Tinubu Holds Private Lunch With Rwandan President Kagame In Paris To Discuss Africa’s Development

President Bola Tinubu on Sunday met privately with Rwandan President Paul Kagame for a lunch in Paris, France, where the two leaders discussed global affairs and strategies to advance Africa’s interests. The Presidency shared photos showing the leaders seated at a table in an upscale Parisian restaurant, engaged in conversation over a meal. “President Bola Tinubu at a private lunch in Paris with the President of the Republic of Rwanda, Paul Kagame, discussing world affairs and advancing Africa. Sunday, January 4, 2026,” the statement read. The meeting comes a week after Tinubu left Lagos on December 28, 2025, for his end-of-year break in Europe. His Special Adviser on Information and Strategy, Bayo Onanuga, had confirmed the trip, noting that it preceded the President’s official engagement at the Abu Dhabi Sustainability Week Summit in early January 2026. Tinubu had been invited by UAE President Sheikh Mohamed bin Zayed Al Nahyan to participate in the weeklong summit, which brings together leaders from government, business, and civil society to discuss sustainable development. While the Presidency did not specify all the European countries Tinubu would visit, he has historically spent parts of his annual leave in France and the United Kingdom. Sunday’s lunch continues a series of engagements between Nigeria and Rwanda. Since assuming office in May 2023, Tinubu has maintained a close working relationship with Kagame, who attended his inauguration in Abuja. The two leaders also met in Abu Dhabi on January 13, 2025, ahead of that year’s Sustainability Week Summit, with Tinubu describing their discussions as “meaningful conversations” aimed at boosting intra-African trade and collaboration. Nigeria and Rwanda have enjoyed cordial relations since Rwanda’s independence in 1962, supporting one another in forums such as the United Nations, African Union, and Commonwealth of Nations. Bilateral agreements, including a Bilateral Air Service Agreement enabling multiple RwandAir flights weekly to Abuja and Lagos, as well as the Technical Aids Corps program, have strengthened the partnership. Tinubu’s European trip has drawn criticism from opposition parties, including the African Democratic Congress and Labour Party, who condemned the President for leaving Nigeria while the country faces rising insecurity, including foreign military interventions in the North. According to tallies by PUNCH Online, Tinubu made 10 foreign trips in 2025 alone, spanning Africa, Europe, Asia, the Caribbean, and South America, with focus on economic diplomacy, climate discussions, regional cooperation, and bilateral engagements. Since taking office on May 29, 2023, he has undertaken at least 46 foreign trips, spending approximately 192 days abroad as of October 2025.

Read More

Bandit Attack On Niger Market Kills Over 30, Many Others Kidnapped

At least 30 people, including women, were killed when bandits raided Kasuwan Daji market in Demo community, Borgu Local Government Area of Niger State on Saturday. The attackers reportedly looted foodstuffs and other valuables worth millions of naira before setting the market ablaze. According to reports, the raid began around 4 pm and continued into the early hours of Sunday. Residents said several people were also abducted during the attack. One local, speaking to Daily Trust by phone, claimed that more than 50 people were tied up and killed as the bandits moved through the area unopposed. Eyewitnesses said the attackers emerged from the National Park in Borgu LGA and carried out the raid in broad daylight. Confirming the incident, Niger State Police Command spokesperson SP Wasiu Abiodun said over 30 people died and several others were kidnapped. He stated: “On 03/01/2026 at about 9 pm, information received revealed that at about 4:30 pm of the same date, suspected bandits from the National Park forest along Kabe District invaded Kasuwan-Daji, located at Demo Village via Kabe, and burnt the market, looted shops, and carted away food items. On 04/01/2026 at about 8 am, a report indicated that a joint security team visited the scene, and over 30 victims lost their lives during the attack. Some persons were also kidnapped. Efforts are ongoing to rescue the kidnapped victims. Further developments will be communicated.”

Read More

Anthony Joshua Pays Tribute to Friends Lost in Fatal Nigerian Car Crash

Anthony Joshua has made his first public post since a tragic car accident in Nigeria left two of his close friends dead. The 36-year-old former two-time heavyweight champion was a passenger in a Lexus SUV that collided with a stationary truck on a major Lagos expressway. The crash claimed the lives of his teammates Sina Ghami and Latif “Latz” Ayodele, whose funerals were held at a London mosque on Sunday. Joshua suffered minor injuries and was hospitalized, but he was discharged on Wednesday and returned to the UK over the weekend. On Sunday, he shared two photos on Instagram. One image shows him sitting with his mother and three women, one holding a picture of Ghami, captioned: “My Brothers Keeper.” The vehicle’s driver, 46-year-old Adeniyi Mobolaji Kayode, appeared in Sagamu Magistrates’ Court on Friday, facing charges including causing death by dangerous driving, according to police sources.

