Tracynither Nicolas Ohiri, a Nigerian businesswoman, has accused David Umahi, the Minister of Works and former Governor of Ebonyi State, of failing to pay her N200 million for promotional items she supplied during his 2014 governorship campaign.
In an exclusive interview with SaharaReporters on Friday, Ohiri claimed that Umahi deliberately withheld her payment after she rejected his sexual advances. She stated that Umahi had promised to pay her once he won the election. However, when she began requesting her payment, Umahi allegedly tried to turn their business arrangement into a personal one.
Ohiri explained that Umahi had initially told her that he didn’t have the funds but reassured her that once he won the governorship election, he would pay her. She said he even mentioned that he had asked then-President Goodluck Jonathan for financial assistance for the campaign and urged her to be patient.
Once Umahi won the election and became governor, Ohiri started asking for her money, but instead of paying her, Umahi reportedly began making romantic advances. She waited for about a year and eight months before asking again, at which point Umahi allegedly told her, “No problem, I’m going to pay you,” but then added, “What about the thing we’ve been discussing?” Ohiri said she firmly rejected his advances, explaining that she was a born-again Christian and didn’t engage in such matters.
When Umahi made his advances again, she rejected him once more, stating that she was only interested in maintaining a business relationship. According to Ohiri, Umahi took offense, saying, “Do you know that since I was born, no woman has said no to me?” She remained firm, saying she couldn’t be involved with him and wanted to keep their relationship strictly professional. Afterward, she claimed that Umahi blocked her number and ceased communication.
Ohiri claimed that when she attempted to contact him again, Umahi accused her of insulting him and threatened to make her “pay for the insult.” Since then, he has not responded to her calls or messages, leaving her without the money she’s owed since 2015.
In her ongoing public protests, Ohiri has taken to social media to demand the payment, expressing how the debt has severely impacted her financially for nearly eleven years. In one video, she directly addressed Umahi, saying, “Engr David Umahi, you know I am not lying. Your wife knows, your children know, and your mother knows. I know you have the power, the money, and everything. Your government is in power to lock me up, but I am ready to die for this.”
She also pointed out the disparity between her situation and Umahi’s wealth, stating, “I see your son flying private jets, and the money he uses to do that is enough to pay me. You withheld my capital, and I am a nursing mother in desperate need of my payment.”
Ohiri also expressed concern that security forces might come after her for speaking out, as shown in a placard she carried during her protest. The placard read: “Nigerians help me. Very soon, they will send DSS to come and arrest me. Their government is in power; they will attack me. But I am ready to die for this because I’ve waited for nine years. This man owes me.”