Trump Calls Nigeria A Disgrace As He Accuses Government Of Failing To Protect Christians

US President Donald Trump intensified his criticism of Nigeria on Friday, labeling the country “a disgrace” and renewing claims that its government is failing to protect Christians from extremist attacks. Speaking on a conservative radio show, Trump threatened military intervention against Islamist militants in Nigeria if the government does not “do more” to halt violence targeting Christian communities. “Nigeria is a disgrace. The whole thing is a disgrace,” Trump said. “They’re killing people by the thousands. It’s a genocide, and I’m really angry about it. And we pay, you know, we give a lot of subsidies to Nigeria. We’re going to end up stopping.” Nigeria has experienced long-standing ethnoreligious conflicts affecting both Christians and Muslims, though the narrative of Christians being uniquely targeted has gained significant attention among right-wing groups in the US. Trump’s remarks came a day after US Defence Secretary Pete Hegseth met with Nigeria’s National Security Adviser, Nuhu Ribadu, at the Pentagon to reinforce the administration’s claims of “horrific violence” against Christians in the country. “Under @POTUS leadership, DOW is working aggressively with Nigeria to end the persecution of Christians by jihadist terrorists,” Hegseth said in a post on X, referring to the Department of Defence by its preferred acronym “DOW” (Department of War). A statement from the Defence Department said Hegseth and Ribadu discussed “tangible progress” on curbing violence against Christians and countering jihadist activity in West Africa. President Bola Tinubu, a Muslim whose wife is a Christian pastor, has consistently rejected accusations of state-supported religious persecution, emphasizing that his government is committed to protecting all Nigerians regardless of faith. “The characterisation of Nigeria as religiously intolerant does not reflect our national reality,” Tinubu said. Despite this, Trump and his allies continue to push the narrative. Earlier this week, rapper Nicki Minaj joined US Ambassador Mike Waltz at the United Nations to echo similar claims. In a separate engagement, Republican Representative Riley Moore of West Virginia met Ribadu in Washington on Wednesday as part of ongoing high-level discussions between US officials and Nigeria’s security leadership.

Read More

CAN Raises Niger Abduction Toll To 315 From 227

The Christian Association of Nigeria has revised the number of abducted pupils and teachers from St. Mary’s Catholic Primary and Secondary Schools in Papiri, Niger State, raising the figure to 315 instead of the 227 earlier reported. According to CAN chairman Bulus Yohanna, the new total emerged after a detailed verification showed that dozens of children initially believed to have escaped were also taken. Parents later arrived at the school searching for their children, prompting a census that uncovered 88 additional missing pupils. The updated breakdown shows 303 students and 12 teachers are now unaccounted for. “After we left the school at Papiri, we made calls, conducted verification, and carried out further enquiries on those we thought escaped successfully, only to discover that 88 more students were also captured after they tried to escape. Parents we assumed had their children safe came asking for them, and that was when we realised they had also been abducted. This now makes it 303 students, including 12 teachers, bringing the total number of abducted persons to 315.” The abduction occurred in the early hours of Friday, between 3 a.m. and 4 a.m., when armed men on motorcycles stormed the school and carried out the mass kidnapping. Governor Mohammed Bago’s administration blamed the incident on the school’s alleged refusal to comply with a government directive ordering schools to shut down. However, Yohanna dismissed the claim, describing it as an attempt to deflect responsibility. “I was greeted with what I term propaganda that the school was given a prior warning through a circular. That is not true. We did not receive any circular; it must be an afterthought and a way to shift blame. In the past, when we heard of rumours of a security challenge, we shut down immediately. Is it now, when there is a circular from the government, that we would refuse to obey?” Yohanna added that both the education secretary and the National Association of Private Schools confirmed they never received or sent out any notice instructing schools to close. “Let them tell the world who they gave the circular to, or through what channel they sent it. Claims that the school was shut down and reopened recently are also not true. We are law-abiding.”

