Madagascar Protests Enter Third Week as Anger Over Power Cuts and Corruption Grows

Anti-government demonstrations have intensified across Madagascar, entering their third consecutive week as protesters demand the resignation of President Andry Rajoelina over worsening living conditions, corruption, and crippling power outages. Police fired tear gas on Monday to disperse large crowds in the capital, Antananarivo, where protesters — many of them university students — blocked roads and burned tyres. Similar rallies were reported in the coastal cities of Toliara and Antsiranana (Diego Suarez). According to the United Nations, at least 22 people have been killed and more than 100 injured since the protests began on September 25, though the government has disputed those figures. Initially sparked by anger over frequent water and electricity cuts, the protests have since evolved into a broader movement denouncing government mismanagement and corruption. Organised by Gen Z Madagascar, a youth-led civic group that describes itself as peaceful and inspired by movements in Nepal and Morocco, the demonstrations have quickly gained traction nationwide. Only about one-third of Madagascar’s 30 million people have access to electricity, according to the International Monetary Fund (IMF). Daily blackouts often last up to eight hours, and the state-owned utility Jirama has been widely accused of corruption and inefficiency. “People don’t have refrigeration for medication or water for basic hygiene — and then there’s massive corruption,” said Ketakandriana Rafitoson, Global Vice Chair of Transparency International. “These protests were triggered by visceral grievances that go to the heart of daily life.” The unrest has at times turned chaotic, with police using rubber bullets to clear crowds and several shops looted in Antananarivo. The homes of some lawmakers were also vandalised. Authorities have since imposed nighttime curfews to limit gatherings. President Rajoelina, 51, who first seized power in a 2009 military coup before returning through elections in 2018, now faces the most serious challenge to his rule in years. In an apparent attempt to calm tensions, he dismissed his cabinet last week, but protesters have vowed to continue demonstrations until he steps down. A government spokesperson told Reuters that efforts to open dialogue have failed: “Unfortunately, despite our attempts, no clear or structured leadership has emerged to engage in constructive talks.” Rajoelina has rejected calls for his resignation, accusing opponents of trying to “destroy our country.”

Read More

Lawyer Moves to Bar Former President Jonathan From 2027 Presidential Race Over Term Limit

A lawyer has approached the Federal High Court in Abuja, seeking to stop former President Goodluck Jonathan from contesting the 2027 presidential election, claiming that doing so would breach Nigeria’s constitutional two-term limit for presidents. The suit also asks the Independent National Electoral Commission (INEC) to be barred from accepting or publishing Jonathan’s name as a candidate. Jonathan is listed as the first defendant, with INEC and the Attorney General of the Federation named as the second and third defendants. The case, filed by Johnmary Chukwukasi Jideobi under file number FHC/ABJ/CS/2102/2025, challenges Jonathan’s eligibility under Sections 1(1), (2), (3) and 137(3) of the 1999 Constitution as amended. The plaintiff is seeking four main orders from the court: A declaration that Jonathan is constitutionally barred from contesting or holding the office of President. A declaration that INEC cannot receive or publish his nomination for the 2027 election. A perpetual injunction preventing Jonathan from submitting himself to any political party as a presidential candidate in 2027 or future elections. A perpetual injunction restraining INEC from recognizing or publicizing his candidacy. Additionally, the suit asks the court to direct the Attorney General to enforce compliance with any orders issued. In a supporting affidavit, Emmanuel Agida argued that allowing Jonathan to run in 2027 would exceed the constitutionally permitted cumulative eight-year presidential term. Agida emphasized that the petition is aimed at protecting constitutional governance and upholding the rule of law in Nigeria.

