Israeli Forces Intercept Gaza-Bound Ship Handala as Strikes Kill 71 in a Day

Israeli Forces Intercept Gaza-Bound Ship Handala as Strikes Kill 71 in a Day

By Kamal Yalwa | July 27, 2025 Gaza Strip – The Israeli military has intercepted and surrounded the Handala, a humanitarian aid ship en route to Gaza in an effort to break Israel’s blockade of the besieged enclave. The move comes as Israeli airstrikes intensified across Gaza, killing at least 71 Palestinians since dawn on Saturday—including 42 civilians reportedly attempting to access humanitarian aid. Among those on board the Handala is a former member of the European Parliament from France, who confirmed via satellite link that the vessel had been blocked in international waters by Israeli naval forces. The ship, bearing Palestinian flags and a banner reading “Handala”, had attracted global attention for its symbolic and direct challenge to Israel’s restrictions on humanitarian access to Gaza. Organizers said it was carrying medical supplies, food, and basic necessities intended for civilians suffering under what many international observers describe as a “man-made famine.” Meanwhile, humanitarian agencies continue to push back against Israeli claims that aid is being distributed effectively. The United Nations and other relief groups argue that access restrictions, targeted strikes near aid centers, and red tape are preventing life-saving supplies from reaching those in desperate need. “This is not a logistics failure—it’s a deliberate policy choice,” said one UN official who requested anonymity for security reasons. The rising death toll on Saturday follows weeks of escalating violence and worsening humanitarian conditions. According to Gaza’s Health Ministry, over 200,000 people have been killed or wounded since the beginning of the conflict, with food insecurity now reaching catastrophic levels. Despite mounting international pressure and growing outrage over civilian casualties, Israel continues to defend its operations, citing ongoing security threats from Hamas and other armed groups. As of Saturday evening, the fate of the Handala and its crew remains uncertain.

Read More

Mission X accomplished, Super Falcons the Champions of the WAFCON

Nigeria swept to a 10th Women Africa Cup of Nations title on Saturday night after a come-from-behind 3-2 defeat of hosts Morocco in a drama-filled Final in Rabat. Morocco’s Atlas Lionesses had the full-capacity Stade Olympique de Rabat breathing heavily after a superlative opening performance that saw them take a two-goal lead after 24 minutes of the explosive encounter. Captain Ghizlane Chebbak rifled home a well-placed shot from the edge of the box in the 13th minute, capitalizing on an inadvertent pass by midfielder Halimatu Ayinde. The Lionesses were smelling the trophy 11 minutes later, when Saana Mssoudy, receiving the ball from a cross on the right, darted past Michelle Alozie to smash past goalkeeper Chiamaka Nnadozie. Five minutes before the break, Rasheedat Ajibade squared into the box as the Falcons pushed forward, but the ball agonizingly missed three of her team mates. The Falcons, champions nine times in the 12 editions that had been held previously, stormed back in the second half with the famed Nigerian spirit, and started their fightback in the 64th minute when the ubiquitous Esther Okoronkwo converted a penalty kick. Vibrant, fit-fighting and energetic, Okoronkwo took matters into her own hands again seven minutes later, bulldozing her way into the Moroccan eighteen-yard box and then finding Folasade Ijamilusi who connected sweetly past the goalkeeper. The hosts thought they had won a penalty in the 78th minute when the ball struck defender Tosin Demehin’s hand, but after a long check with the Video Assistant Referee, Namibian referee Antsino Twanyanyukwa struck off the penalty award. The Super Falcons were now in the ascendancy, and it was no surprise when substitute Jennifer Echegini gloriously swept home the third goal from another Esther Okoronkwo free-kick in the 88th minute. Nigeria captain Rasheedat Ajibade was named Player of the Tournament, while Africa’s best goalkeeper for the past two years, Chiamaka Nnadozie was named Goalkeeper of the Tournament. Victory earned Nigeria a one-million- dollar prize, and a successful ending to a Mission X campaign that caught on round the world like wildfire. In the event, the Super Falcons decimated all three teams that had beaten them in the 2022 finals also staged in Morocco. They defeated Zambia 5-0 in the quarter finals to avenge a third-place defeat by the Copper Queens in 2022. In the semi finals, they edged South Africa’s Banyana Banyana who had beaten them 2-1 in the group stage in 2022. In the final, they defeated the Atlas Lionesses that had beaten them on penalty shootout in the semi finals in 2022. They also kept to their record of never losing a Women AFCON Final.