Read More

“I Will Stress You” – Nnamdi Kanu’s Wife Warns Over Husband’s Sudden Transfer to Sokoto Prison

Uchechi Okwu‑Kanu, wife of IPOB leader Nnamdi Kanu, has sharply criticized the way her husband’s relocation to Sokoto prison was handled, days after he was sentenced to life imprisonment by Justice James Omotosho. She disclosed that she only received news of the transfer three hours ago, and expressed frustration at those who visited her husband but failed to inform her directly. “Those who went to see him today did not give me any update on his transfer. Rather, they ran to social media to broadcast it,” she said. Okwu‑Kanu issued a pointed warning to those she holds responsible: “If you all do not sit up and behave in a civilised and professional manner, I will stress you with my ‘stress’ and I promise you, you will be stressed. Enough of your theatrics! Be warned!” Her statement reflects both anger and concern over the lack of transparency surrounding Kanu’s transfer. The move has also raised fears about his wellbeing, access to legal counsel, and medical care, as he is now far from his usual support network..

Read More

227 Students And Teachers Abducted From St. Mary’s Schools In Papiri, Niger State

Most Rev’d Bulus Dauwa Yohanna, Chairman of the Christian Association of Nigeria (CAN) in Niger State and Catholic Bishop of Kontogora Diocese, has confirmed that 227 students and teachers were abducted from St. Mary’s Catholic Primary and Secondary Schools in Papiri on Friday. According to Yohanna, the abducted group includes 215 students and 12 teachers. “I just returned from the village after visiting the school and speaking with parents. We are coordinating with the government and security agencies to ensure the safe return of our children,” he said. He noted that some students managed to escape during the attack, and parents have begun picking up their children as the school remains closed. The Niger State government and security agencies have not yet provided an official update on the exact number of those abducted.

Read More

US Defence Secretary Hosts Ribadu As Nigeria Faces Mounting Accusations Of Christian Persecution

Nigeria’s National Security Adviser, Nuhu Ribadu, has met with U.S. Secretary of Defence Pete Hegseth in Washington as controversy intensifies over accusations that Christians are being targeted and killed across the country. Hegseth disclosed the meeting on his X account, explaining that Ribadu and senior Nigerian officials were at the Pentagon on Thursday to address concerns about violence linked to extremist groups. His post stated that he met Ribadu “to discuss the horrific violence against Christians in their country,” adding that, under President Trump, the Department of War is working closely with Nigeria to confront jihadist groups accused of carrying out the attacks. Photos of both men accompanied the message. The engagement came shortly after Trump issued a strong warning in which he accused Islamic extremists of orchestrating systematic attacks on Christians in Nigeria. He vowed to authorise the deployment of American troops “guns blazing” to “wipe out the Islamic terrorists” if the killings were not stopped. In reaction to the escalating claims and threats, President Bola Tinubu instructed Ribadu to lead a high-powered delegation to the United States. Those on the trip included Minister of State for Foreign Affairs Bianca Ojukwu, Inspector General of Police Kayode Egbetokun, Attorney General of the Federation Lateef Fagbemi, and Chief of Defence Staff Gen. Olufemi Oluyede. Reports also noted that Trump recently placed Nigeria on a list of “Countries of Particular Concern,” claiming Christians were facing deliberate extermination. He warned that, unless Abuja halted what he described as “genocide,” the U.S. would intervene militarily. The Nigerian government has firmly dismissed Trump’s allegations, maintaining that terrorist attacks affect citizens of all faiths and that there is no state-backed pattern of persecution. Officials argue that the country’s security challenges are driven by criminality and extremism rather than religious policies. The dispute surfaces amid ongoing insecurity across several regions, where abductions and deadly attacks remain widespread.