Read More
NNPC Boss Blames PENGASSAN Strike For Surge In Cooking Gas Prices

NNPC Boss Blames PENGASSAN Strike For Surge In Cooking Gas Prices

The Group Chief Executive Officer of the Nigerian National Petroleum Company Limited (NNPC), Bayo Ojulari, has attributed the recent spike in the price of cooking gas to the industrial action by the Petroleum and Natural Gas Senior Staff Association of Nigeria (PENGASSAN). Ojulari, who spoke to journalists after meeting with President Bola Tinubu at the Presidential Villa in Abuja on Sunday, said the strike temporarily disrupted loading and distribution, leading to supply shortages and an artificial price surge. “The increase you saw was relatively artificial because during the strike, loading and movements were delayed for about two to three days,” he explained. “That delay affected distribution, and as the system normalises, prices are expected to ease gradually.” He also noted that some gas retailers took advantage of the situation to hike prices, exploiting the temporary scarcity. “In Nigeria, people take opportunities. With that short delay, some dealers who had stock raised prices unnecessarily,” Ojulari added. The NNPC boss assured Nigerians that normalcy would soon return to the market, saying, “Now that operations have resumed, prices should drop back to their previous levels.” The nationwide strike by PENGASSAN, triggered by the sacking of some Nigerian workers at the Dangote Refinery, had disrupted fuel and gas supply chains. The industrial action was, however, suspended on October 1 after the intervention of the federal government. Following negotiations, the Dangote Group agreed to reinstate the affected workers, paving the way for normal operations and the anticipated stabilisation of cooking gas prices across the country.  

Read More

Tinubu Returns To Abuja After 10-Day Working Visit To Lagos

President Bola Ahmed Tinubu is expected to return to Abuja today (Monday) after spending ten days in Lagos for a working visit that focused on strengthening Nigeria’s economy and attracting investment. According to his Special Adviser on Information and Strategy, Bayo Onanuga, Tinubu arrived in Lagos on September 26, shortly after attending the coronation of the 44th Olubadan of Ibadanland, Oba Rashidi Adewolu Ladoja, in Ibadan. During his stay, the President held a series of strategic meetings with business leaders and investors, including Global Infrastructure Partners CEO Bayo Ogunlesi and Metis Capital Partners Chairman Hakeem Belo-Osagie, who is also a former Chairman of UBA and Etisalat. The discussions centered on fostering public-private partnerships and enhancing investor confidence in Nigeria’s economy. Tinubu also hosted the Secretary-General of the International Maritime Organisation (IMO), Arsenio Dominguez, in the company of the Minister of Marine and Blue Economy, Adegboyega Oyetola, and other key maritime stakeholders. He reiterated his administration’s commitment to developing the maritime industry as a major source of revenue, positioning it as a sustainable alternative to the country’s dependence on fossil fuels.  

Read More
Minister Uche Nnaji Reveals He Never Received His UNN Certificate Despite Completing Studies

Minister Uche Nnaji Reveals He Never Received His UNN Certificate Despite Completing Studies

The Minister of Innovation, Science, and Technology, Uche Nnaji, has admitted that he never received his certificate from the University of Nigeria, Nsukka (UNN), even though he completed his studies there. Speaking about his academic background, Nnaji revealed that despite finishing his degree program at the institution, he was not issued a certificate upon graduation. He, however, clarified that the absence of the document did not invalidate his education or achievements. The minister’s disclosure has drawn mixed reactions, with some Nigerians questioning how such a situation could occur, while others commended his openness about the issue. Nnaji, who is known for his extensive experience in business and innovation, maintained that his time at UNN contributed significantly to his growth and professional development, even without the physical certificate to show for it.  

Read More

NiMet Warns Nigerians To Brace For Heavy Rainfall And Flash Floods

The Nigerian Meteorological Agency (NiMet) has issued a fresh weather alert predicting heavy rainfall and thunderstorms across several parts of the country from Monday to Wednesday, with warnings of possible flash floods in northern and central states. In a statement released on Sunday in Abuja, NiMet forecasted early morning thunderstorms and moderate rainfall over Jigawa, Zamfara, Kano, Kaduna, Bauchi, Yobe, and Katsina on Monday, while Kebbi, Adamawa, and Taraba would likely experience rains later in the day. “Flash floods are possible in Bauchi, Jigawa, Katsina, Kaduna, and Kano States during this period,” the agency warned. For central states such as Niger, Benue, the Federal Capital Territory, Plateau, and Nasarawa, NiMet predicted cloudy skies with light to moderate rainfall, cautioning that parts of Plateau may experience significant flooding. In the southern region, light to moderate rains are expected in Ondo, Imo, Abia, Enugu, Ebonyi, Anambra, Edo, Delta, Bayelsa, Rivers, Cross River, and Akwa Ibom. The agency also forecast that northern states will experience a mix of sunshine and cloud cover on Tuesday, while thunderstorms and rainfall will persist in Adamawa, Taraba, and nearby areas. “Central and southern regions will continue to witness moderate rainfall,” NiMet stated. By Wednesday, northern states are expected to see morning sunshine followed by isolated thunderstorms, while cloudy skies and moderate rainfall will dominate central areas. In the South, Ebonyi, Akwa Ibom, Rivers, and Cross River are forecast to experience morning showers and heavier rain later in the day. NiMet urged residents in flood-prone zones to stay alert, avoid driving during heavy downpours, and secure belongings against strong winds. The agency also advised the public to disconnect electrical appliances during storms and avoid sheltering under trees. For flight safety, NiMet encouraged airlines to rely on up-to-date, airport-specific weather reports. The agency added that more detailed updates and forecasts could be accessed through its official website, www.nimet.gov.ng.  

