Spain Set to Host 2030 World Cup Final

Spanish Football Federation (RFEF) President Rafael Louzan has said that Spain will stage the final of the 2030 World Cup, which will be co-hosted by Spain, Portugal and Morocco. Morocco wants to stage the game in Casablanca at the Grand Stade Hassan II, a huge stadium currently under construction north of the city. “Spain has proven its organisational capacity over many years. It will be the leader of the 2030 World Cup and the final of that World Cup will be held here,” Louzan said late on Monday (local time) at an event organised by the Madrid Sports Press Association. Louzan did not say whether the match would be played at Madrid’s Santiago Bernabeu or Barcelona’s Camp Nou, the two leading candidates. Once completed in late 2028, the new stadium in Morocco is expected to hold 115,000 spectators. Morocco’s Royal Football Federation (FRMF) President Faouzi Lekjaa last year expressed his wish to see a final against Spain in Casablanca. Louzan also alluded to the challenges Morocco faced during its hosting of the last Africa Cup of Nations, including the chaotic scenes during the final between Senegal and Morocco this month. That match, which Senegal won 1-0, was overshadowed by fan disruptions and player protests that temporarily halted play. “Morocco is really undergoing a transformation in every sense, with magnificent stadiums,” Louzan said. “We must recognise what has been done well. But in the Africa Cup of Nations, we have seen scenes that damage the image of world football.” FIFA and the Portuguese and Moroccan football federations have not responded to requests for comment on the final’s location. FIFA told Reuters last year it was premature to decide the venue for the 2030 final, saying the host city for the 2026 World Cup final was revealed only two years before the tournament. World football’s ruling body has the final say on where the match will be played.   XXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXX   Former FIFA President Joins Call for U.S. World Cup Boycott Former FIFA president Sepp Blatter joined a growing call for an international boycott of the World Cup matches scheduled to take place in the U.S. this summer. That would include the 6 matches at Levi’s Stadium.   Blatter’s recommendation comes days after former FIFA reform chairman Mark Pieth suggested to a Swiss newspaper that soccer fans should avoid attending games in U.S. cities in light of Immigration and Customs Enforcement operations in the streets and political unrest. The tournament, beginning in June, is playing out in Mexico, Canada and 11 U.S. locations.   “For the fans, there’s only one piece of advice: stay away from the USA!” Blatter posted on X Monday. “I think Mark Pieth is right to question this World Cup.”   Vice presidents of the German soccer federation Oke Göttlich told a Hamburg news outet last week that it’s time for soccer fans and teams to “seriously consider” not visiting the U.S. because of the Trump administration’s foreign and domestic policies. The President has caused concern in Europe by expressing interest in acquiring the island of Greenland from Denmark and questioning NATO’s value to the U.S.   Many fans of Iran and Haiti’s soccer clubs won’t have the option of seeing their teams play live when the World Cup tournament begins in June due to a travel ban imposed by the Trump administration last summer.   Trump has expressed excitement about the World Cup coming to the U.S. since his first administration helped bring the tournament to North America by teaming up with Canada and Mexico in 2017 to make a winning bid. The President shares a warm relationship with FIFA President Gianni Infantino, who presented him with the newly invented FIFA Peace Prize in December after Trump unsuccessfully campaigned to win the Nobel Peace Prize.   He called that trophy “truly one of the great honors of my life.”   Team USA men’s squad begins its longshot campaign to win the World Cup with a June 12 match against Paraguay in Southern California. They’ve never won the tournament. Argentina is the defending champion.   The U.S. women’s team, which will compete for the Women’s World Cup in Brazil in 2027, has won its tournament four times.

Read More

Ndidi Loses Dad in Auto Crash

The Nigeria Football Federation has expressed shock and sadness over the death, in an automobile accident, of Mr. Sunday Ndidi, father of Wilfred Ndidi, captain of the senior men national football team, Super Eagles. NFF General Secretary, Dr Mohammed Sanusi said: “This is very sad. The player just gave his very best to the nation at the Africa Cup of Nations finals in Morocco where we finished with the bronze medals. He had returned to Turkey with great motivation and high hopes of helping his club to win silverware this season, and also help the Super Eagles reach new heights this year. “We are really shocked at the moment and cannot say much, but we earnestly pray for the repose of the soul of Mr. Sunday Ndidi and pray that the Almighty God will comfort our team captain, his siblings, relations and indeed all those he has left behind.” Thenff.com learnt that Mr. Sunday Ndidi tragically passed away after being hit by a car in the town of Umunede, near Agbor, Delta State.

