Naira Gains Strength, Hits ₦1,480/$ in Parallel Market

Naira Gains Strength, Hits ₦1,480/$ in Parallel Market

The Nigerian naira has gained ground in the parallel market, rising to about ₦1,480 per US dollar as of October 7, 2025, up from ₦1,490 over the weekend. Last week, the currency was trading at ₦1,520 per dollar. In the official Nigerian Foreign Exchange Market (NFEM), the naira also appreciated, closing at ₦1,464 per dollar on Monday, a ₦5 increase from the previous week’s rate of ₦1,469. Market analysts say the recent gains are driven by higher foreign exchange inflows, increased dollar supply, and continued interventions by the Central Bank of Nigeria, including liquidity operations and the use of its matching platform. Global factors, such as a strong U.S. dollar and mixed investor sentiment, have also affected currency movements. The upward trend provides some relief for businesses, importers, and consumers dealing with Nigeria’s ongoing currency volatility.  

Read More
SGF Invites Council of State, Police Council to Strategic Meeting

SGF Invites Council of State, Police Council to Strategic Meeting

The Secretary to the Government of the Federation, Sen. George Akume, CON, has extended an invitation to members of the Council of State and Police Council to a hybrid strategic meeting scheduled for Thursday, October 9, 2025. According to the Permanent Secretary, Cabinet Affairs Office, Dr. Emanso Okop Umobong, the meeting aims to discuss matters of national importance and key issues affecting national security and policing. “Members are requested to participate either physically or virtually. “This high-level meeting underscores President Bola Ahmed Tinubu’s commitment to addressing pressing national issues and ensuring the safety and security of citizens,” Umobong pointed out. The meeting details are as follows: – Meeting with the Council of State at 1:00 pm, while meeting with the Police Council is slated 2:00 pm at the Council Chambers, Aso Villa.

Read More

Church of Nigeria Breaks Ties With Church of England Over Archbishop Appointment and Same-Sex Marriage Support

The Church of Nigeria (Anglican Communion) has officially cut spiritual ties with the Church of England, rejecting Bishop Sarah Mullally’s appointment as Archbishop of Canterbury. The move comes amid criticism of Mullally’s support for same-sex marriage and her historic role as the Church of England’s first female Archbishop, which Nigerian leaders say reflect a moral decline in Anglican leadership. In a statement by Primate Most Rev’d Henry C. Ndukuba, the Church described the 3 October 2025 announcement as “devastating” and “insensitive,” accusing the Church of England of ignoring deep divisions within the global Anglican community. “This decision disregards the convictions of the majority of Anglicans who cannot accept female episcopal leadership and is compounded by Bishop Mullally’s advocacy for same-sex marriage,” the statement said. The Church cited Mullally’s 2023 remarks celebrating the Church of England’s approval of blessings for same-sex couples, calling her position a factor that deepens existing fractures in the Communion. “It is hard to see how someone who champions same-sex marriage can heal the divisions that have challenged the Anglican Communion for more than twenty years,” it added. The Church declared that the global Anglican community can no longer recognize the leadership of the Church of England or the Archbishop of Canterbury, reaffirming its loyalty to the Global Anglican Future Conference (GAFCON) and its principles. “As a member of GAFCON, the Church of Nigeria remains committed to Scripture, historic creeds, evangelism, and holy living, despite ongoing revisionist agendas,” the statement said. It also called on conservative Anglicans worldwide to uphold biblical teaching and resist doctrines it described as ungodly. “We urge all faithful members of the Church of England who oppose same-sex marriage and other contrary teachings to continue contending for the faith once delivered to the saints (Jude 1:3),” the statement concluded.  

Read More
Fire Engulfs Rivers State Secretariat Podium Block, No Casualties Reported

