Our Reporters

Ogun to release 100 CNG Buses -Abiodun

The Governor, Prince Dapo Abiodun has announced that his administration would make available 100 brand new 18-seater Compressed Natural Gas (CNG) buses for the use of transporters in the state. The Governor, who made this known in his office at Oke-Mosan, Abeokuta on Monday, also said that the Federal Government would make available 20 CNG-enabled buses and 500 conversion kits to the state government during the week. Governor Abiodun disclosed this at a meeting with transport unions on how to ensure fair transportation pricing in the state. Abiodun also announced the inauguration of an enforcement committee, comprising the State Police Commissioner, his counterpart in the Department of State Security Service (DSS), the Traffic Compliance Agency (TRACE), and heads of transport unions, as well as representatives from the Ministries of Transportation and Trade and Investment. He said that the meeting was called because of events over the last week, including fuel scarcity, which is already abating, and the associated increase in the pump price of the product. Abiodun noted that there has always been an astronomical rise in transport fares anytime there is a slight adjustment in the pump prices of fuel. According to him, the federal government, led by President Bola Ahmed Tinubu, is not unmindful of the impact of the recent hike in the pump price, adding that the government is putting in place measures to lessen the impact on the people. “The plans that we have as a state government, our plans are to, in the first instance, make 100 buses—100 18-seater buses—available to our transport unions. These will be 100 brand new CNG buses, and these buses will be brand buses, not no-name buses. We are talking about Toyota Hiace buses that we will give to you under a purchase agreement. “We will make them available to you, and you can pay in installments over a period of time. You have demonstrated commitment and seriousness, and we are confident that when we give you these buses, you will utilize them responsibly and pay back on time. “The Federal Government has also started an Energy Transition Program through the Presidential CNG initiative, and I can confirm to you that the Presidency has confirmed that they are making 20 buses available to Ogun State in the first instance—20 CNG buses. We will be getting those buses in the next week. “They are also making 500 CNG conversion kits available to Ogun State for the immediate conversion of vehicles to CNG-enabled. “I have been assured that the conversion kits, which is the first batch of 500, will reach us in the next five days. You know that we have a conversion center in Ogun State. We are a major conversion center for the Southwest, and we will begin the conversion of vehicles in accordance with how we agree in terms of scheduling who will come first and what vehicles we will begin to convert,” he said. Governor Abiodun, while disclosing that the Federal Government is gradually leaving the business of sales and distribution of petroleum products to the private sector, noted that there was no need for transporters to increase transport fares by over 1000% when the price of PMS was just increased by 30%. “We’ve seen in the past that when there is a change in pump prices by maybe 10%, we have noticed that our transporters also naturally increase fares because the cost of their operational equipment—be it motorcycles, tricycles, trucks, or buses—is impacted. “What we’ve noticed is that when there is a change in the pricing of petroleum products by 10% to 20%, the impact that we see play out at times is like 2000%, and we want to dialogue to ensure the people are not stretched. “The change in price is about 25% or 30%, so if pump prices have changed by like 25% to 30%, we should not see a difference in transport fares that is more than 25% or 30%,” he said.

Read More

EFCC boss, Olukayode tasks Auditors on due diligence

The Executive Chairman of the Economic and Financial Crimes Commission, EFCC, Mr. Ola Olukoyede has charged auditors across the country to always ensure due diligence and compliance in their operations. According to him, auditors are professional gate-keepers trained to keep watch over every system in order to achieve organizational goals through appropriate control measures. The EFCC’s boss spoke in Abuja  at the weekend while receiving a team from the Institute of Internal Auditors, IIA, that came to the Commission’s headquarters on a Courtesy Visit. The team, led by Ibrahim A. Anas, applauded Olukoyede on his achievements since he resumed office. Speaking through the Director, Internal Audit, Commander of the EFCC, CE Idowu Oluwole-Apejoye, Olukoyede pointed out that auditors are crucial in preventing corruption and ensuring that systems work for the good of all. “Auditors are crucial in ensuring that our systems are working effectively. They must be diligent in their work to prevent corruption and ensure that our policies are followed,” he  said. Affirming the Chairman’s commitment to due diligence, she stressed that, “The Executive Chairman is a compliance person who ensures due diligence and compliance in every aspect of what he does.” Director of Finance and Accounts, CE Ahmed Pate, also emphasized the importance of auditors in ensuring financial transparency. “Auditors play a critical role in ensuring that our financial systems are transparent and accountable. We must ensure that our financial reports are accurate and reliable.” Pate further advised the Institute to key into the national anti-corruption strategy of the Federal government of Nigeria.  “You have members across the Federation in both government and private sectors, so ensure your members join by becoming whistleblowers in their various organizations.” Also speaking, the Chief of Staff to the Executive Chairman, CE Michael Nzekwe, emphasized the importance of auditors in ensuring that systems work for the good of all. “Any organization that wants to succeed must get it right from their account and audit. You are good, but if the audit is in a mess, you are finished.” Earlier, Anas called on EFCC’s internal auditors to join the Institute to enhance their performance in the Commission, promising that his Institute would provide standard guidelines for internal audit. “We have heard over time the Chairman saying that the cost of investigation is on the high side. As internal auditors, we are expected to put some control measures before those crimes actually take place”,  he said.

