Defence Minister Commends Lieutenant Yerima Following Confrontation With FCT Minister Wike

Defence Minister Mohammed Badaru has praised Lieutenant Yerima, the naval officer who confronted FCT Minister Nyesom Wike over a disputed land in Abuja, reportedly owned by former Chief of Naval Staff Vice Admiral Awwal Gambo. Speaking at a press briefing on the 2026 Armed Forces Remembrance Celebration at the National Defence College in Abuja on Wednesday, Badaru reiterated the government’s commitment to protecting military personnel carrying out their lawful duties. “At the Ministry and across the Armed Forces, we will always protect our officers performing their duties lawfully. Lieutenant Yerima has acted commendably, and we will ensure his safety. We are thoroughly reviewing this matter, and I assure you that any officer performing legitimate duties will receive full protection,” he said. The comments come after a viral video showed Wike and the officer in a heated exchange at a construction site in Gaduwa District, Abuja. Wike accused Yerima of illegally blocking his access to the property, insisting no one is above the law, while the officer said he was following orders from his superiors, sparking widespread public discussion.

Read More

Wike’s Aide Says Ex-Naval Chief Was Scammed In Disputed Abuja Land Deal

Lere Olayinka, Senior Special Assistant on Publicity and Communications to FCT Minister Nyesom Wike, has shed more light on the ownership controversy surrounding a disputed plot of land in Abuja, which recently sparked a confrontation between the minister and a naval officer. According to Olayinka, former Chief of Naval Staff, Vice Admiral Awwal Gambo (retd.), who claimed the land belonged to him, was a victim of fraud. He explained that the property was first allocated in 2007 to a company, Santos Estate Limited, for the development of a park and recreation centre. However, the company could not proceed with the project because the plot was located on a designated walkway. In 2022, Santos Estate Limited applied to the FCT Administration for a change of use—from “park and recreation” to “public park”—but the request was denied. Olayinka alleged that despite the refusal, the firm went ahead to divide and sell parts of the land to private buyers, including Gambo. “The former Chief of Naval Staff, Vice Admiral Gambo, was scammed. And he has realised that he was scammed. Instead of him to come out and seek help, he resorted to using military might,” Olayinka said. He stressed that since the change-of-use request had been rejected, any ongoing residential construction on the property was illegal and not recognised by the FCT Administration.

Read More
Peter Obi Condemns ‘Street Urchins’ Tag On Supporters, Says No Nigerian Is Without Value

Peter Obi Criticises Government Over Unpaid Super Eagles Allowances, Calls Nigeria “Now Disgraced Country”

Former Labour Party presidential candidate Peter Obi has criticised the Federal Government over reports that the Super Eagles have not received their allowances, describing the situation as a mark of a “now disgraced country.” Obi’s reaction comes after Super Eagles midfielder Alex Iwobi shared a video highlighting the poor condition of the team’s accommodation in Rabat, Morocco, ahead of Nigeria’s 2026 FIFA World Cup qualifying playoff against Gabon. In a statement on Tuesday via X, Obi said it was “truly unfortunate” that players who consistently give their best in representing the nation are still owed their entitlements, even as the government continues to spend on “needless lavish spending and political patronage.” He stressed that failing to properly care for national athletes sends the wrong message to Nigerian youth and urged authorities to prioritise the welfare of those who represent the country. Obi wrote: “It is truly unfortunate that our Super Eagles, who consistently give their best in representing our dear nation, are being owed their allowances. We always seem to find money to waste on needless lavish spending and political patronage, yet we cannot pay those who patriotically raise our flag, bring us pride, and serve with dedication. That is what is found in a ‘now disgraced country.’ When those who serve their country are not treated with dignity, it sends the wrong message to our youth, that hard work and service are not rewarded. Those who represent Nigeria deserve to be paid promptly and treated with respect. We must do better.”

Read More

Buratai Flags Wike-Navy Officer Clash as National Security Threat, Demands Urgent Action

Former Chief of Army Staff, Lieutenant General Tukur Yusuf Buratai (retd.), has warned that the confrontation between FCT Minister Nyesom Wike and a Nigerian Navy officer in Abuja poses a serious threat to national security, calling for urgent corrective measures. In a statement on his verified Facebook page on Tuesday, Buratai said Wike’s actions “transcend mere misconduct” and undermine the authority of the Commander-in-Chief as well as the integrity of the Armed Forces. The clash reportedly took place at Plot 1946, Gaduwa District, Abuja, over a land dispute linked to a former Chief of Naval Staff. Wike, accompanied by senior officials from the Federal Capital Development Authority (FCDA), visited the site to stop what he described as an “illegal construction” and confronted the naval officer supervising the property. In a viral video, Wike was seen questioning the officer’s authority, saying, “You are in uniform, and you’re telling me that the Navy owns this land? Who gave you the right to build without approval? Even if you are the Chief of Naval Staff, the law must be respected.” The officer replied that the property belonged to a former service chief and that the military had authorization to guard it. Buratai described Wike’s public rebuke as “a reckless act that strikes at the core of Nigeria’s command and control structure,” adding, “A minister’s verbal assault on a military officer in uniform is an act of profound indiscipline that threatens the foundation of our national security. It is not political theatre—it endangers public order.” He urged President Bola Tinubu to treat the matter as a national security issue and demanded that Wike issue an immediate public apology to the President, the Armed Forces, and the officer involved, emphasizing that the integrity of the military must be protected. The incident has drawn mixed reactions. Activist Omoyele Sowore criticized the military for allegedly prioritizing the protection of private property over national security, describing the situation as “misplaced priorities and entrenched self-interest among public officials.” Meanwhile, APC chieftain Joe Igbokwe defended Wike, calling the officer’s actions symbolic of systemic corruption and calling for his removal from the military. Legal expert Prof. Sebastine Hon also weighed in, stating that the officer’s conduct violated military regulations, which do not allow personnel to guard private property, and reaffirmed Wike’s authority over land administration in the Federal Capital Territory.