Read More

Cooking Gas Price Jumps to N25,000 as Supply Disruptions Hit

The cost of refilling a 12.5kg cylinder of Liquefied Petroleum Gas (LPG), also known as cooking gas, has surged to N25,000 this week, up from N17,500 last week. Mr. Bassey Essien, Executive Secretary of the Nigerian Association of Liquefied Petroleum Gas Marketers (NALPGAM), told Vanguard that the spike was due to supply disruptions caused by the recent industrial action by the Petroleum and Natural Gas Senior Staff Association of Nigeria (PENGASSAN). “Dangote Petroleum Refinery is currently the largest local supplier of cooking gas in Nigeria. The PENGASSAN strike disrupted distribution, leaving many dealers unable to replenish their stocks,” Essien explained. “What we are seeing is a result of demand exceeding supply, but supply should stabilize in the coming days now that the dispute is being resolved.” Vanguard checks revealed that several gas plants in Lagos and surrounding areas were shut down due to shortages, forcing consumers to move from one outlet to another in search of LPG. Recently, Aliko Dangote, President of the Dangote Group, disclosed that the refinery is currently producing 2,000 tonnes of LPG per day, with plans to further increase output to meet national demand. Dangote also emphasized the need to transition Nigerians from firewood and kerosene to LPG for cooking. “If distributors are not making LPG affordable and accessible, we’ll sell directly to consumers to ensure more households can switch to clean energy,” Dangote said, noting concerns over Nigeria’s energy poverty. Before the Dangote Refinery ramped up production, the nation’s LPG demand was primarily met by NLNG Limited. In a recent statement, NLNG reiterated its commitment to providing clean and reliable energy to Nigerian homes through its Domestic LPG (DLPG) scheme, which has been supplying cooking gas since 2007.  

Read More

Kwara State Scraps PTA Fees, Rolls Out Free Textbooks and School Grants

The Kwara State Government has announced the end of Parents Teachers Association (PTA) levies in all public primary schools, replacing them with annual school grants to cover the running costs of the institutions. Prof. Shehu Adaramaja, Chairman of the State Universal Basic Education Board (SUBEB), made the announcement during the opening of bids for the 2024 (3rd and 4th quarters) UBEC/SUBEB intervention projects. “The Governor, AbdulRahman AbdulRazaq, has approved the stoppage of PTA payments across all public primary schools in the state, from Primary 1 to 6. There will be no more PTA levies in Kwara State,” Prof. Adaramaja said. He also revealed that the state government will provide English and Mathematics textbooks free of charge to all pupils in public primary schools. The intervention projects will include the construction of classroom blocks with offices and toilets, renovation and remodeling of classrooms, drilling of solar-powered boreholes with tank stands, rehabilitation of digital literacy centers, provision of foundation literacy materials, fabrication and distribution of two-seater pupils’ desks, and implementation of the Safe Schools Initiative in selected local government areas. Prof. Adaramaja added that Governor AbdulRazaq has approved the payment of 2025 counterpart funds for UBEC/SUBEB projects. He urged contractors handling the projects to strictly follow specifications, warning that shoddy work would not be tolerated. He commended the Executive Secretary of UBEC, Hajiya Aisha Garba, and other stakeholders for their contributions to the success of the programme. Representing the bidders, Maroof Ahmed, Secretary of the Indigenous Contractors Association, thanked the government for the opportunity and promised that members would deliver high-quality projects on time.  

Read More