Read More

Oladele Hands Over to New FCC Executive Chairman, Omidiran

The former Acting Chairman of the Federal Character Commission (FCC), Hon. Kayode Oladele, on Tuesday, January 27, 2026, formally handed over the affairs of the Commission to the newly appointed Executive Chairman, Hon. Ayo Hulayat Omidiran, at the Commission’s headquarters in Abuja. The handover ceremony came a few days after Hon. Omidiran was sworn in by President Bola Ahmed Tinubu last Thursday. Hon. Oladele had served as Acting Chairman since July 2, 2025, following the exit of the immediate past substantive Executive Chairman, Muheeba Farida Dankaka. In her acceptance remarks, Hon. Omidiran expressed appreciation for the opportunity to serve and commended Hon. Oladele for his leadership during his nearly seven-month tenure. “I accept this responsibility with a profound sense of honour and commitment. I sincerely appreciate Hon. Kayode Oladele for his dedication, stability, and efforts in steering the Commission over the past almost seven months,” Omidiran said. She further noted that Oladele’s stewardship ensured continuity and institutional balance within the Commission, commending the cooperation and professionalism that characterised the transition process. Assuring commissioners and management of inclusive leadership, the new Executive Chairman reaffirmed her commitment to transparency, fairness, and national cohesion. “I look forward to working closely with all commissioners and the management team to strengthen the Commission and effectively deliver on our constitutional mandate,” said Omidiran, who represented Ayedaade/Irewole/Isokan Federal Constituency in the House of Representatives from 2011 to 2019. Following the handover ceremony, Hon. Omidiran formally submitted the official handover documents to the Commission’s Verification Committee for review and documentation. The executive chairman also announced the constitution of various statutory and ad hoc committees aimed at strengthening internal processes and enhancing the overall effectiveness of the Federal Character Commission. The event was well attended by the Secretary of the Commission, Mohammed Musa, state commissioners, key stakeholders, and members of the media.

Read More

Sportivation Media Launches Online Radio Station

Sports media company, Sportivation Media, has launched Sportivation Radio, an online radio station, to deliver timely, credible, and interactive broadcast to audiences across Nigeria and beyond. The launch of the station marks a significant milestone in the company’s mission to promote sports development, storytelling, and analysis through innovative media platforms. Sportivation Radio will provide live commentary, in-depth analysis, documentaries and special features on sports personalities, game day coverage, community-driven programmes, grassroots sports coverage, and discussions from local and international scenes, including entertainment on a daily basis. Chief Executive Officer of Sportivation Media, Taiwo Ibrahim, described sportivation radio as a bold step toward reshaping sports broadcasting in Nigeria in the digital age. “Sportivation Radio was founded out of a deep passion for sports and a clear gap we identified in how sports stories are told and consumed. Too often, sports coverage focuses only on results and headlines, while the people, struggles, growth, and impact behind the games are overlooked. We created Sportivation Radio to change that narrative. “Our objective is to build a credible and inclusive sports platform that gives voice to athletes, fans, coaches, administrators, media practitioners, and young talents across all levels of sports. We aim to deliver accurate news, thoughtful analysis, and meaningful conversations that reflect the true spirit of sports and its role in society. “It is going to be a mix of Sports and entertainment programmes tailored to meet the yearnings of our esteemed listeners.” With a team of experienced broadcasters, analysts, and young media talents, Sportivation Radio aims to set new standards in sports radio programming by combining traditional broadcasting with digital-first strategies to reach a wider, younger audience. Ibrahim also stated that Sportivation Radio will focus on nurturing young media talents and creating opportunities for them in Sportscasting. Sportivation Radio is accessible on Sportivationng.com, the station’s social media platforms, such as (@ Sportivation Radio on Facebook), and other Radio apps, like Radio World and Naija Radio Portal.  

Read More

2026 ITTF World Championships: Nigeria Draws Hong Kong, Saudi Arabia, South Africa

Nigeria has been drawn alongside Hong Kong, Saudi Arabia, and South Africa in Group 15 of the ITTF World Team Table Tennis Championships Finals, set to take place in London from April 28 to May 10, 2026. The draw, held today at The Shard, marked the beginning of a historic celebration of 100 years of the World Championships. “From London to London, we have come full circle,” said ITTF President Petra Sörling. “England has hosted the World Championships on seven occasions, but returning to where it all began makes this centenary edition truly special. This event is already historic, but I am confident it will also be unforgettable.” The Quadri Aruna-led men’s team will face tough opposition from Asian giants Hong Kong, who boast some of the finest young players in the world, as well as Middle Eastern powerhouse Saudi Arabia and continental rivals South Africa. In the women’s category, Fatimo Bello will captain Nigeria in Group 11, where they will battle against Australia, Uzbekistan, and Wales. African champions Egypt, led by Omar Assar, received a favourable draw in the men’s event, facing Kazakhstan, Turkey, and Thailand. Rising star Hana Goda will lead Egypt’s women’s team against Algeria, South Africa, and Syria. Reigning champions China, winners of the last 11 editions, headline Group 1 alongside host nation England, five-time winners Sweden, and Korea Republic. France, silver medallists at the last edition, will face Japan, Germany, and Chinese Taipei in Group 2 as they bid to lift the Swaythling Cup for the first time. In the women’s competition, hosts England were drawn in Group 2 with Japan, Germany, and France, while China, 23-time Corbillon Cup winners, lead Group 1 against Korea Republic, Chinese Taipei, and Romania. The draw ceremony was attended by ITTF President and IOC Member Petra Sörling, ITTF Executive Vice President Beatrice Romanescu, World Table Tennis CEO Steve Dainton, Chair of Table Tennis International Events Richard Scruton, Table Tennis England Chair Clare Briegal MBE, Table Tennis England President and World Championship medallist Jill Parker MBE, England men’s athlete and three-time Olympian Paul Drinkhall, ITTF Nominations Committee Chair Sandra Deaton, and UK Sport Deputy Director Esther Britten MBE. The top eight seeds in each competition will contest Stage 1a at OVO Arena Wembley from May 2–3, with all teams progressing to Stage 2. Group performances will determine seedings for the knockout rounds. Stage 1b will take place at the Copper Box Arena from April 28–May 1, where 56 teams in each competition will battle for the remaining 24 places in the Main Draw. London 2026 marks 100 years since the first World Championships were held in the city in 1926, making this the most significant edition in the event’s history.  