Read More

Thief Steals Toyota Hilux From Deputy Governor’s Convoy At Kano State Government House

A daring car thief reportedly made off with a Toyota Hilux van from the Deputy Governor’s convoy at the Kano State Government House in the early hours of Monday. According to DAILY NIGERIAN, the suspect gained entry to the premises through Gate 4 around 5 a.m. and later drove the vehicle out through the main gate. CCTV footage from the Government House reportedly captured the thief moving calmly through the compound before escaping with the Hilux. A source within the complex told the online publication, “The vehicle was part of the deputy governor’s convoy,” noting that security around the Deputy Governor’s office is usually heightened only during official working hours or when the deputy governor is present. The driver of the van, identified as Shafiu Sharp-Sharp, was briefly detained and interrogated as part of the ongoing investigation. “An investigation has been launched. The driver is being questioned, while the Chief Security Officer (CSO) is reviewing the CCTV footage,” the source added. As of the time of reporting, the Kano State Government has not released an official statement regarding the theft.

Read More

Defence Headquarters Commends Military Officer’s Stand Against Wike Over Abuja Land Dispute

The Defence Headquarters (DHQ) has commended the professionalism and resilience of the Nigerian military following a confrontation between a military officer and FCT Minister Nyesom Wike over a disputed piece of land in Abuja. Videos from the incident showed Wike attempting to access the land, only to be blocked by the officer, who insisted he was acting on official orders. Despite the tense exchange, the officer remained firm, refusing to allow the Minister entry. In a social media post, the DHQ subtly praised the military’s dedication, stating: “IT IS AN HONOUR TO SERVE IN THE NIGERIAN MILITARY UNSHAKEN. UNBENT. UNBROKEN.” The statement highlights the military’s commitment to discipline and duty, even in politically sensitive situations, and underscores the ongoing challenges surrounding land allocations in the Federal Capital Territory.

Read More

Military Veterans Demand Wike Apologise Over Heated Clash With Naval Officer In Abuja

A coalition of Nigerian military veterans has demanded a public apology from the Minister of the Federal Capital Territory, Nyesom Wike, over his verbal altercation with a naval officer during an enforcement visit to a disputed plot of land in Abuja. The group’s reaction followed a viral video showing Wike in a heated argument with naval personnel who had prevented him and his team from accessing the property. In the footage, Wike accused the officers of backing an illegal development, while one of them maintained that they were acting on official orders and that the land was linked to a former Chief of Naval Staff. The exchange escalated as Wike reportedly used offensive language toward one of the officers, prompting widespread criticism. In a statement signed by its spokesperson, Abiodun Durowaiye-Herberts, the Coalition of Military Veterans condemned Wike’s behaviour, calling it a show of disrespect towards a serving officer. “How can a public office holder call an officer ‘a fool’ on camera? He should have engaged the Chief of Naval Staff privately rather than attempting to disgrace a retired senior officer,” Durowaiye-Herberts said. He emphasized that uniformed personnel represent the authority of the Nigerian state and that insulting them undermines the nation’s institutions. The coalition also warned against any plans to sanction the officer, threatening to stage a protest if disciplinary action is taken. “If for any reason the officer is punished, military veterans will occupy the office and residence of the FCT Minister,” the spokesperson cautioned. Durowaiye-Herberts added that Wike’s conduct was unworthy of his position and urged him to show leadership by apologizing. “Wike’s action demeans the dignity of the office of a minister. He should apologise for using abusive language. It is not acceptable behaviour,” he stated.

Read More

Joe Igbokwe Calls For Sack Of Soldier Who Blocked Wike From Accessing Abuja Land

All Progressives Congress chieftain, Joe Igbokwe, has called for the immediate dismissal of a soldier who clashed with the Minister of the Federal Capital Territory, Nyesom Wike, during a confrontation over a disputed piece of land in Abuja. Reacting to the incident on Facebook, Igbokwe expressed anger over the soldier’s defiance and questioned the forces behind his actions. He wrote, “Who is this man in uniform? Of what meat is he fed? Who is beating the drum for him? This is unacceptable. His uniform has to be removed.” Reports earlier in the day revealed that the soldier had blocked Wike and senior FCTA officials from accessing a section of land in the capital city. The officer, who claimed to be acting on orders, refused the Minister entry, which quickly escalated into a heated exchange. Wike’s media aide, Lere Olayinka, later alleged that the soldier had been instructed by a former Chief of Naval Staff to obstruct the Minister.

Read More