Fire Engulfs Rivers State Secretariat Podium Block, No Casualties Reported

A fire engulfed part of the Rivers State Secretariat Complex in Port Harcourt on Friday, destroying some property but causing no casualties. The blaze reportedly started around 4pm on the ground floor of a tall building known as the Podium and spread to the office of the newly formed Rivers State Pension Board. Initial reports indicate that an electrical fault may have triggered the fire. Dr Honour Sirawoo, Permanent Secretary of the State Ministry of Information, confirmed the incident, saying firefighters acted swiftly to contain the inferno. “It was at the Podium Block of the State Secretariat, on the right side where the fire started. Fortunately, the State and Federal Fire Services responded promptly and managed to bring the situation under control,” Sirawoo said. Rivers State Head of Service, Dr Inyinge Brown, also confirmed that no lives were lost and praised the readiness of the recently rehabilitated State Fire Service. “We were informed of a fire at the right wing, ground floor of the Podium Block. The State Fire Service responded immediately, and we also engaged the Federal Fire Service, Renaissance partners, and the military, all of whom contributed to controlling the fire. Thanks to these combined efforts, the fire has been contained,” she said. Brown further commended Governor Siminalayi Fubara’s proactive steps in upgrading the fire service, noting that the situation could have been far worse without these improvements. She also urged civil servants to exercise caution, advising them to switch off and unplug electrical devices to prevent future incidents, particularly in heritage buildings.

Read More
Erling Haaland Projected to Smash Alan Shearer’s Record with 389 Premier League Goals

Erling Haaland Projected to Smash Alan Shearer’s Record with 389 Premier League Goals

Manchester City’s star striker Erling Haaland is on course to rewrite Premier League history. According to Sky Sports’ Between the Lines analysis, Haaland’s phenomenal scoring rate could see him reach an astonishing 389 Premier League goals, eclipsing Alan Shearer’s long-standing record of 260. The Norwegian forward continued his blistering start to the 2025/26 season with a decisive strike against Brentford on Sunday, prompting Jamie Carragher to hail him as English football’s “greatest goalscorer.” “I’ve never felt better than I do now,” Haaland told Sky Sports after the match, describing himself as being in the best form of his career. Historic Scoring Pace Haaland’s numbers are staggering. He has already netted 18 goals in 11 games this season for club and country — taking his tally to 37 goals for the calendar year. With as many as 22 matches still to play before the end of December, projections show he could finish 2025 with a career-high 57 goals. In Europe, Haaland recently became the fastest player in Champions League history to reach 50 goals — achieving the feat in just 49 appearances, smashing Ruud van Nistelrooy’s previous record of 62. Closing In on Premier League Records Domestically, Haaland’s strike against Brentford brought him to 94 goals in 104 Premier League games, putting him on the verge of becoming the quickest player to reach 100 goals, surpassing Shearer’s 125-game record. If he maintains his current strike rate and remains at Manchester City through his contract, which runs until 2034, Haaland is projected to break Shearer’s 260-goal record by September 2030 and reach 389 Premier League goals by 2034. That would make him the league’s most prolific scorer by a wide margin — rewriting the record books before his 35th birthday. Why Haaland Is Getting Even Better Beyond raw numbers, tactical shifts under Pep Guardiola have helped unleash an even more lethal version of Haaland. This season, City have adopted a more direct and counter-attacking approach, allowing Haaland to exploit space behind defenses — an area where he thrives. According to Opta data, Haaland has already scored twice from fast breaks in the league this season — double his total for all of last season. His shot and goal-ending carry metrics have also significantly improved. Guardiola praised the striker’s evolution: “He’s in the best moment. He feels like part of the club now — like it’s his.” A More Complete Player Critics once accused Haaland of being a one-dimensional “poacher,” but the 25-year-old is proving he’s far more than just a goalscorer. Comparative heat maps show Haaland dropping deeper this season, linking play, pressing from the front, and contributing defensively. He has also become a key presence at set-pieces, leading City in first defensive contacts. “He is more involved in the game — not just finishing, but in his work ethic and pressing,” Guardiola noted. A Historic Trajectory Still only 25, with nine years remaining on his contract, Erling Haaland’s trajectory points toward a once-in-a-generation legacy. Already considered by many as the Premier League’s greatest goalscorer, Haaland’s relentless form suggests his best — and his records — are yet to come.

Read More

Madagascar Protests Enter Third Week as Anger Over Power Cuts and Corruption Grows