Read More

Kwara Police Investigate Suspected Arson After Woman’s Home Targeted Over Religion

Mrs T. A. Olorisha has raised alarm after her house was destroyed in a suspected arson attack in the Isale Koko area of Ilorin, alleging that the incident followed threats she received because of her religious beliefs. The Kwara State Police Command confirmed that the fire occurred on January 1, 2026, at about 7:00 p.m. while Mrs Olorisha was away from home. Police said no life was lost, as the building was empty at the time, while the value of the damaged property is yet to be determined. According to the Police Public Relations Officer, SP Adetoun Ejire-Adeyemi, the incident was reported at about 10:00 p.m. on January 2 at the C Division Police Station, Oja Oba, Ilorin. “The complainant, Mrs T. A. Olorisha, alleged that her house was set ablaze by unknown persons on 1st Jan., 2026, at about 7:00 p.m., while she was away from home,” Ejire-Adeyemi said. She added, “Mrs Olorisha further alleged that she had received threats in November 2025 from some individuals over religious differences, as she is a traditional worshipper.” The police spokesperson said Mrs Olorisha provided investigators with useful information, leading to the invitation and detention of three suspects who are currently assisting with the investigation. Ejire-Adeyemi said efforts are ongoing to arrest other suspected perpetrators, assuring that all allegations will be thoroughly investigated. She also reiterated the command’s commitment to protecting lives, property, and the rights of all residents regardless of religious or cultural beliefs, urging the public to remain calm and cooperate with the police.

Read More

Anthony Joshua Returns To UK After Fatal Car Crash Claims Two Close Friends

Former world heavyweight champion Anthony Joshua has returned to the United Kingdom after a tragic road accident in Nigeria that claimed the lives of two of his close friends and members of his team. The fatal crash occurred on Monday, December 29, when the Lexus SUV Joshua was travelling in collided with a stationary truck on the Lagos-Ibadan Expressway near Makun. The boxer sustained minor injuries and was treated in hospital before being discharged on New Year’s Eve. A BBC report later confirmed that he has since flown back to the UK. Two passengers in the vehicle, Sina Ghami and Latif “Latz” Ayodele, lost their lives in the collision. Their funerals are scheduled to take place on Sunday at the London Central Mosque, according to Sky Sports. The driver, Adeniyi Mobolaji Kayode, 46, has been charged by the Ogun State Police Command with causing death by dangerous driving and driving without a valid licence. He was granted bail in the sum of N5 million, with the case adjourned until January 20 pending the fulfilment of bail conditions. Kayode’s 19-year-old son, Ifeoluwa Adeniyi, has defended his father, claiming the crash was caused by brake failure and an illegally parked truck. He insisted his father was not speeding at the time of the accident and described him as an experienced and careful driver. Kayode’s lawyer, Olalekan Abiodun, revealed that Joshua narrowly escaped death after changing seats shortly before the crash. According to him, Joshua initially sat in the front passenger seat but was asked to move to the back so the driver could have a clearer view of the wing mirror. Latif Ayodele later took the front seat. Joshua was reportedly travelling to Sagamu to visit relatives for New Year celebrations when the accident occurred, just 10 days after his knockout victory over Jake Paul in Miami. Ogun State Governor Dapo Abiodun and Lagos State Governor Babajide Sanwo-Olu expressed appreciation to the public for their prayers and support and thanked President Bola Tinubu for his intervention. Both state governments also commiserated with the families of the deceased, describing the incident as deeply painful and unfortunate. Police investigations into the circumstances surrounding the crash are still ongoing.

Read More

Nigerian Army Arrests Mastermind Behind North-East Suicide Bombings

Troops of the Nigerian Army under Operation Hadin Kai (OPHK) have apprehended Shariff Umar, also known as Yusuf, identified as the mastermind behind a suicide bombing network responsible for recent attacks in the North-East, including the Maiduguri mosque bombing. The military said the arrest followed intelligence-led cordon-and-search operations at Kalmari, Maiduguri, on December 31, which resulted in the detention of 14 individuals linked to suicide attacks. Investigations have since revealed the network’s structure, key roles, and operational links. A suspected suicide bomber in custody, Ibrahim Muhammad, named Umar as the ringleader who recruited, trained, and dispatched suicide attackers to their targets. “Consistent and corroborated statements revealed that Shariff Umar coordinated logistics and the delivery of improvised explosive device (IED) components for suicide attacks,” the Army stated. Umar was confirmed to have directed the suicide bombing at the Gamboru Market Mosque on December 24, 2025, in which his accomplice, Adamu, detonated a suicide vest and died. He was also tied to a foiled attack in Damaturu, personally handing IED components to the would-be bomber in Maiduguri. Further investigations implicated Umar’s wife, Yagana Modu, while his stepdaughter, Amina, confirmed seeing the suspected bomber at their home prior to the attack. The Army said these findings exposed how terrorist facilitators use domestic and community networks to conceal their operations. All suspects remain in custody and are undergoing intensive investigations aimed at dismantling the network, identifying other collaborators, and recovering any remaining explosives or logistical materials. The military highlighted that the operation underscores the need for close cooperation between security agencies and civilians, warning that terrorist networks often survive by hiding within communities. Citizens were urged to remain vigilant and report any suspicious activities, stressing that sustained cooperation is vital to preventing attacks and ensuring lasting peace in the region.