Read More
Nigeria Judicial System

Court Orders FCT Workers to Suspend Strike Pending Case Resolution

The National Industrial Court of Nigeria in Abuja has ordered workers under the Joint Union Action Committee to suspend their ongoing strike, following an interlocutory injunction filed by the Minister of the Federal Capital Territory, Nyesom Wike, and the FCT Administration. The suit, filed against the Chairman of the Joint Union Action Committee, Rifkatu Iortyer, and its Secretary, Abdullahi Umar Saleh, under case number NICN/ABJ/17/2026, sought to restrain the defendants and their members from engaging in any industrial action, picketing, or lockout. Delivering his ruling on Tuesday, Justice E.D. Subilim recognized that the matter qualified as a trade dispute and met the required legal conditions but emphasized that the right to strike is not absolute. He directed that workers must halt any strike action once a dispute is brought before the National Industrial Court. Any ongoing strike must cease until the court delivers a final judgment. “An order of interlocutory injunction is hereby granted, restraining the defendants and their representatives from further embarking on any industrial action against the claimants. This order shall remain in effect pending the determination of the suit,” Justice Subilim stated.

Read More
Fuel marketers accuse Dangote Refinery of distributing substandard petrol

Dangote Petroleum Raises Petrol Price to N799 Per Litre, MRS Stations Sell at N839

Dangote Petroleum Refinery has increased the price of petrol sold to marketers from N699 per litre to N799 per litre, with MRS filling stations now retailing the fuel at N839 per litre. In a statement on Monday evening, the refinery said the adjustment follows the end of the festive season. “With the festive period concluded, PMS prices have been modestly realigned to sustainable levels to support long-term market stability and affordability. Under the current alignment, the PMS gantry price is N799 per litre, while MRS retail outlets are selling at N839 per litre,” it said. The refinery stressed its commitment to stable pricing and a steady petrol supply nationwide. It noted that during the festive period, prices were temporarily reduced to ease financial pressure on households during high spending periods. According to the statement, this marks the second consecutive festive season in which the refinery absorbed extra costs in the national interest, citing logistics support in 2024 and a price cut in 2025 as part of efforts to keep fuel affordable and maintain market calm. “Despite the price reduction, many filling stations failed to reflect the new price at the pump, thereby denying Nigerians the benefits of the reduction,” the statement added.

Read More

Femi Adebayo’s Family Defends Him Over Estranged Wife’s Eviction, Cites Bank Foreclosure

A family member of filmmaker Femi Adebayo has spoken out amid social media backlash over the eviction of his estranged wife, Omotayo Sanusi, also known as Iyan Aladuke. Mrs Taiwo Abdulmalik, related to Femi, clarified that the eviction from a Lagos property was due to a bank foreclosure, not abandonment. She explained that Femi purchased the property with a bank loan, and when repayment issues arose, the bank initiated recovery proceedings. “She knew Femi bought those properties with a loan and that the bank was coming for recovery. Those properties belong to him alone, and he is still paying heavy principal with interest,” Abdulmalik said. She added that Femi ensured Sanusi, her family members living with her, and her staff were immediately relocated to a short-let apartment, with all expenses covered. “He made sure everyone was moved safely and paid for everything,” she said. Abdulmalik also stated that Femi encouraged Sanusi to find another rental property, promising to cover the cost, regardless of the price. Abdulmalik further revealed that in 2022, Femi purchased land near Sanusi’s business on Muritala Muhammed Way and registered it in her name as a financial backup. However, he was later surprised when she sold the land and spent the proceeds. Responding to claims that Femi had neglected his family, Abdulmalik emphasized that he continues to support their son, including spending around $50,000 on a medical procedure in India last year. “He has never stopped taking care of his son. He loves his children dearly and is very involved in their lives,” she said. Sanusi, meanwhile, has disputed parts of the family’s account on social media, alleging that armed men came to her business during the eviction and that her elderly mother was also forced out. She said she had avoided taking the matter online but felt compelled to respond to what she described as “false information” circulating about her.

Read More