North Korean Leader Kim Jong Un Reportedly Names 13-Year-Old Daughter Kim Ju Ae As Heir

North Korean leader Kim Jong Un has reportedly chosen his daughter, Kim Ju Ae, as his heir, South Korea’s spy agency told lawmakers on Thursday. The 13-year-old, who has recently appeared alongside her father at high-profile events—including a visit to Beijing in September, her first known trip abroad—has increasingly taken on a prominent public role. The National Intelligence Service (NIS) said it based its assessment on “a range of circumstances,” including Ju Ae’s growing visibility at official events. The agency will closely monitor whether she attends North Korea’s upcoming party congress later this month, the country’s largest political gathering held every five years. The party congress is expected to outline Pyongyang’s priorities for the next five years, covering foreign policy, military strategy, and nuclear ambitions. Lawmakers were told that Ju Ae, previously described by the NIS as being “trained” for succession, has now entered the stage of “successor designation.” “As Kim Ju Ae has shown her presence at various events, including the founding anniversary of the Korean People’s Army and her visit to the Kumsusan Palace of the Sun, and signs have been detected of her voicing her opinion on certain state policies, the NIS believes she has now entered the stage of being designated as successor,” lawmaker Lee Seong-kwen said. Ju Ae is the only publicly known child of Kim Jong Un and his wife, Ri Sol Ju. The NIS also believes Kim has an older son, though he has never been publicly acknowledged or shown in North Korean media.

Read More

CAF Sends Technical Team To Inspect Stadiums In Tanzania, Uganda, Kenya Ahead Of 2027 AFCON

The Confederation of African Football (CAF) has deployed a team of technical experts to Tanzania, Uganda, and Kenya to inspect facilities ahead of the 2027 Africa Cup of Nations, PAMOJA 2027. The three East African nations secured the hosting rights over a joint Nigeria-Benin bid, making the 2027 edition the first to end CAF’s traditional biennial format. CAF President Patrice Motsepe had previously announced that the tournament following 2027 will take place in 2028, with subsequent editions held every four years. The inspection visits, which began this week and will continue until Tuesday, February 17, coincide with Motsepe’s scheduled visit to Tanzania on Friday. The technical team will assess pitches, infrastructure, safety, and security at key match and training venues across the three host countries, in line with CAF’s standards for world-class tournament delivery. “CAF’s inspections form part of a broader strategy to raise standards on and off the pitch across African football. By driving consistent, world-class benchmarks in infrastructure, operations and venue management, CAF aims to enhance the TotalEnergies CAF AFCON’s reputation as among the leading football tournaments in the world,” the governing body said in a statement on Wednesday. The initiative also supports CAF’s wider goal of strengthening a self-sustaining football ecosystem in Africa, partnering with governments to improve facilities, operational capacity, and long-term development. In Tanzania, inspections have started in Dar es Salaam, covering Benjamin Mkapa Stadium and training sites, before moving to Arusha for Samia Suluhu Stadium, and then Zanzibar for Amaan and Fumba Stadiums. Kenya’s programme includes three Nairobi stadiums—Kasarani, Nyayo, and Talanta—alongside training grounds such as the Ulinzi Sports Complex and Kenya Academy of Sports. Uganda’s inspection will cover Entebbe and Kampala, with Mandela National Stadium and other training venues, as well as Hoima City Stadium in Hoima. “CAF will continue to work closely with the three host nations, their governments, and Local Organising Committees to support delivery planning and ensure that preparations intensify for the TotalEnergies CAF AFCON Kenya, Uganda, Tanzania 2027,” the statement added.

Read More

Manchester United Co-Owner Sir Jim Ratcliffe Apologises Over “Colonised By Migrants” Remarks

