Nigerian Man Arrested for Killing University of Toronto Student Shivank Avasthi

A Nigerian man, 28-year-old Babatunde Afuwape, has been arrested and charged with first-degree murder in the fatal shooting of 20-year-old University of Toronto student Shivank Avasthi on the Scarborough campus last month. Detective Sergeant Stacey McCabe described the attack as “planned and deliberate,” adding that Afuwape “was there to kill somebody” but had no known connection to Avasthi. “I’m not sure how he chose Shivank or what his ultimate plan was that day,” she said. The shooting happened on 23 December 2025 around 3:30 p.m. along Highland Creek Trail near Old Kingston Road, a route frequently used by students. Avasthi was found with a gunshot wound and was pronounced dead at the scene. His death marked Toronto’s 41st homicide of the year. McCabe noted that Afuwape, who had been on parole for previous firearm offences, had spent about an hour on the campus before the shooting. A firearm has been recovered, and police are appealing to anyone who witnessed the attack to come forward. “We understand this incident caused fear and concern among students, staff, and the surrounding community, and we want to reassure everyone that the person responsible is in custody,” McCabe said. Avasthi, a third-year student from India, was remembered by friends as caring and supportive. Caitlin Whittier, a friend from the university’s cheerleading team, said, “He would do anything for the people he cared about… it was the love and friendship that I valued most about him.” The university’s cheerleading and powerlifting clubs also paid tribute to Avasthi on social media, remembering his positive spirit and encouragement of others. Afuwape was arrested on 28 December following a parole violation. Police stressed that the investigation is ongoing and urged anyone with information to come forward, noting that others may have been present on the trail at the time of the shooting. The apparently random attack has shocked the campus community and renewed concerns about student safety on and near university grounds.

Read More

Yusuf Datti Baba-Ahmed Says He Will Support Peter Obi in 2027 If He Returns to Labour Party

Yusuf Datti Baba-Ahmed, former Labour Party (LP) vice-presidential candidate in 2023, has said he is ready to back Peter Obi in the 2027 presidential election if the ex-Anambra governor returns to the LP. Speaking in an interview with Trust TV, Baba-Ahmed addressed Obi’s recent defection from the LP to the African Democratic Congress (ADC), stressing that their personal relationship remains strong despite the political shift. “Peter Obi did not invite me to join him in ADC because everyone knows me. There are certain things you would rather not approach me with; people know me even while I was in Parliament,” he said. Baba-Ahmed added that his respect for Obi has not wavered. He recalled Obi attending a family wedding at his home, saying, “Our personal relationships are solid. Only on the 12th, he attended the wedding in my house, in person, where I have much, much, much respect for Peter Obi.” The former lawmaker said he would support Obi’s 2027 presidential ambitions if he fails to secure the ADC ticket and returns to the Labour Party. “If he doesn’t get the ADC ticket, come back, please. I will work for you and try to get him the ticket in Labour,” Baba-Ahmed said. He also promised to help reconcile Obi with any party members who feel aggrieved. “I will try and mend the ways between him and whoever are not in good terms with him,” he added.

Read More

Former Chief Of Army Staff Buratai Sues Retired Officer For N1 Billion Over Alleged Terror Links

Former Chief of Army Staff, Lt. Gen. Tukur Yusufu Buratai, retired, has filed a N1 billion defamation lawsuit against fellow retired officer, Maj. Gen. Danjuma Hamisu Ali-Keffi, at the Kaduna State High Court over allegations linking him to terrorism. Filed on January 8, 2026, at the Kaduna Judicial Division, the suit claims Ali-Keffi made and circulated false statements suggesting that Buratai was involved in terrorism financing, had ties to Boko Haram suspects, and participated in the alleged illegal release or concealment of terror suspects during his tenure as COAS. Buratai’s lawyers, A.I. Aliyu and A.M. Hassan of Law Plus Consult, said the statements, published on Facebook, X (formerly Twitter), WhatsApp, Instagram, and other online platforms, were widely circulated nationally and internationally, causing serious harm to his reputation. According to the court documents, Buratai denied all allegations, stressing that he has never been investigated, indicted, or convicted for terrorism or related offences. The claims, he said, falsely portray him as corrupt, unpatriotic, and complicit in acts against Nigeria’s national security. The former army chief is seeking a court order compelling Ali-Keffi to retract the statements and issue a public apology on the same platforms where the claims appeared, including Sahara Reporters and at least two national newspapers. Buratai is also seeking N1 billion in general damages, a perpetual injunction preventing further publication of the statements, and full coverage of legal costs. The writ directs Ali-Keffi to enter an appearance within 21 days of service, with the court allowed to proceed in his absence if he fails to respond. As of the filing of the suit, no hearing date had been set, and Ali-Keffi had yet to file a response.

