IPOB Directs Onitsha Main Market Traders To Reopen As Soludo Enforces One-Week Closure

The Indigenous People of Biafra (IPOB) has instructed traders and shop owners at the Onitsha Main Market to reopen for business on Tuesday, in spite of Anambra State Governor, Prof. Chukwuma Soludo’s directive shutting the market for one week. Governor Soludo had earlier on Monday ordered the closure after traders allegedly failed to comply with the state government’s instruction to ignore the Monday sit-at-home order. The directive was issued during the governor’s visit to the market, accompanied by senior government officials and security agencies. He warned that the shutdown could be extended if traders continued to disregard government directives, noting that security operatives had sealed the market to ensure compliance. Soludo described the action as part of efforts to restore normal economic activities in the state. However, IPOB, in a statement released late Monday by its spokesman, Emma Powerful, told traders across Anambra State to resume their legitimate businesses on Tuesday. He said the group’s directive was based on the people’s right to pursue their livelihoods and not an attempt to challenge the authority of the state government. “The IPOB hereby declares that tomorrow, January 27, 2026, our people in Anambra State shall resume their legitimate business activities and open their shops and markets,” Powerful said. “This action is not in defiance of any gubernatorial order but in the exercise of their God-given right to pursue their daily livelihoods.” Powerful also renewed IPOB’s call on the Federal Government to immediately release the group’s detained leader, Nnamdi Kanu, arguing that his freedom would help restore peace and stability in the South-East. He warned that any arrest, harassment, or intimidation of traders attempting to reopen their shops would be resisted, stressing that IPOB was not seeking confrontation with the Anambra State Government but demanded respect for the wishes of the people. The group insisted that markets in Anambra would open on Tuesday, declaring that no force could prevent residents from carrying out their economic activities.

Read More

Abba Atiku Says Not Even His Father, Atiku Abubakar, Can Stop Tinubu In 2027

Abba Atiku, son of former Vice-President Atiku Abubakar, has stated that no political party stands a chance of defeating President Bola Tinubu in the 2027 presidential election. Abba, who recently joined the All Progressives Congress (APC), made the remarks in Yola, Adamawa State, on Monday after receiving his membership registration card at Gwadabawa ward in Yola North LGA. He explained that his decision to join the APC was driven by a desire to contribute to what he described as broad-based economic and human development reforms under the current administration. “I want to make it very clear that nobody or any political party can stop President Bola Tinubu from returning to Aso Rock come 2027,” Abba said, according to PUNCH. He praised Tinubu for his leadership style, saying, “Nigerians have seen his good work; he is not a tribalist, and he doesn’t make appointments based on religion or region, but his decisions are purely on merit.” Abba also highlighted the infrastructural growth and human capital development achieved under Tinubu’s government as reasons for his support. “The president needs your support to continue with the good work. We should mobilise more people and, beyond party lines, back our president,” he added. His brother, Adamu Atiku, remains a member of the Peoples Democratic Party (PDP) and currently serves as Commissioner for Works and Energy Development under Governor Ahmadu Fintiri of Adamawa State. Their father, the former vice-president, is seeking the presidency under the African Democratic Congress (ADC), a party in which none of his sons are currently active.

Read More

President Bola Tinubu Arrives In Türkiye For State Visit To Boost Bilateral Relations

President Bola Tinubu has arrived in Türkiye for a state visit aimed at strengthening diplomatic and economic ties between Nigeria and the Turkish Republic. The President landed at Ankara Esenboğan Airport at 9:05 p.m. local time on Monday, the State House media office confirmed. He was welcomed by a Turkish government delegation led by Minister of National Education, Yusuf Tekin. According to Tinubu’s Special Adviser on Information and Strategy, Bayo Onanuga, the visit will focus on expanding cooperation in key sectors including security, education, social development, innovation, and aviation. The two countries are also expected to engage in strategic discussions on finance, trade, investment, and communication. The agenda includes high-level meetings between officials from both nations and the signing of memoranda of understanding covering scientific research, energy, technical collaboration, media and communications, military cooperation, and protocol. A business forum will also bring together investors from Nigeria and Türkiye to explore opportunities for mutual benefit. The Presidency noted that Tinubu’s visit is a reciprocal gesture following Turkish President Recep Tayyip Erdogan’s official visit to Nigeria from October 19 to 20, 2021. Members of the Nigerian delegation accompanying the President include Minister of Foreign Affairs Yusuf Tuggar; Attorney General and Minister of Justice Lateef Fagbemi; Minister of Defence Christopher Musa; and Chairman of the House Committee on Defence Jimi Benson. Also part of the team are Minister of Women Affairs and Social Development Imaan Suleiman-Ibrahim; Minister of Interior Olubunmi Tunji-Ojo; Minister of Culture and Creative Economy Hannatu Musawa; National Security Adviser Nuhu Ribadu; and Director-General of the National Intelligence Agency Mohammed Mohammed. President Tinubu is scheduled to return to Nigeria at the conclusion of the visit.