Read More

Super Falcons Win Record 10th WAFCON Title with Thrilling Comeback Victory Over Morocco

By Kamal Yalwa Nigeria’s Super Falcons have etched their name deeper into African football history, claiming their 10th Women’s Africa Cup of Nations (WAFCON) title with a dramatic comeback win over hosts Morocco. The final, played in a packed stadium in Rabat, saw the Falcons rally from behind to defeat the Lionesses of Atlas in a pulsating encounter that showcased grit, experience, and championship mentality. Trailing in the first half, the Nigerian side turned the tide in the second half with clinical finishing and rock-solid defending to seal a memorable victory and reassert their dominance on the continental stage. The win marks Nigeria’s first WAFCON title since 2018 and is a major morale booster as the team continues to rebuild under a new generation of stars. Fans across Nigeria have taken to the streets and social media to celebrate the triumph, with the hashtag #SuperFalcons trending globally.

Read More

Viktor Gyokeres Joins Arsenal: Swedish Striker Brings Power, Goals – and Big Expectations

Arsenal have completed the signing of Viktor Gyokeres from Sporting CP in a major summer move, bringing one of Europe’s most prolific goalscorers to the Emirates. The Swedish international netted an astonishing 39 goals in the Portuguese top flight last season — the highest across Europe’s top eight leagues. Gyokeres’ arrival addresses Arsenal’s long-standing need for a dominant centre-forward, as the club looks to push for Premier League and Champions League glory under Mikel Arteta. The 26-year-old’s combination of raw power, pace, and relentless running earned him praise throughout Europe. Referred to by coaches as a “physical machine” and even a “battering ram,” Gyokeres offers a very different profile from Arsenal’s current attacking options. Filling a Critical Gap Since Arteta took over, Arsenal’s spending on natural forwards has been relatively modest — just £75 million prior to this summer. With Gabriel Jesus sidelined for the rest of the year and Kai Havertz often deployed out of position, the Gunners needed a true No. 9. Gyokeres, who previously impressed during a stint at Coventry City with 40 goals in 97 matches, brings not only a goal-scoring threat but also a dynamic style. He ranked among the top three players in Portugal last season for progressive carries and scored 23 goals from fast breaks — a sharp contrast to Arsenal’s often static attacking play. “His ability to run and keep running sets him apart,” said Adi Viveash, his former coach at Coventry. “He’d do 12 to 14 hard runs a game — other strikers might only manage four.” A New Challenge However, questions remain about how Gyokeres will adapt to the tactical demands of the Premier League, particularly against teams that sit deep in low blocks. At Coventry, he struggled early on with tight spaces and needed extensive coaching to refine his game. Another potential challenge is his temperament. Described as strong-willed with a “big personality,” Gyokeres reportedly pushed to tailor training sessions to his liking and even forced his move to Arsenal by skipping pre-season training at Sporting. “He had a strong character, and we clashed sometimes,” Viveash admitted. “But he knew his worth — and he proved it.” What This Means for Arsenal The Gyokeres signing, reportedly worth over £60 million, signals Arsenal’s intent to build a more direct, physical attack line — and adds depth as they prepare for a demanding 2025/26 campaign. With Noni Madueke also targeted and Jesus injured, Arteta is clearly reshaping his frontline. Whether Gyokeres can replicate his goal-scoring feats in England’s top tier remains to be seen. But if his development trajectory continues, Arsenal may finally have found the elite striker they’ve been searching for.

