Jega Urges Mandatory Electronic Transmission of Election Results

Former Chairman of the Independent National Electoral Commission (INEC), Prof. Attahiru Jega, has called for the mandatory electronic transmission of election results in Nigeria. Speaking in commemoration of Democracy Day on June 12, Jega emphasized that strengthening the electoral process requires transparency and real-time result transmission. He noted that electronic collation would reduce manipulation and build public confidence in the democratic system. Jega, who led INEC during the landmark 2015 general elections, stressed that integrating technology into Nigeria’s electoral framework is crucial for credible elections and democratic consolidation.

Read More

𝐉𝐮𝐧𝐞 𝟏𝟐 P𝐫𝐨𝐭𝐞𝐬𝐭 B𝐞𝐠𝐢𝐧𝐬 𝐢𝐧 𝐀𝐛𝐮𝐣𝐚 A𝐦𝐢𝐝 H𝐞𝐚𝐯𝐲 S𝐞𝐜𝐮𝐫𝐢𝐭𝐲

Protest has commenced in the Federal Capital Territory to demonstrate against rising hardship and insecurity in the country. Security agencies had earlier deployed heavily armed personnel to strategic locations across the city, including potential protest hotspots. The presence of operatives was particularly noticeable at major junctions and the national Assembly, among other places where the protesters could have gathered. However, the protest, which coincides with Nigeria’s Democracy Day, commenced in the Apo area of Abuja, where demonstrators were seen chanting solidarity songs and waving placards to express their grievances.

Read More

Air Peace Debunks Oshiomhole Extortion Claims

A Nigerian airline, Air Peace, on Thursday, urged the Federal Airport Authority of Nigeria, FAAN, to release the closed-circuit television, CCTV, coverage starting from the time former Edo State governor, Senator Adams Oshiomole, entered the airport. The airline, which debunked claims of extortion, said it didn’t sell tickets after the closure of check-in on that flight. The statement by Air Peace came after Oshiomole, who accused the airline of extorting passengers, said he joined other travellers to protest against the act. The statement reads: “Our attention has been drawn to the deliberate falsehood being peddled by Senator Adams Oshiomole against Air Peace. “The Senator lied blatantly when he accused Air Peace of extorting its passengers. We challenge Senator Oshiomole to bring one piece of evidence of a passenger who was extorted. “None of our staff ever extorted any passengers. No ticket was sold after the closure of check-in on that flight. Everyone who flew bought their ticket before the flight closure. “Again, our flight was never overbooked as some of his videos alleged. The aircraft took off with over thirty (30) empty seats. It would have been in our interest to carry Oshiomhole and those others who missed their flights for lateness on this flight, instead of flying many empty seats; but we will never sacrifice our strict on-time performance for monetary gains. “It’s absolutely false that he was offered preferential treatment and that he was fighting for others. Senator Oshiomole was not fighting for anyone. He came to the airport late and was told that he was late. He then began to foment trouble. He jumped on the baggage conveyor belt preventing the check-in process of other flights. He also barricaded the entrance gate and prevented access to the terminal. While he was doing all these, he also deliberately instigated other passengers against the airline. “We call on the FAAN to release the CCTV coverage starting from the time Senator Oshiomole entered the airport, for Nigerians to see. His accusation of extortion is very defamatory. His conduct was very violent, unbecoming, unfortunate and above all, shameful.”

Read More

Tinubu Cancels National Broadcast

President Bola Tinubu has cancelled the previously scheduled nationwide broadcast in commemoration of Nigeria’s 26th Democracy Day anniversary. In a statement on Wednesday, the Director of Information and Public Relations, Segun Imohiosen, attributed the change to President Tinubu’s scheduled attendance at a joint session of the National Assembly on Thursday. He added that the president will instead deliver his Democracy Day address directly from the National Assembly chambers. “Due to President Bola Tinubu scheduled attendance at the National Assembly Joint Session, the Presidential National Broadcast on June 12 has been cancelled. President Tinubu will deliver his address from the National Assembly, ” Imohiosen said. He added that other scheduled activities to mark the day will proceed as planned. Earlier, a notice sent to journalists announced the cancellation of the traditional military parade initially scheduled to mark the 26th Democracy Day celebration on Thursday, June 12, 2025. No official reason was given for the cancellation of the military parade. The notice also said the president will also participate in a special joint session of the National Assembly later in the day at 12 noon. The notice, signed by Abdulhakeem Adeoye on behalf of the Director, Information & Public Relations in the Office of the Secretary to the Government of the Federation, outlined a revised schedule of events. It read, “The Inter-Ministerial Committee wishes to announce the following developments on the 26th Democracy Day celebration: “1. Presidential National Broadcast on June 12, 2025, at 7 a.m. The committee also directed that the public lecture, which will be held at the State House Conference Centre, will be covered exclusively by accredited State House correspondents.

