Our Reporters

MTN Champs Continental Relays to Kick Off with Flag Run Event in Lagos

MTN Champs Season 3 continues with Continental Relays in Lagos. These events will kick off with a Flag Run on April 8, ahead of the main competition scheduled for April 9 to 12 at the Yabatech and UNILAG sports complexes. The Flag Run will see young athletes participate in an experiential relay across Lagos, showcasing both their skills and the vibrancy of the city. The race will begin in Alausa and end at the MTN Plaza in Ikoyi, with athletes covering 5KM to 10KM distances in relay teams. The event is designed to highlight the fusion of sports, culture, and tourism, allowing athletes to engage with the city and its people while putting their talents on display. The runners will pass through key locations that reflect Lagos’ rich heritage and urban energy, reinforcing MTN’s sub-campaign, ‘See Naija’. A security team, traffic management officers, medics, and a team bus will accompany the athletes to ensure a smooth and safe race. Organised in partnership with Making of Champions, the MTN Champs Continental Relays will bring together top young athletes from across Africa to compete in various track and field events. The competition is aimed at developing emerging talent and positioning Nigeria as a hub for athletics on the continent. Onyinye Ikenna-Emeka, Chief Marketing Officer of MTN Nigeria emphasised the importance of the Flag Run. “This is more than just a relay. It’s an opportunity to celebrate Lagos, its people, and its culture while showcasing the next generation of champions. The athletes won’t just be running; they’ll be bringing the city to life through sports.” The MTN Champs Continental Relays, taking place from April 9 to 12, will be open to the public and will feature track and field events, special guest appearances, music, and prizes for early attendees. Lagos residents are encouraged to attend and cheer on the athletes as they compete for top honours. The flag run will provide a unique opportunity for athletes to immerse themselves in the city’s culture while demonstrating their abilities on the road. This symbolic start to the MTN Champs Continental Relays will set the tone for a competitive athletics showcase.

Read More

Teenager Mensik Denies Djokovic 100th Title in Miami

Czech teenager Jakub Mensik beat childhood idol Novak Djokovic to win the Miami Open, having come close to withdrawing with a knee injury hours before his first-round match. Mensik, 19, went to the referee’s room to announce his withdrawal before his opener against Roberto Bautista Agut on 20 March, but the official was out for lunch. He then went to the physiotherapist to ask them to fill in paperwork confirming his withdrawal, but was persuaded to stay on. “I couldn’t walk, I couldn’t run,” he said. “I started to treat it, started to take painkillers. Nothing was helping. “I was visiting the referee’s office to say ‘guys, I’m pulling out’, but he was having lunch.” Mensik went to a physiotherapist, who deemed the injury not to be serious and began treatment to enable him to compete. “After a few minutes I started to feel a little relief,” said Mensik, who has risen to a career-high 24th in the world rankings. “I took different painkillers, which helped a little bit. I was like, ‘OK, let’s try it. It’s like 30 minutes before the match. I can walk. I can run. Let’s see’. “Somehow I won the first round and then I had one day off, which of course, for my knee was much better. Day by day the knee was getting better and with that also my game.” Mensik dropped just two sets on his run to the final, which included victories over British number one Jack Draper and fourth seed Taylor Fritz. He clinched a first ATP Tour title with a 7-6 (7-4) 7-6 (7-4) win over Serbia’s Djokovic on a sticky, humid night in Florida. Djokovic, a 24-time Grand Slam champion, had been bidding to become just the third man in the Open era to win 100 singles titles. However, the 37-year-old’s wait will go on after his loss to Mensik, who was just 10 months old when Djokovic won his first title in 2006. Mensik is the ninth-youngest Masters 1000 champion and the third-youngest in Miami after Carlos Alcaraz and Rafael Nadal. He is another rising star in the men’s game, possessing a huge serve and a thumping backhand that has taken him inside the world’s top 50. Djokovic invited Mensik to practice with him after the 2022 Australian Open when he was still a junior, and Mensik said in his winner’s speech that Djokovic was “the reason I am here”. He said: “It’s just crazy and unbelievable what he’s achieving in this sport during long period of the time. “Imagine me in 20 years from now, when I will be 39, playing the finals? I hope so, but it’s crazy to think about it like this.” Fourth seed Djokovic warmly congratulated Mensik at the end of the match and said afterwards: “It hurts me to admit it but you were better. “I wish you the best of luck. Maybe you’ll let me win one of the next times we play.”

