Police Confirm Abduction Of 160 Worshippers In Kaduna Church Attack

The Nigeria Police Force has confirmed that 160 worshippers were abducted from Kurmin Wali, a remote community in Kajuru Local Government Area of Kaduna State, following the completion of security verification into reports that initially produced conflicting accounts. Gunmen were reported to have attacked two churches in the community on Sunday while worship services were ongoing, forcing more than 160 worshippers away from the premises. The figures, first disclosed by church officials, were initially treated with caution by security agencies pending confirmation. Chairman of the Christian Association of Nigeria in northern Nigeria, Reverend Joseph Hayab, said the attackers struck during church services, blocked entry and exit points, and compelled worshippers to move into surrounding bush areas. The incident generated controversy earlier on Monday when the Kaduna State Commissioner of Police, Muhammad Rabiu, dismissed reports of abductions from churches in Kajuru as “mere falsehoods which is being peddled by conflict entrepreneurs who want to cause chaos.” Later in the day, the Nigeria Police Force issued an official statement acknowledging public concern and explaining the delay in confirming the incident. Force spokesperson, Benjamin Hundeyin, said, “The Nigeria Police Force acknowledges the deep concern generated by reports of an abduction incident at Kurmin Wali, a remote community in the Kajuru Local Government Area of Kaduna State.” “The Force understands the fear and anxiety such reports cause to families, residents, and the general public, and treats the safety of every citizen as a matter of utmost priority.” Hundeyin explained that confusion arose after differing accounts emerged during a Kaduna State Security Council meeting held at the Government House. “During the meeting at the Government House, Kaduna, some individuals from the affected local government area disputed the report, which had earlier been confirmed by the police, and described it as false,” he said. “This created uncertainty and reinforced the need for caution and thorough verification by the police and other security agencies before making conclusive public statements on such a sensitive matter.” Addressing the earlier remarks by the state police commissioner, Hundeyin stated, “Those remarks, which have since been widely misinterpreted, were not a denial of the incident but a measured response pending confirmation of details from the field, including the identities and number of those affected.” He added, “Subsequent verification from operational units and intelligence sources has confirmed that the incident did occur.” Following the confirmation, Hundeyin said the police activated joint security operations with other agencies, aimed at rescuing the victims and stabilising the area. “The Nigeria Police Force therefore activated coordinated security operations, working closely with other security agencies, with a clear focus on locating and safely rescuing the victims and restoring calm to the area.” He also disclosed that the Inspector-General of Police, Kayode Egbetokun, ordered “the full deployment of critical operational and intelligence assets to Kajuru and surrounding communities.” According to Hundeyin, the response includes “deployment of tactical units as well as intensified patrols already in place, targeted search-and-rescue operations, and proactive measures to protect lives and property.” He said security operations remain ongoing and urged the public and media to rely on official updates, warning against “speculation or sensational reporting that could jeopardise ongoing operations or heighten public anxiety.”

Read More

I’m Bigger Than Fela – Wizkid Continues to Fire at Seun Kuti Over Fans Comparing Him to Fela

Nigerian music superstar Wizkid has escalated his online clash with Seun Kuti following the Afrobeat singer’s repeated criticism of fans who compare Wizkid to his legendary father, Fela Kuti. On Instagram, Wizkid targeted Seun directly, writing: “Pussy boy @bigbirdkuti ok I big pass your papa!! Wetin u one do? Fool at 40!” The post mocked Seun’s repeated attacks and suggested Wizkid sees himself as surpassing even Fela, fueling reactions across social media. He then took the feud to X (formerly Twitter), posting: “Everyday Wizkid! I fuck ur ugly wife ? Wetin!” and “Fela fight for freedom this fool Dey fight fc! Oloshi Omo ale !” In his posts, Wizkid contrasted Fela’s historic activism with what he described as Seun’s focus on criticizing fans, portraying the feud as trivial compared to the elder Kuti’s legacy. The spat began after Seun publicly condemned comparisons between Wizkid and Fela, saying they disrespected the late Afrobeat icon’s cultural contributions. Seun argued that such comparisons, often made online, were ignorant and unfair to his father’s legacy. Wizkid’s aggressive response has sparked widespread debate on social media, with fans and critics divided over respect, legacy, and the often intense culture surrounding Nigerian music fandom.

