Anthony Joshua To Spend New Year’s Eve In Hospital

Anthony Joshua is expected to spend New Year’s Eve at one of Nigeria’s best hospitals as he continues to recover from a car crash that killed two of his friends. The two-time heavyweight world champion was a passenger in a black Lexus when it ploughed into a stationary truck on the Lagos-Ibadan Expressway in Makun, Nigeria. The deaths of two of his long-term friends – Sina Ghami and Kevin Latif Ayodele- were confirmed on Monday night, while the vehicle’s other two passengers miraculously escaped with their lives. After the fatal road collision, Joshua was rushed to the Duchess International Hospital in Lagos, which has been rated the best private hospital in Nigeria for the past two years. Local police told Daily Mail Sport that Joshua is ‘stable’ and suffered only ‘minor’ injuries, although there are fears they could be more severe than publicised. Sources now said that Joshua is set to remain in hospital for at least a couple more days while he continues to recuperate. Police investigators have confirmed the car crash was caused by a tyre blowout after Joshua’s Lexus ‘lost control’. According to The Telegraph, traffic police believe the car was travelling over the 50mph speed limit and lost control during ‘an overtaking manoeuvre’ on what locals have claimed is one of Nigeria’s deadliest roads. Babatunde Akinbiyi, the Police Commander of Nigeria’s Traffic Compliance and Enforcement Corps (Trace), reported that the vehicle had ‘experienced a tyre burst because of excessive speed’. An eyewitness has also told Punch newspaper: ‘It was a two-vehicle convoy: a Lexus SUV and a Pajero SUV. ‘Joshua was seated behind the driver, with another person beside him. There was also a passenger sitting beside the driver, making four occupants in the Lexus that crashed. His security detail was in the vehicle behind them before the crash. ‘Other eyewitnesses and I began the rescue and flagged down oncoming vehicles to assist. A few minutes after the crash, officials of the Federal Road Safety Corps arrived.’ Footage taken at the roadside showed the boxer grimacing in agony as he was moved from the wrecked vehicle into a police cruiser. Nigeria’s president revealed on Monday that Joshua’s mother Yeta Odusanya had rushed to his bedside at the hospital after being informed of the crash. The luxury hospital boasts an elite service dubbed the Harley Street Practice, located on the sixth floor, which offers Duchess Royal Suites for VIP patients. Patients receive one-to-one care 24-hours a day and have access to medical personnel and hospitality staff. They also receive gourmet meals fully catered to their taste. The basic packages for the Royal Suite with ensuite bathroom facilities starts at £2,000. A representative of Joshua issued a statement on Monday evening confirming the deaths of the boxer’s two team members and ‘close friends’. The spokesman said: ‘It is with the deepest and most profound sadness that we confirm, following a road traffic accident in Lagos, Nigeria earlier today, the death of Sina Ghami and Kevin “Lateef” Ayodele. ‘Both were close friends and integral members of Anthony’s team. ‘We respectfully ask that space and privacy be given to the families at this time while they process this truly shocking and devastating news. ‘Anthony sustained injuries in the accident and was taken to hospital for checks and treatment, he is in a stable condition and will remain there for observation. ‘No further information will be made available at this time.’ Joshua’s long-time rival Tyson Fury paid tribute to the two men who were killed during the crash, sharing a post to Instagram on Tuesday. ‘This is so sad,’ wrote the Gypsy King on the social media platform. ‘May God give them a good bed in heaven.’ The crash, which occurred at midday local time, came just 10 days after Joshua defeated Jake Paul in Miami. As reported by the Daily Mail on Monday, Joshua had been visiting family in Nigeria as part of a one-week holiday, with a view to resuming training ahead of a fight in late March, most likely in Saudi Arabia against the kickboxer Rico Verhoeven, prior to his proposed showdown against Fury in September or October. While the exact nature of Joshua’s injuries are currently unknown, it is thought to be highly doubtful that he will be in any shape for a quick ring return. There will also be the question of psychological trauma as the ordeal that killed two other passengers in the same vehicle.

