UK-Based Nigerian Doctor Allegedly Rapes Woman on Staircase

UK-Based Nigerian Doctor Allegedly Rapes Woman on Staircase

An NHS doctor ‘forcefully’ held a woman down on her staircase, lifted up her dress and raped her, a court heard. Later in the same evening, Dr Osareme Edeoghon, 39, allegedly raped the woman again while she was on the phone to her friend, jurors heard. Prosecutor Robert Harding told how the medic had been invited to the woman’s house but, without saying a word, started having sex with her as soon as she opened the front door. Jurors were told how the woman said ‘no’ and told Edeoghon ‘maybe later’, but his grip was so ‘tight’ that she ‘couldn’t move her hands’. The medic is also accused of raping the alleged victim a third time, an incident the woman described as a ‘violation’. Jurors were told that Edeoghon was based at the NHS hospital in Basingstoke, Hampshire, at the time of the alleged incidents. Mr Harding said: ‘There was no consent given, and it would have been clear to any person that she did not consent.’ The prosecutor told Winchester Crown Court that Edeoghon and the woman knew each other and she was expecting him at her house. He said that when Edeoghon arrived ‘She greeted him at the door, but without any invitation from her, he started to have sex with her.’ Mr Harding continued: ‘She was not consenting to this, and it would have been clear to any person that she did not consent. ‘She told him things, such as ‘no’, and even went as far as to say ‘maybe later on’. ‘After the defendant finished having sex, the complainant had a shower and busied herself as best she could cooking dinner. ‘She then returned to her bedroom and used her phone to call a friend. The defendant proceeded to try to have sex with her. There was no consent given.’ During his opening of the case on Monday, Mr Harding said that the woman ‘spoke with police about the allegations’ and told officers she had also been orally raped. The police interview with the woman was played to the court, in which she said: ‘I wanted to report rape, that he raped me.’ She told how the doctor had arrived at her home by taxi and added: ‘When I went down to the door, he did not say anything, and he turned me around and lifted up my dress. ‘I was like ‘no what are you doing?’ and he continued. So, I said ‘no’, and I said ‘maybe later’. But he just did not say anything, he just kept turning me and lifting up my dress. ‘By this time, I was at the stairs, or he had pushed me to the stairs. He started to have sex with me.’ The woman told how she was restrained by her arms as she was ‘pushed’ onto the stairs. ‘I tried to say no and stop but I couldn’t because he was forceful’, she added. ‘I couldn’t move my hands because he was holding my hands and turning me around. Because of how tight he was holding me; I couldn’t lift my arms.’ After the alleged attack the woman said she went upstairs to shower ‘because I just felt dirty anyway’. After dinner, she was in her room on her phone when ‘he came into the room and did the same thing again’, she said. The woman continued: ‘I was on the phone to my friend, and he came in out of nowhere again. He pulled my underwear down, moved my leg. ‘I just remember him being over me and me trying to figure out what to do in that situation because I am on the phone. I couldn’t say anything because I was on the phone.’ When a police officer asked what she was talking to her friend about on the phone, she said: ‘We were talking about carnival and the events and where to get tickets.’ The officer also asked how he would know she was not consenting, and she said: ‘I was on the phone and not inviting him.’ She said if she were not on the phone, she would have ‘pushed him off me and said no, I was tired.’ She said she had work the following day and would have told him that she would be too tired for work. She added: ‘It took time to register what was happening, and it was difficult to say stop while my friend was on the phone or to say stop because of what he was doing.’ During the interview, the woman, who can’t be named for legal reasons, alleged that she had also been orally raped by Edeoghon. The woman said: ‘That time I did say no, I turned away and covered my mouth. ‘I moved away from him because I just felt used. So I moved away to try to control the situation and ended up having sex to stop what was happening. It just felt like a violation.’ Edeoghon from Barnsley, South Yorkshire, denies three counts of rape. The trial continues.

Read More
Professor Mahmood Yakubu Receives Commander of the Order of the Niger (CON) as INEC Tenure Ends

Professor Mahmood Yakubu Receives Commander of the Order of the Niger (CON) as INEC Tenure Ends

President Bola Ahmed Tinubu has conferred the national honour of Commander of the Order of the Niger (CON) on Professor Mahmood Yakubu following the end of his second term as chairman of the Independent National Electoral Commission (INEC). Yakubu was first appointed INEC chairman in November 2015 for a five-year term, which was renewed in 2020, and has now concluded. The award recognises his dedicated service to the nation and his role in strengthening Nigeria’s democracy. Presidential spokesperson Bayo Onanuga stated that Tinubu thanked Yakubu for his efforts in conducting free and fair elections throughout his tenure. “President Tinubu has directed that Professor Yakubu hand over to the most senior national commissioner, May Agbamuche-Mbu, who will oversee the commission until a new chairman is appointed,” the statement added. In a letter dated October 3, 2025, Professor Yakubu expressed appreciation to the President for the opportunity to serve as INEC chairman since 2015.