Read More

IShowSpeed Picks Nigerian Jollof Over Ghanaian Jollof During Africa Tour

American streamer IShowSpeed has once again sparked conversation in the West African jollof rice debate, declaring Nigerian jollof his favorite after tasting different regional versions during his ongoing “Speed Does Africa” tour. The YouTube star has been traveling across Africa to explore local culture, cuisine, and tourism. Along the way, he sampled jollof rice from Senegal, Ghana, and Nigeria, ultimately crowning Nigeria’s version as the best. During a live stream in Ghana, he commented on the rivalry, saying: “I think Nigeria is better, this tastes good too but I don’t know tho… I don’t know tho but…” His remarks quickly drew attention on social media, ending the friendly debate in his view, though fans continue to discuss their favorite versions of the popular West African dish. IShowSpeed’s Africa tour has also seen him warmly welcomed by fans in every country he has visited, giving him the opportunity to experience local traditions, meet supporters, and showcase the continent’s vibrant culture. 🗣️Nigeria jollof is better than Ghana jollof Ishowspeed — after testing Ghana jollof pic.twitter.com/2y3xQCQ79K — Real (@real65877) January 26, 2026

Read More

Sunday Igboho Returns To Nigeria After Removal From Wanted List, Praises Tinubu And Oba Ladoja

Chief Sunday Adeyemo, popularly known as Sunday Igboho, has returned to Nigeria following the removal of his name from the country’s wanted list. Igboho arrived from self-exile in Cotonou, Benin Republic, and was warmly received at his Soka, Ibadan residence by supporters, Muslim clerics, and well-wishers, who offered prayers for his safe return as well as for President Bola Tinubu and the traditional rulers who helped secure his freedom. The activist, visibly emotional, recounted the difficulties he faced under the late President Muhammadu Buhari’s administration, when he was declared wanted, denied a Nigerian passport, and had his bank accounts frozen despite favorable court rulings. His return marks another homecoming after fleeing Nigeria on July 1, 2021, following a raid on his Ibadan residence by a combined team of the Department of State Services and the Nigerian Army over alleged stockpiling of arms and ammunition. Igboho had previously returned briefly to Nigeria in 2024 for his late mother’s burial. This time, he proceeded to the palace of the Olubadan of Ibadanland, Oba Rashidi Ladoja, where he was warmly welcomed by supporters. Oba Ladoja prayed for his success and praised his resilience. In a speech at the palace, Igboho expressed gratitude to God, the President, and traditional leaders for their support. He said, “I’m grateful to God Almighty for this day. I’m also grateful to our President. Baba Olubadan Ladoja was instrumental to my final freedom. Since the day I was in Cotonou, he has been checking up on me as a son. Baba Adebanjo also helped me. Baba Ladoja spoke with elders in Yoruba Land and coordinated with the President to ensure my clearance.” He added, “He told me to pack my load and return home. I never thought I would come back. I’m very happy, which is why I have come to pay homage to Baba Ladoja. I’m sincerely grateful to President Bola Tinubu.” Igboho also called for unity among Yoruba people, saying, “My advice to Yoruba people is for us to unite so that we can take our region to greater heights. I’m confident that President Bola Tinubu is making efforts to improve security.”