Read More

Richard Mills Officially Leaves Nigeria As US Ambassador Amid Global Envoy Recall

Richard Mills has officially stepped down as United States ambassador to Nigeria following a global recall of US envoys by President Donald Trump. The US mission in Nigeria announced on Tuesday that Mills’ final day in office was Friday. He had been confirmed as ambassador in May 2024, a position normally held for three to four years. The recall, part of a broader diplomatic reshuffle in December, affected more than two dozen countries, with African nations among the most impacted. Mills’ departure comes amid strained US-Nigeria relations over visa disputes and security issues, even as both nations sought to strengthen bilateral cooperation. State Department officials emphasized that recalled ambassadors would retain their foreign service positions and could return to Washington for other assignments if they wished. The mission also stated that Keith Heffern, the current deputy chief of mission, will serve as charge d’affaires in Nigeria until further notice.

Read More

VeryDarkMan Challenges BLord’s Ratel Trademark Claim, Demands Certificate Proof

Social media commentator VeryDarkMan (VDM) has slammed businessman BLord over his claim to have trademarked the name Ratel, calling it a publicity stunt and empty threats. The controversy erupted after BLord warned VDM to stop using the name, asserting that he held full ownership of the brand and that any usage would require his approval. Responding on his Instagram page, VDM dismissed the claim and challenged BLord to provide official documentation. “First things first, to show you how stupid a lot of you are and how dumb you are. Where is the certificate? Where is your acceptance letter?” he wrote. VDM expressed disbelief that someone well-versed in advertising and branding would make such a serious claim without proof. “I did not believe that somebody like BLord that knows about advertising, that knows about branding, will foolish himself like this,” he added. He further clarified that while three names — Ratel, The Ratel, and Ratel NG — were reportedly filed for trademark registration in September 2024, filing alone does not guarantee ownership. VDM noted that rather than harming him, the controversy has only increased Ratel’s visibility and publicity more than ever.   View this post on Instagram  

Read More

Wizkid Fires Back at Seun Kuti Over Criticism of Fans Comparing Him to Fela

Wizkid has finally fired back at Seun Kuti after the Afrobeat star repeatedly criticised his fans for comparing him to Fela Kuti. The singer shared a viral video on his X page, captioning it: “He’s embarrassing his family 😭😭😂😂.” The clip features a woman fiercely defending Wizkid’s fanbase, scolding Seun Kuti in Yoruba for repeatedly targeting the singer’s supporters. She argued that if it weren’t for Wizkid, Fela’s legacy might not be as widely remembered, noting that his fans are helping keep the legend’s name alive. Wizkid also referred to Seun as “omo baba oni pata gigan,” stressing that Fela’s legacy stands on its own. Wizkid didn’t stop at X; he also posted the video on his Instagram story. He later returned to X and reacted with a single laughing emoji (😂), triggering a wave of responses from fans and social media users. The exchange highlights ongoing debates in Nigeria’s music scene over how modern Afrobeats artists are compared to Afrobeat pioneers, with fans and critics often sharply divided on the matter. He's embarrassing his family 😭😭😂😂 pic.twitter.com/Q2mJq6lfqx — //|)ee🦁 (@Mr_Md33_) January 20, 2026

Read More

Destiny Boy’s Father Seeks Public Help Over Missing SUV After Singer’s Death

The father of late Afrobeat star Afeez Adeshina, popularly known as Destiny Boy, has appealed to the public for assistance after his son’s SUV reportedly went missing just days following the singer’s death. In a video that went viral on Tuesday, the grieving father explained that the vehicle, purchased from Lycon Autos, was allegedly returned to the dealership shortly after Destiny Boy passed away and has not been seen since. He noted that he had accompanied his son during the purchase. On the day the SUV was bought, the dealership provided a driver to deliver it to the family’s home. Destiny Boy later kept the driver for personal use, but problems arose when the driver claimed the singer owed him money and allegedly returned the SUV to the dealership without informing the family. “Nigerians, please help me. My son had a car, an SUV jeep. We went together to buy it. Lycon Autos assigned a driver to bring the car home. Later, Destiny used the driver personally. The driver said Destiny owed him money, so he took the car back to the dealership. I don’t even have the driver’s number. If the car were here, I would have gone to pick it up,” the father said. Destiny Boy, who died on Sunday at the age of 22, had been battling a long-term mysterious illness described by his mother as “Ogu oru,” which frequently triggered seizures, she revealed in an interview on Monday. The family is now appealing to anyone with information about the vehicle to come forward and help recover it.