Read More

Argentine Police Arrest Nigerian Fugitive Wanted by INTERPOL in Landmark Cybercrime Case

Argentine authorities have arrested a Nigerian national, Ikechukwu N., marking the country’s first-ever capture of a fugitive listed on both INTERPOL’s Red and Silver Notices. The suspect is accused of masterminding a series of large-scale romance scams that defrauded thousands of women across multiple countries, as well as leading an international cybercrime network. The arrest was made under Operation Jackal, an INTERPOL-coordinated initiative targeting West African organized crime syndicates. The operation was conducted jointly by Argentina’s Federal Police (@PFAOficial) and Airport Security Police (@seguridadpsa), with crucial support from INTERPOL’s Financial Crime and Anti-Corruption Centre (IFCACC), FIS, and INTERPOL Brazil. The INTERPOL Silver Notice, introduced in January 2025 as a pilot project, is designed to help member countries trace, freeze, and recover criminal assets linked to transnational crime. This milestone arrest underscores Argentina’s growing role in global efforts to combat cyber-enabled financial crimes and strengthen international cooperation against organized criminal networks.

Read More

SSANU and NASU Announce One-Day Nationwide Protest Over Unresolved Staff Demands

The Senior Staff Association of Nigerian Universities (SSANU) and the Non-Academic Staff Union of Educational and Associated Institutions (NASU) have announced a one-day nationwide protest on Thursday to press the Federal Government to meet their outstanding demands. Acting through the Joint Action Committee (JAC), the unions have instructed all branches to hold emergency meetings on Wednesday to prepare members for marches, placard displays, and press briefings across campuses. The decision follows a review of government responses at the JAC meeting on October 6, after previous ultimatums expired without resolution. Key issues include alleged unfair distribution of the N50 billion earned allowances, delays in renegotiating the 2009 FGN/NASU/SSANU agreements, unpaid salaries for two months, pending arrears from 25 and 35 percent salary increments, and non-remittance of third-party deductions for May and June 2022. A circular dated October 6, signed by NASU General Secretary Prince Peters Adeyemi and SSANU National President Comrade Mohammed Ibrahim, directed full participation by all members. The memo stated that joint consultative committee meetings convened on September 19 and October 6 had made little progress, leaving the unions’ demands unresolved. “In light of this, the National JAC directs branch leadership in universities and inter-university centres nationwide to convene a joint congress on Wednesday, 8th October 2025, to mobilise for a massive one-day protest on Thursday, 9th October 2025,” the circular read, stressing strict compliance and unity. SSANU President Ibrahim warned that the government’s continued inaction could trigger an indefinite strike. “Ours will not be the ‘mother of all strikes’; it will be the grandfather of all strikes. When SSANU or NASU strikes, you know what it means. We must take our destinies into our hands,” he said, lamenting the poor welfare of non-academic staff. Like the Academic Staff Union of Universities (ASUU), SSANU and NASU have consistently clashed with the Federal Government over staff welfare and university funding.  

Read More
Innovation Minister Geoffrey Nnaji Resigns Following Certificate Forgery Allegations

Innovation Minister Geoffrey Nnaji Resigns Following Certificate Forgery Allegations

Geoffrey Nnaji, Nigeria’s Minister of Innovation, Science, and Technology, has stepped down following allegations of certificate forgery. President Bola Tinubu’s Special Adviser on Information and Strategy, Bayo Onanuga, confirmed the resignation on Tuesday, noting that the President has accepted Nnaji’s decision to leave office. “President Tinubu accepted the resignation of Geoffrey Uche Nnaji as Minister of Innovation, Science, and Technology following allegations leveled against him,” Onanuga said. Appointed in August 2023, Nnaji expressed appreciation in his resignation letter for the opportunity to serve the nation and claimed that he had “been a target of blackmail by political opponents.” The statement added that President Tinubu thanked Nnaji for his contributions and wished him success in his future endeavours.  