Read More

Anthony Joshua Pays Heartfelt Tribute To Late Friends And Trainers

British boxing star Anthony Joshua has expressed deep sorrow over the loss of his close friends and trainers, following funeral ceremonies in their honour. The late Abdul “Latz” Ayodele and Sina Ghami, Joshua’s personal trainer and strength and conditioning coach, died in a car crash on the Lagos‑Ibadan Expressway on December 29, 2025. Joshua survived the accident with minor injuries and was later discharged from hospital. In a touching social media post, Joshua shared a black-and-white image of the two men smiling from heaven and wrote: “Thank you for all the love and care you have shown my brothers. I didn’t even realise how special they are. I’ll just be walking with them and cracking jokes with them, not even knowing God kept me in the presence of great men. 100% it’s tough for me, but I know it’s even tougher for their parents. I have a strong mind, and I believe God knows their hearts. May God have mercy on my brothers.” The tribute highlights the profound bond Joshua had with the deceased, who played vital roles in both his personal life and boxing career. Fans and fellow athletes have poured in messages of support as Joshua grieves the loss of two men who were key to his journey inside and outside the ring. Through his post, Joshua not only mourns his friends but also honours their memory, acknowledging the love, guidance, and laughter they shared with him.

Read More

Rivers APC Rejects Impeachment Threat Against Governor Fubara

The Rivers State chapter of the All Progressives Congress (APC) has condemned moves in the State House of Assembly to impeach Governor Siminalayi Fubara and his deputy, describing the action as “untenable” and warning against efforts that could destabilize the state government. The statement follows reports that the Rivers State House of Assembly had formally initiated impeachment proceedings against Governor Fubara. Speaker Martins Amaewhule reportedly labelled the governor a “mistake” and accused him of gross misconduct. In response, APC spokesperson Darlington Nwauju issued a statement emphasizing the party’s rejection of the impeachment move. “The leadership of the APC in Rivers State has noted the recent developments in the State House of Assembly. While we respect the legislature’s independence and constitutional responsibility for checks and balances, we categorically reject any attempt to remove our Governor and his deputy through impeachment,” the statement read. Nwauju argued that the impeachment threat is rooted in budget issues, noting that under the 2025 emergency rule, a budget totaling ₦1.485 trillion was transmitted to and approved by the National Assembly, covering a full year until August 2026. He added that the Governor is entitled under the constitution to a six-month spending window into a new fiscal year and may choose not to present a supplementary budget. The APC warned lawmakers, especially party members, to resist external pressures aimed at destabilizing the government. “Our party will take all necessary steps to protect the APC-led government in Rivers State from internal conflicts. We call on members of the State Assembly to immediately halt the impeachment process to safeguard the state’s progress and preserve the party’s reputation. Let Rivers State remain a democracy, not a politicocracy,” the statement concluded. The party reiterated its commitment to ensuring the stability of the Fubara administration and the continued development of Rivers State.