Read More

Actress Dupe Jaiyesimi Gets Gift Car on Mother’s Day

Actress Biola Adebayo has surprised her senior colleague, Dupe Jaiyesimi, with a car gift to celebrate Mother’s Day. The gesture comes weeks after Dupe opened up about her struggles with motherhood during an interview with Biola. The actress had expressed deep sorrow over not having children to celebrate her 60th birthday with her. She recounted a past pregnancy that ended due to an ectopic condition, which led to complications. Following the loss, her marriage hit the rocks after her husband brought another woman into their home—one who was expecting his child. This situation forced Dupe to walk away from the marriage, and she has remained single ever since. In her pursuit of motherhood, Dupe attempted in vitro fertilization (IVF) twice, both of which failed. She also considered adoption but was discouraged by her late mother. In a video shared on Instagram on Sunday, Biola Adebayo surprised Dupe with the car gift, bringing the actress to tears. Singers were also seen performing motherly songs before Biola offered prayers for her. Sharing the video, Biola wrote: “HAPPY MOTHER’S DAY MUMMY @dupe_jayesimi. “To everyone that made this dream a reality in just a few days, I say a very THANK YOU TO YOU ALL. To all the Talk-To-B supporters, I’m very grateful for the support, I couldn’t have done this without you all. “I’m so happy we could put a big smile on her face.”

Read More

BAL: Rivers Hoopers Hit Lagos to Intensify Preparation

Rivers Hoopers are in Lagos to continue their preparation for the fifth season of the Basketball Africa League. Hoopers will utilize the upcoming days by playing some friendly games. The team will depart Lagos for Rabat on Wednesday, 2 April. Meanwhile, the Permanent Secretary of the Rivers State Ministry of Sports, Kelvin Nweke, hosted the team for lunch just before their departure to Lagos on Sunday. Nweke reassured the team that they would receive continuous support from the Rivers State Government. He encouraged the team to surpass their third place finish in last season’s BAL. “On behalf of the ministry and the state government. We are promising you the best of support. “We are expecting you to go a step forward from last year’s result. Success is not easy. It is easy to get to the top but staying at the top is more difficult.” Rivers Hoopers will open their campaign this season against Stade Malien on Saturday, 5 April at the Prince Moulay Abdellah Sports Complex Rabat, Morocco.

Read More
Tinubu Reveals He Threatened to Sack Wike if His Policies Didn't Align with APC

Tinubu Reveals He Threatened to Sack Wike if His Policies Didn’t Align with APC

President Bola Ahmed Tinubu has revealed that he once threatened to dismiss Nyesom Wike, the former governor of Rivers State, if his policies failed to align with the interests of the All Progressives Congress (APC). In a recent statement, Tinubu shared that his decision was based on ensuring that the policies of the Rivers State government reflected the broader goals of the ruling party. The statement highlighted the tough stance Tinubu took during his interactions with Wike to ensure party unity and the successful implementation of APC-led policies across the nation. While addressing a gathering, the president clarified that this was part of his leadership style to ensure that party policies were consistently implemented at all levels of government. He added that political decisions often require tough choices, but they are necessary for the progress of the party and the nation. Wike, who is now serving as the Minister of the Federal Capital Territory (FCT), has been known for his influential role in Nigerian politics, particularly within the People’s Democratic Party (PDP), but his recent alliance with the APC has raised eyebrows within political circles.