Read More

Niger dents Ghana’s AFCON 2025 hope 

Ghana managed a point against Niger in the 2025 Africa Cup of Nations qualifier after throwing away a first half lead to draw 1-1 with the Menas at the Municipal Stadium in Berkane, Morocco. Alidu Seidu put Ghana ahead just before the half-time whistle but Niger equalised through Oumar Sako to claim a point. Otto Addo made two changes to the starting line-up for the game as Majeed Ashimeru and Inaki Williams took the place of Elisha Owusu and Jordan Ayew. The backline was unchanged – Tariq Lamptey, Alidu Seidu played as full backs with Salisu Mohammed and Abdul Mumin partnering in central defense. Captain Thomas Partey led from the heart of the pitch alongside Majeed Ashimreu and Mohammed Kudus while Abdul Fatawu Issahaku, Antoine Semenyo and Inaki Williams operate in the front three. The Black Stars took the lead in the 35th minute through an unlikely source after Alidu Seidu smashed home from 35 yards for the opening goal. Ghana went into the break with a slim margin and came from the break looking to add to the tally – but Otto Addo’s side failed to create any clear-cut chances and were ultimately punished by Oumar Sako in the 81st minute following a goalmouth melee. The introduction of Jordan Ayew and Brandon Thomas-Asante added very little to Ghana’s attacking threat as Niger held on for a draw. Ghana remain winless in Group F of the 2025 AFCON qualifiers after one draw and one loss in their two games in Group F.

Read More

Mikel admits role in Osimhen’s transfer

John Obi Mikel has revealed he played a key role in trying to get Victor Osimhen to Chelsea. The Napoli and Nigeria striker was heavily linked to the goal-shy Premier League side for much of the summer transfer window, but ended up joining Galatasaray on loan. Given Osimhen’s role in ending Napoli’s 33-year wait for a league title as Serie A’s top scorer in the 2022/23 campaign, it seemed rather remarkable that he landed in the Turkish Super Lig which is ranked as the tenth best in Europe. But as former Blue Mikel revealed, it wasn’t for the want of trying from either Chelsea or Osimhen. “I mean, a lot happened, and I think it’s an open secret that I was involved in the deal,” he said on his Obi One Podcast. “I was involved in trying to make sure that I get Victor to the club. A lot happened, it was very interesting, because I think I hear a lot of people saying this and saying that about Victor and and how greedy he is and stuff like that. “I just want to categorically say it here that I know the kid since from the very first day he joined the national team, my relationship with him has been very, very good. And since then we’ve kept in contact and been friends. “I know what he’s capable of, and I just want to say that is absolutely not true. Victor is not a greedy boy. He only wants to get what he deserves. And that’s not a problem. “He wasn’t asking for all that bulls*** [£500,000 per-week]. I know what happened. I was there, in the midst of everything. So I can tell everybody that that is definitely not true. “He’s not a greedy boy, he just wants to play football and get what he deserves, a player knowing what he’s worth and asking to be paid what he’s worth is not a problem.” Osimhen was heavily-linked to both Chelsea and Saudi Pro League side Al Ahli during the final days of the transfer window, and talkSPORT understands that he rejected the latter approach. Meanwhile, personal terms are understood to have held things up for the Blues, something Mikel alluded to while suggesting that the deal may not be over. “We were very very close to getting this deal done but there were slight issues and problems that we couldn’t get over the line,” Mikel said. “Of course the medical couldn’t be done even if the deal got done. “I know exactly where we stopped and exactly where we are with the deal, if eventually in January we have to pick it up again I know exactly where we are and where we have to start from. “I was the guy right in the middle of everything and there were a couple of days where I didn’t sleep.”