Anti-government demonstrations have intensified across Madagascar, entering their third consecutive week as protesters demand the resignation of President Andry Rajoelina over worsening living conditions, corruption, and crippling power outages. Police fired tear gas on Monday to disperse large crowds in the capital, Antananarivo, where protesters — many of them university students — blocked roads and burned tyres. Similar rallies were reported in the coastal cities of Toliara and Antsiranana (Diego Suarez). According to the United Nations, at least 22 people have been killed and more than 100 injured since the protests began on September 25, though the government has disputed those figures. Initially sparked by anger over frequent water and electricity cuts, the protests have since evolved into a broader movement denouncing government mismanagement and corruption. Organised by Gen Z Madagascar, a youth-led civic group that describes itself as peaceful and inspired by movements in Nepal and Morocco, the demonstrations have quickly gained traction nationwide. Only about one-third of Madagascar’s 30 million people have access to electricity, according to the International Monetary Fund (IMF). Daily blackouts often last up to eight hours, and the state-owned utility Jirama has been widely accused of corruption and inefficiency. “People don’t have refrigeration for medication or water for basic hygiene — and then there’s massive corruption,” said Ketakandriana Rafitoson, Global Vice Chair of Transparency International. “These protests were triggered by visceral grievances that go to the heart of daily life.” The unrest has at times turned chaotic, with police using rubber bullets to clear crowds and several shops looted in Antananarivo. The homes of some lawmakers were also vandalised. Authorities have since imposed nighttime curfews to limit gatherings. President Rajoelina, 51, who first seized power in a 2009 military coup before returning through elections in 2018, now faces the most serious challenge to his rule in years. In an apparent attempt to calm tensions, he dismissed his cabinet last week, but protesters have vowed to continue demonstrations until he steps down. A government spokesperson told Reuters that efforts to open dialogue have failed: “Unfortunately, despite our attempts, no clear or structured leadership has emerged to engage in constructive talks.” Rajoelina has rejected calls for his resignation, accusing opponents of trying to “destroy our country.”

Read More

Lawyer Moves to Bar Former President Jonathan From 2027 Presidential Race Over Term Limit

A lawyer has approached the Federal High Court in Abuja, seeking to stop former President Goodluck Jonathan from contesting the 2027 presidential election, claiming that doing so would breach Nigeria’s constitutional two-term limit for presidents. The suit also asks the Independent National Electoral Commission (INEC) to be barred from accepting or publishing Jonathan’s name as a candidate. Jonathan is listed as the first defendant, with INEC and the Attorney General of the Federation named as the second and third defendants. The case, filed by Johnmary Chukwukasi Jideobi under file number FHC/ABJ/CS/2102/2025, challenges Jonathan’s eligibility under Sections 1(1), (2), (3) and 137(3) of the 1999 Constitution as amended. The plaintiff is seeking four main orders from the court: A declaration that Jonathan is constitutionally barred from contesting or holding the office of President. A declaration that INEC cannot receive or publish his nomination for the 2027 election. A perpetual injunction preventing Jonathan from submitting himself to any political party as a presidential candidate in 2027 or future elections. A perpetual injunction restraining INEC from recognizing or publicizing his candidacy. Additionally, the suit asks the court to direct the Attorney General to enforce compliance with any orders issued. In a supporting affidavit, Emmanuel Agida argued that allowing Jonathan to run in 2027 would exceed the constitutionally permitted cumulative eight-year presidential term. Agida emphasized that the petition is aimed at protecting constitutional governance and upholding the rule of law in Nigeria.

Read More
NNPC Boss Blames PENGASSAN Strike For Surge In Cooking Gas Prices

NNPC Boss Blames PENGASSAN Strike For Surge In Cooking Gas Prices

The Group Chief Executive Officer of the Nigerian National Petroleum Company Limited (NNPC), Bayo Ojulari, has attributed the recent spike in the price of cooking gas to the industrial action by the Petroleum and Natural Gas Senior Staff Association of Nigeria (PENGASSAN). Ojulari, who spoke to journalists after meeting with President Bola Tinubu at the Presidential Villa in Abuja on Sunday, said the strike temporarily disrupted loading and distribution, leading to supply shortages and an artificial price surge. “The increase you saw was relatively artificial because during the strike, loading and movements were delayed for about two to three days,” he explained. “That delay affected distribution, and as the system normalises, prices are expected to ease gradually.” He also noted that some gas retailers took advantage of the situation to hike prices, exploiting the temporary scarcity. “In Nigeria, people take opportunities. With that short delay, some dealers who had stock raised prices unnecessarily,” Ojulari added. The NNPC boss assured Nigerians that normalcy would soon return to the market, saying, “Now that operations have resumed, prices should drop back to their previous levels.” The nationwide strike by PENGASSAN, triggered by the sacking of some Nigerian workers at the Dangote Refinery, had disrupted fuel and gas supply chains. The industrial action was, however, suspended on October 1 after the intervention of the federal government. Following negotiations, the Dangote Group agreed to reinstate the affected workers, paving the way for normal operations and the anticipated stabilisation of cooking gas prices across the country.  

Read More