Read More

Amala, Nyash, Abeg – Oxford English Dictionary Adds New Nigerian Words To Latest Update

The Oxford English Dictionary (OED) has further enriched its collection by including new Nigerian and West African words in its latest update, released in December 2025 and extended into 2026. The announcement was made on Wednesday via X, highlighting terms drawn from everyday speech, food, music, markets, and pop culture, reflecting the growing global influence of African languages on English. The December 2025 update introduced over 500 new words, phrases, and senses, while revising more than 1,000 existing entries as part of the OED’s quarterly review process. Catherine Sangster, Author and Head of Pronunciations at the OED, said the update represents a significant step in documenting pronunciations across different English varieties. “With this update we introduce a new model for the transcription of Maltese English pronunciations; this is the nineteenth World English pronunciation model in our collection. We also celebrate a decade of OED having spoken pronunciations, first added in December 2015,” Sangster noted. She added that the update expanded audio pronunciation features, including multiple recordings where necessary, with several West African English terms receiving new pronunciations. Among the Nigerian entries added is abeg, which the OED defines as an interjection or adverb “to express a range of emotions, such as surprise, exasperation, disbelief, etc.” Another is amala, described as “a kind of dough made of yam, cassava, or unripe plantain flour, typically formed into a ball and served as an accompaniment to other dishes.” The dictionary also formally recognised Afrobeats, defined as “originally: a style of popular music incorporating elements of West African music and of jazz, soul, and funk.” Other Nigerian and West African terms added include Ghana Must Go, biko, Mammy Market, nyash, and Moi Moi, words widely used in daily conversation and cultural contexts in Nigeria and Ghana. Additional African entries include abrokyire, Adowa, ampesi, benachin, bichir, domoda, dumboy, hiplife, kpanlogo, light soup, nawetan, obroni, poda-poda, and yassa. This latest expansion follows a previous update in which the OED added 20 Nigerian words, including japa, agbero, eba, 419, and abi, reflecting Nigerian street language, food culture, migration discussions, and online slang. Other entries from that list included area boy, yahoo boy, yahoo, Naija, suya, kobo, Edo, Kanuri, jand, janded, cross-carpet, and cross-carpeting. The updates underscore the OED’s ongoing effort to capture the evolving English language and highlight the growing global impact of African words and expressions.

Read More

Lagos Govt Denies Rift Between Sanwo-Olu And Ogun Governor Abiodun

The Lagos State Government has refuted reports claiming a fallout between Governor Babajide Sanwo-Olu and his Ogun State counterpart, Prince Dapo Abiodun, insisting that the story is false and misleading. The denial was made in a statement released on Thursday by the Special Adviser on Media and Publicity to the Lagos governor, Gboyega Akosile, in response to reports circulating on some blogs and online platforms. Akosile said the reports wrongly suggested tension between the two governors, stressing that such claims do not reflect the true nature of their relationship. He described the narrative as completely untrue, noting that Governors Sanwo-Olu and Abiodun maintain a cordial and productive relationship, with regular interactions and ongoing collaboration on issues affecting both states. “For the avoidance of doubt, Governor Babajide Sanwo-Olu and Prince Dapo Abiodun share a warm, brotherly relationship. They interact frequently and collaborate on matters that promote development in Lagos and Ogun states,” the statement read. Akosile added that the close bond between the two leaders is reinforced by the shared borders and strong socio-cultural ties between Lagos and Ogun states, making cooperation unavoidable. He warned those spreading the reports to stop pushing falsehoods capable of creating unnecessary tension, while emphasizing that both governors remain committed to a common goal of improving the welfare and quality of life of residents in their respective states.

Read More

Annie Idibia Breaks Silence On 2025 Ordeals With Emotional New Year Reflection

Nollywood actress Annie Idibia has ushered in the New Year with a deeply personal reflection on the hardships she endured in 2025. Sharing a video of herself standing in front of a mirror, Annie poured out her emotions in a powerful caption that captured both pain and resilience: “#DESPITE All that 2025 threw at me AN EXTREMELY PAINFUL BLESSING.. #Despite it all, I STAND.” The post struck a chord with many, as 2025 marked one of the most difficult chapters of her life. During the year, Annie officially ended her marriage to music icon 2Baba, a union that had long played out in the public eye. The situation drew even more attention after the singer moved on and later married Natasha Osawaru. Despite the emotional toll of the divorce and the intense public scrutiny that followed, Annie maintained a quiet but visible journey of self-reflection and healing. Her New Year message suggests a woman choosing strength over bitterness, and growth over defeat. The post has since drawn an outpouring of support from fans and colleagues, many applauding her courage and ability to find meaning in pain as she steps into a new chapter of her life.

Read More