Read More

Eguavoen: Super Eagles can’t be intimidated by any team 

Augustine Eguavoen started his fourth stint with the Super Eagles on a fabulous note, with the three-time African kings decimating Benin Republic’s Cheetahs 3-0 in Uyo on Saturday. The 58-year-old intends to continue along the win-and-smile path when Nigeria confront Rwanda at the Amahoro National Stadium, Kigali on Tuesday afternoon. “We play to win all the time, because Nigerians expect their team to win all the time. And because we have a team with great personnel, we play every team with respect but we don’t get intimidated by any. “Our objective for Tuesday’s game is the three points.” Team captain William Ekong, speaking at the pre-match post conference at the Amahoro Stadium on Monday, just before the Eagles’ official training, echoed the tactician: “We are here for a purpose. With Coach Eguavoen, who has coached the team before, we all feel like a family. We will play for each other and go for the three points that will establish us at the top of the table.” Table-toppers Nigeria, still basking in the great-feel of their 3-0 defeat of the Cheetahs, take on the Amavubi (Wasps) at the refurbished 45,000-capacity facility in the heart of Kigali in a Matchday 2 encounter of the 2025 Africa Cup of Nations qualifying campaign, from 2pm Nigeria time. Tuesday’s encounter is the first of four battles between the Eagles and the Amavubi in the next 12 months, with the two teams to clash in November in Nigeria in the final round of this qualifying race, and then do a home-and-away in the 2025 FIFA World Cup race with the Wasps also hosting Nigeria first in March next year. Coach Torsten Spittler, a German, has roused the country of 13 million people to believe that the Amavubi can torpedo Nigeria, Libya and Benin Republic, and earn their first ticket to the Africa Cup of Nations since 2004. He flaunts an impressive record though, having led the team to win three of their last eight matches, drawing four and losing one. Spittler intends to set defenders Claude Niyomugabo, Fitina Omborenga, Ange Mutsinzi, Jean Claude Niyomugabo and Christian Ishimwe against Nigeria’s twin-terrors Ademola Lookman and Victor Osimhen, who both concocted the three goals that deflated the Cheetahs in Uyo. In the midfield, Olivier Niyonzima, Bonheur Mugisha and Jean Bosco Rubineka can prove a handful on their day, and at the fore, Spittler has implicit confidence in Gilbert Mugisha, Bienvenu Mugenzi and Innocent Nshuti, who got the team’s equalizer against Libya in Tripoli last week. Eguavoen confirmed on Monday that all 23 players in the Nigeria team abode at the Radisson Blu are fit and ready, meaning that goalkeeper Stanley Nwabali should be expected to start, alongside captain Ekong, Semi Ajayi and Calvin Bassey at the heart of defence, while Olaoluwa Aina and Bruno Onyemaechi will be wingbacks. Wilfred Ndidi will possibly anchor the midfield that will have Alex Iwobi or Fisayo Dele-Bashiru, while Ademola Lookman, Victor Boniface and Samuel Chukwueze could still start at the fore.

Read More

Colombia 2024: Falconets spank Venezuela, hit Round of 16

Goals by Amina Bello, Chiamaka Okwuchukwu, Flourish Sabastine and substitute Joy Igbokwe against Venezuela in Cali on Saturday took two-time silver medallists Nigeria to the Round of 16 of the ongoing FIFA U20 Women’s World Cup. Bello guided home a cut-back by the irrepressible Okwuchukwu for the first goal against the South Americans in the 16th minute, before Okwuchukwu turned goalscorer in the 28th minute when she met a corner kick with a bullet header to make it 2-0 for Nigeria. Okwuchukwu, who scored Nigeria’s only goal in their 1-3 loss to Germany on Wednesday night, was at it again in added time of the first half, when she assisted Flourish Sabastine with a pull-out that the latter converted to put daylight between both countries. Substitute Joy Igbokwe made it four, four minutes into added time, with the result effectively steering the Falconets to the Round of 16 of the competition. Victory earned the Falconets six points and a plus three goals difference in their group D campaign, with their Round of 16 game to come up in Bogota on Thursday.

Read More

Morocco 2025 qualifier: Ademola Lookman wins Man of the Match award

Ballon d’Or Player of the Year nominee Ademola Lookman has emerged the Man of the Match winner in Super Eagles three nill victory over The Cheetahs of Benin Republic.  The Atalanta of Italy playmaker struck shortly before half time, to the Abuja fans into frenzy.  Lookman also compounded the woes of the Beninoise with a header in the 83rd minute.  The pacy player’s efforts put Nigeria to top Group D with three points ahead of Libya, Rwanda who are on one point respectively, while Benin Republic are fourth place with no point. 

Read More

Ogun LGA Elections: COYOF drums support for Delu

The Coalition of Ogun Youth Forum (COYOF) has reassured of their unalloyed support for Honourable Babatunde Adeluola ahead of Abeokuta South Local Government Chairmanship poll.  According to the group, “Abeokuta South Local Government as one of the premier Councils in the country deserves no less but an astute, a technocrat and versatile man in charge.  “No one can fill this void than the man of the people, Babatunde Adeluola (Delu).  “Having served for decades as a financial expert, Delu will be prudent with public funds.  “Our incoming chairman is youthful, vibrant, energetic, listening and shall be useful for everyone, especially the youths in the LGA.  “Let’s join hands and support Delu to achieve great dreams for our beloved Local Government.  “Our iconic local government deserves the best brain and no other than Delu.  “Delu for sure!!! “Vote DELU, Vote Progress!,” the group stated.  Adeluola, a financial expert with several years of experience, is the candidate of the All Progressive Congress. 

Read More