Read More

BREAKING: Lagos State Cancels 2025 Greater Lagos Fiesta

The Lagos State Government has announced the cancellation of the 2025 Greater Lagos Fiesta, which was scheduled for December 31, 2025. In a statement released on Tuesday by his Special Adviser on Media and Publicity, Mr Gboyega Akosile, Governor Babajide Sanwo-Olu approved the cancellation and urged Lagosians to dedicate the day to personal prayers for the nation, the state, and the people of Lagos. The Governor called on residents to pray for “our continued prosperity, leadership, peace, productivity and our continued general wellbeing.” He also wished Lagosians a happy and prosperous 2026, noting that the coming year holds great promise for both the state and Nigeria. He encouraged citizens to maintain peace and harmony in their communities. “On behalf of my family, I wish every resident of our dear State a happy and prosperous new year. I want to assure you all that the year 2026 will be a better year for us in the State, as our administration is determined to work twice as hard to deliver the goods for the residents of the state,” Governor Sanwo-Olu said.

Read More

Fire Erupts At Army Arena Market In Oshodi, Traders Panic

Traders at the bustling Army Arena Market in Oshodi, Lagos, were thrown into chaos on Tuesday evening after a fire erupted, consuming parts of the market. The Lagos State Traffic Management Authority (LASTMA) confirmed the incident via its official X account, stating, “There’s a fire outbreak inside Arena Shopping Mall along Agege Motor Road, Oshodi. Men of @LagosRescue are on ground to extinguish the inferno.” Emergency teams rushed to the scene to control the blaze and stop it from spreading to other areas of the market. At the time of reporting, the cause of the fire and the full extent of the damage remained unknown.

Read More

Ondo Amotekun Arrests 39 Suspected Bandits Fleeing Northern Airstrikes

The Ondo State Security Network Agency, popularly known as Amotekun, has arrested 39 individuals suspected of fleeing northern Nigeria following U.S. military airstrikes. Commander Akogun Adetunji Adeleye said the corps has strengthened security measures to prevent the entry of bandits and terrorists into the state. Adeleye made the announcement while parading 61 of the 100 suspects detained at the Amotekun headquarters in Akure, the state capital. He explained that 50 of the suspects were arrested for disturbing public order, six for kidnapping, two for violating anti-open grazing regulations, and three for gender-based offenses, including rape. “We appreciate the support of all security agencies in the state—the police, civil defence, army, DSS, vigilantes—and the public,” Adeleye said. He gave further details, naming 34-year-old Mustafa and 45-year-old Philip, arrested for kidnapping in the Ofosun Odigbo area. In Isua Akoko, 18-year-old Idris, 20-year-old Ibrahim Abdullahi, and 23-year-old Lawal Idris were apprehended. For rape and assaults on Amotekun officers, suspects included 19-year-old Daniel Ojo, 33-year-old Usman, and 41-year-old Bejide in Isinkan. Arrests for armed robbery included 30-year-old Ola Tunbosun, Ibrahim, and Shahidu in Akure North, Oba Akoko, and Oba Ile.

Read More

Tinubu Confirms New Tax Laws Will Take Effect January 1, Urges Public Support

President Bola Ahmed Tinubu has reiterated his administration’s determination to implement the newly signed tax laws, rejecting calls to halt the reforms amid public debates over certain provisions. In a statement released on Tuesday, Tinubu confirmed that the rollout will continue as planned, with some provisions effective from June 26, 2025, and others set to take effect on January 1, 2026. He described the reforms as a historic opportunity to build a fairer, more efficient, and sustainable tax system for Nigeria. Tinubu stressed that the changes are not intended to increase the tax burden on citizens, but to reform the system, improve administration, uphold the dignity of taxpayers, and strengthen trust between the government and the people. “The new tax laws are not intended to raise taxes. They are designed to reset the system structurally, promote harmonisation, protect dignity and strengthen the social contract,” he said. While acknowledging ongoing public discussions and concerns about specific sections of the laws, Tinubu stated that no critical issues had been identified that would justify suspending or reversing the reforms. He cautioned against reactionary decisions, noting that public confidence is built through steady and well-considered policies. The President urged all stakeholders to support the implementation phase, noting that the reform programme has moved decisively into the delivery stage. He reiterated the administration’s commitment to due process and respect for laws duly passed and assented to. Tinubu also assured Nigerians that the Presidency will work closely with the National Assembly to promptly address any challenges that may arise during implementation. “I want to assure Nigerians that the Federal Government will always act in the overall public interest to deliver a tax system that promotes prosperity, fairness and shared responsibility,” he said. The statement was issued in his capacity as Commander-in-Chief of the Armed Forces of the Federal Republic of Nigeria.