Read More

Chief Opral Benson, Yeye Oge of Lagos, Declared Missing Since January 13

Chief Opral Benson, popularly known as Yeye Oge of Lagos, has been declared missing by her family. The development was made public in a Facebook post shared by Adegbenro Adebanjo, who relayed the family’s distress over her disappearance. According to the statement, Mama Opral Benson has been missing since Tuesday, January 13, 2026, and has not returned home since then. “CHIEF OPRAL BENSON, YEYE OGE OF LAGOS IS MISSING – FAMILY,” the post read. “The family reports that Mama Opral Benson has been missing since Tuesday, January 13, 2026. She has not returned home and her current whereabouts are unknown. Anyone who has seen her, or has any information, no matter how small, is urged to contact us immediately.” The family described the situation as urgent and appealed to the public for help in locating her. “Call 08037039214. Alternatively, please report to the nearest police station. This is time-sensitive. Please share immediately.” Her disappearance has sparked concern among family members and the wider public, with calls for increased awareness and cooperation to help ensure her safe return.

Read More

Tunji-Ojo Condemns Passport Processing Delays During Surprise Visit To Immigration Office

Minister of Interior Olubunmi Tunji-Ojo carried out a surprise inspection of the Nigerian Immigration Service passport office in Gwagwalada, Abuja, on Tuesday, where he openly condemned delays in passport processing and cautioned applicants against making unofficial payments. During the visit, the minister toured the VIP and Children’s section and held direct conversations with immigration officials and applicants. He questioned why applicants were still waiting hours after the office was expected to be fully operational. “I don’t want to hear that you are collecting money for diesel or paper. Nigerians have paid for their passports completely. Serve them diligently,” Tunji-Ojo said. He expressed dissatisfaction that only a small number of applicants had been attended to well into the day, despite the section being designed to provide faster services. “So it means that by 9:30am, I expect to see at least one or two applicants here. Because I can see some people waiting downstairs, and our responsibility is to be efficient,” he said. The minister further queried officials on the slow pace of enrolment and biometric capturing, noting that each applicant should be processed within minutes. “How long does it take to do an enrolment? Three minutes. So three times seven, that is twenty-one minutes,” he stated. Immigration officers disclosed that although the office was scheduled to begin operations by 8am, activities only commenced around 9am after the generator was switched on. “We are supposed to open by eight,” an official said, explaining that power was restored after applicants had already arrived. Tunji-Ojo criticised the practice of completing enrolment for all applicants before starting biometric capturing, insisting both processes should run at the same time to reduce waiting periods. “It doesn’t make sense to me. People are there waiting. Some of these people still need to go to work. Some of these people have other things to do,” he said. “So why must you wait until you enrol everybody before you do capturing?” he added. Describing the situation as unacceptable, the minister said delays undermined effective service delivery. “You are wasting people’s precious time. Time is money. Time is expensive. It is unacceptable,” he said. He also faulted the underuse of the VIP and Children’s section, noting that applicants waiting in other areas could have been redirected to ease congestion. “It will not cost you anything if you use this place for them,” Tunji-Ojo said. The minister concluded by stressing that immigration officers must uphold efficiency and fairness in service delivery. “Nigeria has no VIP. When you wear this uniform, you wear a uniform of sacrifice. You are here to work for the people,” he said. Interior minister, Hon. Olubunmi Tunji-Ojo, paid an unscheduled visit to the Nigeria Immigration Service office, Gwagalada, Abuja. pic.twitter.com/dkk2bU954g — Elelu Ayoola (@EleluAyoola) January 20, 2026

Read More