Read More

EFCC Rejects Bauchi Governor’s Allegations Of Political Targeting

The Economic and Financial Crimes Commission (EFCC) has dismissed claims by Bauchi State Governor Bala Mohammed that the agency is being used by the Federal Government or political rivals to target him and his administration. In a statement released on Friday, the EFCC urged Nigerians to disregard the governor’s allegations, calling them baseless and misleading. “The Economic and Financial Crimes Commission views with great displeasure the claims by Governor Bala Mohammed that the Commission is being used by political opponents, particularly the Minister of the Federal Capital Territory, Nyesom Wike, to persecute him and his aides,” the statement said. The commission described the allegations as “wild” and “far-fetched,” emphasizing that it operates independently and without political influence. “The EFCC is an independent agency established to fight economic and financial crimes. It carries out its mandate without favoritism or ill will. Suggesting that the Commission can be influenced by political interests is mischievous and condemnable,” it added. The EFCC also rejected claims that any political officeholder could sway its investigations. “It is derogatory for the governor to attribute the Commission’s activities in Bauchi State to the influence of Mr. Wike. No political official can interfere with the investigative processes of the Commission,” the statement read. Addressing the governor’s own legal history, the EFCC said Bala Mohammed was already facing charges before he assumed office. “If Governor Mohammed were transparent, he would have disclosed that he was on trial for money laundering at the time he won the governorship election in Bauchi State,” the agency said, noting that only the constitutional immunity attached to his office prevented prosecution. The EFCC also recalled that investigations into Mohammed date back to 2016, questioning his claims of political persecution. “Who influenced the Commission to investigate him in 2016 and charge him to court?” the agency asked. On ongoing cases involving Bauchi State officials, the EFCC said the matters are before the courts and based on evidence, not political vendetta. “The facts against some Bauchi State government officials have already been presented to the court,” the statement said, urging the public to review the charges themselves. The commission dismissed the governor’s remarks regarding terrorism financing, stating that it was simply enforcing the law. “Raising alarms over terrorism financing issues is unfounded. Ignoring legal violations would amount to dereliction of duty,” it said. Finally, the EFCC accused politicians of double standards, noting that allegations of persecution typically surface only when opposition figures are investigated. “It is hypocritical for opposition politicians to claim persecution each time an opposition figure is called to account,” the statement said, advising Governor Mohammed to focus on governance while the Commission continues its work against financial crimes.

Read More

Anthony Joshua Escapes Death After Seat Swap Before Fatal Crash That Killed Two Friends

Anthony Joshua narrowly avoided death in a car crash that killed two of his friends after a last-minute seat swap, UK’s Daily Mail reports. The former world heavyweight boxing champion, 36, had initially been seated in the front of his SUV but moved to the back shortly before the crash. The accident claimed the lives of Sani Ghami and Latif Adeyole, who had just arrived in Nigeria for a holiday. Joshua’s driver, 47-year-old Kayode Adeniyi, appeared in court on Friday and denied all charges, including dangerous driving. Wearing a black Muslim kaftan, Adeniyi pleaded not guilty, maintaining that brake failure caused the accident. He has driven Joshua for over three years and was granted bail, later escorted to Sagamu Correctional Centre for paperwork. Adeniyi’s lawyer, Olalekan Abiodun, told the Daily Mail, “My client has pleaded not guilty and what happened was an accident. He says the brakes did not work. When the journey started in Lagos, Anthony was sitting in the front seat, but the driver asked him to move behind because he couldn’t see the wing mirror properly.” The report notes that one of Joshua’s friends later swapped seats with him—the side of the SUV that was hit during the crash. Outside court, Adeniyi’s family expressed their distress. His 19-year-old son, Ifeoluwa, said, “The family is very upset by what’s happened and we are sorry for the deaths of the two people. Dad is not a fast driver; he was following the speed limit. The brakes failed, and he tried to swerve to avoid a truck parked illegally by the side of the road but couldn’t avoid it. He’s been driving for Anthony for three years and is a good driver. If the truck hadn’t been parked there, this wouldn’t have happened.” The tragic incident occurred just minutes after the group had been picked up from the airport and were on their way to visit Joshua’s family in Sagamu.

Read More