Read More

Sheikh Ahmad Gumi Urges US To Build Schools For Herders Instead Of Dropping Bombs

Controversial Islamic cleric Sheikh Ahmad Gumi has urged the United States government to invest in schools and basic amenities for herders instead of deploying what he described as a “$2 million bomb.” Gumi argued that many herders lack education and enlightenment, saying they “need deliverance from ignorance.” His remarks came after a video circulated showing a Fulani man who had discovered the barrel of a missile allegedly fired by the US military in an open field. According to Gumi, the man appeared unaware of the dangers posed by unexploded ordnance. Posting on Facebook, he wrote: “Most herdsmen need deliverance from ignorance and themselves, not bombardment. He doesn’t even understand the basic creed of Islam and the serious danger of unexploded bombs. That’s why I built a school for them. Instead of dropping a $2m bomb that can build schools and amenities for them.” The comments followed reports that the US military, acting on orders from President Donald Trump, carried out airstrikes in Sokoto State on Christmas Day. The strikes targeted ISIS and Lakurawa terrorist groups but reportedly missed their intended targets. The Nigerian government confirmed the operation, stating it was a coordinated mission approved by President Bola Tinubu.

Read More

Fubara Reassigns Christopher Green As Rivers Attorney General In Cabinet Shake-Up

Rivers State Governor Siminalayi Fubara has reorganised his cabinet, leading to the appointment of a new Attorney General and Commissioner for Justice. In the reshuffle, Christopher Green was reassigned from the Ministry of Sports to head the Ministry of Justice. He will serve as Attorney General and Commissioner for Justice while temporarily retaining responsibility for the Sports Ministry until a replacement is named. The position became vacant after the exit of former Attorney General Dagogo Iboroma, SAN, whose removal followed a Supreme Court ruling that brought legal closure to the political crisis in the state. The apex court judgment nullified the appointment of commissioners screened and confirmed by the Victor Oko-Jumbo-led three-member House of Assembly, leaving several cabinet positions vacant and disrupting the State Executive Council. The ruling has reportedly worsened tensions between the executive and the House of Assembly, making it difficult for the governor to forward new nominees for legislative screening. To avoid governance gaps, Governor Fubara opted for an internal reshuffle, reassigning existing commissioners to maintain administrative continuity across key ministries. The changes were confirmed in a statement by the Permanent Secretary of the Ministry of Information and Communications, Dr Honour Sirawoo, who said the decision was taken in the interest of stability and effective governance while political and legislative issues are being addressed.

Read More

British Deputy Head Of Mission Visits Anthony Joshua After Deadly Lagos–Ibadan Expressway Crash

British Deputy Head of Mission Simon Field has visited world heavyweight boxing champion Anthony Joshua in hospital following a deadly road accident on the Lagos–Ibadan Expressway. A statement from Ogun State Governor Dapo Abiodun’s Special Adviser on Information and Strategy, Kayode Akinmade, confirmed that Field met Joshua and held discussions with Governors Abiodun and Lagos State Governor Babajide Sanwo-Olu as British officials continue monitoring the situation. “The British High Commission was formally notified of the accident. Officials are in contact with the hospital and the Ogun State Government. The Deputy Head of Mission, Mr. Simon Field, visited the hospital and met with Anthony Joshua and the two governors. The families of the deceased have also been contacted through the High Commission,” the statement said. The crash, which occurred around midday on Monday, involved a Toyota Lexus carrying Joshua and three others. Two occupants, Ayodele Kelvin Olu, 36, a Nigerian-British citizen, and Gami Sina, 36, a British citizen, died in the accident. Governors Abiodun and Sanwo-Olu visited the hospital to oversee Joshua’s care, staying for several hours. Abiodun said, “As soon as I was informed, I headed straight to the hospital and was later joined by the Lagos State Governor. We both took charge of the situation, oversaw Anthony Joshua’s care, and remained at the hospital for over seven hours.” Other senior officials, including Inspector-General of Police Kayode Egbetokun and National Sports Commission Director-General Bukola Olopade, also visited Joshua. The Ogun State Government confirmed that Joshua is stable and receiving appropriate medical attention. President Bola Tinubu was briefed on the incident and spoke with Joshua, his mother, and Governor Abiodun, offering condolences and prayers. Quoting the President, Abiodun said, “This immense tragedy has cast a deep shadow over this season. These are very difficult moments, and we must stand firm, united, and encourage one another as brothers and sisters with a shared destiny.” Authorities have launched a full investigation into the crash, with the Ogun State Government promising to release findings once the probe is completed. Updates on Joshua’s condition and other developments will be shared as necessary.

Read More