Read More

How Oshiomole Disrupted Air Peace Operations

A prominent lawmaker, Senator Adams Oshiomole have been accused of disrupting the operations of Nigeria’s largest flag carrier, Air Peace, on Wednesday. The airline’s statement followed the circulation of a viral video on social media showing former Edo State Governor locking the terminal gate at the Murtala Muhammed Airport, MMA, Terminal 1, also known as Zulu Terminal, after a heated exchange with an airport official. Although Air Peace did not name the politician, it revealed that the individual arrived at MMA Terminal 1 (Zulu Hall) at about 6:10 a.m. for Flight P47120, which was scheduled to depart Lagos for Abuja at 6:30 a.m. According to the airline, upon the politician being informed of the missed flight, he resorted to violence, physically assaulting its staff and forcefully barricading the terminal’s entrance. The statement by the airline reads: “In line with our standard on-time departure policy, the boarding process had closed, and the flight departed as scheduled. “Upon being informed of the missed flight, the politician resorted to violence, physically assaulting our staff and forcefully barricading the terminal’s entrance. He went as far as sealing the entry gate and manning the access point, effectively obstructing other passengers from gaining entry into the terminal. “This unacceptable behaviour caused significant disruption to ongoing operations and affected numerous travellers scheduled for various flights. To minimise further inconvenience, Air Peace swiftly activated an operational contingency plan to board affected passengers through an alternate terminal, ensuring the continuity of their travel plans. “We are deeply saddened that such a high-profile figure displayed conduct so unbecoming and disruptive to fellow passengers and our personnel. Air Peace maintains a zero-tolerance stance on violence or any form of aggression against our staff and passengers. “We urge all guests to remain civil and cooperative at all times. Aviation operations are bound by strict timelines and safety protocols, and we remain committed to upholding these standards while delivering safe and timely services to the Nigerian public. “Air Peace continues to stand for discipline, integrity, and respect for due process. No individual, no matter how influential, is above these values.”

Read More

2027: PDP Leaders Divided Over Wike’s Call for Southern Presidency

By Our Reporters Tensions are rising within the Peoples Democratic Party (PDP) as party leaders are divided over a recent call by the Minister of the Federal Capital Territory, Nyesom Wike, and some stakeholders, for the party’s 2027 presidential ticket to be zoned to the South. The call, made during a meeting in Abuja on Monday by Wike and a group of “Concerned Stakeholders,” has drawn criticism and conflicting responses from within the party hierarchy. Wike’s group also reaffirmed Senator Samuel Anyanwu as the substantive National Secretary of the PDP—a move that has added to internal disagreements following a controversial National Executive Committee (NEC) meeting in May. Disagreement Among Party Leaders Reacting to the Abuja meeting, PDP Board of Trustees member and former House of Representatives member, Hon. Jones Onyereri, faulted the NEC meeting, alleging that it was not properly convened in accordance with the party’s constitution. According to him, “Only the National Secretary has the authority to issue notices of meetings. Senator Anyanwu confirmed in writing that the NEC meeting was cancelled. Therefore, it was not properly convened.” On the issue of zoning, Onyereri supported the group’s call for the PDP’s 2027 presidential ticket to be zoned to the South, stating that the party must uphold its constitutional principles of rotation and fairness. Bode George Urges Restraint In contrast, former PDP Deputy National Chairman, Chief Olabode George, cautioned against airing internal disagreements in public. He warned that such behaviour could damage the party’s unity and reputation. “We have a functional national executive, and family matters are not to be discussed in the marketplace,” George said. “We must all wait for the next NEC meeting scheduled for June 30. This is not the way to run a party.” Party Official: No Contradiction in Zoning Call Speaking on behalf of the party, PDP National Organising Secretary, Umar Bature, downplayed the controversy, saying the call for a southern presidential candidate aligns with the party’s broader position. “What they said in the communiqué is not different from what the party believes in,” Bature told Vanguard. “There is no decision from the last NEC meeting that is binding, so there is no need for alarm.” When asked about the claims that the NEC meeting was improperly convened, Bature acknowledged the procedural issues but maintained that no critical decisions were taken. PDP to Respond Formally The PDP National Publicity Secretary, Debo Ologunagba, told reporters that the party would formally respond to the Wike-led stakeholders’ position in due course. “There is a process in our party. We have a NEC and a committee responsible for these matters. The party will respond appropriately,” he said. Fayose Warns of Party Collapse Meanwhile, former Ekiti State Governor Ayodele Fayose has warned that the PDP risks becoming a “political carcass” if urgent reforms are not implemented. Speaking during a visit to President Bola Tinubu in Lagos on Monday night, Fayose said the party is in decline and requires drastic internal restructuring. “Without urgent action, the PDP is headed for serious decline,” he warned. “I’m not defecting to the APC, but as someone who once led the opposition, I must speak the truth.” He praised President Tinubu for his initial efforts in office, noting that although challenges remain, “there is a clear difference from the last administration.” Background The internal rift within the PDP comes as the party struggles to regroup following its loss in the 2023 presidential election. The battle for control of the party’s leadership and the zoning of the 2027 presidential ticket are expected to dominate the agenda at the upcoming NEC meeting.