Read More

Federal Government Closes 41 Unity Schools Following Rise in Attacks

The Federal Government has ordered the temporary closure of 41 unity schools nationwide following a rise in attacks and student abductions. The directive, issued on Friday by Binta Abdulkadir, Director of Senior Secondary Education at the Federal Ministry of Education, is aimed at protecting the lives of students and staff amid growing security threats. “Due to recent security challenges in various parts of the country and to prevent any potential breaches, the Honourable Minister of Education has approved the immediate closure of the listed Federal Unity Colleges. Principals are instructed to ensure full compliance,” the circular stated. The affected schools include FGGC Minjibir, FGA Suleja, FTC Ganduje, FGGC Zaria, FTC Kafancha, FGGC Bakori, FTC Dayi, FGC Daura, FGGC Tambuwal, FSC Sokoto, FTC Wurno, FGC Gusau, FGC Anka, FGGC Gwandu, FGC Birnin Yauri, FTC Zuru, FGGC Kazaure, FGC Kiyawa, FTC Hadejia, FGGC Bida, FGC New Bussa, FTC Kuta-Shiroro, FGC Ilorin, FGGC Omu-Aran, FTC Gwanara, FGC Ugwolawo, FGGC Kabba, FTC Ogugu, FGGC Bwari, FGC Rubochi, FGGC Abaji, FGGC Potiskum, FGC Buni Yadi, FTC Gashau, FTC Michika, FGC Ganye, FGC Azare, FTC Misau, FGGC Bajoga, FGC Billiri, and FTC Zambuk. The closure follows a reported attack on St. Mary’s Private (Catholic) Secondary School in Papiri, Agwara Local Government Area of Niger State. According to SP W.A. Abiodun, the state police spokesperson, armed bandits invaded the school at around 2:00 a.m. on November 21, 2025, abducting an undetermined number of students from the hostel.

Read More

Vice President Shettima Represents Tinubu At G20 Leaders’ Summit In South Africa

Vice President Kashim Shettima left Abuja on Friday to stand in for President Bola Tinubu at the G20 Leaders’ Summit in Johannesburg, South Africa. President Tinubu had postponed his planned trip to Johannesburg to receive additional security briefings following recent incidents in Kebbi and Kwara states. The summit, taking place from Saturday, November 22, to Sunday, November 23, at the Johannesburg Expo Centre, is hosted by South African President Cyril Ramaphosa, who currently presides over the G20. The gathering brings together leaders from the world’s 20 largest economies, alongside representatives from the European Union, African Union, and major financial institutions. Vice President Shettima is scheduled to return to Nigeria after completing his engagements at the summit.

Read More

Plateau State Orders Immediate Closure Of Schools Over Security Concerns

The Plateau State Government has ordered the immediate closure of all basic schools across the state amid growing security concerns. Richard Jonah, Public Relations Officer of the Plateau State Universal Basic Education Board (PSUBEB), confirmed the directive on Friday, describing it as a precautionary measure. He explained that the government is acting proactively to prevent incidents similar to attacks on schools in other states. According to the PSUBEB statement, Government Junior Model Secondary Schools (GJMSSs) will close from Saturday, November 22, 2025, while Primary and Day Schools will shut from Monday, November 24, 2025. The board stressed that the closures are temporary and intended to allow authorities to put additional security measures in place before students return. The statement also called on Local Government Education Authorities, school administrators, and community leaders to cooperate and remain vigilant. Residents expressed concern following the announcement. Moses Jeremiah of Shendam LGA said students of GSS Shendam were sent home after a warning about a possible attack, though the threat has not been independently verified. Plateau Police Public Relations Officer SP Alfred Alabo said the command is unaware of any specific threat and would comment only after receiving an official briefing. The decision comes shortly after violent incidents in neighbouring states, including the abduction of students from a Catholic school in Niger State and the attack on a girls’ boarding school in Kebbi State, where 25 students were kidnapped and the vice-principal killed. In a related development, Chief of Army Staff Lt.-Gen. Waidi Shaibu urged the public to support ongoing military operations, emphasizing the importance of community cooperation during the Nigerian Army’s Civil-Military Cooperation Media Chat in Jos.

Read More