Read More
Senate Showdown: The Recall Battle of Natasha Akpoti-Uduaghan

Senate Showdown: The Recall Battle of Natasha Akpoti-Uduaghan

Few political observers are surprised by how an in-chamber disagreement over Senate seat rearrangements has escalated into a recall process against Senator Natasha Akpoti Uduaghan, along with allegations of sexual harassment against Senate President Godswill Akpabio. Internationally, this situation is increasingly seen as an orchestrated effort to deny a woman justice for speaking out. The controversy began when the Kogi Central Senator protested a perceived breach of her privileges after her seat was changed without prior notice. She alleged that this move was part of a broader scheme to undermine her legislative effectiveness and deny her constituents proper representation. Frustrated, she voiced her concerns on a radio station in Abuja and later on television, where she accused Senate President Akpabio of making sexual advances toward her. Akpabio swiftly denied the allegations, while his wife, Nnoma, escalated matters by filing a defamation lawsuit against Natasha in the Federal High Court. In response to Natasha’s actions, the Senate revisited the events of February 20 and the controversy surrounding the seat rearrangement. The result was a six-month suspension for Natasha. Claiming injustice and lack of due process, she sought international attention by allegedly attending a meeting of the Inter-Parliamentary Union (IPU) in New York, where she lodged her complaint against Akpabio. However, the Senate viewed her presence at the IPU meeting as a violation of protocol. Senator Jimoh Ibrahim, Chairman of the Senate Committee on Inter-Parliamentary Affairs, stated that Natasha had no official authorization to attend or speak at the session. He further explained that the IPU only considers petitions from member states, not individuals, rendering Natasha’s complaint baseless in that forum. As tensions mounted, Natasha claimed the Senate was planning to arrest her upon her return to Nigeria. While the veracity of this claim remains uncertain, she has taken her story to international media outlets such as Sky News and the British Television Network, where she emotionally recounted her allegations against Akpabio. Meanwhile, back home, discontent within Natasha’s constituency grew. Reports surfaced that her constituents were gathering voter signatures to initiate a recall process. While some dismissed the move as unrealistic, others argued that Natasha needed support, not a recall, during this tumultuous period. Despite conspiracy theories surrounding the process, the Independent National Electoral Commission (INEC) confirmed receiving over 250,000 signatures from Natasha’s constituents and formally notified her of the recall attempt. Through her lawyer, Victor Giwa, Natasha accused INEC of bias, arguing that the commission had initially deemed the petition defective due to missing contact information and other formalities but later chose to act on it. An investigation revealed sharp divisions among her supporters. While Natasha previously enjoyed broad support within her constituency, many now appear to have distanced themselves from her due to the fallout from her confrontation with the Senate. Who is Natasha? Natasha Akpoti-Uduaghan was relatively unknown in Kogi Central during her childhood. She returned in 2000 to undertake philanthropic projects before entering politics. According to retired schoolteacher Mrs. Fati Amodu, Natasha was academically gifted but not widely recognized beyond her immediate community. To her loyal supporters, she embodies resilience and progress. They see her as following in the footsteps of her late father, Dr. Jimoh Abdul Akpoti, who was known for his medical practice and community service. They admire her as a role model for overcoming adversity and breaking barriers for women in politics. Her critics, however, see her as overly ambitious, lacking diplomatic finesse, and unable to navigate political challenges maturely. Criticism of her personal life has also surfaced, with detractors pointing to her two failed marriages. Supporters counter that divorce is common and should not define her. Mr. Ganiyu Aliyu, a constituent, noted that Natasha’s first marriage was to Oseni Saliu, a cousin of Bishop Haruna Yakubu, but ended due to alleged abuse. Her second marriage to Saka Babamba also ended under undisclosed circumstances. She is now married to High Chief Emmanuel Oritsejolomi Uduaghan, a union that many see as a testament to her resilience. Public opinion remains divided. Some argue that Natasha has been an exceptional representative and that her recall would be unjust. Others believe the controversy surrounding her has become too distracting and that her time in the Senate should come to an end. At her family home in Obeiba-Ihima, life goes on as usual. A close relative remarked, “Our daughter has tried. If they want to remove her, let her come back home. God knows everything, and our people know she has been good to them.” The debate about Natasha’s fate has shifted from private discussions to public discourse, with both sides expressing their views freely on social and traditional media. One of her constituents, Victor Daniel, posted on Facebook, “I’m deeply sentimental about Natasha. She’s not just my Senator – she’s from my village, and we come from the same clan.” Whether Natasha’s political career survives this storm remains to be seen. For now, she continues to fight against what she perceives as injustice, while her critics push forward with efforts to see her recalled from the Senate.