Read More

Nigerian Army Officer Dies After Allegedly Being Set On Fire By Wife In Akwa Ibom

A Nigerian Army officer, Lieutenant Samson Haruna, has tragically died from severe burns after allegedly being set on fire by his wife during a domestic dispute in Akwa Ibom State. According to reports, the incident occurred following an argument between the couple inside their apartment at the army barracks. The wife reportedly poured fuel on Lieutenant Haruna before igniting him in a fit of rage. Neighbours, alarmed by his screams, rushed to the scene and managed to extinguish the flames before taking him to the hospital, where he fought for his life for several days before succumbing to his injuries. Lieutenant Haruna was described by colleagues as a disciplined and calm soldier, making his death even more heartbreaking. Sources indicate that the couple had a history of frequent conflicts prior to the fatal incident. The wife has been arrested and is currently in police custody as investigations into the case continue. The incident has drawn widespread shock and sorrow online, with many Nigerians condemning domestic violence and calling for greater awareness and preventive measures. Lieutenant Haruna’s death has left the army community and the public mourning a tragic and senseless loss.  

Read More
CAN Denies Christian Genocide Claims, Urges Nigerians To Address Insurgency Locally

CAN Denies Christian Genocide Claims, Urges Nigerians To Address Insurgency Locally

The Christian Association of Nigeria (CAN) has rejected claims of a “Christian genocide” in the country, calling such reports exaggerated and driven by foreign interests. The controversy emerged after US comedian Bill Maher alleged that Christians in Nigeria were being systematically killed, with Islamist groups reportedly burning churches and attempting to eliminate the Christian population. US Senator Ted Cruz also accused Nigerian authorities of “ignoring and even facilitating the mass murder of Christians by Islamist jihadists,” claiming that Christians were being targeted under sharia and blasphemy laws. Cruz subsequently introduced the Nigeria Religious Freedom Accountability Act in the US Senate to impose sanctions on officials deemed responsible. Congressman Riley Moore also urged US Secretary of State Marco Rubio to designate Nigeria as a Country of Particular Concern and suspend arms sales until the government demonstrates protection for Christians. Speaking to Guardian Nigeria on Tuesday, CAN’s Director of National Issues and Social Welfare, Abimbola Ayuba, acknowledged the ongoing killings but rejected the idea that Christians are uniquely targeted. “Facts show that the killings do not follow any particular pattern,” Ayuba said. “In Christian-majority states like Benue, it may seem Christians are being targeted, but Muslims have also been attacked, including during early morning prayers in mosques. The violence involves kidnappings, attacks, and other atrocities that affect everyone.” Ayuba also criticized groups exploiting the situation for foreign attention. “Some actors use our challenges to serve their foreign interests. While outsiders have a right to inquire, we must present the facts accurately. The violence does not discriminate—it affects Christians, Muslims, and even children,” he said. He urged Nigerians to take collective action to address the insurgency locally rather than seeking sympathy abroad. “We need an all-of-society approach to end this insurgency. Why appeal to America when the Nigerian Senate provides avenues for petitions? Declaring Nigeria a country of particular concern will hurt all of us. Those seeking foreign sympathy know why they do it,” Ayuba concluded.  

Read More

Tinubu Requests House Approval For $2.35 Billion External Loan And $500 Million Sukuk To Fund Budget, Infrastructure

President Bola Tinubu has officially sought the House of Representatives’ approval to borrow $2.35 billion in external funds to partly finance the 2025 budget deficit and refinance Nigeria’s maturing Eurobonds. The request, contained in a letter to House Speaker Tajudeen Abbas, was read on the floor of the House on Tuesday. Tinubu is also seeking clearance to issue a $500 million debut sovereign sukuk in the International Capital Market (ICM) to support infrastructure projects and broaden Nigeria’s financing options. The borrowing plan complies with Sections 21(1) and 27(1) of the Debt Management Office (Establishment) Act, 2003, which require legislative approval for new loans and refinancing arrangements. The $2.35 billion proposal consists of $1.23 billion (N1.84 trillion) earmarked in the 2025 Appropriation Act to help close the budget gap, and $1.12 billion to refinance a Eurobond maturing on November 21. “The Federal Government has recorded significant success issuing Sukuk in the domestic capital market to fund key infrastructure projects,” the letter stated. “From September 2017 to May 2025, the DMO raised N1.39 trillion through domestic Sukuk for road infrastructure projects. Nevertheless, it is crucial to access external funds to complement domestic resources, bridge infrastructure gaps, diversify the investor base, and deepen the government securities market.” Tinubu explained that the funds could be raised through one or a combination of instruments such as Eurobonds, loan syndications, or bridge financing facilities, depending on market conditions. He added that pricing for the new Eurobonds is expected to mirror current yields on Nigeria’s international bonds, ranging from 6.8 percent to 9.3 percent depending on maturity. On the $500 million sovereign sukuk, the President said it would diversify Nigeria’s investor base, deepen the government securities market, and finance critical infrastructure projects across the country.  

Read More