Read More

Gully Erosion Cuts Off Homes Roads in Calabar Community

By Kamal Yalwa – Calabar, July 26, 2025 Residents of Odo Edem Aka Effa community in Calabar Municipality, Cross River State, are facing daily hardship as a rapidly expanding gully erosion site continues to wreak havoc—cutting off access to homes, destroying roads, and endangering lives. What started as a small depression has grown into a dangerous chasm, swallowing portions of the main access road and isolating parts of the community. Locals say the erosion worsens after every rainfall, deepening the gully and bringing down more structures along its path. “We now climb through makeshift planks or take long detours through the bush just to get home,” said a resident, Mrs. Idara Eyo. “It’s especially dangerous for children and the elderly.” The worsening condition has raised health and safety concerns, with many residents calling on both the state and federal governments to urgently intervene before the situation escalates into a full-blown humanitarian crisis. Community leaders say repeated appeals to local authorities have yielded little action. Environmental experts warn that without immediate engineering intervention—such as proper drainage, channelization, and soil reinforcement—the gully could continue to expand, threatening nearby schools, churches, and even power infrastructure. Efforts to reach officials from the Cross River State Ministry of Environment for comment were unsuccessful as of press time. Source: TVC NEWS

Read More
Troops Kill Notorious Bandit Leader Dan Dari Biyar in Sokoto Operation

Troops Kill Notorious Bandit Leader Dan Dari Biyar in Sokoto Operation

By Kamal yalwa July 26, 2025 Troops of the Nigerian Army under Operation Fansan Yanma have neutralised Dan Dari Biyar, a notorious bandit kingpin long linked to a reign of terror in Sokoto State. He was killed during a clearance operation in the western axis of Sabon Birni Local Government Area, military sources confirmed. Counter-insurgency expert Zagazola Makama reported that Biyar was eliminated on Thursday while attempting to collect a ransom from relatives of kidnapped victims. According to Makama, Biyar had summoned the victims’ families to deliver the ransom deep inside the forest before falling into an ambush by troops. Biyar was widely feared across the Sokoto East Senatorial District, with his operations based deep within the Tidibale Forest. From there, he orchestrated coordinated attacks on several communities, including Lalle, Tsamaye, and parts of Gwadabawa. He was also allegedly responsible for the notorious burning of Gidan Sale village along the Gundumi axis. Known for his cruelty, Biyar earned infamy for his brutal treatment of kidnap victims, and for his provocative slogan, “I prefer ₦500 to a Hausa man,” which underscored his disdain and ruthlessness. Intelligence reports linked him to numerous acts of arson, ambushes, and raids on rural communities, military sources said. The operation that led to his death was carried out by a joint team of Nigerian Army personnel and local security volunteers under the Sokoto State Government’s Community Protection Initiative. Troops reportedly recovered a cache of high-calibre weapons, while several members of Biyar’s gang fled the scene. Pursuit operations are ongoing. The successful neutralisation of Biyar marks a significant breakthrough in ongoing efforts to dismantle criminal networks operating in Nigeria’s northwest.

Read More
Dozens Killed, Over 160,000 Displaced as Thailand-Cambodia Border Clashes Escalate

Dozens Killed, Over 160,000 Displaced as Thailand-Cambodia Border Clashes Escalate