Read More

Sylvester Stallone: I Was Almost Beaten to Death by Heavyweight

Sylvester Stallone has been in more boxing scrapes than most actors due to his Rocky Balboa days. A sparring session with a heavyweight boxer was no different. Stallone starkly revealed that hard-hitting Earnie Shavers gave him a beatdown when the pair sparred in the 1970s. Shavers, who died in September 2022 after an illness, had one of the biggest punches in the entire sport. George Foreman famously rated Shavers as the hardest-hitting top-division operator of all time. The slugger shared the ring with multiple heavyweight champions, including a loss to Muhammad Ali in 1977. The Ali defeat came a year after Stallone played the title character in the United States smash hit Rocky. Larry Holmes was another of the world champions who beat Shavers. However, Shavers proved his power when he took out Ken Norton in the first round in a career-best victory. During a chat show appearance in New York, Hollywood legend Stallone spoke to UK journalist Jonathan Ross and guests via Zoom. He spoke of sparring with boxing legends in several preparations for his Rocky movie franchise. Those sessions often led to an injury. “I sparred with [Muhammad] Ali, and Joe Fraser gave me eleven stitches. That was in about two seconds,” Stallone told Ross. “I was thinking about using him [Frazier] instead of Mr. T in Rocky III. I said, ‘Let me use a real fighter.’ That’s not a good idea.” On sharing the ring with some of the most dangerous heavyweights that ever laced up gloves, Stallone added: “They don’t know how to stop pulling their punches. That’s the whole point. They think I’ll follow through. “Earnie Shavers literally almost beat me to death without trying. [He was] wearing 20-ounce gloves. Imagine if he was angry!” It’s a well-known fact that Stallone walked away from the latest instalment of the Rocky spin-off franchise “Creed.” – Michael B. Jordan directed for the first time, and Stallone wanted the actor to be the sole focus of production. Fans of the beloved series may never see Rocky Balboa on the silver screen again, as Stallone has sworn the character off the screen.

Read More

Middlesbrough boss Carrick backs Iheanacho to keep scoring

Michael Carrick has backed Kelechi Iheanacho to build on his first goal for Middlesbrough and boost the push for a Sky Bet Championship play-off place. Boro moved level on points with sixth-placed West Brom and two points shy of Coventry in fifth after coming from behind to beat Oxford 2-1. Iheanacho’s strike in the 48th minute, when he powered in Samuel Illing-Junior’s cross, cancelled out Michal Helik’s opener for Oxford seven minutes before the break. But Iling-Junior, who was a menace throughout on the left for Middlesbrough, delivered another low cross into the area with 10 minutes left for defender Neto Borges to flick a brilliant finish into the net. That proved enough to earn an important win with just seven matches remaining, turning around a game which had seen Boro booed off at the end of the first half. And former Leicester forward Iheanacho is up and running, having scored for the first time since moving from Sevilla in January on loan. Boro boss Carrick said: “He is happy. We are trying to keep the smile off Neto’s face as much as anything! He was delighted too. “But Kel knows it. He has played at a level, and goals make you feel a bit better, naturally. “I wasn’t concerned, I knew he would score and hopefully he has got more in him, I am sure he has. It was a massive goal for us. “I thought it was a bit slow, a bit sticky first half. Credit to them, they started well. They put us under pressure with long balls, long throws, counter attacks, and we were slow. “I liked how we responded and we spoke about being positive. There is going to be a hell of a lot more ups and downs before the end of the season. We can’t let it affect us. We have to stay positive with it.”

Read More