Atiku’s Media Aide Accuses Tinubu of Favoritism Towards Christians, Sparks Religious Backlash

Atiku Urges Government To Declare State Of Emergency On Insecurity Following Niger School Abduction

Former Vice President Atiku Abubakar has called on the federal government to declare a state of emergency on insecurity following the abduction of students from St. Mary’s Catholic School in Papiri, Niger State. In a post on X, Atiku said: “Not again. This is truly heartbreaking. How many more lives must be shattered before decisive action is taken? It is not too late for the government to finally declare a state of emergency on insecurity and confront this menace with the urgency it deserves. – AA” Atiku stressed that decisive action is urgently needed to tackle the rising wave of kidnappings and violence. His statement comes after recent attacks in Kebbi, Kwara, and other states, underscoring the escalating threat to schools and communities across Nigeria.

Read More

Lagos State Government Denies Fake Kidnapping Alert On Gbagada Expressway

The Lagos State Government has debunked online claims suggesting a surge in kidnappings along the Gbagada Expressway. The warning, circulated via a flyer on social media, claimed that commuters were at risk of abduction and that criminals were using the so-called “one chance” method in commercial vehicles. Responding on Friday, Governor Babajide Sanwo-Olu’s Chief Press Secretary, Gboyega Akosile, dismissed the message as false. “Good morning Lagos, please beware of this fake news in circulation again! We’ve addressed it in the past, but purveyors of fakery are not tired of recycling this rubbish. Kindly ignore it. Thank you,” Akosile wrote on his official X handle. The flyer, which had been previously debunked, falsely claimed to be an official alert from the Lagos State Government and referenced supposed intelligence from the Lagos State Police Command about kidnapping incidents along the expressway. Akosile reiterated that the state government did not issue the notice and urged residents to disregard it.

Read More

Niger Government Blames St. Mary’s School for Ignoring Security Directive Before Pupils’ Abduction

The Niger State Government on Friday condemned the abduction of pupils from St. Mary’s School in Papiri, Agwara Local Government Area, noting that the school had reopened without government approval despite an earlier directive suspending boarding activities in the area. Although details of the attack are still emerging, Daily Trust reports that several students were taken during the midnight raid. The Head of Department, Disaster and Relief, Agwara Local Government, Ahmed Abdullahi Rofia, confirmed the incident by telephone, explaining that the attackers stormed the school between 2:00 am and 3:00 am. He said the exact number of abducted pupils and staff was yet to be determined as officials continue their assessment. In a statement issued on Friday by the Secretary to the State Government, Abubakar Usman, the government revealed that it had earlier received credible intelligence pointing to heightened threats in parts of the Niger North Senatorial District. According to him, the state responded by suspending all construction activities and ordering the temporary closure of boarding schools within the affected zone. “This unfortunate incident comes despite prior intelligence report obtained by the government indicating an increased threat level in parts of the Niger North Senatorial District. “In response to these credible security alerts, the State Government had earlier issued a clear directive suspending all construction activities and ordering the temporary closure of all boarding schools within the affected zone as a precautionary measure. “Regrettably, St. Mary’s School proceeded to reopen and resume academic activities without notifying or seeking clearance from the State Government, thereby exposing pupils and the staff to avoidable risk,” Usman said. He added that the number of abducted pupils is still unconfirmed as security agencies continue their investigations.

Read More

Miss Mexico Fátima Bosch Crowned Miss Universe 2025

Miss Universe has announced its new titleholder. On Thursday, November 20, the 74th Miss Universe pageant took place at Impact Challenger Hall in Bangkok, Thailand, where Fátima Bosch, representing Mexico, was crowned the winner. The competition featured contestants from over 130 countries and territories, all vying for the crown under this year’s theme, “The Power of Love.” Bosch’s victory comes amid some controversies surrounding the Miss Universe Organization in the weeks leading up to the event. On November 4, a viral livestream showed pageant executive Nawat Itsaragrisil reportedly scolding Bosch for allegedly refusing to take part in a photo shoot for social media. Although Bosch denied the claims, Itsaragrisil continued to reprimand her, leading several other contestants to leave the room in solidarity as Bosch exited. Last year, Victoria Kjær Theilvig made history as the first Danish winner of Miss Universe at the 73rd edition of the pageant.

Read More

BREAKING: Bandits Invade Catholic School In Niger State, Abduct Students And Staff

An unknown number of students and staff have been abducted from St. Mary’s School, a Catholic institution in Papiri community, Agwara Local Government Area of Niger State. Sources said the school was attacked during a night raid, with several students taken. A representative from one of the state’s Catholic churches confirmed the incident but said details were still being compiled. “Yes, it is true, but I am not in a position to give details. The church will issue an official statement later in the day,” the source said. The Niger State Police Command, through spokesperson SP Wasiu Abiodun, said further information would be provided later. Meanwhile, Ahmed Abdullahi Rofia, Head of Department for Disaster and Relief in Agwara Local Government, confirmed the attack, stating that the terrorists struck between 2 a.m. and 3 a.m., and the exact number of abducted students and staff is still being verified. The incident follows a recent kidnapping in Maga, Kebbi State, where 25 students were taken, raising concerns over escalating insecurity in northern schools. On Thursday, more than 50 schools in Kwara State were closed due to rising bandit activity. President Bola Tinubu recently cancelled trips to South Africa and Angola to focus on coordinating the federal government’s response to the worsening security situation.

