so that whatever you are buying, you know what you are buying.” He added that exporters would cover the cost of certification, not Nigerian buyers. The council is also pursuing vehicle conversion from petrol and diesel to electric power and compressed natural gas in line with the National Automotive Industry Development Plan. Osanipin said training programmes on EV technology, vehicle conversion and alternative fuels were already underway. “Capacity building is one of the major pillars of the NAIDP. We have carried out training on vehicle conversion from PMS and diesel to CNG, as well as on electric vehicles.” He disclosed that National Occupational Standards for EV maintenance and CNG retrofitting have been developed, with certification programmes expected to begin by 2026. Osanipin also highlighted progress in local vehicle design, citing projects involving tricycles, buses and electric shuttle buses developed in partnership with 12 universities and private sector players. “We want what is taught in our institutions to reflect industry realities. Producing even a few world-class auto engineers locally will have a significant impact on the economy.” He stressed that component manufacturing remains the biggest value driver in the automotive sector, noting that Nigeria spends more on items such as tyres, brake pads, filters and batteries than on importing complete vehicles. The council, he said, is engaging stakeholders to address infrastructure, financing and policy challenges facing component manufacturers, especially as Nigeria positions itself to benefit from the African Continental Free Trade Area. Osanipin also revealed plans to strengthen the automotive policy through legislation, saying a draft Auto Industry Bill would soon be submitted to the National Assembly. “Investment in the auto sector is huge. They will need an Act.” He described 2026 as a defining year for Nigeria’s automotive industry and urged the media to help explain the reforms to the public as implementation begins. “When the pushback comes, we need you to explain to Nigerians what we are trying to do and why.”

Read More

Asake Returns To Lagos After Extended Stay In Los Angeles

Asake has returned to Lagos after spending time in Los Angeles, and the news has quickly set social media buzzing. Reports of his arrival surfaced on X, exciting fans who have been eager to see the “Mr Money” hitmaker back in Nigeria. Following a run of chart-topping songs and international tours, many supporters are already anticipating fresh releases, live performances, and possible appearances throughout the festive season. Online reactions have been mixed with humor and excitement, as some users teased him over his long stay in the US, while others flooded timelines with messages welcoming him home. Asake touches down in Lagos, Nigeria after spending several years in Los Angeles, California 🪖🇺🇸🇳🇬 pic.twitter.com/r5lgCz51iz — Dami’ Adenuga (@DAMIADENUGA) December 21, 2025

Read More

BREAKING: All Abducted St Mary’s Catholic School Pupils In Niger State Released

The ordeal of families linked to St Mary’s Catholic School in Papiri community, Niger State, has come to an end after all the abducted pupils were finally released. The last batch of 130 schoolchildren regained their freedom on Sunday, bringing the total number of rescued victims to 230. The Office of the National Security Adviser confirmed the development to ARISE News Channel. The mass release marks a major relief for parents and guardians who had endured days of anxiety, while also representing a significant achievement for the security agencies that led the rescue operation. The children were kidnapped after gunmen invaded the boarding school, an attack that drew widespread condemnation and renewed concerns about the vulnerability of educational institutions across Nigeria. Security officials said the successful outcome was achieved through sustained pressure on the kidnappers and coordinated efforts among relevant agencies, as public calls continue to mount for improved school security and stronger measures to prevent similar incidents.

Read More

Seyi Tinubu Jr Installed As Okanlomo Of Yorubaland

Seyi Tinubu Jr has been formally installed as the Okanlomo of Yorubaland, following a traditional ceremony held in Oyo Town. The title was conferred on Sunday, December 21, 2025, by the Alaafin of Oyo, Oba Abimbola Akeem Owoade I, at the Alaafin’s Palace, where dignitaries and cultural leaders gathered for the occasion. Speaking on the development, the Speaker of the Oyo State House of Assembly and Chairman of the Conference of Speakers of State Legislatures of Nigeria, Rt. Hon. Adebo Ogundoyin, described the installation as a recognition of Tinubu’s growing role in public life, particularly his connection with youths and his philanthropic efforts. According to Ogundoyin, the honour carries deeper meaning beyond tradition and comes with expectations of leadership and service within Yorubaland. “This is not just a traditional title; it is a call to service and a recognition of leadership potential,” he said, adding that the conferment reflects long-held Yoruba values such as excellence, community service and legacy. The Speaker also applauded the Alaafin for his commitment to preserving Yoruba customs and reinforcing the relevance of traditional institutions by honouring individuals he described as true ambassadors of the culture. Ogundoyin encouraged Seyi Tinubu Jr to use the platform provided by the title to foster unity, promote cultural pride, support youth empowerment and contribute to sustainable development across Yorubaland.

Read More