By Kamal Yalwa: July 26, 2025 Violence along the long-disputed border between Thailand and Cambodia has intensified, leaving at least 33 people dead and forcing more than 168,000 people to flee their homes, as the deadly clashes entered a third consecutive day on Saturday. Cambodian officials confirmed 12 additional deaths, bringing their national toll to 13, while Thai authorities reported the death of another soldier, raising Thailand’s total to 20, mostly civilians. New flashpoints were reported on Saturday in areas over 100 kilometers (60 miles) from earlier combat zones, including Cambodia’s Pursat Province and Thailand’s Trat Province, signaling a dangerous spread of the conflict. International Calls for Restraint The United Nations Security Council held an emergency session in New York late Friday, where members unanimously called on both countries to show restraint and pursue a peaceful resolution. A council diplomat, speaking anonymously, confirmed that pressure is mounting for an immediate ceasefire. Malaysia, chairing the Association of Southeast Asian Nations (ASEAN), which includes both nations, issued a statement urging both sides to halt hostilities and offering to mediate peace talks. Competing Accusations Tensions have escalated sharply since May, when a Cambodian soldier was killed during a skirmish. The situation worsened last Wednesday when a land mine injured five Thai soldiers, prompting Bangkok to close its border with Cambodia and expel the Cambodian ambassador—a move that deepened the diplomatic crisis. Cambodia’s Ministry of Defence accused Thailand of launching a “deliberate, unprovoked, and unlawful military attack,” while Thailand’s acting Prime Minister Phumtham Wechayachai insisted Bangkok had shown “utmost restraint” in response to Cambodian aggression. Mass Evacuations and Civilian Displacement According to Cambodia’s Information Minister, Neth Pheaktra, more than 10,865 Cambodian families—around 37,635 people—have been displaced across three border provinces. Thai authorities reported that over 131,000 residents have fled border villages, seeking safety. In Cambodia’s Oddar Meanchey province, once-bustling villages now lie deserted. Families were seen evacuating on makeshift tractors, while others sheltered in underground bunkers hastily built using wood, zinc, and tarpaulins to protect against incoming shelling. Several hundred sought refuge at a remote Buddhist temple, where temporary plastic tents were erected beneath the trees. Strategic Sites Under Fire On Friday, Thailand’s military reported multiple skirmishes along the border, including near the ancient Ta Muen Thom temple, a long-contested site that both nations claim. The latest violence marks the most serious escalation since 2011, when 20 people were killed during similar clashes. With the situation deteriorating rapidly, regional and international actors are urging urgent diplomatic intervention to prevent a broader conflict.

Read More
UK Faces Pressure to Recognise Palestinian State as Gaza Humanitarian Crisis Deepens

UK Faces Pressure to Recognise Palestinian State as Gaza Humanitarian Crisis Deepens

By Kamal YalwaUK,Gaza,July 26, 2025 Calls are intensifying for the UK to formally recognise the State of Palestine, as Labour MPs and humanitarian groups highlight the worsening crisis in Gaza and urge the government to take decisive action. The MP behind the recent cross-party letter urging recognition has warned that “time is running out” to support a viable two-state solution. This comes as Prime Minister Keir Starmer confirmed that the UK will assist with humanitarian airdrops into Gaza amid dire shortages of food and water. Starmer’s remarks followed mounting pressure on the UK to align with France, which recently announced plans to recognise Palestinian statehood by September. The Prime Minister said Britain is “prepared to play its part” in supporting aid efforts while continuing to work diplomatically toward a long-term peace framework. However, the planned airdrops have drawn criticism from humanitarian experts, who argue that they offer only symbolic relief in the face of growing starvation. Philippe Lazzarini, head of the United Nations Relief and Works Agency (UNRWA), sharply condemned the airdrop strategy, calling it “a distraction and smokescreen.” In a post shared on social media, Lazzarini described the method as “expensive” and “inefficient,” and warned that airdrops “can even kill Palestinians” if mishandled. “A manmade hunger can only be addressed by political will. Lift the siege, open the gates & guarantee safe movement + dignified access to people in need,” he wrote. UNRWA says it has 6,000 trucks loaded with humanitarian supplies currently waiting in Jordan and Egypt, ready to enter Gaza if access is granted. The agency reiterated that only safe, sustained land entry points can adequately meet the scale of need on the ground. As the humanitarian catastrophe worsens, political momentum is building in Europe and beyond for the recognition of a Palestinian state—a move supporters believe could revive long-stalled peace talks and reaffirm international support for a two-state solution.

Read More