Read More

Kanye West Apologizes For Antisemitic Remarks, Attributes Behavior To Undiagnosed Brain Injury

American rapper Kanye West, now known as Ye, has issued a public apology for his past antisemitic remarks, attributing his behaviour to an undiagnosed brain injury sustained more than two decades ago. Ye took out a full-page advertisement in the Monday, January 26 edition of The Wall Street Journal, titled “To Those I’ve Hurt,” in which he detailed his struggles with mental health and the impact of his bipolar type-1 disorder. The ad was signed by Ye, marked as paid for by Yeezy, and included contact information for the company’s CFO. He revealed that a car accident 25 years ago caused a jaw fracture and injury to the right frontal lobe of his brain, which went largely unnoticed at the time. The undiagnosed injury, he said, contributed to his bipolar disorder and episodes of detachment from reality. “Twenty-five years ago, I was in a car accident that broke my jaw and caused injury to the right frontal lobe of my brain,” the advertisement read. “The deeper injury, the one inside my skull, went unnoticed. That medical oversight caused serious damage to my mental health and led to my bipolar type-1 diagnosis.” Ye described bipolar disorder as a “debilitating disease” that distorts perception, leaving sufferers convinced they are seeing the world clearly while losing touch with reality. He admitted that his manic episodes caused him to act in ways he now deeply regrets. “In early 2025, I fell into a four-month-long manic episode of psychotic, paranoid, and impulsive behavior that destroyed my life,” he said. “I lost touch with reality, and some of the people I love the most, I treated the worst. Looking back, I became detached from my true self.” He credited his wife, Bianca Censori, for encouraging him to seek professional help after “hitting rock bottom,” and said he has since found stability through medication, therapy, exercise, and clean living. Addressing his antisemitic outbursts, Ye described those actions as an “out-of-body experience” linked to his mental health struggles. He admitted that in his “fractured state” he gravitated toward destructive symbols, including selling merchandise bearing the swastika, but emphasized that he is not a Nazi or antisemite and expressed love for Jewish people. He also issued an apology to the Black community, writing: “To the black community – which held me down through all of the highs and lows and darkest of times. The black community is, unquestionably, the foundation of who I am. I am so sorry to have let you down. I love us.” Ye concluded by asking for patience and understanding as he continues to recover and rebuild his life. His antisemitic remarks first gained widespread attention in late 2022, including a controversial tweet in which he threatened action against Jewish people.

Read More

Kwankwaso’s Son Steps Down As Kano State Commissioner For Youth And Sports Development

Mustapha Rabiu Kwankwaso, son of former NNPP presidential candidate Senator Rabiu Kwankwaso, has stepped down as Kano State Commissioner for Youth and Sports Development. He made the announcement on Monday through a statement on his official Facebook page, formally resigning from the State Executive Council. In the statement, he expressed gratitude to Governor Abba Kabir Yusuf for the opportunity to serve. “It is with a heavy heart that I announce my resignation as Honourable Commissioner, Ministry of Youth and Sports Development, and member of the Kano State Executive Council,” Kwankwaso said. He thanked the governor for trusting him and reflected on the experiences and lessons gained while serving the people of the state. “I am deeply grateful to Governor Abba Kabir Yusuf for giving me the chance to serve the great people of Kano State. My time in office has been full of valuable experiences and lessons, and I sincerely appreciate the confidence placed in me,” he added. Kwankwaso also expressed hope that the youth and sports sectors would continue to receive adequate support under the current administration, stressing the importance of sustained investment in youth empowerment and sports development. “As I step down, I pray that the youth of Kano State continue to get the attention and opportunities they deserve. I remain hopeful that our sports initiatives will thrive and grow in the coming years,” he said. He concluded by praying for the prosperity of the state and its leadership: “May Allah (SWT) continue to bless our beloved Kano State. I wish the government and people all the very best.” His resignation comes amid ongoing political reshuffles in Kano State following Governor Yusuf’s recent exit from the NNPP.

Read More

BREAKING: Kano State Governor Abba Yusuf Officially Rejoins APC

Kano State Governor Abba Yusuf has formally rejoined the All Progressives Congress (APC), marking a return to the ruling party. The governor officially defected on Monday at the Coronation Hall of the Kano Government House, where he was warmly received by key party figures. Among those present were former APC National Chairman and ex-Governor of Kano State, Abdullahi Ganduje; Deputy Senate President and Kano South Senator, Barau Jibrin; Minister of State for Housing and Urban Development, Yusuf Ata; and other senior party leaders. Speaking at the event, Governor Yusuf said his decision to return to the APC was driven by a desire to work more closely with the Federal Government under President Bola Tinubu. Yusuf was elected governor in 2023 under the New Nigeria Peoples Party (NNPP) but had resigned from the party earlier, along with several members of the Kano State House of Assembly and the House of Representatives. His return to the APC signals renewed alignment with the ruling party ahead of future political engagements.

Read More