Read More

APC Chieftain Jesutega Onokpasa Dies At 49

Jesutega Onokpasa, a well-known lawyer, political commentator, and prominent figure within Nigeria’s ruling All Progressives Congress (APC), has passed away. The lawyer and prominent political commentator died on Monday. Announcing his demise on his X account on Tuesday, a pro-APC crusader, Okezie Atani, said the prominent political commentator was survived by his wife and children. He wrote, “We lost Barr. Jesutega Onokpasa, may his soul rest in perfect peace.” The circumstances surrounding his death were yet to be disclosed as of the time of filing this report. Onokpasa was widely recognised for his fiery political commentary and active role within the APC. He served as a member of the party’s Publicity Committee and played a significant part in the APC Presidential Campaign Council during the 2023 general elections. He gained national attention in 2024 following a heated exchange with Arise News Channel host Rufai Oseni, a moment that thrust him further into the public spotlight and solidified his status as a staunch defender of the Tinubu-led administration. However, in a surprising turn of events earlier this year, Onokpasa publicly distanced himself from President Bola Tinubu’s leadership, declaring that he would not support the President’s re-election bid in 2027. Despite remaining a card-carrying member of the APC, he cited worsening insecurity, deepening economic hardship, and what he described as the administration’s failure to recognize and reward loyal party members and core supporters. His recent criticism of the government marked a dramatic shift in tone from a man once regarded as one of the administration’s most vocal supporters. Tributes and reactions have begun pouring in from political associates, colleagues, and members of the public, many expressing shock over the news of his passing.

Read More

Governor Otti to Commission 18 Key Projects in Abia Launches New Infrastructure Healthcare Drive

Abia State Governor, Dr. Alex Chioma Otti, OFR, is set to commission a total of 18 critical infrastructure and healthcare projects across the state this week, in a major push under his administration’s “New Abia” transformation agenda. According to a statement signed by the Commissioner for Information, Prince Okey Kanu, the commissioning ceremonies will take place between Tuesday, June 10 and Wednesday, June 11, 2025, covering Abia South and Abia Central Senatorial Zones. Governor Otti will on Tuesday commission 12 completed road projects in Aba, the state’s commercial capital, under the supervision of the Greater Aba Development Authority and the Ministry of Works. The roads include: A public rally will follow the commissioning at St. Joseph’s College (CKC), Asa Triangle, Aba. On Wednesday, June 11, the focus shifts to Abia Central, where the Governor will inaugurate four fully equipped Primary Health Care Centers (PHCs) in Isiala Ngwa South, Umuahia South, and Umuahia North LGAs. These fall under the Project Ekwueme PHC Program, which aims to establish functional health centers in all 184 wards across Abia State. Two major road projects will also be commissioned: Both road projects were executed by the Ministry of Works. A rally will be held afterward at Ibeku High School, Umuahia. This marks the first phase of Governor Otti’s larger plan to commission and initiate 55 key projects across the state in the coming weeks, reinforcing his commitment to transparent governance, infrastructure renewal, healthcare enhancement, and socioeconomic revitalization.

Read More