Read More

WAEC Shifts Full Computer-Based Exams to 2027, Announces 2026 Test-Run Phase

The West African Examinations Council (WAEC) has postponed the full adoption of computer-based testing (CBT) for the Senior School Certificate Examinations (SSCE) to 2027, instead of 2026 as earlier directed by the federal government. The 2026 May/June WASSCE will now serve as a pilot phase, allowing students to choose between the traditional paper-and-pen format and CBT. Hajia Binta Abdulkadir, Chairman of WAEC’s Nigeria National Committee (NNC) and Federal Government nominee, revealed the update during the opening session of the committee’s 63rd annual meeting in Umuahia, Abia State. She assured stakeholders that no candidate would be disadvantaged during the transition, emphasizing WAEC’s commitment to a smooth migration to CBT. Abdulkadir highlighted several initiatives to prepare students for the digital exams, including training senior school students on tablet use and answering essay questions digitally. She also addressed concerns about subject selection under the revised Basic and Secondary School Curricula, clarifying that students are free to choose subjects across different streams. Science students, for example, can still take Economics as an elective, and the period for uploading Continuous Assessment Scores (CASS) has been extended to ensure accurate recording. The event also celebrated outstanding performers in the 2024 May/June school-based exams. Master Ajisafe Qoreebullah Olamilekan of Eemaan Foundation College, Osogbo, Osun State, emerged as the overall best candidate nationwide, scoring 580.8535 points with A1 grades in eight subjects. He is now studying Medicine and Surgery at the Federal University of Health Sciences, Ila Orangun. The second- and third-best students, Joan Eberechukwu Onovo and Chibukem Mac-Donald Mbah, were similarly honoured. Like Ajisafe, both are pursuing degrees in Medicine and Surgery at the University of Lagos and Afe Babalola University, respectively. All three top performers attended private schools. WAEC also recognised exceptional visually impaired candidates, awarding Master Ugwu Christian Chiemerie and Miss Abiodun Taye Olubunmi for their achievements. Christian, from the College of Immaculate Conception, Enugu, scored 413.5326 points and is now studying Law at the University of Nigeria, Nsukka. Taye, from Queen’s College, Lagos, scored 429.1543 points and is currently studying Guidance and Counselling at the University of Ilorin. Abia State Governor Alex Otti, represented by the Commissioner for Basic and Secondary Education, Elder Goodluck Chinedu Ubochi, praised WAEC for its role in promoting credible examinations and safeguarding assessment integrity. He described the council’s efforts to curb malpractice as “timely, courageous, and essential to protect the future of our young ones.” Dr Amos Dangut, Head of WAEC Nigeria, noted that the awards encourage healthy competition and academic excellence nationwide, congratulating students, their schools, and parents. Hajia Abdulkadir also commended all awardees and reaffirmed the federal government’s support for WAEC, assuring that Nigerian students would continue to be globally competitive.

Read More

Tinubu Sends Defence Minister Matawalle to Kebbi to Lead Rescue of 25 Abducted Schoolgirls

President Bola Ahmed Tinubu has deployed the Minister of State for Defence, Bello Matawalle, to Kebbi State to coordinate efforts to rescue 25 schoolgirls abducted earlier this week. The girls were kidnapped around 4 a.m. on Monday from the Government Girls Comprehensive Secondary School in Maga, Sakaba Local Government Area. Matawalle, former governor of neighbouring Zamfara State, is expected to arrive in Birnin Kebbi on Friday to oversee the rescue operations and provide direct updates to the President. A statement from Bayo Onanuga, Special Adviser to the President on Information and Strategy, said Matawalle’s appointment draws on his experience managing banditry and kidnappings during his tenure as governor between 2019 and 2023. Notably, he supervised the response to the February 2021 abduction of 279 girls from Government Girls Science Secondary School, Jangebe, all of whom were released after several days of negotiations and security pressure. President Tinubu had postponed trips to Johannesburg for the G20 Summit and Luanda for the AU-EU Summit to remain in Nigeria and receive briefings on the Kebbi abductions and Tuesday’s deadly attack on worshippers at Christ Apostolic Church in Eruku, Kwara State. The President expressed concern over the recent surge in attacks on schools and religious institutions, ordering heightened security across vulnerable areas. Matawalle’s deployment underscores the administration’s determination to treat the crisis as a national emergency, with direct, high-level coordination. Security forces have intensified operations in forests along Kebbi, Zamfara, and Niger states, responding to an increase in kidnappings and attacks targeting schools for ransom in the Northwest and North-Central regions.

Read More

Grandson Of Late Obafemi Awolowo, Olusegun Awolowo, Dies At 62

Olusegun Awolowo, grandson of the late Western Region Premier Obafemi Awolowo, has died, the family announced on Thursday. In a statement shared by Goldmynetv, the family expressed their grief, saying, “With extreme heavy hearts, we announce the passing of our beloved husband, father and grandfather, Olusegun Awolowo.” They added that condolences will be received at his residence daily between 2 and 4 p.m. Born on September 27, 1963, Olusegun Awolowo was a lawyer and served as executive director of the Nigerian Export Promotion Council (NEPC) from 2013 to 2021. During his tenure, he spearheaded initiatives to boost Nigeria’s non-oil exports and strengthen the country’s presence in international trade.

Read More