Manchester United co-owner Sir Jim Ratcliffe has apologised after claiming that Britain has been “colonised” by migrants, acknowledging that his comments offended people in the UK and Europe. The billionaire, who is one of Britain’s wealthiest individuals, faced pressure from senior political figures, including Prime Minister Sir Keir Starmer, to retract the statement. While expressing regret for the offence caused, Sir Jim said he intended to highlight the importance of controlled immigration in supporting economic growth. “I am sorry that my choice of language has offended some people in the UK and Europe and caused concern, but it is important to raise the issue of controlled and well-managed immigration that supports economic growth,” he said in a statement on Thursday. He added that his remarks were made while answering questions about UK policy at the European Industry Summit in Antwerp, where discussions focused on jobs, skills, manufacturing, and economic growth. “My intention was to stress that governments must manage migration alongside investment in skills, industry, and jobs so that long-term prosperity is shared by everyone. It is critical that we maintain an open debate on the challenges facing the UK,” he said. Downing Street welcomed the apology, with the Prime Minister’s spokesman describing the original comments as “offensive and wrong” and calling it “right” that Sir Jim had apologised. Sir Keir Starmer was among the first high-profile figures to demand a retraction. Greater Manchester Mayor Andy Burnham also criticised the remarks, saying they “go against everything for which Manchester has traditionally stood.” He highlighted the positive impact of migrants, including footballers, in enhancing the city region. “If any criticism is needed, it should be directed towards those who have offered little contribution to our life here and have instead spent years siphoning wealth out of one of our proudest institutions,” Burnham added. The anti-discrimination group Kick It Out condemned Sir Jim’s remarks as “disgraceful and deeply divisive,” also challenging his claim that the UK population had grown by 12 million since 2020, which has been proven inaccurate. The controversy traces back to a Sky News interview where Sir Jim said, “You can’t have an economy with nine million people on benefits and huge levels of immigrants coming in. I mean, the UK is being colonised. It’s costing too much money. The UK has been colonised by immigrants.” Sir Jim, founder of chemical giant Ineos in 1998, acquired a minority stake in Manchester United in late 2023, with his group now controlling football operations. His tenure has seen contentious decisions, particularly regarding ticket pricing and availability, sparking protests from fans ahead of the club’s recent home game against Fulham.

Read More
Council Of State Confirms Professor Joash Amupitan As New INEC Chairman

INEC Chairman Vows Arrest Of Vote Buyers Ahead Of 2027 Elections

The Independent National Electoral Commission (INEC) has expressed concern over the rising threat of vote buying ahead of the 2027 general elections, warning that those involved will be arrested and prosecuted. During a press conference, the INEC Chairman said the commission has already engaged security and anti-graft agencies following intelligence reports pointing to the likelihood of vote trading and election-related violence. “We had a meeting with the security. We specifically charged the Nigerian police, the EFCC, and also the ICPC to be on guard so that we can erase the imminence of vote buying, what some people call vote trading.” He explained that the concerns were flagged through evidence-based findings and would not be ignored by the commission. “So we have noted that this is also flagged by the committee, and then the high number of security violence that is likely to occur. They are presented to us as evidence-based information. So we are not going to take it for granted.” According to him, INEC has begun sharing intelligence with its security partners to enable them take proactive steps ahead of the elections. “We are going to be sharing this with our security partners so that they can use the information to take necessary steps that we are supposed to take.” The INEC Chairman stressed that collaboration and information sharing are critical in addressing security challenges in the current political climate. “As we navigate the complexity of security in today’s political climate, it is imperative that we share information, learn from one another, and implement best practices that have proven effective.” He also acknowledged the role of the National Peace Committee, describing its input as vital to maintaining peace and strengthening democracy. “We appreciate the insight and guidance that the National Peace Committee brings to this partnership, and we are eager to work together in promoting peace, educating our communities, and strengthening the foundation of our democracy.” INEC reaffirmed its commitment to ensuring that the 2027 elections reflect the will of the people, free from violence, vote buying, and destruction, adding that unity and collaboration among stakeholders remain key to achieving peaceful and credible polls.

Read More

Vice President Shettima Departs Abuja To Represent President Tinubu At 2026 AU Summit In Ethiopia

Vice President Kashim Shettima has departed Abuja for Addis Ababa, Ethiopia, to represent President Bola Ahmed Tinubu at the 2026 African Union (AU) Summit. The announcement was made in a statement on Thursday by Stanley Nkwocha, Senior Special Assistant to the President on Media & Communications (Office of the Vice President). The summit, themed “Assuring Sustainable Water Availability and Safe Sanitation Systems to Achieve the Goals of Agenda 2063,” will focus on advancing Africa-wide commitments to sustainable water management, improved sanitation, and broader development objectives outlined in the AU’s Agenda 2063 framework. Vice President Shettima will join African leaders at the 39th Ordinary Session of the Assembly of AU Heads of State and Government and the 30th General Assembly, scheduled for February 14 and 15. On the sidelines of the summit, he is expected to attend high-level side events and hold bilateral meetings with political and business leaders to strengthen Nigeria’s diplomatic, economic, and strategic partnerships across the continent. The statement noted that Vice President Shettima is travelling with cabinet ministers and senior government officials and will return to Nigeria after completing his engagements in Addis Ababa.

Read More

Thomas Partey Charged With Two Additional Counts Of Rape Ahead Of November Trial

Former Arsenal midfielder Thomas Partey, 32, has been hit with two additional rape charges. Partey, who denies raping two women and sexually assaulting a third, is due to stand trial in November. The Crown Prosecution Service has authorised the new allegations, and he is scheduled to appear at Westminster Magistrates’ Court on Friday, March 13, in connection with them. He previously pleaded not guilty to five counts of rape and one count of sexual assault at Southwark Crown Court in September last year. The alleged offences are said to have occurred between 2021 and 2022, when Partey was a regular first-team player at Arsenal. He was initially charged four days after leaving the club, following the expiration of his contract in June. Now playing for Spanish side Villarreal, Partey remains on bail. His conditions allow him to continue playing football, but he must inform police of any international travel at least 24 hours in advance and is barred from contacting the complainants. Partey continues to be an important member of the Ghana national team, who are set to face England in the World Cup group stage in the United States on June 23.

Read More

Actor James Van Der Beek, Star of Dawson’s Creek, Dies At 47

American actor James Van Der Beek, best known for his role as Dawson Leery in Dawson’s Creek, has died at the age of 47. His wife, Kimberly Brook, announced his passing on Instagram, saying he died peacefully on February 11, 2025, surrounded by family. “Our beloved James David has passed peacefully this morning. He met his final days with courage, faith, and grace. There is much to share regarding his wishes, his love for humanity, and the sacrifices of time. Those days will come. For now, we ask for peaceful privacy as we grieve our husband, father, son, brother, and friend,” she wrote. The family has requested privacy during this time of mourning. 🕊️ Born on March 8, 1977, in Connecticut, Van Der Beek began acting in local theater productions as a teenager and rose to international fame with the television series Dawson’s Creek (1998–2003).

Read More

Kwankwasiyya Movement Condemns US Bill Targeting Senator Kwankwaso Over Alleged Religious Violations

The Kwankwasiyya Movement has rejected attempts by five US lawmakers to blacklist its leader, Senator Rabiu Musa Kwankwaso, over alleged “severe religious freedom violations” in Nigeria. The move follows the introduction of the Nigeria Religious Freedom and Accountability Act 2026 (HR 7457) in the US Congress on Tuesday. If passed, the bill would direct the US State and Treasury Departments to impose visa restrictions and freeze assets of Kwankwaso and organizations such as the Miyetti Allah Cattle Breeders Association (MACBAN), accusing them of participating in the systemic persecution of Christians. Responding on Thursday, the movement described the allegations against the former Kano State Governor as “unfounded” and “politically motivated,” demanding his immediate removal from the proposed legislation. “We state unequivocally that these allegations are consistent with nothing in the verifiable public record of Senator Kwankwaso’s life and service,” said spokesperson Habibu Sale Mohammed. The statement specifically addressed claims by US Representative Riley Moore, a sponsor of the bill, who linked Kwankwaso to religious extremism due to the implementation of Sharia law during his governorship. The movement argued that Sharia-based legal systems in Northern Nigeria are constitutional and not unique to Kano State. “The constitutional development of Sharia-based legal systems was neither unique to Kano State nor the initiative of one individual,” the statement said. “To single out Senator Kwankwaso while similar arrangements exist in several states raises serious questions about the evidentiary standard behind such a recommendation.” Highlighting Kwankwaso’s public record, the movement said he has never been indicted, prosecuted, or credibly accused of religious persecution, extremism, or human rights violations. It noted that the Sharia-based systems operate under constitutional oversight and appellate review. The group also cited Nigeria’s diplomatic relations with countries that maintain diverse legal frameworks, arguing that constitutional sovereignty and contextual understanding should guide international engagement. “The United States maintains strategic relationships with several nations whose legal systems incorporate Islamic jurisprudence. It would therefore be inconsistent to treat Nigeria’s constitutionally grounded legal pluralism differently without clear and individualized evidence of wrongdoing,” the statement said. Defending Kwankwaso’s tenure as governor, the movement emphasized his “decisive measures” to curb extremist threats and protect lives across religious divides. It also referenced his 2023 presidential ticket with Bishop Isaac Idahosa as evidence of his commitment to religious inclusion and national balance. “It is deeply concerning that an opposition political leader with a longstanding national profile would be isolated in a matter of such gravity without transparent and verifiable findings,” Mohammed said. The movement urged the US Congress to reject the recommendation and remove Kwankwaso’s name from the bill, warning that the proposal may be influenced by individuals with personal or political agendas. “Allegations of this magnitude must be grounded in demonstrable facts, not generalized assumptions,” the statement added. Reaffirming its support for Kwankwaso, the Kwankwasiyya Movement described him as “a nationalist, a democrat, and a statesman whose public service has been anchored on justice, unity, and inclusive governance,” expressing confidence that fairness and due process would prevail. The bill, introduced by US Representatives Chris Smith, Riley Moore, Brian Mast, Mario Diaz-Balart, and Bill Huizenga, alleges that Kwankwaso is among those contributing to the “systemic persecution of Christians” in Nigeria.

Read More